PDA

View Full Version : Fly Gear Advice

Tracer
August 18th, 2004, 01:12 PM
I wondered if a 4 wt outfit for fly fishing Washington and Canada was
appropriate.Don't plan on fishing the larger rivers and live out of state.If
this weight is fine can you recommend a package for $250 or less.
Thanks
alan

Frank Church
November 20th, 2004, 12:59 PM
"Kerry Evans" > wrote in
:

> Best deal I have seen for a long time is the Cabela's Stow-a-way five
> piece pack rod. It can be had with disc drag reel, backing, line, and
> soft case for about $125. I am not ordinarily impressed with
> inexpensive, multi-piece rods, but this jewel casts like a dream.
>
> KE

....just wandered in from r.o.f.f and fully agree with Kerry on this
rod...as it happens I have all the Stowaway series rods and for an
inexpensive rod (made in Korea, not that it matters) they do a great job.
Over the past 3 yrs I have caught smallmouth bass in Maine rivers and my 5
wt. has handled the biggest (19" so far) with no problems. FWIW

Frank Church

Lloyd Sumpter
February 27th, 2005, 05:52 PM
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 06:12:16 -0600, Tracer wrote:

> I wondered if a 4 wt outfit for fly fishing Washington and Canada was
> appropriate.Don't plan on fishing the larger rivers and live out of state.If
> this weight is fine can you recommend a package for $250 or less.
> Thanks
> alan

4wt is a bit small for BC, anyway - OK for smaller cutts and bows, no good
for salmon. I use a 6wt which seems about right - great for trout, a bit
small for salmon or steelhead.

Lloyd