PDA

View Full Version : Airplanes and Spinnerbaits

Charles B. Summers
August 22nd, 2004, 08:03 PM
What do these two have in common?

I'm never understood completely why you'd use a painted black blade on a
spinnerbait at night until watching the History Channel late last night.
No... they weren't doing the history of the spinnerbait, but rather showing
the old Mustang aircrafts. They were not painted... just a silvery finish
like the nickle blades on the spinnerbait. I wondered why they'd use a
reflective finish on a plane when they knew it was going to be targeted.

Anyone know the reason for the silvery finish? Well, it's only going to
reflect back, what's around it. So if it's in the sky, it should reflect the
blueness on the sky making it at least appear to be a smaller target. Flying
at night, it's going to make it almost invisible. This is where the
spinnerbaits come in.

At night, fishing a black spinnerbait with a silver blade... all the fish
will be able to see is the body of the bait (in theory). The nickle blade
would just be reflecting the water around it making it invisible. Remove the
silver and add a black blade, then (in theory) the bait gets a larger
profile! A larger profile gives the fish a larger target.

Why ya think? Sound reasonable?

Henry Hefner
August 22nd, 2004, 10:30 PM
Charles B. Summers wrote:
> What do these two have in common?
>
> I'm never understood completely why you'd use a painted black blade on a
> spinnerbait at night until watching the History Channel late last night.
> No... they weren't doing the history of the spinnerbait, but rather showing
> the old Mustang aircrafts. They were not painted... just a silvery finish
> like the nickle blades on the spinnerbait. I wondered why they'd use a
> reflective finish on a plane when they knew it was going to be targeted.
>
> Anyone know the reason for the silvery finish? Well, it's only going to
> reflect back, what's around it. So if it's in the sky, it should reflect the
> blueness on the sky making it at least appear to be a smaller target. Flying
> at night, it's going to make it almost invisible. This is where the
> spinnerbaits come in.
>
> At night, fishing a black spinnerbait with a silver blade... all the fish
> will be able to see is the body of the bait (in theory). The nickle blade
> would just be reflecting the water around it making it invisible. Remove the
> silver and add a black blade, then (in theory) the bait gets a larger
> profile! A larger profile gives the fish a larger target.
>
> Why ya think? Sound reasonable?

Sounds better than anything I have been able to come up with. I always
figured the fish could see the profile of the silver blade as well as it
could the profile of the black. never could figure out why black was
supposed to be better, but the way you've explined it makes sense!
Thanks Chuck!

Hank

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
August 22nd, 2004, 11:58 PM
On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 14:03:23 -0500, "Charles B. Summers"
> sent into the ether:

>What do these two have in common?
>
>I'm never understood completely why you'd use a painted black blade on a
>spinnerbait at night until watching the History Channel late last night.
>No... they weren't doing the history of the spinnerbait, but rather showing
>the old Mustang aircrafts. They were not painted... just a silvery finish
>like the nickle blades on the spinnerbait. I wondered why they'd use a
>reflective finish on a plane when they knew it was going to be targeted.
>
>Anyone know the reason for the silvery finish? Well, it's only going to
>reflect back, what's around it. So if it's in the sky, it should reflect the
>blueness on the sky making it at least appear to be a smaller target. Flying
>at night, it's going to make it almost invisible. This is where the
>spinnerbaits come in.
>
>At night, fishing a black spinnerbait with a silver blade... all the fish
>will be able to see is the body of the bait (in theory). The nickle blade
>would just be reflecting the water around it making it invisible. Remove the
>silver and add a black blade, then (in theory) the bait gets a larger
>profile! A larger profile gives the fish a larger target.
>
>Why ya think? Sound reasonable?

Yes

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com