PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Highlights

alwaysfishking
November 18th, 2003, 12:18 AM
Ok the year is winding down and I've been thinking about the year is
perspective and fishing achievements/accomplishments. What are some of your
memorable fishing experiences this past year, good, bad indifferent. Win a
tourney? Teach a kid to fish? Get out with the old man/lady? Catch a fish on
a crankbait for the first time? Lunker? Personal bests? Let em rip. I'll
post mine later.

Randy-

Philip Goodwin
November 18th, 2003, 12:41 AM
"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> Ok the year is winding down and I've been thinking about the year is
> perspective and fishing achievements/accomplishments. What are some of
your
> memorable fishing experiences this past year, good, bad indifferent. Win a
> tourney? Teach a kid to fish? Get out with the old man/lady? Catch a fish
on
> a crankbait for the first time? Lunker? Personal bests? Let em rip. I'll
> post mine later.
>
> Randy-

Well it wasn't a particularly great year for me. I did not get out to fish
nearly as much as I would of liked due to work constraints. The high point
of the year was probably just this past Sunday when I got to meet Rich
Zaleski and go fishing with him on the Hudson. I learned how to drop shot
which was fun and Rich's insights into fishing gleaned from being in the
business for so many years were very intriguing. Nothing much to report in
the way of personal bests or anything like that so I can't wait till next
year to get back at em.

Phil

RGarri7470
November 18th, 2003, 01:13 AM
>What are some of your memorable fishing experiences this past year, good, bad
indifferent. Win a tourney?
--The Mid Tennessee Classic!
--Weighing in 14.75 pounds in the GA Top Six and placing 18th.
--Seeing my book in print.
--Having a great week fishing with Fritz the week after the NWC.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

SHRED©
November 18th, 2003, 01:32 AM
alwaysfishking wrote:
> Ok the year is winding down and I've been thinking about the year is
> perspective and fishing achievements/accomplishments. What are some
> of your memorable fishing experiences this past year, good, bad
> indifferent. Win a tourney? Teach a kid to fish? Get out with the old
> man/lady? Catch a fish on a crankbait for the first time? Lunker?
> Personal bests? Let em rip. I'll post mine later.
>
> Randy-

Got a 9 an 8 and a ton in the 3 to 6 lb range.
Got a new Hobie Outback kayak.
Got a new Calcutta Conquest 200.
Got to fish about once a week from spring until Sept. and for me, that is a
great year.

FYI::::I ain't done with this year yet!

SHRED

RichZ
November 18th, 2003, 02:18 AM
I didn't get to fish with my kid as much as I would have liked, but that
was due to his schedule more than mine. I got a lot of satisfaction out of
fishing with a handful of guys I've never fished with before, and sharing
some of what I've accumulated over the years.

Not involving myself in tourneys allowed me to fish a few waters I haven't
hit in years, and I really enjoyed that.

Had a good year for big fish -- up to a point. Lots of 6's and a few 7s,
but didn't break 8 pounds once. Wait! There's still a month or so of
fishing to be done, so maybe that can be rectified.

Looking at my record for the year, I had my worst spinnerbait fishing in 7
years! I'll bet that's because I wasn't fishing tourneys. A spinnerbait is
a much more valuable tool for me in tournaments than it is in fun fishing,
because given the choice, I don't fish nearly as fast or worry about
'covering water' when I'm fun fishing.

I did catch WAY more fish on hard jerkbaits this year than the last few
though.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Bob La Londe
November 18th, 2003, 03:05 AM
"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> Ok the year is winding down and I've been thinking about the year is
> perspective and fishing achievements/accomplishments. What are some of
your
> memorable fishing experiences this past year, good, bad indifferent. Win a
> tourney? Teach a kid to fish? Get out with the old man/lady? Catch a fish
on
> a crankbait for the first time? Lunker? Personal bests? Let em rip. I'll
> post mine later.
>
> Randy-

I learned to work a popper / stick bait on the surface. In fact topwater
was never a strong technique for me in the past. This year I caught more
fish on topwater than with any other lure. It even out performed my Zoom
U-Tail green watermelon seed salt worm.

I learned a lot about how to fish a spinner bait, but didn't really get a
good hold on when and were to use it. I did catch a few fish with it, but I
still don't know that I would go to it in particular situation. Muddy
water. Windy days. Stained water. Small blades in clear water.

I figured out a follow up technique. I used a jig and also a stick worm
(Senko clone) as a quick followup to a missed topwater strike. I also used
a heavy jig as a follow up to a fish that followed up a spinner bait and
turned away at the boat. I think the fast falling jig triggered a reaction
strike that a slower falling bait might not have.

I learned that I would really love to fish a day or two with anybody here.
Rich, Gilbert, Calif Bill, Bob, Joe, John, Doc, Philip, Jim, Ron, ...... et
all. I have invited many of you to take a trip out on the river with me.
My invitation is sincere, not just net talk. The Colorado River here
produces some really great bass. I have only had three or four good days
out this year, but I have seen the fish come in.

I also decided I want to make one or two of the classics next year. I don't
know how with my business, but I want to try. I even considered hiring a
guy to tow my boat in so I could fly in, fish, and fly out. I don't knw if
I will do it, but I sure want to.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Gone Angling
November 18th, 2003, 04:05 AM
caught quality fish with no longer a need to photograph, fished under extreme
weather conditions, experience solitudinal night fishing, effectively exploited
direct and indirect fishing resources.

Guthooked
November 18th, 2003, 04:20 AM
"alwaysfishking" wrote > Ok the year is winding down and I've been thinking
about the year is
> perspective and fishing achievements/accomplishments. What are some of
your
> memorable fishing experiences this past year, good, bad indifferent. Win a
> tourney? Teach a kid to fish? Get out with the old man/lady? Catch a fish
on
> a crankbait for the first time? Lunker? Personal bests? Let em rip. I'll
> post mine later.
>
> Randy-

I did get my new personal best this year. A 7 pound 10 ounce largemouth,
back in April, from the bank on a small private lake here in Cabot AR. Got
it on a bleeding shad secret weapon spinnerbait. It's on the braggin board
on the SWL's web site.

And this fall My sons Boy Scout troop & I (I'm an assitant Scoutmaster) went
to the Cub family weekend and I and some of the scouts helped over 100 cub
scouts earn their fishing belt loop. To earn it, they had to revue the state
regulations, bait their own hook, and attempt to catch a fish. You should
have seen some of them with their first time handling a night crawler. :-)
Had 16 zebco 33's out with cub scouts casting them all over the place. A lot
of them caught their very first fish there that weekend. One caught a 2 &
1/2 pound channel cat. Hopefully some of them will catch the bug and will
take up fishing. Already said I'd do it again next spring. It was a lot of
fun.

Larry

Guthooked
November 18th, 2003, 04:21 AM
"alwaysfishking" wrote > Ok the year is winding down and I've been thinking
about the year is
> perspective and fishing achievements/accomplishments. What are some of
your
> memorable fishing experiences this past year, good, bad indifferent. Win a
> tourney? Teach a kid to fish? Get out with the old man/lady? Catch a fish
on
> a crankbait for the first time? Lunker? Personal bests? Let em rip. I'll
> post mine later.
>
> Randy-

I did get my new personal best this year. A 7 pound 10 ounce largemouth,
back in April, from the bank on a small private lake here in Cabot AR. Got
it on a bleeding shad secret weapon spinnerbait. It's on the braggin board
on the SWL's web site.

And this fall My sons Boy Scout troop & I (I'm an assitant Scoutmaster) went
to the Cub family weekend and I and some of the scouts helped over 100 cub
scouts earn their fishing belt loop. To earn it, they had to revue the state
regulations, bait their own hook, and attempt to catch a fish. You should
have seen some of them with their first time handling a night crawler. :-)
Had 16 zebco 33's out with cub scouts casting them all over the place. A lot
of them caught their very first fish there that weekend. One caught a 2 &
1/2 pound channel cat. Hopefully some of them will catch the bug and will
take up fishing. Already said I'd do it again next spring. It was a lot of
fun.

Larry

J Buck
November 18th, 2003, 05:22 AM
went fishing with my Dad (he'll be 81 on 12/7/03...got his deer last
weekend)
took my girlfriend fishing (we got skunked, but still fun) and took a
stab at stripers; no luck, but I will land one next summer :)

Jerry Barton
November 18th, 2003, 05:24 AM
I spent some time on the water with my son .

--
Jerry Barton
www.jerrys-world.com

"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> Ok the year is winding down and I've been thinking about the year is
> perspective and fishing achievements/accomplishments. What are some of
your
> memorable fishing experiences this past year, good, bad indifferent. Win a
> tourney? Teach a kid to fish? Get out with the old man/lady? Catch a fish
on
> a crankbait for the first time? Lunker? Personal bests? Let em rip. I'll
> post mine later.
>
> Randy-

Marty
November 18th, 2003, 06:02 AM
alwaysfishking > wrote in message
> Ok the year is winding down and I've been thinking about the year is
> perspective and fishing achievements/accomplishments. What are some of
your
> memorable fishing experiences this past year, good, bad indifferent. Win a
> tourney? Teach a kid to fish? Get out with the old man/lady? Catch a fish
on
> a crankbait for the first time? Lunker? Personal bests? Let em rip. I'll
> post mine later.

I do most of my fishing from shore, got out in a boat seven times. Shore
places around here are not in great supply. But I learned of two new places
this year and that helped. In summary, quantity was great, as I caught about
3 or 4 times more than usual, but quality was not good, I didn't have one
four-pounder this year (western NY).

Charles B. Summers
November 18th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Well... let's see...

There's the Mid-Tenn Classic
Northwoods Classic
An 18 1/2 hour trip to Dale Hollow
Couple of great trips to Lake Barkley
The night on Percy Priest where I actually caught more keepers than
non-keepers
Finding a few smallmouths on Priest... even though they were small
Finally weighing in a limit of fish (With TNBass's help) at a club tourny.
Being hired (relative term) by Secret Weapon Lures
Becoming confident with plastic worms

I didn't catch near as many fish this year as I did last year, but that's
probably due to not fishing as much this year as I was use to. I did get to
fish with alot of great people again this year and learned a few more
tricks. No matter where I was, or who I was with I always managed to have
fun and bring something back home with me that I hope will help me in the
future.

Now... this year is far from over for me, so I anticipate that I can will be
able to add to this list before too long. I'm still determined to catch fish
on the Carolina-Rig, and the Float-n-Fly.

"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> Ok the year is winding down and I've been thinking about the year is
> perspective and fishing achievements/accomplishments. What are some of
your
> memorable fishing experiences this past year, good, bad indifferent. Win a
> tourney? Teach a kid to fish? Get out with the old man/lady? Catch a fish
on
> a crankbait for the first time? Lunker? Personal bests? Let em rip. I'll
> post mine later.
>
> Randy-

BassMr.
November 18th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Let's see..........
Caught largest smallmouth ever 4.2 lbs.
Got to see my daughter catch her biggest largemouth 5.5 lbs.
Perfected (?) the drop-shot technique
Learned lots of new spots on my new home lake
Slayed bass w/31 keepers in two and half days on Logan-Martin
Video of my partner catching 12 lb. rainbow trout in the Clinch
and with a month and half to go this year I am still out there about every
day!

alwaysfishking
November 18th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Ok here I go

The MTC. Seemed like it would never come around and when it did it ended all
too fast. Dale Hollow was definetly the most bassiest looking lake I have
ever been on. Had great days fishing with Warren, Steve, Charles and Jerry.
What a blast.

Coming in second at the NWC. Again fishing with some great people. Fritz and
Joe, I couldn't ask for better partners either day. I have to mention Steve
and Janet Huber & family for all their hospitality. ( class acts all the
way) Pat for providing some of the most entertaining evenings in a while. It
will be hard to out do that night anytime soon.

Bass fishing has been superb this year, with the puddle pusher I was able to
get on and catch some quality fish over 4 lbs. Not bad in P.A

Taking the kids on the boat and catching bass. My 4 year old and my three
year old each had bass over 3 lbs. Including the lunker by the little guy
that came in over 4 lbs on a winnie the pooh pole. All my kids were able to
lip a bass this year too!!!

Improving my baitcasting, not hard to do when you get permission for two new
shimano scorpions from the wife( mind you she let me get both at the same
time)

Fishing with numerous people out on the puddle pusher. Had a great day out
with Harry earlier this year and few great days minus the fish with Harry
during the year.

Well thats about it for me.

Randy-

"Charles B. Summers" (Comcast)> wrote in
message ...
> Well... let's see...
>
> There's the Mid-Tenn Classic
> Northwoods Classic
> An 18 1/2 hour trip to Dale Hollow
> Couple of great trips to Lake Barkley
> The night on Percy Priest where I actually caught more keepers than
> non-keepers
> Finding a few smallmouths on Priest... even though they were small
> Finally weighing in a limit of fish (With TNBass's help) at a club tourny.
> Being hired (relative term) by Secret Weapon Lures
> Becoming confident with plastic worms
>
> I didn't catch near as many fish this year as I did last year, but that's
> probably due to not fishing as much this year as I was use to. I did get
> fish with alot of great people again this year and learned a few more
> tricks. No matter where I was, or who I was with I always managed to have
> fun and bring something back home with me that I hope will help me in the
> future.
>
> Now... this year is far from over for me, so I anticipate that I can will
be
> able to add to this list before too long. I'm still determined to catch
fish
> on the Carolina-Rig, and the Float-n-Fly.
>

> "alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> > Ok the year is winding down and I've been thinking about the year is
> > perspective and fishing achievements/accomplishments. What are some of
> your
> > memorable fishing experiences this past year, good, bad indifferent. Win
> > tourney? Teach a kid to fish? Get out with the old man/lady? Catch a
fish
> on
> > a crankbait for the first time? Lunker? Personal bests? Let em rip. I'll
> > post mine later.
> >
> > Randy-

John Kerr
November 18th, 2003, 07:45 PM
Two trips out west, got to fish with the kid a few days...my all time
favorite acivity! Fished Kentucky Lake with my nephew...he knows some
real "honey holes":).
Got serious about crappie fishing...a good friend is into it big time,
and taught me the tricks, we caught some "big" crappie! Best part of
that was his cooking em after we got back in! <g>
Meeting up with some old buddies from the Navy Blue Angels down in
Pensacola, and doing the salt water thing again!
And naturally seeing my kid win the Miller High Life U.S. Open was the
real highlight of the year!
JK

Bob Rickard
November 18th, 2003, 08:06 PM
2003 has been the best year of my life. As many of you know, continuing
heart problems kept me off the water this year. Still, my weakening heart
has not affected my mind as it has my body (that's my story & I'm sticking
to it!), so I was able to focus all of my efforts into Secret Weapon. The
development of our new line seems to have taken forever, but it is my
responsibility to Joe, Charles, my wife, my family, and all Secret Weapon
users out there, present and future, to create a spinnerbait lure and
program second to none, period. That is now complete! Actually! Finally!
Really!

Our new lures will start showing up in select tackle shops by early spring
(and maybe even before Christmas), and on our website well before that. I
imagine that Joe will be spending most of his time dealing with our growth
and further establishing selected and controlled distribution. I see Charles
coordinating production & daily dealings with our factories. I know what I
will be doing: putzing with some new ideas, pestering Charles & Joe, and
doing everything possible to get back on the water. I've got a lot of
serious fishing that needs to be done.

It doesn't get much better than that!

--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com

"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> Ok the year is winding down and I've been thinking about the year is
> perspective and fishing achievements/accomplishments. What are some of
your
> memorable fishing experiences this past year, good, bad indifferent. Win a
> tourney? Teach a kid to fish? Get out with the old man/lady? Catch a fish
on
> a crankbait for the first time? Lunker? Personal bests? Let em rip. I'll
> post mine later.
>
> Randy-

Ranger_391
November 18th, 2003, 08:50 PM
Really good year for me. I have been a no-boat in our club for 3
years. Last winter I decided this would be the year to move to the
front. Never was embarassed(although I was damn vervous). Caught
fish in every tourney. Qualified as a boat for Wisconsin BASS
Federation Zone, finished in 4th in club and grabbged the last spot on
next year's Wisconsin 4 man state team tourney.

Scott...
Chetek, Wisconsin

"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message >...
> Ok the year is winding down and I've been thinking about the year is
> perspective and fishing achievements/accomplishments. What are some of your
> memorable fishing experiences this past year, good, bad indifferent. Win a
> tourney? Teach a kid to fish? Get out with the old man/lady? Catch a fish on
> a crankbait for the first time? Lunker? Personal bests? Let em rip. I'll
> post mine later.
>
> Randy-

John Kerr
November 18th, 2003, 08:56 PM
Bob....Good to see you in such fine spirits, and continuing with all of
your plans and dreams after a set back that would have put many people
in the doldrums! Good luck on your lure business...havn't tried em, but
I will!
John

Thundercat
November 18th, 2003, 10:02 PM
"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> Ok the year is winding down and I've been thinking about the year is
> perspective and fishing achievements/accomplishments. What are some of
your
> memorable fishing experiences this past year, good, bad indifferent. Win a
> tourney? Teach a kid to fish? Get out with the old man/lady? Catch a fish
on
> a crankbait for the first time? Lunker? Personal bests? Let em rip. I'll
> post mine later.

Three things stand out among all of the great times I've had doing fishing
related stuff this year. Here they are in no particular order..

1: Fishing Lake Champlain w/ Rich Z
2: Fishing Dale Hollow with you crazy people
3: Rugby Songs...

--
Harry J. aka Thundercat
Bass fishing is NOT a hobby...

Brad Coovert
November 19th, 2003, 01:06 AM
2003 Highlights

1) First full year in my 2002 Toon TR176
2) Got my new MinnKota Maxxum 74
3) Was A.O.Y. for my club from start to finish this year weighing in fish in
all 10 club tourneys
4) Took my daughter out for her first fishing trip on the boat
5) Went to a new lake that I never new existed with Andrew Kidd
6) Fished the St. Joe and White River for the first time ever in club tourneys
and won one of them
7) Fished Lake Shelbyville for the first time and hooked but lost my first
Muskie ever there.....mean fish!
8) Aquired 100's of Senkos at a great discount....spent the savings on the
wife. What great PR at home!

Brad Coovert, 2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
Please visit our sponsors:
http://www.geocities.com/greenfieldbass/WelcomeToOurSponsorPage.htm

go-bassn
November 19th, 2003, 01:07 AM
That's a fun thread, here goes:

1) Seeing all you sick b-stards down in TN this spring, definately the
highlight of my season!

2) Fishing the BASS Northern Opens - I didn't win a nickle but I gained a
fortune in experience, new techniques & (most of all) new friends.

3) Weighed in my two largest limits (5 fish) of smallmouth in tournaments -
19-9 in a club event at Merrill Creek NJ & 18-13 at the Federation
Divisional on Lake Champlain. Boy were they fun days!

Looking forward to a long winter of BSing & Sh-tshooting with you guys here
on ROFB!

Warren

"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> Ok the year is winding down and I've been thinking about the year is
> perspective and fishing achievements/accomplishments. What are some of
your
> memorable fishing experiences this past year, good, bad indifferent. Win a
> tourney? Teach a kid to fish? Get out with the old man/lady? Catch a fish
on
> a crankbait for the first time? Lunker? Personal bests? Let em rip. I'll
> post mine later.
>
> Randy-

Andrew Kidd
November 19th, 2003, 03:25 AM
"Brad Coovert" > wrote in message
> 2003 Highlights
>
> 1) First full year in my 2002 Toon TR176
> 2) Got my new MinnKota Maxxum 74
> 3) Was A.O.Y. for my club from start to finish this year weighing in fish
in
> all 10 club tourneys
> 4) Took my daughter out for her first fishing trip on the boat
> 5) Went to a new lake that I never new existed with Andrew Kidd

...and this guy is really glad he got a chance to throw a lure or two out
with Brad. Guy can put fish in the boat, no doubt!

That, and had a real nice non-competitive year, catching a few bigger fish
this year. Have been concentrating more on quantity then quality. Caught a
couple nice ones. Anxious to really get a hold on the deeper fish for next
year. Of course, I've been saying that for a couple years now!

Brad...We need to get together and plan a "deep fish" outing or two... Try
to get that deep bite going. A fellow fishing this weekend said he caught
twelve this weekend while I only caught one. He said they were out on the
break line at Morse. I wouldn't know what the heck he was talking about...
(ok, I know, but have never REALLY given it a fair effort...).

Call or email some time this winter. Get the plan going early!
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

Huck Palmatier
November 19th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Charity Pro/Am tournament with the FLW Jacob's Cup contenders at Lake
Chesdin in September. It really was a hoot rubbing (and bending) elbows with
those guys. Forty eight people most of us dream about fishing with/against.
said Huck

Nikolay
November 19th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Great thread! Thanks Randy.

Very good bass year for me. At least compared to the one before.
In fact this was my first serious bass-fishing year. Sure, I've tried
before, but not so systematically.

Many good thing happened:

-I got some quality equipment (St.Croix Avid/Curado),
I guess not bad for a beginning.
-My daughter (7) landed her first bass!
-Caught some nice SM in the river (nothing more than 3#, but that's OK)
-Caught bass on almost every type of lure (still no luck with the lipless
crankbaits though, but the year is not officially over so I keep trying)
-Subscribing to this NG (This is the best thing!)

And now the not so good things:

-No trip longer than 3 hours ...
-No fishing from a boat.
-And I didn't have a chance to attend any of the ROFB gatherings.
(and this is the worst thing)

Well, I guess that's it.
Nikolay

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
November 22nd, 2003, 01:09 AM
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 00:18:22 GMT, "alwaysfishking"
> sent into the ether:

>Ok the year is winding down and I've been thinking about the year is
>perspective and fishing achievements/accomplishments. What are some of your
>memorable fishing experiences this past year, good, bad indifferent. Win a
>tourney? Teach a kid to fish? Get out with the old man/lady? Catch a fish on
>a crankbait for the first time? Lunker? Personal bests? Let em rip. I'll
>post mine later.
>
> Randy-

Well, as I sit here in my "new" apartment in Merill, WI, I have to say
I enjoyed all the fishing I was able to afford to do this year. My
biggest highlight is... I now have a job! Yes, someone is actually
paying to work for them! Yahoo

Not only do I have a job, but I am now 45 to 60 minutes away from
places I used to drive half a day to get to! The company I work for
is on the WI River and I can cast from the edge of the parking lot. I
sure do hope there are Smallies around there.

Steve Huber is only 45 minutes to my Northeast. Steve, Janet and I
went to the Al Gen for a fish fry last Friday and it is indeed a good
feed! I can't wait till the NWC!

My highlights on the water were the times I was able to take Justin,
my 10 year old grandson out fishing. The next best was my oldest son
John now likes to fish and we got out too. I am hoping to have them
both up here next summer for many outings on the water.

Look out Smallies, here we come!

BTW, I have a favorite Largemouth lake about an hour away too :<}

Now I am just going to sit back and laugh at old man winter. Ain't
nothing he can throw at me that could be worse than the last year + of
searching for employment.

dvito
November 22nd, 2003, 03:46 AM
Hey everyone,

It's been a while since my last post but I'm back. This is a good topic
Randy. I had a really fun season of fishing. Early in the season I hooked up
with the Alwaysfisking dude and caught the only bass on our first day out.

After that I was the one-fish-wonder for a little while until I broke that
streak by boating like 9 fish in an outing.

I beat my personal best bass and then beat that one and again beat it once
more to bring my personal best bass to #5.5. That was a great acomplishment
for me. Too bad every time I did break it I never had a camera with me.

I started tourney fishing in the local clubs this year and had some good
experieences there. I partnered up with Randy in the "Bathtub" for a money
tourney and beat out half the field. That was cool.

I got to fish with alot of cool people, when I was for the most part in the
past, fishing solo. This was probably the best year of fishing I've had in a
long time.

G. M. Zimmermann
November 25th, 2003, 12:51 PM
Well, yesterday while up at bear camp the story of me catching 5 bass while
duck hunting was told numerous times, I guess thats my most memorable.

-Zimmy