PDA

View Full Version : Search bait of choice

TNBass
November 15th, 2003, 01:32 PM
What is your search bait of choice on a new lake?

My answer: "Depends on what I see when I study the lake." Will I be fishing
cover or open water? Do I see bait fish or evidence of active feeding? What
are the weather conditions? What is the water visibility? Time of day (or
night)?

Most times, I end up reaching for the rod with a spinnerbait tied on. As
those of you who have fished with me will attest, though, when I think bass
will respond better to a lipless crankbait, I don't hesitate to switch.

I came across an interesting fact in the first of a three-part series by
Dennis Bryant, "Fishing-Professor," at the Bass on Hook site:
http://www.bassonhook.com/zap/zap01.html. (To access parts two and three, in
the URL change "zap01" to "zap02" or "zap03".)

He wrote that some years ago he asked ten pioneers of modern bass
tournaments, "If you were to be limited to using one single lure on a body
of water that you had never fished before, what would it be and why?" Eight
of them said they would choose a spinnerbait. One said a "jig & pig" and one
chose a plastic worm. Then last year, he asked 1,485 pro and amateur
tournament the same question, and still over 80% said "spinnerbait" followed
by jig & pig and then a lipless crank-bait and jerk-bait.

Joe Haubenreich
www.secretweaponlures.com
First real spinnerbait innovation in decades

Craig
November 15th, 2003, 02:43 PM
While I agree most anglers do use a spinnerbait to search. I truly believe
it is the waters you fish. Since most bass fishing is conducted in the
southern states, it sounds reasonable that spinnerbaits would be used. But
up here in the North, I see more anglers using lipless cranks and jerkbaits
to search for active fish.

I personally throw tubebait in cooler & deeper waters to search, chug-bug
in shallows, hard jerkbait (minnow)& shallow divers in rougher shallows
water, and lipless & spinnerbaits equally in around pencil reeds.

--
Craig Bauer
a.k.a. Baugher

Andrew Kidd
November 15th, 2003, 04:11 PM
"TNBass" > wrote in message
> What is your search bait of choice on a new lake?

Depends on the season. If the water is in the mid 50's or higher, I'll
either throw a crankbait or a spinnerbait. Crankbait would be my first
choice most times, as long as I'm able to work it effectively in the
prevalent cover. Depending on the conditions, I'll throw either a lipless,
shallow diver or deeper diver (or a combination of all three). Heavy grass
is about the only thing that will stop me from throwing a crankbait or
spinnerbait (and I still might give it a shot until my patience wears out).

Anything under the mid-50's and I'll be going real slow anyway, so I might
throw a big diving crankbait, or really slow roll a spinnerbait, but am much
more likely to throw a jig and pig, and go where the fish "should" be...

--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

Gone Angling
November 15th, 2003, 04:33 PM
I view a search bait as a lure that you can rapidly cast. Rapid in the sense
that you can cast easily and in rapid succession. The lure will not hang up in
weeds to slow down this process. Once it is established that fish are present
more finesse can be applied. Finesse in the sense of lures that the fish can
not resist and the rapid feature is no longer a consideration. I view this
technique as efficient and effective. What you think of this approach?

Dan
November 15th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Depends on the water. Oh wait, you said that! :-)
Locally, and on any big fish water or clear water condition, my #1 is the
Tora Tube.
But that's just me. Otherwise I use any of the following. top 4 being used
most.
1. Spinnerbait
2. Crankbait
3. Rip Bait
4. Flippin a jig
5. Carolina Rig
6. Surface bait.
7. One Ton jig
8. Texas rigged worm.

--
Dan W.

host, Bazz Clazz Videos

www.bazzclazz.com

To reply remove spamnot from the address

"TNBass" > wrote in message
> What is your search bait of choice on a new lake?
>
> My answer: "Depends on what I see when I study the lake." Will I be
fishing
> cover or open water? Do I see bait fish or evidence of active feeding?
What
> are the weather conditions? What is the water visibility? Time of day (or
> night)?
>
> Most times, I end up reaching for the rod with a spinnerbait tied on. As
> those of you who have fished with me will attest, though, when I think
bass
> will respond better to a lipless crankbait, I don't hesitate to switch.
>
> I came across an interesting fact in the first of a three-part series by
> Dennis Bryant, "Fishing-Professor," at the Bass on Hook site:
> http://www.bassonhook.com/zap/zap01.html. (To access parts two and three,
in
> the URL change "zap01" to "zap02" or "zap03".)
>
> He wrote that some years ago he asked ten pioneers of modern bass
> tournaments, "If you were to be limited to using one single lure on a body
> of water that you had never fished before, what would it be and why?"
Eight
> of them said they would choose a spinnerbait. One said a "jig & pig" and
one
> chose a plastic worm. Then last year, he asked 1,485 pro and amateur
> tournament the same question, and still over 80% said "spinnerbait"
followed
> by jig & pig and then a lipless crank-bait and jerk-bait.
>
> Joe Haubenreich
> www.secretweaponlures.com
> First real spinnerbait innovation in decades

Bob Rickard
November 15th, 2003, 08:15 PM
What kind of troll are you? Again, I see you making sense.
Is this finally my "I'm coming, Elizabeth" time?
--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com

"Gone Angling" > wrote in message
> I view a search bait as a lure that you can rapidly cast. Rapid in the
sense
> that you can cast easily and in rapid succession. The lure will not hang
up in
> weeds to slow down this process. Once it is established that fish are
present
> more finesse can be applied. Finesse in the sense of lures that the fish
can
> not resist and the rapid feature is no longer a consideration. I view this
> technique as efficient and effective. What you think of this approach?

Chuck Coger
November 15th, 2003, 08:57 PM
First off, intresting find on the 80% said they use spinnerbaits. I can
catch fish on a spinnerbait, but it is not a high confidence bait for me.
The thing that stood out to me is "80%" thats quite a few people throwing
spinnerbaits. I knew Bass saw a lot of spinnerbaits but not that many. Which
is Why I am even more confident now with the two baits I usually end up
using as a search bait. The Cranibait, usually a shallow diving Bandit but
I go to deeper versions depending on the lake. The second one I go to is a
fluke on a mojo rig because it is very versatile, I can fish all depths with
a single bait. Sometimes a Rattle Trap or Diamond Shad creeps in but for the
most part it is the first two, and more times than not the fluke. I probably
catch 50% of my fish on a mojo rig, I am very comfortable with it.

Those would be my choices on a lake I am seeing for the first time, things
may change on the water;)

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

"TNBass" > wrote in message
> What is your search bait of choice on a new lake?
>
> My answer: "Depends on what I see when I study the lake." Will I be
fishing
> cover or open water? Do I see bait fish or evidence of active feeding?
What
> are the weather conditions? What is the water visibility? Time of day (or
> night)?
>
> Most times, I end up reaching for the rod with a spinnerbait tied on. As
> those of you who have fished with me will attest, though, when I think
bass
> will respond better to a lipless crankbait, I don't hesitate to switch.
>
> I came across an interesting fact in the first of a three-part series by
> Dennis Bryant, "Fishing-Professor," at the Bass on Hook site:
> http://www.bassonhook.com/zap/zap01.html. (To access parts two and three,
in
> the URL change "zap01" to "zap02" or "zap03".)
>
> He wrote that some years ago he asked ten pioneers of modern bass
> tournaments, "If you were to be limited to using one single lure on a body

> of water that you had never fished before, what would it be and why?"
Eight
> of them said they would choose a spinnerbait. One said a "jig & pig" and
one
> chose a plastic worm. Then last year, he asked 1,485 pro and amateur
> tournament the same question, and still over 80% said "spinnerbait"
followed
> by jig & pig and then a lipless crank-bait and jerk-bait.
>
> Joe Haubenreich
> www.secretweaponlures.com
> First real spinnerbait innovation in decades

Brad Coovert
November 15th, 2003, 10:04 PM
Cold water below 60, early spring pre-spawn - suspending jerkbait, slow rolled
spinnerbait or lipless crankbait on staging points/drops.

Water in the 60's, pre-spawn/spawn - Tubes, Jigs and Crigs in various weights
for various depths in cover in and around spawing areas.

Post Spawn - Super Fluke, floating worm, Senko around shallow cover, crankbaits
or spinnerbaits slightly deeper, Crigs even deeper - near or in spawning areas.

Summer - Poppers, stickbaits, buzzbaits on top around cover and grassbeds, a
Mid or Baby 1 Minus and spinnerbait over grassbeds or a Crig about anywhere.

Fall - Lipless crankbaits and crankbaits.

Brad Coovert, 2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
Please visit our sponsors:
http://www.geocities.com/greenfieldbass/WelcomeToOurSponsorPage.htm

John Kerr
November 15th, 2003, 10:50 PM
I suppose with only one bait of choice, I would have to take my "bag" of
worms....it's my "comfort" bait! <g>

JK

Dave Norton
November 15th, 2003, 11:43 PM
As Joe knows I always have a spinnerbait tied on, course I also have a soft
stickbait tied on too. Guess I have gotten to far from the rest of the soft
plastics line-up.

--
Dave Norton
Millennium Rods
"TNBass" > wrote in message
> What is your search bait of choice on a new lake?
>
> My answer: "Depends on what I see when I study the lake." Will I be
fishing
> cover or open water? Do I see bait fish or evidence of active feeding?
What
> are the weather conditions? What is the water visibility? Time of day (or
> night)?
>
> Most times, I end up reaching for the rod with a spinnerbait tied on. As
> those of you who have fished with me will attest, though, when I think
bass
> will respond better to a lipless crankbait, I don't hesitate to switch.
>
> I came across an interesting fact in the first of a three-part series by
> Dennis Bryant, "Fishing-Professor," at the Bass on Hook site:
> http://www.bassonhook.com/zap/zap01.html. (To access parts two and three,
in
> the URL change "zap01" to "zap02" or "zap03".)
>
> He wrote that some years ago he asked ten pioneers of modern bass
> tournaments, "If you were to be limited to using one single lure on a body
> of water that you had never fished before, what would it be and why?"
Eight
> of them said they would choose a spinnerbait. One said a "jig & pig" and
one
> chose a plastic worm. Then last year, he asked 1,485 pro and amateur
> tournament the same question, and still over 80% said "spinnerbait"
followed
> by jig & pig and then a lipless crank-bait and jerk-bait.
>
> Joe Haubenreich
> www.secretweaponlures.com
> First real spinnerbait innovation in decades

Brad Coovert
November 16th, 2003, 04:03 AM
>course I also have a soft
>stickbait tied on too

Hard to put 'em down after you start using 'em, eh Dave? They are addicting to
bass and anglers alike.

Brad Coovert, 2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
Please visit our sponsors:
http://www.geocities.com/greenfieldbass/WelcomeToOurSponsorPage.htm

Huck Palmatier
November 16th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Water temp >60 degrees: Buzzbait or Pop-R
Water Temp < 60 degrees: Spinnerbait or Big Spook
Water Temp = 60 degrees, wait for the temp to change. said Huck

"TNBass" > wrote in message
> What is your search bait of choice on a new lake?
>
> My answer: "Depends on what I see when I study the lake." Will I be
fishing
> cover or open water? Do I see bait fish or evidence of active feeding?
What
> are the weather conditions? What is the water visibility? Time of day (or
> night)?
>
> Most times, I end up reaching for the rod with a spinnerbait tied on. As
> those of you who have fished with me will attest, though, when I think
bass
> will respond better to a lipless crankbait, I don't hesitate to switch.
>
> I came across an interesting fact in the first of a three-part series by
> Dennis Bryant, "Fishing-Professor," at the Bass on Hook site:
> http://www.bassonhook.com/zap/zap01.html. (To access parts two and three,
in
> the URL change "zap01" to "zap02" or "zap03".)
>
> He wrote that some years ago he asked ten pioneers of modern bass
> tournaments, "If you were to be limited to using one single lure on a body
> of water that you had never fished before, what would it be and why?"
Eight
> of them said they would choose a spinnerbait. One said a "jig & pig" and
one
> chose a plastic worm. Then last year, he asked 1,485 pro and amateur
> tournament the same question, and still over 80% said "spinnerbait"
followed
> by jig & pig and then a lipless crank-bait and jerk-bait.
>
> Joe Haubenreich
> www.secretweaponlures.com
> First real spinnerbait innovation in decades

Bryan Greer
November 16th, 2003, 04:31 PM
TNT finds 'em everytime.

--
Bryan D. Greer

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work
at it, it's golf."...Bob Hope

"TNBass" > wrote in message
> What is your search bait of choice on a new lake?
>
> My answer: "Depends on what I see when I study the lake." Will I be
fishing
> cover or open water? Do I see bait fish or evidence of active feeding?
What
> are the weather conditions? What is the water visibility? Time of day (or
> night)?
>
> Most times, I end up reaching for the rod with a spinnerbait tied on. As
> those of you who have fished with me will attest, though, when I think
bass
> will respond better to a lipless crankbait, I don't hesitate to switch.
>
> I came across an interesting fact in the first of a three-part series by
> Dennis Bryant, "Fishing-Professor," at the Bass on Hook site:
> http://www.bassonhook.com/zap/zap01.html. (To access parts two and three,
in
> the URL change "zap01" to "zap02" or "zap03".)
>
> He wrote that some years ago he asked ten pioneers of modern bass
> tournaments, "If you were to be limited to using one single lure on a body
> of water that you had never fished before, what would it be and why?"
Eight
> of them said they would choose a spinnerbait. One said a "jig & pig" and
one
> chose a plastic worm. Then last year, he asked 1,485 pro and amateur
> tournament the same question, and still over 80% said "spinnerbait"
followed
> by jig & pig and then a lipless crank-bait and jerk-bait.
>
> Joe Haubenreich
> www.secretweaponlures.com
> First real spinnerbait innovation in decades

Carlos
November 16th, 2003, 05:27 PM
6A Bomber Firetiger. Unless the lake is a bit too shallow for that. Then a
Bagley Craw. I vary from there depending on cover, season, what the fish
tell me they want.

If I go to Rend Lake in the spring, and I run back to the shallow buck
bushes, then I am going to stick a plastic lizard in them on a flipping
stick. But I might also work the nearby channel and rip rap and then it's
going to be a crankbait. If I also decide to fish the stumps along the
firelanes then it's going to be a spinnerbait/crankbait depending on the
fish.

Typically I reach for the crankbait first.

Carlos

Craig
November 16th, 2003, 08:38 PM
Sounds like Huck loves the explosive strikes of top water action. ME TOO!

--
Craig Bauer
a.k.a. Baugher

Charles B. Summers
November 17th, 2003, 09:20 PM
C'mon Dave... all the fish that you've witnessed me catching on worms and
you still aren't convinced?

"Dave Norton" > wrote in message
> As Joe knows I always have a spinnerbait tied on, course I also have a
soft
> stickbait tied on too. Guess I have gotten to far from the rest of the
soft
> plastics line-up.
>
> --
> Dave Norton
> Millennium Rods
> "TNBass" > wrote in message
> > What is your search bait of choice on a new lake?
> >
> > My answer: "Depends on what I see when I study the lake." Will I be
> fishing
> > cover or open water? Do I see bait fish or evidence of active feeding?
> What
> > are the weather conditions? What is the water visibility? Time of day
(or
> > night)?
> >
> > Most times, I end up reaching for the rod with a spinnerbait tied on. As
> > those of you who have fished with me will attest, though, when I think
> bass
> > will respond better to a lipless crankbait, I don't hesitate to switch.
> >
> > I came across an interesting fact in the first of a three-part series by
> > Dennis Bryant, "Fishing-Professor," at the Bass on Hook site:
> > http://www.bassonhook.com/zap/zap01.html. (To access parts two and
three,
> in
> > the URL change "zap01" to "zap02" or "zap03".)
> >
> > He wrote that some years ago he asked ten pioneers of modern bass
> > tournaments, "If you were to be limited to using one single lure on a
body
> > of water that you had never fished before, what would it be and why?"
> Eight
> > of them said they would choose a spinnerbait. One said a "jig & pig" and
> one
> > chose a plastic worm. Then last year, he asked 1,485 pro and amateur
> > tournament the same question, and still over 80% said "spinnerbait"
> followed
> > by jig & pig and then a lipless crank-bait and jerk-bait.
> >
> > Joe Haubenreich
> > www.secretweaponlures.com
> > First real spinnerbait innovation in decades

Charles B. Summers
November 17th, 2003, 09:21 PM
Hey... its' Fool4Bass! Where ya been man?

"Bryan Greer" > wrote in message
> TNT finds 'em everytime.
>
> --
> Bryan D. Greer
>
> "If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you
work
> at it, it's golf."...Bob Hope
>

> "TNBass" > wrote in message
> > What is your search bait of choice on a new lake?
> >
> > My answer: "Depends on what I see when I study the lake." Will I be
> fishing
> > cover or open water? Do I see bait fish or evidence of active feeding?
> What
> > are the weather conditions? What is the water visibility? Time of day
(or
> > night)?
> >
> > Most times, I end up reaching for the rod with a spinnerbait tied on. As
> > those of you who have fished with me will attest, though, when I think
> bass
> > will respond better to a lipless crankbait, I don't hesitate to switch.
> >
> > I came across an interesting fact in the first of a three-part series by
> > Dennis Bryant, "Fishing-Professor," at the Bass on Hook site:
> > http://www.bassonhook.com/zap/zap01.html. (To access parts two and
three,
> in
> > the URL change "zap01" to "zap02" or "zap03".)
> >
> > He wrote that some years ago he asked ten pioneers of modern bass
> > tournaments, "If you were to be limited to using one single lure on a
body
> > of water that you had never fished before, what would it be and why?"
> Eight
> > of them said they would choose a spinnerbait. One said a "jig & pig" and
> one
> > chose a plastic worm. Then last year, he asked 1,485 pro and amateur
> > tournament the same question, and still over 80% said "spinnerbait"
> followed
> > by jig & pig and then a lipless crank-bait and jerk-bait.
> >
> > Joe Haubenreich
> > www.secretweaponlures.com
> > First real spinnerbait innovation in decades

Guthooked
November 20th, 2003, 04:19 AM
"TNBass" wrote
> What is your search bait of choice on a new lake?

For me, in low light or calm water, a buzzbait. Just about any other time a
spinnerbait. It's got to the point I don't carry much else.

Larry

Bryan Greer
November 23rd, 2003, 06:07 AM
Back problems dude! 3rd round of MRI results should be in soon. Looks like
some kind of surgery in the lower lumbar. Been losing feeling in the right
leg. And since you know I type with my toes, well...................

--
Bryan D. Greer

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work
at it, it's golf."...Bob Hope

"Charles B. Summers" (Comcast)> wrote in
message ...
> Hey... its' Fool4Bass! Where ya been man?
>
> "Bryan Greer" > wrote in message
> > TNT finds 'em everytime.
> >
> > --
> > Bryan D. Greer
> >
> > "If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you
> work
> > at it, it's golf."...Bob Hope
> >

> > "TNBass" > wrote in message
> > > What is your search bait of choice on a new lake?
> > >
> > > My answer: "Depends on what I see when I study the lake." Will I be
> > fishing
> > > cover or open water? Do I see bait fish or evidence of active feeding?
> > What
> > > are the weather conditions? What is the water visibility? Time of day
> (or
> > > night)?
> > >
> > > Most times, I end up reaching for the rod with a spinnerbait tied on.
As
> > > those of you who have fished with me will attest, though, when I think
> > bass
> > > will respond better to a lipless crankbait, I don't hesitate to
switch.

> > > I came across an interesting fact in the first of a three-part series
by
> > > Dennis Bryant, "Fishing-Professor," at the Bass on Hook site:
> > > http://www.bassonhook.com/zap/zap01.html. (To access parts two and
> three,
> > in
> > > the URL change "zap01" to "zap02" or "zap03".)
> > >
> > > He wrote that some years ago he asked ten pioneers of modern bass
> > > tournaments, "If you were to be limited to using one single lure on a
> body
> > > of water that you had never fished before, what would it be and why?"
> > Eight
> > > of them said they would choose a spinnerbait. One said a "jig & pig"
and
> > one
> > > chose a plastic worm. Then last year, he asked 1,485 pro and amateur
> > > tournament the same question, and still over 80% said "spinnerbait"
> > followed
> > > by jig & pig and then a lipless crank-bait and jerk-bait.
> > >
> > > Joe Haubenreich
> > > www.secretweaponlures.com
> > > First real spinnerbait innovation in decades

Dark Knight
November 24th, 2003, 04:15 AM
Been away, but thought I'd respond to this older post...

I agree with the bit about Firetiger. Still trying to decide if I really
have a style preference or not, but I do have a color preference -
Firetiger. Regardless of the type of bait I use to look for fish, I almost
always start with some variation of Firetiger.

DK