PDA

View Full Version : floater coat

Lure builder
August 15th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Anybody use the mustang (or other brand?) products ie. vest, jacket, etc. Thay
are like a clothing item but serve an auxiliary function of being a pfd. I have
a need for this product for fishing around high piers. Comments appreciated
concerning brand and functionality of the product. Thanks

Calif Bill
August 15th, 2004, 08:36 PM
"Lure builder" > wrote in message
> Anybody use the mustang (or other brand?) products ie. vest, jacket, etc.
Thay
> are like a clothing item but serve an auxiliary function of being a pfd. I
have
> a need for this product for fishing around high piers. Comments
appreciated
> concerning brand and functionality of the product. Thanks

I have the Sterns Float coat. Is comfortable, but a little short on me
(6'4"). I highly recommend a jacket or coat when on high piers or near cold
water. Found a body a lot of years ago. 24 yo that slipped while trying to
untangle a fish around the piling. Fell into the Sacramento River and
conked his head.
Bill

Calif Bill
August 15th, 2004, 08:36 PM
"Lure builder" > wrote in message
> Anybody use the mustang (or other brand?) products ie. vest, jacket, etc.
Thay
> are like a clothing item but serve an auxiliary function of being a pfd. I
have
> a need for this product for fishing around high piers. Comments
appreciated
> concerning brand and functionality of the product. Thanks

I have the Sterns Float coat. Is comfortable, but a little short on me
(6'4"). I highly recommend a jacket or coat when on high piers or near cold
water. Found a body a lot of years ago. 24 yo that slipped while trying to
untangle a fish around the piling. Fell into the Sacramento River and
conked his head.
Bill

Lure builder
August 16th, 2004, 03:41 AM
High piers and cold water is quite dangerous. As soon as you hit the water you
can ingest many litres. It's a reflex body reaction to cold water. Makes it
difficult to get to the ladder which is along the pier. Seems silly wearing a
pfd but not at all. A float coat would help and they don't seem to be commonly
available in the stores

Lure builder
August 16th, 2004, 03:41 AM
High piers and cold water is quite dangerous. As soon as you hit the water you
can ingest many litres. It's a reflex body reaction to cold water. Makes it
difficult to get to the ladder which is along the pier. Seems silly wearing a
pfd but not at all. A float coat would help and they don't seem to be commonly
available in the stores

Lure builder
August 16th, 2004, 03:41 AM
High piers and cold water is quite dangerous. As soon as you hit the water you
can ingest many litres. It's a reflex body reaction to cold water. Makes it
difficult to get to the ladder which is along the pier. Seems silly wearing a
pfd but not at all. A float coat would help and they don't seem to be commonly
available in the stores

Charles B. Summers
August 16th, 2004, 04:02 AM
Actually... the cold water doesn't make you ingest the water. Most drowning
deaths in cold water are caused from fatigue, because the victims do not
remember to breathe deeply enough to replace their body's oxygen. Anytime
I'm out on the lake in cold weather, I try to bring up that subject with the
guy in the back.

*Note to self... after reformatting computers... refill the kill-file.

"Lure builder" > wrote in message
> High piers and cold water is quite dangerous. As soon as you hit the water
you
> can ingest many litres. It's a reflex body reaction to cold water. Makes
it
> difficult to get to the ladder which is along the pier. Seems silly
wearing a
> pfd but not at all. A float coat would help and they don't seem to be
commonly
> available in the stores

Charles B. Summers
August 16th, 2004, 04:02 AM
Actually... the cold water doesn't make you ingest the water. Most drowning
deaths in cold water are caused from fatigue, because the victims do not
remember to breathe deeply enough to replace their body's oxygen. Anytime
I'm out on the lake in cold weather, I try to bring up that subject with the
guy in the back.

*Note to self... after reformatting computers... refill the kill-file.

"Lure builder" > wrote in message
> High piers and cold water is quite dangerous. As soon as you hit the water
you
> can ingest many litres. It's a reflex body reaction to cold water. Makes
it
> difficult to get to the ladder which is along the pier. Seems silly
wearing a
> pfd but not at all. A float coat would help and they don't seem to be
commonly
> available in the stores

Charles B. Summers
August 16th, 2004, 04:02 AM
Actually... the cold water doesn't make you ingest the water. Most drowning
deaths in cold water are caused from fatigue, because the victims do not
remember to breathe deeply enough to replace their body's oxygen. Anytime
I'm out on the lake in cold weather, I try to bring up that subject with the
guy in the back.

*Note to self... after reformatting computers... refill the kill-file.

"Lure builder" > wrote in message
> High piers and cold water is quite dangerous. As soon as you hit the water
you
> can ingest many litres. It's a reflex body reaction to cold water. Makes
it
> difficult to get to the ladder which is along the pier. Seems silly
wearing a
> pfd but not at all. A float coat would help and they don't seem to be
commonly
> available in the stores

Lure builder
August 17th, 2004, 02:25 AM
Charles
>Actually... the cold water doesn't make you ingest the water. Most drowning
>deaths in cold water are caused from fatigue, because the victims do not
>remember to breathe deeply enough to replace their body's oxygen. Anytime
>I'm out on the lake in cold weather, I try to bring up that subject with the
>guy in the back.
>
>*Note to self... after reformatting computers... refill the kill-file.

Are you sure of what you are saying. I have my info from a researcher
(professor) on the topic. The body when it hits cold water there is a shudder
reaction. This can cause you to ingest many litres of water. This is quite
dangerous and cause you to drown. It doesn't happen in all cases to the same
extent. It could cause a strong swimmer to drown. That same swimmer if he
folows your reasoning would think he would have to be fatigued in order to
drown. After learning this i always wear a pfd in the canoe..
Read about drowning a lot of times the individual jus disappears below the
surface.

Lure builder
August 17th, 2004, 02:25 AM
Charles
>Actually... the cold water doesn't make you ingest the water. Most drowning
>deaths in cold water are caused from fatigue, because the victims do not
>remember to breathe deeply enough to replace their body's oxygen. Anytime
>I'm out on the lake in cold weather, I try to bring up that subject with the
>guy in the back.
>
>*Note to self... after reformatting computers... refill the kill-file.

Are you sure of what you are saying. I have my info from a researcher
(professor) on the topic. The body when it hits cold water there is a shudder
reaction. This can cause you to ingest many litres of water. This is quite
dangerous and cause you to drown. It doesn't happen in all cases to the same
extent. It could cause a strong swimmer to drown. That same swimmer if he
folows your reasoning would think he would have to be fatigued in order to
drown. After learning this i always wear a pfd in the canoe..
Read about drowning a lot of times the individual jus disappears below the
surface.

Lure builder
August 17th, 2004, 02:25 AM
Charles
>Actually... the cold water doesn't make you ingest the water. Most drowning
>deaths in cold water are caused from fatigue, because the victims do not
>remember to breathe deeply enough to replace their body's oxygen. Anytime
>I'm out on the lake in cold weather, I try to bring up that subject with the
>guy in the back.
>
>*Note to self... after reformatting computers... refill the kill-file.

Are you sure of what you are saying. I have my info from a researcher
(professor) on the topic. The body when it hits cold water there is a shudder
reaction. This can cause you to ingest many litres of water. This is quite
dangerous and cause you to drown. It doesn't happen in all cases to the same
extent. It could cause a strong swimmer to drown. That same swimmer if he
folows your reasoning would think he would have to be fatigued in order to
drown. After learning this i always wear a pfd in the canoe..
Read about drowning a lot of times the individual jus disappears below the
surface.

Charles Summers
August 17th, 2004, 02:48 PM
http://pedsccm.wustl.edu/all-net/english/neurpage/protect/nr-dn.htm

In human adults and animals, immersion in icy water results in involuntary
reflex hyperventilation and a decreased breath holding ability to less than
10 seconds

http://www.telmedpak.com/homes.asp?a=first_aid&b=nd
Drowning can happen in many ways, but all deaths from drowning are due to
lack of oxygen (asphyxiation). It is not important whether or not the lungs
fill up with water, or whether there is salt water or fresh water. What
matters, is that how much oxygen continues to reach the victim's brain.

http://www.capital.net/com/nckayak/nck_safety_p4.htm

Cold water can kill in three ways. The canoeist probably suffered cold shock
resulting in ineffective breathing, rapid onset of panic, confusion, and
inneffective swimming, struggling briefly at the surface and then sinking.
The marines may have managed the initial cold shock, but the cold water
rendered their extremities neuromuscularly dysfunctional within several
minutes, causing death by drowning. The fishermen were a more classic case
of severe hypothermia, with body chemistry dysfunction causing
cardiovascular collapse and death.

*** Seems to me that lack of oxygen, coupled with muscle fatigue is the
leading causes... not ingesting water. Of course, after you're under water,
I guess you will ingest "many litres"... but by then, it's already too late.

> [...]

> >I'm out on the lake in cold weather, I try to bring up that subject with
the
> >guy in the back.
> >
> >*Note to self... after reformatting computers... refill the kill-file.
>

> Are you sure of what you are saying. I have my info from a researcher
> (professor) on the topic. The body when it hits cold water there is a
shudder
> reaction. This can cause you to ingest many litres of water. This is quite
> dangerous and cause you to drown. It doesn't happen in all cases to the
same
> extent. It could cause a strong swimmer to drown. That same swimmer if he
> folows your reasoning would think he would have to be fatigued in order to
> drown. After learning this i always wear a pfd in the canoe..
> Read about drowning a lot of times the individual jus disappears below the

Lure builder
August 18th, 2004, 02:13 AM
Lack of oxygen is equivalent to ingesting many litres of water from a dousing
in cold water and reflex hyperventilation. At that point fatigue is a given. I
other words you are a goner so wear a pfd.

Lure builder
August 18th, 2004, 02:13 AM
Lack of oxygen is equivalent to ingesting many litres of water from a dousing
in cold water and reflex hyperventilation. At that point fatigue is a given. I
other words you are a goner so wear a pfd.

Charles B. Summers
August 18th, 2004, 03:18 AM
How much water is in your stomach (Ingesting) has nothing to do with it. In
other words, you are a goober no matter what you're wearing.

BTW: I received an e-mail the other day that I should have thought about
earlier. There was some pretty good quotes, and my favorite was...
"Never argue with an idiot. It's hard for the people watching to figure out
which one is the idiot".

Needless to say... plonk!

"Lure builder" > wrote in message
> Lack of oxygen is equivalent to ingesting many litres of water from a
dousing
> in cold water and reflex hyperventilation. At that point fatigue is a
given. I
> other words you are a goner so wear a pfd.

Charles B. Summers
August 18th, 2004, 03:18 AM
How much water is in your stomach (Ingesting) has nothing to do with it. In
other words, you are a goober no matter what you're wearing.

BTW: I received an e-mail the other day that I should have thought about
earlier. There was some pretty good quotes, and my favorite was...
"Never argue with an idiot. It's hard for the people watching to figure out
which one is the idiot".

Needless to say... plonk!

"Lure builder" > wrote in message
> Lack of oxygen is equivalent to ingesting many litres of water from a
dousing
> in cold water and reflex hyperventilation. At that point fatigue is a
given. I
> other words you are a goner so wear a pfd.

Lure builder
August 18th, 2004, 08:46 PM
The purpose of my posting was to get people to wear their pfd's. This is
especially so when the water is cold. Maybe in TN the water isn't that cold .
Here on some days it is too cold to swim and it is still summertime..

Lure builder
August 18th, 2004, 08:46 PM
The purpose of my posting was to get people to wear their pfd's. This is
especially so when the water is cold. Maybe in TN the water isn't that cold .
Here on some days it is too cold to swim and it is still summertime..

News
August 22nd, 2004, 05:17 PM
Mustang is probably the premier manufacturer of PFD foul weather jackets.
A testament to how good they are? The Coast Guard uses them. I bought my
dad one a couple years ago for going out on the rivers on teh Oregon Coast
and he loves it. A little spendy, though.