PDA

View Full Version : swimming depth

Gone Angling
November 16th, 2003, 11:23 PM
I picked up some new rapala jointed lures (51/4"). On the package face it says
"rapala floating". On the tab used to peg it for display it says "swimming
depth 9' to 11'. The lure does have a lip but not a large lip like a deep
diver. I find the labeling a little confusing (re: floating) and i haven't used
this lure before.

Charles B. Summers
November 17th, 2003, 04:02 PM
These will not dive any more than 2'. The only way you'll get them any
deeper is to weight them, but there are other baits that will of course work
better.

Hope you picked up a gold one.

"Gone Angling" > wrote in message
> I picked up some new rapala jointed lures (51/4"). On the package face it
says
> "rapala floating". On the tab used to peg it for display it says "swimming
> depth 9' to 11'. The lure does have a lip but not a large lip like a deep
> diver. I find the labeling a little confusing (re: floating) and i haven't
used
> this lure before.

G. M. Zimmermann
November 17th, 2003, 11:21 PM
I have found that the larger Rapala lures run a bit deeper than the smaller
ones, but I doubt you'd get a 5 1/4" jointed down to 9 feet. Five or six feet
would probably be alot more realistic.

-Zimmy

Gone Angling
November 18th, 2003, 12:44 AM
charles
>These will not dive any more than 2'. The only way you'll get them any
>deeper is to weight them, but there are other baits that will of course work
>better.
>
>Hope you picked up a gold one.

I know about the 2 feet depth and appropriate colours.

Marty
November 18th, 2003, 05:56 AM
Charles B. Summers (Comcast)> wrote in
message ...
> These will not dive any more than 2'. The only way you'll get them any
> deeper is to weight them, but there are other baits that will of course
work
> better.

It's been awhile since I checked, but the depths for various Rapalas didn't
make much sense to me, so I looked a little closer and discovered that their
depths were based on trolling with "x" pound test and "y" length of line.
This was a few years ago, I don't know if anything's changed.

Illinois Fisherman
November 18th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Casting the Rapala J-13 Floater Max depth is 4 ft with 14LB test mono rod
tip held 2ft above surface. Average length of cast is 50ft.

"G. M. Zimmermann" > wrote in message
> I have found that the larger Rapala lures run a bit deeper than the
smaller
> ones, but I doubt you'd get a 5 1/4" jointed down to 9 feet. Five or six
feet
> would probably be alot more realistic.
>
> -Zimmy

Gone Angling
November 19th, 2003, 01:46 AM
Is swimming depth caused by the lip? I think it can also be effected by the rod
position on the retrieve. It may also be effected by the density of the lure
body, weight of hook hardware and a thin profile of the lure body.

Andrew Kidd
November 19th, 2003, 03:27 AM
"Gone Angling" > wrote in message
> Is swimming depth caused by the lip? I think it can also be effected by
the rod
> position on the retrieve. It may also be effected by the density of the
lure
> body, weight of hook hardware and a thin profile of the lure body.

....and line diameter.
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!