PDA

View Full Version : Increasing casting distance.

CR
November 19th, 2003, 04:29 PM
I want to increase my casting distance with light lures (1/16th oz),
using a spinning reel. I'm using a 5' 6" ML rod with a Symmetre 2000
reel and powerpro 10/2. I have 2 ideas. One is to spool my reel as
full as possible. The other is to switch to a longer rod (maybe 6'
6"). I suspect many of you will recommend the longer rod, if so I have
a question. Most 6' 6" rods seem to be rated M or higher. Will a M
action rod work with really light lures? Should I get a ML 6' 6" rod?
I was thinking of the Berkely Bionix (50$ at Walmart).

Thanks!

Chuck.

Charles B. Summers
November 19th, 2003, 04:58 PM
The longer rod will help, but switch to mono. The weight of the PP when wet
will surely affect your distance.

"CR" > wrote in message
om...
> I want to increase my casting distance with light lures (1/16th oz),
> using a spinning reel. I'm using a 5' 6" ML rod with a Symmetre 2000
> reel and powerpro 10/2. I have 2 ideas. One is to spool my reel as
> full as possible. The other is to switch to a longer rod (maybe 6'
> 6"). I suspect many of you will recommend the longer rod, if so I have
> a question. Most 6' 6" rods seem to be rated M or higher. Will a M
> action rod work with really light lures? Should I get a ML 6' 6" rod?
> I was thinking of the Berkely Bionix (50$ at Walmart).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chuck.

AJH
November 19th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Filling the spool "as much as possible" will just cause problems..Using
mono and a longer LT/ Med Lt rod may help but you can only do so much
witth light lures.. a little car wax on the end of the spool might
help..

I fish therefore I lie

Crownliner
November 20th, 2003, 12:37 AM
use a bigger diameter spool spinning reel. the smaller reels creat drag on
the line and cut casting distance a lot.

crownliner
"CR" > wrote in message
om...
> I want to increase my casting distance with light lures (1/16th oz),
> using a spinning reel. I'm using a 5' 6" ML rod with a Symmetre 2000
> reel and powerpro 10/2. I have 2 ideas. One is to spool my reel as
> full as possible. The other is to switch to a longer rod (maybe 6'
> 6"). I suspect many of you will recommend the longer rod, if so I have
> a question. Most 6' 6" rods seem to be rated M or higher. Will a M
> action rod work with really light lures? Should I get a ML 6' 6" rod?
> I was thinking of the Berkely Bionix (50$ at Walmart).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chuck.

Illinois Fisherman
November 20th, 2003, 01:15 PM
PP take on water? I don't think so. Most Mono's absorbed water creating a
heaver line for a light lure to overcome. Most braided lines do not absorb
water. A silicone coated mono line will not absorb much water. I would stick
with the PP line. Go with a ML 6'6" rod for distance.

"Charles B. Summers" (Comcast)> wrote in
message ...
> The longer rod will help, but switch to mono. The weight of the PP when
wet
> will surely affect your distance.
>
> "CR" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I want to increase my casting distance with light lures (1/16th oz),
> > using a spinning reel. I'm using a 5' 6" ML rod with a Symmetre 2000
> > reel and powerpro 10/2. I have 2 ideas. One is to spool my reel as
> > full as possible. The other is to switch to a longer rod (maybe 6'
> > 6"). I suspect many of you will recommend the longer rod, if so I have
> > a question. Most 6' 6" rods seem to be rated M or higher. Will a M
> > action rod work with really light lures? Should I get a ML 6' 6" rod?
> > I was thinking of the Berkely Bionix (50$ at Walmart).
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Chuck.

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
November 20th, 2003, 01:22 PM
"Charles B. Summers" (Comcast)> wrote in message
> The longer rod will help, but switch to mono. The weight of the PP when wet
> will surely affect your distance.

Charles, I don't think PowerPro absorbs water any more than mono does. Certainly not enough to have
an effect on casting distance.
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

Jeff Durham
November 20th, 2003, 01:38 PM
I think you are going to get better distance with PowerPro than mono. You
could switch to their 8lb test which is 1lb mono diameter. I would assume
that would cast further than the 10/2.

Jeff

"CR" > wrote in message
om...
> I want to increase my casting distance with light lures (1/16th oz),
> using a spinning reel. I'm using a 5' 6" ML rod with a Symmetre 2000
> reel and powerpro 10/2. I have 2 ideas. One is to spool my reel as
> full as possible. The other is to switch to a longer rod (maybe 6'
> 6"). I suspect many of you will recommend the longer rod, if so I have
> a question. Most 6' 6" rods seem to be rated M or higher. Will a M
> action rod work with really light lures? Should I get a ML 6' 6" rod?
> I was thinking of the Berkely Bionix (50$ at Walmart).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chuck.

Spoonplugger
November 20th, 2003, 02:50 PM
What about spider line? I have been consistently outcast on that stuff,never
used it myself too cheap to pay 30 bucks for a spool of line
"Jeff Durham" > wrote in message
> I think you are going to get better distance with PowerPro than mono. You
> could switch to their 8lb test which is 1lb mono diameter. I would assume
> that would cast further than the 10/2.
>
> Jeff
>
> "CR" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I want to increase my casting distance with light lures (1/16th oz),
> > using a spinning reel. I'm using a 5' 6" ML rod with a Symmetre 2000
> > reel and powerpro 10/2. I have 2 ideas. One is to spool my reel as
> > full as possible. The other is to switch to a longer rod (maybe 6'
> > 6"). I suspect many of you will recommend the longer rod, if so I have
> > a question. Most 6' 6" rods seem to be rated M or higher. Will a M
> > action rod work with really light lures? Should I get a ML 6' 6" rod?
> > I was thinking of the Berkely Bionix (50$ at Walmart).
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Chuck.

CR
November 20th, 2003, 03:06 PM
"Charles B. Summers" (Comcast)> wrote in message >...

> The longer rod will help, but switch to mono. The weight of the PP when wet
> will surely affect your distance.

I swear it seems that my distance actually goes up significantly after
a few casts. Maybe the wet line goes through the reel easier. Or maybe
its my imagination. I wonder what is considered to be a good distance
for 1/16th of an ounce? Maybe I'm already getting about the max.

Jeff Durham
November 20th, 2003, 08:11 PM
I have never used spider line. I know others that use it and really like
it, but I don't know how it compares to PowerPro. I have used various types
of mono, Fireline, and PowerPro. I have settled on PowerPro is my all
around favorite.

Jeff

"Spoonplugger" > wrote in message
> What about spider line? I have been consistently outcast on that
stuff,never
> used it myself too cheap to pay 30 bucks for a spool of line
> "Jeff Durham" > wrote in message
> > I think you are going to get better distance with PowerPro than mono.
You
> > could switch to their 8lb test which is 1lb mono diameter. I would
assume
> > that would cast further than the 10/2.
> >
> > Jeff
> >
> > "CR" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > I want to increase my casting distance with light lures (1/16th oz),
> > > using a spinning reel. I'm using a 5' 6" ML rod with a Symmetre 2000
> > > reel and powerpro 10/2. I have 2 ideas. One is to spool my reel as
> > > full as possible. The other is to switch to a longer rod (maybe 6'
> > > 6"). I suspect many of you will recommend the longer rod, if so I have
> > > a question. Most 6' 6" rods seem to be rated M or higher. Will a M
> > > action rod work with really light lures? Should I get a ML 6' 6" rod?
> > > I was thinking of the Berkely Bionix (50$ at Walmart).
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Chuck.

Richard Liebert
November 20th, 2003, 09:29 PM
6'6" rod with large diameter spool and PP should do the trick.
I use 20lb PP on a Cabalas Prodigy reel.
Works just great!
You can only cast just so far with any setup.

"Jeff Durham" > wrote in message
> I have never used spider line. I know others that use it and really like
> it, but I don't know how it compares to PowerPro. I have used various
types
> of mono, Fireline, and PowerPro. I have settled on PowerPro is my all
> around favorite.
>
> Jeff
>
> "Spoonplugger" > wrote in message
> > What about spider line? I have been consistently outcast on that
> stuff,never
> > used it myself too cheap to pay 30 bucks for a spool of line
> > "Jeff Durham" > wrote in message
> > > I think you are going to get better distance with PowerPro than mono.
> You
> > > could switch to their 8lb test which is 1lb mono diameter. I would
> assume
> > > that would cast further than the 10/2.
> > >
> > > Jeff
> > >
> > > "CR" > wrote in message
> > > om...

Tilman Fliegel
November 20th, 2003, 11:35 PM
You could easily go to a rod length of 8' if casting distance is your aim.

Dave Norton
November 21st, 2003, 02:01 AM
The reason you are seeing an increase in casting distance as the line gets
wetter is a decrease in line resistance thru the guides. This will apply to
mono as well as super lines.
Also the better that the guides are will help in reducing said resistance.
JMHO!

--
Dave Norton
Millennium Rods
"CR" > wrote in message
om...
> "Charles B. Summers" (Comcast)> wrote in
message >...

> > The longer rod will help, but switch to mono. The weight of the PP when
wet
> > will surely affect your distance.
>
> I swear it seems that my distance actually goes up significantly after
> a few casts. Maybe the wet line goes through the reel easier. Or maybe
> its my imagination. I wonder what is considered to be a good distance
> for 1/16th of an ounce? Maybe I'm already getting about the max.

Gone Angling
November 21st, 2003, 03:38 AM
I would rather acheive longer casts with a shorter rod (7 ft). This rod can
also give you a rapid succession of casts. The longer 8-9 ft rod is often
difficult to wield and cause arm pain. A 7 ft rod (rapala or berkley workhorse)
and using other factors to acheive long casts is the best for me.

Acee
November 21st, 2003, 03:49 AM
The persons suggesting using a larger spool are correct and it makes sense
to me from all aspects. I have 2000 and 4000 size Stradic reels on the
same setups except the 2000 has a less test line (10 vs. 8 lb) and I can not
get the distance on the smaller reel that I can on the 4000 size reel,
further, I can feel the difference when stripping line from the two size
reels.

CR
November 21st, 2003, 02:51 PM
(Gone Angling) wrote in message >...
> I would rather acheive longer casts with a shorter rod (7 ft). This rod can
> also give you a rapid succession of casts. The longer 8-9 ft rod is often
> difficult to wield and cause arm pain. A 7 ft rod (rapala or berkley workhorse)
> and using other factors to acheive long casts is the best for me.

Most of my fishing is done on creeks so I'm worried about using too long of a rod.

Illinois Fisherman
November 21st, 2003, 05:17 PM
Try a 6ft Ugly Stik Lite in ML - Graphite and E-Glass - Soft tip flexible
enough for light weights.

"CR" > wrote in message
om...
> (Gone Angling) wrote in message
> > I would rather acheive longer casts with a shorter rod (7 ft). This rod
can
> > also give you a rapid succession of casts. The longer 8-9 ft rod is
often
> > difficult to wield and cause arm pain. A 7 ft rod (rapala or berkley
workhorse)
> > and using other factors to acheive long casts is the best for me.
>
> Most of my fishing is done on creeks so I'm worried about using too long
of a rod.

AJH
November 21st, 2003, 06:23 PM
Now I am confused, You want to cast 1/16 oz lures far but you can't use
a real long rod because your fishing in creeks..

I fish therefore I lie

AJH
November 21st, 2003, 08:08 PM
Is Chuck Al? I noticed he shops at Wally World too...

I fish therefore I lie

CR
November 21st, 2003, 09:04 PM
(AJH) wrote in message >...
> Filling the spool "as much as possible" will just cause problems..Using
> mono and a longer LT/ Med Lt rod may help but you can only do so much
> witth light lures.. a little car wax on the end of the spool might
> help..

Just did a little test. I compared 6 lb trilene xl to powerpro 10/2. I
was able to cast a 1/16th oz jig, 6 parking lot lines with the
powerpro and 7 with the trilene. My math tells me that's about 17%
more distance with the mono.

Fritz Nordengren
November 22nd, 2003, 12:09 AM
Okay -- but why? First, lets look at a few things. Line weight -- the
heavier the line, the farther the distance...as an exagerated example,
compare how far your can throw a dock line on your boat with how far you
can throw your power pro.

Next, let's look at friction --- usually, a mono or flouro will be
smoother than Powerpro so less friction -- UNLESS the mono comes off the
reel in loops or twists which cause more contact with the guides.

But mostly: how is your form? How much do you load the rod on your
back cast? How do you stop your forward cast? What kind of trajectory
does your lure have as it moves away from you? All those components
probalby affect your total distance more than the brand of rod or size
of reel (within reason).

Golfers and fly fishers spend hours practicing their form.....

Also, practice with a 1/32 lure and get it as far as you possibly can.
When you switch to the 1/16 you'll be amazed at the added distance.
CR wrote:

> Just did a little test. I compared 6 lb trilene xl to powerpro 10/2. I
> was able to cast a 1/16th oz jig, 6 parking lot lines with the
> powerpro and 7 with the trilene. My math tells me that's about 17%
> more distance with the mono.

CR
November 23rd, 2003, 02:06 PM
Fritz Nordengren > wrote in message news:<yOxvb.70989$Dw6.360193@attbi_s02>...
> Okay -- but why? First, lets look at a few things. Line weight -- the
> heavier the line, the farther the distance...as an exagerated example,
> compare how far your can throw a dock line on your boat with how far you
> can throw your power pro.
>
> Next, let's look at friction --- usually, a mono or flouro will be
> smoother than Powerpro so less friction -- UNLESS the mono comes off the
> reel in loops or twists which cause more contact with the guides.

I think that's the key here. The mono is much slicker than the
powerpro. Both seem to be about the same limpness.

> But mostly: how is your form? How much do you load the rod on your
> back cast? How do you stop your forward cast? What kind of trajectory
> does your lure have as it moves away from you? All those components
> probalby affect your total distance more than the brand of rod or size
> of reel (within reason).
>
> Golfers and fly fishers spend hours practicing their form.....

Good point.

I switched to 6lb mono. It definitely casts farther. Enough to make me
switch. It takes some getting used to. If I tighten the knot
incorrectly the line curls up. And you can't use a snap hookset, it
has to be a long steady pull.

Thanks!

Chuck.

Rob Storm
November 25th, 2003, 06:36 AM
I used to spend three months every year casting 1/16 oz and 1/32 oz jigs for
White Bass. With the right set up you can make fairly long casts. My
favorite rod is a 71/2 foot Cabela's spinning rod, either Light or Medium Light
action. I can't cast well with a rod that's too limber. Most so called Ultra
Light rods don't have enough backbone to give you the necessary "snap" to
really shoot a light lure out there. I've used 8- and 9-foot rods and they
can cast very well, but my arm and wrist get tired way too soon to suit me.

Which line? I like 4 lb. clear mono or 8 lb PowerPro. I agree that a larger
diameter reel works better than the tiniest of ultra lights, but also believe
that there is a point beyond which a large diameter is counter-productive. I
haven't actually measured the old Mitchell 300 spool, but I think it's about
the right diameter.

It's true that filling a spool to its ultimate capacity can add a little
distance to your cast. The first cast, that is. Maybe even the second and
third. But sooner or later, the line will come off in a pile of
uncontrollable loops and the resulting tangle will make you wish you'd payed
attention to the owner's manual and stopped the line when it got about 1/16 of
an inch from the lip.

Also -- you might take a look at which lure you're using. A small plastic grub
on a jig will give you more casting distance than the same jig head tied with
feathers or bucktail -- especially if the jig is overdressed. The grub is less
wind resistant and it also has some weight of its own which helps load your rod
and carry the cast.

Family, Friends, Fishing,
Rob Storm
http://stormsrestaurants.com

RichZ
November 25th, 2003, 06:51 AM
Rob wrote:

> I used to spend three months every year casting 1/16 oz and 1/32 oz jigs for
> White Bass.

I use a lot of little stuff for LM and SM bass, as well as crappies. It's one of
my favorite ways to fish.

Most so called Ultra
> Light rods don't have enough backbone to give you the necessary "snap" to
> really shoot a light lure out there.

Steve Huber recently built me a 7 footer for this application that is just
phenomenal. I find myself using it for drop shotting as well as for the little
jigs it was intended for.

> Which line? I like 4 lb. clear mono or 8 lb PowerPro.

Mono. the stretch actually helps in landing fish on light line. most any
nn-fluorescent mono will do for me, but the Yozuri hybrid is my favortie.

> I agree that a larger
> diameter reel works better than the tiniest of ultra lights,

I typically use a spinning reel on size larger than normal.

> Also -- you might take a look at which lure you're using. A small plastic grub
> on a jig will give you more casting distance than the same jig head tied with
> feathers or bucktail

Once the feather/hair get saturated, the casting distance will be comparable.
Even greater for marabou.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing