PDA

View Full Version : NWC - Bait substitutes?

Jim Laumann
August 24th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Steve

I know bait - ie crawlers is a no-no, but what are the rules on the
use of bait substitutes - for example any of the stuff made by Berkley
or similar? Are these allowable or not?

Jim

go-bassn
August 24th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Artificial lures only Jim, with the exception of pork rind.

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com

"Jim Laumann" > wrote in message
> Steve
>
> I know bait - ie crawlers is a no-no, but what are the rules on the
> use of bait substitutes - for example any of the stuff made by Berkley
> or similar? Are these allowable or not?
>
> Jim

go-bassn
August 24th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Artificial lures only Jim, with the exception of pork rind.

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

"Jim Laumann" > wrote in message
> Steve
>
> I know bait - ie crawlers is a no-no, but what are the rules on the
> use of bait substitutes - for example any of the stuff made by Berkley
> or similar? Are these allowable or not?
>
> Jim

Fritz Nordengren
August 24th, 2004, 11:25 PM
Jim's question is valid: Berkley's "Gulp" is 100% biodegradable and
100% "natural ingredients".

So Steve, is Gulp an artificial bait and allowed? or is it banned?

go-bassn wrote:
> Artificial lures only Jim, with the exception of pork rind.
>
> Warren
> --
> http://www.warrenwolk.com/
> http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
> 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions
>

> "Jim Laumann" > wrote in message
>
>>Steve
>>
>>I know bait - ie crawlers is a no-no, but what are the rules on the
>>use of bait substitutes - for example any of the stuff made by Berkley
>>or similar? Are these allowable or not?
>>
>>Jim

RichZ
August 25th, 2004, 12:34 AM
Gulp is allowed in BASS and FLW, can't imagine ROFB banning it.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Jim Laumann
August 25th, 2004, 12:47 AM
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:25:22 GMT, Fritz Nordengren
> wrote:

>Jim's question is valid: Berkley's "Gulp" is 100% biodegradable and
>100% "natural ingredients".
>
>So Steve, is Gulp an artificial bait and allowed? or is it banned?

Fritz

Thanks for the backup. There are other brands of "bait substitutes" of
the same nature as Gulp - just not in "critter" shapes like Gulp.

This also brings to mind other stuff - ie.....

in 2002 we got samples of Smelly Jelly
in 2003, we got a jar of powder (Top Secret Amino Gel)

also - have heard mention of Mega Strike (Charles and Jerry in
another post), and then there are the Exude Plastics.

All this stuff is using some sort of chemical trickery to taste
more like the real thing to the fish. So where is the "line" going to
be drawn?

Jim

>go-bassn wrote:
>> Artificial lures only Jim, with the exception of pork rind.
>>
>> Warren
>> --
>> http://www.warrenwolk.com/
>> http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
>> 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions
>>

>> "Jim Laumann" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Steve
>>>
>>>I know bait - ie crawlers is a no-no, but what are the rules on the
>>>use of bait substitutes - for example any of the stuff made by Berkley
>>>or similar? Are these allowable or not?
>>>
>>>Jim

alwaysfishking
August 25th, 2004, 02:21 AM
I'd say yes you can use the gulp, It was never alive. And if anyone believes
that gulp is the secret bait for boom then god bless them, those fish don't
eat live bait never mind worms made to taste like it. :-)
"Fritz Nordengren" > wrote in message
> Jim's question is valid: Berkley's "Gulp" is 100% biodegradable and
> 100% "natural ingredients".
>
> So Steve, is Gulp an artificial bait and allowed? or is it banned?
>
> go-bassn wrote:
> > Artificial lures only Jim, with the exception of pork rind.
> >
> > Warren
> > --
> > http://www.warrenwolk.com/
> > http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
> > 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions
> >

> > "Jim Laumann" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Steve
> >>
> >>I know bait - ie crawlers is a no-no, but what are the rules on the
> >>use of bait substitutes - for example any of the stuff made by Berkley
> >>or similar? Are these allowable or not?
> >>
> >>Jim

alwaysfishking
August 25th, 2004, 02:21 AM
I'd say yes you can use the gulp, It was never alive. And if anyone believes
that gulp is the secret bait for boom then god bless them, those fish don't
eat live bait never mind worms made to taste like it. :-)
"Fritz Nordengren" > wrote in message
> Jim's question is valid: Berkley's "Gulp" is 100% biodegradable and
> 100% "natural ingredients".
>
> So Steve, is Gulp an artificial bait and allowed? or is it banned?
>
> go-bassn wrote:
> > Artificial lures only Jim, with the exception of pork rind.
> >
> > Warren
> > --
> > http://www.warrenwolk.com/
> > http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
> > 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions
> >

> > "Jim Laumann" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Steve
> >>
> >>I know bait - ie crawlers is a no-no, but what are the rules on the
> >>use of bait substitutes - for example any of the stuff made by Berkley
> >>or similar? Are these allowable or not?
> >>
> >>Jim

Rodney
August 25th, 2004, 02:37 AM
Jim Laumann wrote:

> All this stuff is using some sort of chemical trickery to taste
> more like the real thing to the fish. So where is the "line" going to
> be drawn?

The line was drawn way back when Ray Scott turned bass fishing into a
competition sport,, his "Sponsors" the lure manufacturers, drew the
line. (Uncle Josh) was one of the sponsors, so he got his pork past the
regulations)

Now in other species competitions live bait can be used, (except for fly
fishing) but not in BASS, nor those that followed, you must remember,
these tournaments started out with the manufacturers trying to out smart
the bass with their lures, they wanted this publicity to SELL MILLIONS
of lures, in the mean time, they brain washed a bunch of people into
thinking "real" sportsmen, don't use live bait, they did this to make
MEGA bucks from fishermen buying their lures,, you don't make that much
selling just hooks and weights, compared to lures (although I'm trying :-)

I'm sure to get flamed, brain washing works real well :-)

Of course Ya'll can have any rules you want in your tournament
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

Rodney
August 25th, 2004, 02:37 AM
Jim Laumann wrote:

> All this stuff is using some sort of chemical trickery to taste
> more like the real thing to the fish. So where is the "line" going to
> be drawn?

The line was drawn way back when Ray Scott turned bass fishing into a
competition sport,, his "Sponsors" the lure manufacturers, drew the
line. (Uncle Josh) was one of the sponsors, so he got his pork past the
regulations)

Now in other species competitions live bait can be used, (except for fly
fishing) but not in BASS, nor those that followed, you must remember,
these tournaments started out with the manufacturers trying to out smart
the bass with their lures, they wanted this publicity to SELL MILLIONS
of lures, in the mean time, they brain washed a bunch of people into
thinking "real" sportsmen, don't use live bait, they did this to make
MEGA bucks from fishermen buying their lures,, you don't make that much
selling just hooks and weights, compared to lures (although I'm trying :-)

I'm sure to get flamed, brain washing works real well :-)

Of course Ya'll can have any rules you want in your tournament
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Boomerang Fishing Pro. ,Stand Out Hooks ,Stand Out Lures,
Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, Decoy Activator
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

go-bassn
August 25th, 2004, 05:05 AM
I didn't say his question is invalid Fritz, I just answered it.

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

"Fritz Nordengren" > wrote in message
> Jim's question is valid: Berkley's "Gulp" is 100% biodegradable and
> 100% "natural ingredients".
>
> So Steve, is Gulp an artificial bait and allowed? or is it banned?
>
> go-bassn wrote:
> > Artificial lures only Jim, with the exception of pork rind.
> >
> > Warren
> > --
> > http://www.warrenwolk.com/
> > http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
> > 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions
> >

> > "Jim Laumann" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Steve
> >>
> >>I know bait - ie crawlers is a no-no, but what are the rules on the
> >>use of bait substitutes - for example any of the stuff made by Berkley
> >>or similar? Are these allowable or not?
> >>
> >>Jim

go-bassn
August 25th, 2004, 05:05 AM
I didn't say his question is invalid Fritz, I just answered it.

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

"Fritz Nordengren" > wrote in message
> Jim's question is valid: Berkley's "Gulp" is 100% biodegradable and
> 100% "natural ingredients".
>
> So Steve, is Gulp an artificial bait and allowed? or is it banned?
>
> go-bassn wrote:
> > Artificial lures only Jim, with the exception of pork rind.
> >
> > Warren
> > --
> > http://www.warrenwolk.com/
> > http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
> > 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions
> >

> > "Jim Laumann" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Steve
> >>
> >>I know bait - ie crawlers is a no-no, but what are the rules on the
> >>use of bait substitutes - for example any of the stuff made by Berkley
> >>or similar? Are these allowable or not?
> >>
> >>Jim

go-bassn
August 25th, 2004, 05:08 AM
Jim, you're talking about about scents here, of course they're allowed.
They are added to artificial lures, are they not?

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

"Jim Laumann" > wrote in message
> Steve
>
> I know bait - ie crawlers is a no-no, but what are the rules on the
> use of bait substitutes - for example any of the stuff made by Berkley
> or similar? Are these allowable or not?
>
> Jim

go-bassn
August 25th, 2004, 05:08 AM
Jim, you're talking about about scents here, of course they're allowed.
They are added to artificial lures, are they not?

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

"Jim Laumann" > wrote in message
> Steve
>
> I know bait - ie crawlers is a no-no, but what are the rules on the
> use of bait substitutes - for example any of the stuff made by Berkley
> or similar? Are these allowable or not?
>
> Jim

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
August 25th, 2004, 03:33 PM
"Jim Laumann" > wrote in message
> Steve
>
> I know bait - ie crawlers is a no-no, but what are the rules on the
> use of bait substitutes - for example any of the stuff made by Berkley
> or similar? Are these allowable or not?
>
> Jim

Sorry for the delay in answering my e-mail. I've been out of the country on
a caribou hunt and it's been hell trying to catch up. So, here's the
answer,

Bait substitutes are fine by me. As long as it was never alive in the first
place (i.e. dehydrated minnows and the like), it's legal in the NWC. Gulp
products, amino acids, scents, jellies and similar products will be allowed.
The only exception I can think of to the "Never been alive" rule is pork.

Does this help?
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
August 25th, 2004, 03:33 PM
"Jim Laumann" > wrote in message
> Steve
>
> I know bait - ie crawlers is a no-no, but what are the rules on the
> use of bait substitutes - for example any of the stuff made by Berkley
> or similar? Are these allowable or not?
>
> Jim

Sorry for the delay in answering my e-mail. I've been out of the country on
a caribou hunt and it's been hell trying to catch up. So, here's the
answer,

Bait substitutes are fine by me. As long as it was never alive in the first
place (i.e. dehydrated minnows and the like), it's legal in the NWC. Gulp
products, amino acids, scents, jellies and similar products will be allowed.
The only exception I can think of to the "Never been alive" rule is pork.

Does this help?
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Jim Laumann
August 26th, 2004, 04:07 AM
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:08:26 -0400, "go-bassn" >
wrote:

>Jim, you're talking about about scents here, of course they're allowed.
>They are added to artificial lures, are they not?
>
>Warren

Warren

Agreed - I changed the topic to scents, but to make a point. My point
was asking about bait substitutes - ie the Berkly stuff - which to me
is not live bait (any more) - even if it had components which once
were.

So what differance is there in some thing that is man made - ie a Gulp
worm - something that tastes (we think) like the real thing, vs a man
made worm made from plastic that smells (we think) like the real
thing?

It seemed to me at the time that there was some very fine spliting of
hairs going on. And now its a moot point, as Steve issued a ruling,
which is what I wanted.

Jim