PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Falling Water

Charles B. Summers
August 16th, 2004, 03:39 AM
Everyone knows that when the lake levels are rising, to seek bass in the
shallows water closest to the newly flooded brush/wood/whatever... but how
do you usually handle lake levels that are dropping?

Bob La Londe
August 16th, 2004, 04:16 AM
I flip deep banks along the fast current.

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing

"Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message
> Everyone knows that when the lake levels are rising, to seek bass in the
> shallows water closest to the newly flooded brush/wood/whatever... but how
> do you usually handle lake levels that are dropping?

Bob La Londe
August 16th, 2004, 04:16 AM
I flip deep banks along the fast current.

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing
** Public Fishing and Boating Forums
** www.YumaBassMan.com

"Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message
> Everyone knows that when the lake levels are rising, to seek bass in the
> shallows water closest to the newly flooded brush/wood/whatever... but how
> do you usually handle lake levels that are dropping?

RichZ
August 16th, 2004, 05:13 AM
Charles,

Falling water ins a reservoir in summer, the first thing I try is a small,
deep diving crankbait along rocky banks. The falling water forces the
crawfish to relocate. If it's something that goes on fairly regularly, you
can bet your butt that the smallies know it.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

RichZ
August 16th, 2004, 05:13 AM
Charles,

Falling water ins a reservoir in summer, the first thing I try is a small,
deep diving crankbait along rocky banks. The falling water forces the
crawfish to relocate. If it's something that goes on fairly regularly, you
can bet your butt that the smallies know it.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Charles Summers
August 16th, 2004, 04:02 PM
This was something that Jack Dalzell and I were discussing last week, and I
realized that I had no clue as to what to do. Your explaination also make me
realize why those little zipper grubs work so well for me during and after
the draw down. Crankbaits will have to be a "must try" thing for me this
fall.

Now, if the rain raises a lake or reservoir... as they are dropping the
levels back slowly, does this still apply?

"RichZ" > wrote in message
> Charles,
>
> Falling water ins a reservoir in summer, the first thing I try is a small,
> deep diving crankbait along rocky banks. The falling water forces the
> crawfish to relocate. If it's something that goes on fairly regularly, you
> can bet your butt that the smallies know it.
>
> RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing

Bob La Londe
August 16th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Depends on the area, but I expect that would be a raising water circumstance
due to fresh feed, mud lines, etc... Probably more so than spring runoff
from snow melt seasonally raising the water level. You may have some
unusual currents in those circumstances to make thing more interesting.

"Charles Summers" > wrote in message
> This was something that Jack Dalzell and I were discussing last week, and
> realized that I had no clue as to what to do. Your explaination also make
me
> realize why those little zipper grubs work so well for me during and after
> the draw down. Crankbaits will have to be a "must try" thing for me this
> fall.
>
> Now, if the rain raises a lake or reservoir... as they are dropping the
> levels back slowly, does this still apply?
>

> "RichZ" > wrote in message
> > Charles,
> >
> > Falling water ins a reservoir in summer, the first thing I try is a
small,
> > deep diving crankbait along rocky banks. The falling water forces the
> > crawfish to relocate. If it's something that goes on fairly regularly,
you
> > can bet your butt that the smallies know it.
> >
> > RichZ©
> > www.richz.com/fishing

Brad Coovert
August 16th, 2004, 08:53 PM
>but how
>do you usually handle lake levels that are dropping?

If I've been on fish, I will fish cover on the first drop away from the shore
in the same areas.

Brad Coovert
2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
http://www.greenfieldbassmasters.com

Brad Coovert
August 16th, 2004, 08:53 PM
>but how
>do you usually handle lake levels that are dropping?

If I've been on fish, I will fish cover on the first drop away from the shore
in the same areas.

Brad Coovert
2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
http://www.greenfieldbassmasters.com

alwaysfishking
August 18th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Someone left the drain open on my big lake this year, they were drawing some
water out and di not close it back off. The lake dropped over 2 feet real
quick. Small jigs were the answer, However fish that were located tight to
cover before were now holding in deeper open water