PDA

View Full Version : My first baitcaster...

Christopher P. Cericola
August 23rd, 2004, 06:54 PM
For the past week or three, I've been eyeing a Shimano Curado combo at BPS.
When I saw there's a BPS only about 30-minutes from where I was staying I
knew I needed to go and visit. Well, Saturday, I did just that and today
was the first day I got to use it.

Overall, I love it...I've had a few backlashes here and there but I'm
quickly adapting to it. Of course, now that I have one, I need MORE. :)

Out on the local lake with a rented boat, we did two bass. That was two
more than everyone else we saw on the lake. in fact, my wife landed her
first bass ever though she lost it just as she went to pull it out. They
have a pier for fishing so I may go back out there for a few hours.

I'll post pics of my teeny half-a-pounder when I return from Virginia.

Christopher

Chris Rennert
August 23rd, 2004, 07:05 PM
Chris,

Congratulations on the combo and the bass. I love the Curado. Those are
the only baitcasters I have, and don't sweat the backlashes, we all get em
here and there. As for getting more now that you have one,, It doesn't ever
seem like you have enough of them for every situation so you don't have to
retie every time you want to change baits :). I now have 5 curado combos
and I could use at least 2 more :)

Take care and tight lines

chris
"Christopher P. Cericola" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> For the past week or three, I've been eyeing a Shimano Curado combo at
BPS.
> When I saw there's a BPS only about 30-minutes from where I was staying I
> knew I needed to go and visit. Well, Saturday, I did just that and today
> was the first day I got to use it.
>
> Overall, I love it...I've had a few backlashes here and there but I'm
> quickly adapting to it. Of course, now that I have one, I need MORE. :)
>
> Out on the local lake with a rented boat, we did two bass. That was two
> more than everyone else we saw on the lake. in fact, my wife landed her
> first bass ever though she lost it just as she went to pull it out. They
> have a pier for fishing so I may go back out there for a few hours.
>
> I'll post pics of my teeny half-a-pounder when I return from Virginia.
>
> Christopher

alwaysfishking
August 23rd, 2004, 09:11 PM
Funny about that Chris. I had all sorts of rods reels etc and don't even get
me started on tackle. But I learned an important lesson down in Fla this
year. I was fishing with Moe Conway on day two. He had one rod on deck and I
think a bag of worms. Needless to say adding my 2 fish(with70 pounds of
tackle and 5 rods) to Moe's 5 fish gave us 1st place team for day two.

I believe it was Warren who once said to that if you show up to a tourny
that he's in and he only has 1 rod on the deck to watch out cause he's
bringing in a bag. Maybe it's confidence, maybe it's knowing the lake, but
either way, I've scaled down big time. I've learned so much watching and
fishing with the members on this NG, from watching Joe H fish a trick worm
so painstakingly slow, to watching Charles fish a spinnerbait. Steve H
fishing a fluke and Warren just casting to every single place that looks
like it wouldn't hold a fish, methodically picking a part a lake. This group
is awesome. So outside of a great trip, and a little competition, the
learning experience is what does it for me. Getting a chance to fish with
old friends and new friends is what makes it all worth it. I know I sort of
brought this OT from the post but hey I couldn't resist. Go to a ROFB
classic it's well worth the trip

"Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
. ..
> Chris,
>
> Congratulations on the combo and the bass. I love the Curado. Those are
> the only baitcasters I have, and don't sweat the backlashes, we all get em
> here and there. As for getting more now that you have one,, It doesn't
ever
> seem like you have enough of them for every situation so you don't have to
> retie every time you want to change baits :). I now have 5 curado combos
> and I could use at least 2 more :)
>
> Take care and tight lines
>
> chris
> "Christopher P. Cericola" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > For the past week or three, I've been eyeing a Shimano Curado combo at
> BPS.
> > When I saw there's a BPS only about 30-minutes from where I was staying
> > knew I needed to go and visit. Well, Saturday, I did just that and
today
> > was the first day I got to use it.
> >
> > Overall, I love it...I've had a few backlashes here and there but I'm
> > quickly adapting to it. Of course, now that I have one, I need MORE. :)
> >
> > Out on the local lake with a rented boat, we did two bass. That was two
> > more than everyone else we saw on the lake. in fact, my wife landed her
> > first bass ever though she lost it just as she went to pull it out.
They
> > have a pier for fishing so I may go back out there for a few hours.
> >
> > I'll post pics of my teeny half-a-pounder when I return from Virginia.
> >
> > Christopher

Chris Rennert
August 23rd, 2004, 09:24 PM
Randy,

I agree with you 100%, 75% of the time I am using 1 bait, but.........my
thing is being prepared for anything. If I am working a deep hump with say
a Texas rigged plastic and suddenly shad start busting the surface I don't
want to be scrambling around trying to tie on a pop-r or spinnerbait in time
to hit the flurry. It isn't that I sit and pick up a different rod each
cast, or even take them out of the rod storage. Yesterday I sat with my
flipping rod on the deck the whole time. The only other rod I had on the
deck but never used was a spinning rod rigged with a tube. I didn't want it
to seem like I need 12 rods on deck at all times, but I want to make sure I
am fishing 99% of the time and retying 1% of the time. Some guys can retie
as fast as I can almost grab another rod out of rod storage, but I am not
one of those guys so I want to be safe and not sorry :-D.
I am behind you all the way with one rod and a bag of worms. Oh well, we
will talk more at the NWC .

Take care,

Chris
"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message

> Funny about that Chris. I had all sorts of rods reels etc and don't even
get
> me started on tackle. But I learned an important lesson down in Fla this
> year. I was fishing with Moe Conway on day two. He had one rod on deck and
> think a bag of worms. Needless to say adding my 2 fish(with70 pounds of
> tackle and 5 rods) to Moe's 5 fish gave us 1st place team for day two.
>
> I believe it was Warren who once said to that if you show up to a tourny
> that he's in and he only has 1 rod on the deck to watch out cause he's
> bringing in a bag. Maybe it's confidence, maybe it's knowing the lake, but
> either way, I've scaled down big time. I've learned so much watching and
> fishing with the members on this NG, from watching Joe H fish a trick worm
> so painstakingly slow, to watching Charles fish a spinnerbait. Steve H
> fishing a fluke and Warren just casting to every single place that looks
> like it wouldn't hold a fish, methodically picking a part a lake. This
group
> is awesome. So outside of a great trip, and a little competition, the
> learning experience is what does it for me. Getting a chance to fish with
> old friends and new friends is what makes it all worth it. I know I sort
of
> brought this OT from the post but hey I couldn't resist. Go to a ROFB
> classic it's well worth the trip
>

> "Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Chris,
> >
> > Congratulations on the combo and the bass. I love the Curado. Those
are
> > the only baitcasters I have, and don't sweat the backlashes, we all get
em
> > here and there. As for getting more now that you have one,, It doesn't
> ever
> > seem like you have enough of them for every situation so you don't have
> > retie every time you want to change baits :). I now have 5 curado
combos
> > and I could use at least 2 more :)
> >
> > Take care and tight lines
> >
> > chris
> > "Christopher P. Cericola" > wrote in
message
> > oups.com...
> > > For the past week or three, I've been eyeing a Shimano Curado combo at
> > BPS.
> > > When I saw there's a BPS only about 30-minutes from where I was
staying
> > > knew I needed to go and visit. Well, Saturday, I did just that and
> today
> > > was the first day I got to use it.
> > >
> > > Overall, I love it...I've had a few backlashes here and there but I'm
> > > quickly adapting to it. Of course, now that I have one, I need MORE.
:)

> > > Out on the local lake with a rented boat, we did two bass. That was
two
> > > more than everyone else we saw on the lake. in fact, my wife landed
her
> > > first bass ever though she lost it just as she went to pull it out.
> They
> > > have a pier for fishing so I may go back out there for a few hours.
> > >
> > > I'll post pics of my teeny half-a-pounder when I return from Virginia.
> > >
> > > Christopher

SimRacer
August 23rd, 2004, 09:38 PM
"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message

> Funny about that Chris. I had all sorts of rods reels etc and don't even
get
> me started on tackle. But I learned an important lesson down in Fla this
> year. I was fishing with Moe Conway on day two. He had one rod on deck and
> think a bag of worms. Needless to say adding my 2 fish(with70 pounds of
> tackle and 5 rods) to Moe's 5 fish gave us 1st place team for day two.
>
> I believe it was Warren who once said to that if you show up to a tourny
> that he's in and he only has 1 rod on the deck to watch out cause he's
> bringing in a bag. Maybe it's confidence, maybe it's knowing the lake, but
> either way, I've scaled down big time. I've learned so much watching and
> fishing with the members on this NG, from watching Joe H fish a trick worm
> so painstakingly slow, to watching Charles fish a spinnerbait. Steve H
> fishing a fluke and Warren just casting to every single place that looks
> like it wouldn't hold a fish, methodically picking a part a lake. This
group
> is awesome. So outside of a great trip, and a little competition, the
> learning experience is what does it for me. Getting a chance to fish with
> old friends and new friends is what makes it all worth it. I know I sort
of
> brought this OT from the post but hey I couldn't resist. Go to a ROFB
> classic it's well worth the trip

Great observations IMO. Though I do still carry a few rods, I always have
five with me: 3 baitcasters and 2 spinning rigs. One each is purely a
backup, which leaves me with 2 baticasters and one spinning setup on deck.
Spinner is for everything too light for a B/C, and I usually have a
different bait tied on the two baitcasters since I can say I am similar to
Mike Iaconelli in that if the fish hits at one thing, maybe once, maybe
twice, but doesn't take it then I throw something else right in there on top
of that bait and I don't have time to change in between so I have to keep
that second bait rigged up with that second *easier hooking* bait at all
times.

But that's just me, and I just do this stuff for fun, not for the
trounament/competition aspect.

Brad Coovert
August 23rd, 2004, 09:44 PM
>Of course, now that I have one, I need MORE. :)

The rod/reel monkey is far worse than the bait monkey! Watch out!

That Curado is a great reel and will work great for years to come with proper
maintenance.

Enjoy the new set-up.

Brad Coovert
2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
http://www.greenfieldbassmasters.com

Brad Coovert
August 23rd, 2004, 09:44 PM
>Of course, now that I have one, I need MORE. :)

The rod/reel monkey is far worse than the bait monkey! Watch out!

That Curado is a great reel and will work great for years to come with proper
maintenance.

Enjoy the new set-up.

Brad Coovert
2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
http://www.greenfieldbassmasters.com

go-bassn
August 27th, 2004, 11:12 PM
It's kind of funny, but in my circles when I show up with one rod/bait on my
deck the guys say they're "in trouble".

Don't worry though, I'll have at least 10 combos & lots of backups on deck
for the NWC...

Warren