PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Trip out

alwaysfishking
August 18th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Yesterday was the little guys birthday, he turned 4. I brought him to the
store to pick out a gift, as we cruised row after row of toys, he could not
decide what to get. He eventually wound up picking out a spinning rod /reel
combo with all the grubs, bobbers and worms a spinning rod combo kit could
hold. How could I argue?

I promised him that right after work today we would go fishing. I set up
his combo and tied a speed worm on for him. He didn't have too much trouble
other than the occasional tangle with the grass. I fished a horny toad over
the grass that I took Chris to last week. 4 or 5 blow ups and two pickerel
to the boat. I also lost a nice bass on the jump. We were heading back in
and that "You know you should take a few more casts" thing kicked in. So I
flipped a wacko in some pads, felt a thump and set the hook. Nice big fish,
this fish made me smile cause it was one of those fish that make the day
worth while( at least for me). About ten minutes later I cast my son's wacko
at the side of a tree laying down near the shore. I hand him the rod and
start tying on another hook to my line. My son's shriek of "I got a fish" "I
got a fish" had me look up. The rod was slapping against the boat and it was
bent to it's limit. I jumped across the seat and grabbed the rod to lift it.
Big fish, rod jerks, real big fish. Fish launchs into the air. "Holy Sh%T"
fish. My son kept cranking as much as his little hands could, the fish went
to the air again and came down with a mighty splash. He reeled it to the
edge of the boat where I lipped it. It was gut hooked but the point was
sticking out and I was able to cut the line and remove the hook by the point
with no problem. He was also able to hold both fish for pictures( so did I
as his was much nicer :-)) This is a lake I have not fished much since
moving here over 5 years ago. I will most likely visit this lake some more,
after all it's three minutes from my house. Pictures at a.b.p.f.

Randy-

Christopher P. Cericola
August 18th, 2004, 01:53 AM
Congratulations to the wee-one! I can't wait to come back up there and fish
there again.

Christopher

"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message

> [...]

> got a fish" had me look up. The rod was slapping against the boat and it
was
> bent to it's limit. I jumped across the seat and grabbed the rod to lift
it.
> Big fish, rod jerks, real big fish. Fish launchs into the air. "Holy Sh%T"
> fish. My son kept cranking as much as his little hands could, the fish
went
> to the air again and came down with a mighty splash. He reeled it to the
> edge of the boat where I lipped it. It was gut hooked but the point was
> sticking out and I was able to cut the line and remove the hook by the
point
> with no problem. He was also able to hold both fish for pictures( so did I
> as his was much nicer :-)) This is a lake I have not fished much since
> moving here over 5 years ago. I will most likely visit this lake some

Charles B. Summers
August 18th, 2004, 02:44 AM
That's a great fish!!!

Joe bought my son an All Pro rod last weekend at the FLW, even gave him a
Diawa underspin reel. We just finished spooling up new line and tying on
bait for this weekend. I highly doubt that he'll catch anything like that
bass... but he's ready to give it a try. I showed him your son bass... he
says he wants one of those!

"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message

> Yesterday was the little guys birthday, he turned 4. I brought him to the
> store to pick out a gift, as we cruised row after row of toys, he could
not
> decide what to get. He eventually wound up picking out a spinning rod
/reel
> combo with all the grubs, bobbers and worms a spinning rod combo kit could
> hold. How could I argue?
>
>snip

Charles B. Summers
August 18th, 2004, 02:44 AM
That's a great fish!!!

Joe bought my son an All Pro rod last weekend at the FLW, even gave him a
Diawa underspin reel. We just finished spooling up new line and tying on
bait for this weekend. I highly doubt that he'll catch anything like that
bass... but he's ready to give it a try. I showed him your son bass... he
says he wants one of those!

"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message

> Yesterday was the little guys birthday, he turned 4. I brought him to the
> store to pick out a gift, as we cruised row after row of toys, he could
not
> decide what to get. He eventually wound up picking out a spinning rod
/reel
> combo with all the grubs, bobbers and worms a spinning rod combo kit could
> hold. How could I argue?
>
>snip

alwaysfishking
August 18th, 2004, 02:52 AM
This was my best day out fishing....ever. I'll remember it for the rest of
my life.
"Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message
> That's a great fish!!!
>
> Joe bought my son an All Pro rod last weekend at the FLW, even gave him a
> Diawa underspin reel. We just finished spooling up new line and tying on
> bait for this weekend. I highly doubt that he'll catch anything like that
> bass... but he's ready to give it a try. I showed him your son bass... he
> says he wants one of those!
>

> "alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> >
> > Yesterday was the little guys birthday, he turned 4. I brought him to
the
> > store to pick out a gift, as we cruised row after row of toys, he could
> not
> > decide what to get. He eventually wound up picking out a spinning rod
> /reel
> > combo with all the grubs, bobbers and worms a spinning rod combo kit
could
> > hold. How could I argue?
> >
> >snip

alwaysfishking
August 18th, 2004, 02:52 AM
This was my best day out fishing....ever. I'll remember it for the rest of
my life.
"Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message
> That's a great fish!!!
>
> Joe bought my son an All Pro rod last weekend at the FLW, even gave him a
> Diawa underspin reel. We just finished spooling up new line and tying on
> bait for this weekend. I highly doubt that he'll catch anything like that
> bass... but he's ready to give it a try. I showed him your son bass... he
> says he wants one of those!
>

> "alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> >
> > Yesterday was the little guys birthday, he turned 4. I brought him to
the
> > store to pick out a gift, as we cruised row after row of toys, he could
> not
> > decide what to get. He eventually wound up picking out a spinning rod
> /reel
> > combo with all the grubs, bobbers and worms a spinning rod combo kit
could
> > hold. How could I argue?
> >
> >snip

Charles B. Summers
August 18th, 2004, 03:10 AM
I bet that he won't forget any time soon, neither!

"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> This was my best day out fishing....ever. I'll remember it for the rest of
> my life.

Charles B. Summers
August 18th, 2004, 03:10 AM
I bet that he won't forget any time soon, neither!

"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> This was my best day out fishing....ever. I'll remember it for the rest of
> my life.

SimRacer
August 18th, 2004, 10:22 PM
"Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message
> I bet that he won't forget any time soon, neither!

I agree. Congrats to the youngster, and also to his dad for *taking a kid
fishing* in the first place.

That's a nice hawg in the photo BTW, I bet both dad and son were quite
excited. I almost hate to say it, since it sounds like a pun, but I bet the
kid is hooked on fishing for life now, and that's not a bad thing IMO.

SimRacer
August 18th, 2004, 10:22 PM
"Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message
> I bet that he won't forget any time soon, neither!

I agree. Congrats to the youngster, and also to his dad for *taking a kid
fishing* in the first place.

That's a nice hawg in the photo BTW, I bet both dad and son were quite
excited. I almost hate to say it, since it sounds like a pun, but I bet the
kid is hooked on fishing for life now, and that's not a bad thing IMO.

BassMr
August 18th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Awesome fish! Awesome pics! Thanks for the story Randy,I love to see kids
catch fish.