PDA

View Full Version : VA unfriendly to non-boaters?

Christopher P. Cericola
August 24th, 2004, 11:16 PM
So far I've found two local lakes within a half an hour both of which have a
no bank fishing regulation. One, for sure, offers a pier to fish off of
that is more geared towards little kids wanting to fish for blue gills. I'm
going to try to find out what the other lake has available, if
anything..renting a boat is not an option because I'm only gonna have an
hour, maybe two.. Ah well. :(

Christopher

Bob La Londe
August 25th, 2004, 02:30 AM
Posting of banks and restriction of access is directly related to the amount
of trash left behind by bank fishermen. Property owners complain. LEOs
complain. Its sad, but 9/11 was used an excuse locally to close several
prime bank fishing areas near where I live. When I talked with Bureau of
Reclamation Officials on the QT they told me they welcomed and excuse to
close those areas becasue of all the trash left behind from anglers and
partying teenagers alike.

I learned as a little guy to always leave an area cleaner than I found it,
but the simple fact is if people all packed out there own trash I never
would have had to learn that.

Another option for you might be to see if there are some private docks that
you might be able to get permission to fish off of. Maybe offer to help
with some maintenance and offer to share your catch or throw them all back
if the dock owner prefers.

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing

"Christopher P. Cericola" > wrote in message
groups.com...
> So far I've found two local lakes within a half an hour both of which have
> no bank fishing regulation. One, for sure, offers a pier to fish off of
> that is more geared towards little kids wanting to fish for blue gills.
I'm
> going to try to find out what the other lake has available, if
> anything..renting a boat is not an option because I'm only gonna have an
> hour, maybe two.. Ah well. :(
>
> Christopher

Bob La Londe
August 25th, 2004, 02:30 AM
Posting of banks and restriction of access is directly related to the amount
of trash left behind by bank fishermen. Property owners complain. LEOs
complain. Its sad, but 9/11 was used an excuse locally to close several
prime bank fishing areas near where I live. When I talked with Bureau of
Reclamation Officials on the QT they told me they welcomed and excuse to
close those areas becasue of all the trash left behind from anglers and
partying teenagers alike.

I learned as a little guy to always leave an area cleaner than I found it,
but the simple fact is if people all packed out there own trash I never
would have had to learn that.

Another option for you might be to see if there are some private docks that
you might be able to get permission to fish off of. Maybe offer to help
with some maintenance and offer to share your catch or throw them all back
if the dock owner prefers.

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing
** Public Fishing and Boating Forums
** www.YumaBassMan.com

"Christopher P. Cericola" > wrote in message
groups.com...
> So far I've found two local lakes within a half an hour both of which have
> no bank fishing regulation. One, for sure, offers a pier to fish off of
> that is more geared towards little kids wanting to fish for blue gills.
I'm
> going to try to find out what the other lake has available, if
> anything..renting a boat is not an option because I'm only gonna have an
> hour, maybe two.. Ah well. :(
>
> Christopher

dvito
August 25th, 2004, 04:36 AM
There's a really nice resivior near my house that is a no fish lake. They
used to sell season passes for it but since 9/11 they pretty much shut down
any resivior to water activities.

I drive by the back end several times a day and see people fishing in this
lake from an easy access area. I stopped to talk to one of these dudes and
he just shrugged his shoulders and said he ignores all the signs posted
around him.

I stopped again to talk to another guy dropping his line in the water and he
said that no one ever bothered him about fishing here. I never see any
police on this road so I guess they either ignore it or are oblivious to it.
I find the latter hard to believe.

Anyway, I thought I had a point when I started typing but I guess not.:-|

Good luck finding a fishing hole Chris.

Dave V

[...]

Marty
August 25th, 2004, 06:10 AM
"Christopher P. Cericola" > wrote in message
groups.com...
> So far I've found two local lakes within a half an hour both of which have
> no bank fishing regulation. One, for sure, offers a pier to fish off of
> that is more geared towards little kids wanting to fish for blue gills.
I'm
> going to try to find out what the other lake has available, if
> anything..renting a boat is not an option because I'm only gonna have an
> hour, maybe two.. Ah well. :(

Some of the replies have mentioned trash as a probable reason. Do you, in
fact, know if this is the reason, or if it is something else? I haven't seen
this in western NY; sure there are many areas you can't fish because so much
of it is private property, but I'm unaware of any lakes with a general
no-bank-fishing restriction. I definitely wouldn't take kindly to it.

Marty
August 25th, 2004, 06:10 AM
"Christopher P. Cericola" > wrote in message
groups.com...
> So far I've found two local lakes within a half an hour both of which have
> no bank fishing regulation. One, for sure, offers a pier to fish off of
> that is more geared towards little kids wanting to fish for blue gills.
I'm
> going to try to find out what the other lake has available, if
> anything..renting a boat is not an option because I'm only gonna have an
> hour, maybe two.. Ah well. :(

Some of the replies have mentioned trash as a probable reason. Do you, in
fact, know if this is the reason, or if it is something else? I haven't seen
this in western NY; sure there are many areas you can't fish because so much
of it is private property, but I'm unaware of any lakes with a general
no-bank-fishing restriction. I definitely wouldn't take kindly to it.

alwaysfishking
August 25th, 2004, 01:15 PM
I wish we had a no bank fishing reg on my lakes here, everytime a nice
weekend comes along or "Tourist season" in general, there is a ton of
garbage thrown in the lake, even with a garbage can put in at the small lake
people still throw stuff in the water, Like the can might bite them or
something

"Marty" > wrote in message

> "Christopher P. Cericola" > wrote in message
> groups.com...
> > So far I've found two local lakes within a half an hour both of which
have
> > no bank fishing regulation. One, for sure, offers a pier to fish off of
> > that is more geared towards little kids wanting to fish for blue gills.
> I'm
> > going to try to find out what the other lake has available, if
> > anything..renting a boat is not an option because I'm only gonna have an
> > hour, maybe two.. Ah well. :(
>
> Some of the replies have mentioned trash as a probable reason. Do you, in
> fact, know if this is the reason, or if it is something else? I haven't
seen
> this in western NY; sure there are many areas you can't fish because so
much
> of it is private property, but I'm unaware of any lakes with a general
> no-bank-fishing restriction. I definitely wouldn't take kindly to it.

Christopher P. Cericola
August 25th, 2004, 02:16 PM
"Marty" > wrote in message
< Some of the replies have mentioned trash as a probable reason. Do you, in
fact, know if this is the reason, or if it is something else? I haven't seen
this in western NY; sure there are many areas you can't fish because so much
of it is private property, but I'm unaware of any lakes with a general
no-bank-fishing restriction. I definitely wouldn't take kindly to it. >

I have no idea of the reason but it applies to almost every lake in the
area. Some have "acceptable" fishing areas near the boat launch(which, is a
terrible spot) or have piers you can use which are useless. It's rather
disappointing as I've got limited time.

Christopher

Christopher P. Cericola
August 25th, 2004, 02:16 PM
"Marty" > wrote in message
< Some of the replies have mentioned trash as a probable reason. Do you, in
fact, know if this is the reason, or if it is something else? I haven't seen
this in western NY; sure there are many areas you can't fish because so much
of it is private property, but I'm unaware of any lakes with a general
no-bank-fishing restriction. I definitely wouldn't take kindly to it. >

I have no idea of the reason but it applies to almost every lake in the
area. Some have "acceptable" fishing areas near the boat launch(which, is a
terrible spot) or have piers you can use which are useless. It's rather
disappointing as I've got limited time.

Christopher

Christopher P. Cericola
August 25th, 2004, 02:18 PM
"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
< I learned as a little guy to always leave an area cleaner than I found it,
but the simple fact is if people all packed out there own trash I never
would have had to learn that. >

I always do that myself. I try to make sure it's in better shape then when
I left it.

< Another option for you might be to see if there are some private docks
that you might be able to get permission to fish off of. Maybe offer to
help with some maintenance and offer to share your catch or throw them all
back if the dock owner prefers. >

Not enough time available to investiage this. :(

I would ignore the postings but the parks here are loaded with DNR people
who check licenses as soon as you even walk on the land. If you get near a
bank, they're on you like hounds. They're just following orders and they
have no power to disobey the orders.

[...]

Chris Rennert
August 25th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Growing up in San Diego (though I could have fished the Ocean for free) I
really hated how you could only fish the lakes at certain times of time and
only certain days a week. The thought of a lake being gated (Reservoir)
just blew my mind. So when I moved to Wisconsin and 2 minutes away from
Lake Winnebago and miles upon miles of shoreline accessible from shore, I
was in heaven.
I don't know if (even though I have a boat now) I could live in a place
again where I couldn't get out of work and go to the lake for a couple
hours. I am sorry you are in that situation Chris.

Chris
"Christopher P. Cericola" > wrote in message
groups.com...
> So far I've found two local lakes within a half an hour both of which have
> no bank fishing regulation. One, for sure, offers a pier to fish off of
> that is more geared towards little kids wanting to fish for blue gills.
I'm
> going to try to find out what the other lake has available, if
> anything..renting a boat is not an option because I'm only gonna have an
> hour, maybe two.. Ah well. :(
>
> Christopher

Chris Rennert
August 25th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Growing up in San Diego (though I could have fished the Ocean for free) I
really hated how you could only fish the lakes at certain times of time and
only certain days a week. The thought of a lake being gated (Reservoir)
just blew my mind. So when I moved to Wisconsin and 2 minutes away from
Lake Winnebago and miles upon miles of shoreline accessible from shore, I
was in heaven.
I don't know if (even though I have a boat now) I could live in a place
again where I couldn't get out of work and go to the lake for a couple
hours. I am sorry you are in that situation Chris.

Chris
"Christopher P. Cericola" > wrote in message
groups.com...
> So far I've found two local lakes within a half an hour both of which have
> no bank fishing regulation. One, for sure, offers a pier to fish off of
> that is more geared towards little kids wanting to fish for blue gills.
I'm
> going to try to find out what the other lake has available, if
> anything..renting a boat is not an option because I'm only gonna have an
> hour, maybe two.. Ah well. :(
>
> Christopher

SimRacer
August 25th, 2004, 04:56 PM
"Christopher P. Cericola" > wrote in message
roups.com...

> "Marty" > wrote in message
> < Some of the replies have mentioned trash as a probable reason. Do you,
in
> fact, know if this is the reason, or if it is something else? I haven't
seen
> this in western NY; sure there are many areas you can't fish because so
much
> of it is private property, but I'm unaware of any lakes with a general
> no-bank-fishing restriction. I definitely wouldn't take kindly to it. >
>
> I have no idea of the reason but it applies to almost every lake in the
> area. Some have "acceptable" fishing areas near the boat launch(which, is
> terrible spot) or have piers you can use which are useless. It's rather
> disappointing as I've got limited time.
>
> Christopher

I fish a lake like this near my home, it is a nuclear plant cooling lake.
The only real places to bank fish it are at a public park where they've put
up a couple of nice piers, and the only two boat ramps on the lake. This is
so because Progress Energy owns all the land abutting the lake and pretty
much no one can get to any other bank areas to use/fish from.

My point to this is there are always someone fishing around these boat ramp
areas and doing ok while doing it. One of them is even a "point" that has a
submerged road bed on one side and a submerged railroad bed on the other
side. So unless you can secure a boat (and I totally understand your
frustration) and you really want to fish those waters, I'd bite the bullet
and give the boat launches a try.

SimRacer
August 25th, 2004, 04:56 PM
"Christopher P. Cericola" > wrote in message
roups.com...

> "Marty" > wrote in message
> < Some of the replies have mentioned trash as a probable reason. Do you,
in
> fact, know if this is the reason, or if it is something else? I haven't
seen
> this in western NY; sure there are many areas you can't fish because so
much
> of it is private property, but I'm unaware of any lakes with a general
> no-bank-fishing restriction. I definitely wouldn't take kindly to it. >
>
> I have no idea of the reason but it applies to almost every lake in the
> area. Some have "acceptable" fishing areas near the boat launch(which, is
> terrible spot) or have piers you can use which are useless. It's rather
> disappointing as I've got limited time.
>
> Christopher

I fish a lake like this near my home, it is a nuclear plant cooling lake.
The only real places to bank fish it are at a public park where they've put
up a couple of nice piers, and the only two boat ramps on the lake. This is
so because Progress Energy owns all the land abutting the lake and pretty
much no one can get to any other bank areas to use/fish from.

My point to this is there are always someone fishing around these boat ramp
areas and doing ok while doing it. One of them is even a "point" that has a
submerged road bed on one side and a submerged railroad bed on the other
side. So unless you can secure a boat (and I totally understand your
frustration) and you really want to fish those waters, I'd bite the bullet
and give the boat launches a try.

Marty
August 26th, 2004, 06:10 AM
"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message

> I wish we had a no bank fishing reg on my lakes here, everytime a nice
> weekend comes along or "Tourist season" in general, there is a ton of
> garbage thrown in the lake, even with a garbage can put in at the small
lake
> people still throw stuff in the water, Like the can might bite them or
> something

As a boatless shore rat, I'm glad YOU'RE not making the rules!!! :-)

Marty
August 26th, 2004, 06:10 AM
"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message

> I wish we had a no bank fishing reg on my lakes here, everytime a nice
> weekend comes along or "Tourist season" in general, there is a ton of
> garbage thrown in the lake, even with a garbage can put in at the small
lake
> people still throw stuff in the water, Like the can might bite them or
> something

As a boatless shore rat, I'm glad YOU'RE not making the rules!!! :-)

G. M. Zimmermann
August 26th, 2004, 09:20 AM
>I wish we had a no bank fishing reg on my lakes here, everytime a nice
>weekend comes along or "Tourist season" in general, there is a ton of
>garbage thrown in the lake, even with a garbage can put in at the small lake
>people still throw stuff in the water, Like the can might bite them or
>something

I know what you mean. Here in my neck of the woods there is an unusual
phenominon. Some lakes are popular with the "slob crowd" and are littered with
all manner of trash and debris, while other lakes, even if heavily used, are
really pretty clean. I have my own theories as to why this is, but it never
fails. There are lakes (and parks, etc.) that the people who use it treat it
like a dump, and those which are used by people who actually care what the
place looks like and kep it clean.

-Zimmy

G. M. Zimmermann
August 26th, 2004, 09:20 AM
>I wish we had a no bank fishing reg on my lakes here, everytime a nice
>weekend comes along or "Tourist season" in general, there is a ton of
>garbage thrown in the lake, even with a garbage can put in at the small lake
>people still throw stuff in the water, Like the can might bite them or
>something

I know what you mean. Here in my neck of the woods there is an unusual
phenominon. Some lakes are popular with the "slob crowd" and are littered with
all manner of trash and debris, while other lakes, even if heavily used, are
really pretty clean. I have my own theories as to why this is, but it never
fails. There are lakes (and parks, etc.) that the people who use it treat it
like a dump, and those which are used by people who actually care what the
place looks like and kep it clean.

-Zimmy

Huck Palmatier
August 26th, 2004, 09:45 AM
....most of the impoundments here in SEVa are reservoirs, with limited access
and outboard restrictions....if you get down this way again, let me know and
I'll get you "hooked up". Where exactly did you go?
said Huck

Christopher P. Cericola
August 26th, 2004, 01:39 PM
I'm in Williamsburg. I'm by Waller's Mill and not too far from
Chickan...whatever it's name is. There's another one I found nearby but
according to the DNR website - no bank fishing on any of them. Hopefully, I
won't come down this way again..it's beautiful country with ****ty law and
almost no access to Yuengling beer.

Christopher

"Huck Palmatier" > wrote in message
> ...most of the impoundments here in SEVa are reservoirs, with limited
access
> and outboard restrictions....if you get down this way again, let me know
and
> I'll get you "hooked up". Where exactly did you go?
> said Huck

Lure builder
August 27th, 2004, 01:17 AM
Some signs have no legal effect or consequences. Fish early in the morn or at
night and there is no problem. Nobody is around to enforce them. Been there and
done it.

Lure builder
August 27th, 2004, 01:17 AM
Some signs have no legal effect or consequences. Fish early in the morn or at
night and there is no problem. Nobody is around to enforce them. Been there and
done it.

John C. French
August 27th, 2004, 02:08 AM
Oh, no. This guy just can't get enough. I can't imagine that anyone ever
doubted he was a TROLL!! Let him have it fellas.....

John C. French

"Lure builder" > wrote in message
> Some signs have no legal effect or consequences. Fish early in the morn or
at
> night and there is no problem. Nobody is around to enforce them. Been
there and
> done it.

John C. French
August 27th, 2004, 02:08 AM
Oh, no. This guy just can't get enough. I can't imagine that anyone ever
doubted he was a TROLL!! Let him have it fellas.....

John C. French

"Lure builder" > wrote in message
> Some signs have no legal effect or consequences. Fish early in the morn or
at
> night and there is no problem. Nobody is around to enforce them. Been
there and
> done it.

Huck Palmatier
August 27th, 2004, 08:52 AM
....there are dozens of places within 60 min of where you're at, some "world
class" from James, Chick and Appomattox Rivers, Lakes Anna & Chesdin, to
Back Bay and the Arblemarle feeder rivers in NC....not to mention all of the
reservoirs...Yuengling is the house brand down here in Norfolk