PDA

View Full Version : EZ Loader Trailer Hubs

Craig Davis
August 26th, 2004, 04:08 AM
I recently purchased a used boat on a 2000 EZ Loader single axel trailer.
When I went to repack the wheel bearings I found that it had a grease
fitting in the end of the spindle with an outlet in the center of the
spindle. I had assumed it had bearing buddies when I bought it. There was
a membrane over the inner portion of the end of the dust cap. It appeared
to have been solid originally, i.e. no access to the grease fitting without
removing the dust cap, but the previous owner probably punctured a hole in
it to gain access. However, if my assumptions are correct what is the
purpose for the membrane? When I broke the hub down it was full of water
with very little grease and very rough bearings. The paint seal over the
dust cap had never been broken so the bearing had never been repacked. I
bought the boat from an individual through a dealership. At my request the
salesman pumped some grease into the fittings before I left. If he had not
I would have probably have lost a wheel on the way home. Question for
anybody who has experience with this type system: How good is this system
at keeping water out of the bearings if kept greased? How should I maintain
it? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)
August 26th, 2004, 04:23 AM
http://www.bassboatcentral.com/sttipsbb.htm

"Craig Davis" > wrote in message
> I recently purchased a used boat on a 2000 EZ Loader single axel trailer.
> When I went to repack the wheel bearings I found that it had a grease
> fitting in the end of the spindle with an outlet in the center of the
> spindle. I had assumed it had bearing buddies when I bought it. There
was
> a membrane over the inner portion of the end of the dust cap. It appeared
> to have been solid originally, i.e. no access to the grease fitting
without
> removing the dust cap, but the previous owner probably punctured a hole in
> it to gain access. However, if my assumptions are correct what is the
> purpose for the membrane? When I broke the hub down it was full of water
> with very little grease and very rough bearings. The paint seal over the
> dust cap had never been broken so the bearing had never been repacked. I
> bought the boat from an individual through a dealership. At my request
the
> salesman pumped some grease into the fittings before I left. If he had
not
> I would have probably have lost a wheel on the way home. Question for
> anybody who has experience with this type system: How good is this system
> at keeping water out of the bearings if kept greased? How should I
maintain
> it? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)
August 26th, 2004, 04:23 AM
http://www.bassboatcentral.com/sttipsbb.htm

"Craig Davis" > wrote in message
> I recently purchased a used boat on a 2000 EZ Loader single axel trailer.
> When I went to repack the wheel bearings I found that it had a grease
> fitting in the end of the spindle with an outlet in the center of the
> spindle. I had assumed it had bearing buddies when I bought it. There
was
> a membrane over the inner portion of the end of the dust cap. It appeared
> to have been solid originally, i.e. no access to the grease fitting
without
> removing the dust cap, but the previous owner probably punctured a hole in
> it to gain access. However, if my assumptions are correct what is the
> purpose for the membrane? When I broke the hub down it was full of water
> with very little grease and very rough bearings. The paint seal over the
> dust cap had never been broken so the bearing had never been repacked. I
> bought the boat from an individual through a dealership. At my request
the
> salesman pumped some grease into the fittings before I left. If he had
not
> I would have probably have lost a wheel on the way home. Question for
> anybody who has experience with this type system: How good is this system
> at keeping water out of the bearings if kept greased? How should I
maintain
> it? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Brad Coovert
August 26th, 2004, 04:32 AM
That sounds like it is a Spindle Lube spindle.

http://www.championtrailers.com/spindles_n_parts/pages/spin_lub_0342.html

It is designed so that you can remove all the old grease by pumping in new
grease, just like a ball joint, etc. New grease goes in, old grease goes out.
I have never used these, but I assume that the design requires more greasing
than bearing buddy systems.

The rubber plug was solid at one time. The owner probably poked it out so he
could grease the bearings without taking off the dust cap.

I would suspect that either the seals were bad or the previous owner did not
grease often and water seeping in through the outlet hole ruined the grease.
Just a guess.

Brad Coovert
2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
http://www.greenfieldbassmasters.com

Craig
August 26th, 2004, 02:36 PM
> http://www.championtrailers.com/spindles_n_parts/pages/spin_lub_0342.html

This looks like the one I have.

> The rubber plug was solid at one time. The owner probably poked it out so he
> could grease the bearings without taking off the dust cap.

I agree - but what is the purpose of the rubber plug?

> I would suspect that either the seals were bad or the previous owner did not
> grease often and water seeping in through the outlet hole ruined the grease.
> Just a guess.

The seals appeared to be good. I suspect he did not grease often and
that water seeped in through the holes in the rubberr plug.

Craig
August 26th, 2004, 02:36 PM
> http://www.championtrailers.com/spindles_n_parts/pages/spin_lub_0342.html

This looks like the one I have.

> The rubber plug was solid at one time. The owner probably poked it out so he
> could grease the bearings without taking off the dust cap.

I agree - but what is the purpose of the rubber plug?

> I would suspect that either the seals were bad or the previous owner did not
> grease often and water seeping in through the outlet hole ruined the grease.
> Just a guess.

The seals appeared to be good. I suspect he did not grease often and
that water seeped in through the holes in the rubberr plug.

MMccoy01
August 27th, 2004, 02:44 AM
I agree - but what is the purpose of the rubber plug?

The purpose of the rubber plug is so you can get a grease gun on the fitting.
You pull the plug out, stick the grease gun on the fitting and pump in new
grease as the old grease is forced out the hole where the plug was. When clean
grease starts coming out, then all the old grease has been flushed out. If your
plugs are split or torn, then you need to replace them to keep water out and to
prevent grease from slinging all over your wheels when you go down the road.
Mark McCoy<br>
McCoy's Market Bumpus Mills, Tennessee<br>
http://www.mccoysmarket.com

MMccoy01
August 27th, 2004, 02:44 AM