PDA

View Full Version : Hey Harry!!!

RichZ
November 21st, 2003, 11:40 PM
How do you feel about Sunday in rondout?

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

RichZ
November 21st, 2003, 11:56 PM
This offer isn't limited to Harry by any means. I kind of owe him a trip
there, but if he isn't able, anyone who wants the seat should shout!

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Philip Goodwin
November 22nd, 2003, 03:53 AM
"RichZ" > wrote in message
> This offer isn't limited to Harry by any means. I kind of owe him a trip
> there, but if he isn't able, anyone who wants the seat should shout!
>
> RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing

Hey Rich,
I had such a miserable time last week-end that I'd be willing to give you
another chance on Sunday if need be. I promise I'll bring my own drop-shot
stuff this time also (even if it is just split shots) so as not to decimate
your supply any further. If Harry or anyone else can't make it and you need
some company give me a shout.

Phil

RichZ
November 22nd, 2003, 04:46 PM
OK, you're on, Phil. See you at 6:30AM, same place as last week.

It's going to have to be awfully good to outdo the fishing I had to leave
this morning in Zoar! Went out at about 7, and had to be back home by 10:30
so I could get a few errands done before the Husky game at noon. Man, I
wish I had more time to fish today. It might well have been the best
fishing day of the year!

Pulled up on my standard late season LM point and threw a 3/4 oz. jig with
a pork frog on it. Missed a fish on my 2nd or 3rd cast. Moved to the
crappie brush piles just inside the cove. I guess I was hurrying because I
had so little time to fish. Not a single bite in the crappie spot. Turned
around and went back to the bass point. We're talking 75 feet away, so it's
not like I was running all over the place. Caught one about 2 pounds out of
about 35 feet of water. Hung up and broke that jig off. Had another rod
rigged with a 5/8 oz jig with a Lunker City Piggy Back on it, so I grabbed
that. A few casts later I got one about 4-1/2. The action pretty much
stayed that way for the 3-1/2 hours I was out there. Ended up catching 14
LM from about 1-1/2 pounds to the 4-1/2 I just mentioned. Had 6 in the
3-1/2 to 4 range. All the fish came on big living rubber jigs (5/8 to 1 oz)
with either a pork frog or a piggy back trailer. All came from more than 15
feet of water. The deepest was about 40. Also caught a carp about 25
pounds, hooked in the mouth on the jig & pig.

I hope the Huskies do as well today as I was doing when I cashed out to
come home and watch the game.

I'll put up some pictures after the game.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

go-bassn
November 22nd, 2003, 07:24 PM
Does this guy EVER get skunked?

Warren ;-)

"RichZ" > wrote in message
> OK, you're on, Phil. See you at 6:30AM, same place as last week.
>
> It's going to have to be awfully good to outdo the fishing I had to leave
> this morning in Zoar! Went out at about 7, and had to be back home by
10:30
> so I could get a few errands done before the Husky game at noon. Man, I
> wish I had more time to fish today. It might well have been the best
> fishing day of the year!
>
> Pulled up on my standard late season LM point and threw a 3/4 oz. jig with
> a pork frog on it. Missed a fish on my 2nd or 3rd cast. Moved to the
> crappie brush piles just inside the cove. I guess I was hurrying because I
> had so little time to fish. Not a single bite in the crappie spot. Turned
> around and went back to the bass point. We're talking 75 feet away, so
it's
> not like I was running all over the place. Caught one about 2 pounds out
of
> about 35 feet of water. Hung up and broke that jig off. Had another rod
> rigged with a 5/8 oz jig with a Lunker City Piggy Back on it, so I grabbed
> that. A few casts later I got one about 4-1/2. The action pretty much
> stayed that way for the 3-1/2 hours I was out there. Ended up catching 14
> LM from about 1-1/2 pounds to the 4-1/2 I just mentioned. Had 6 in the
> 3-1/2 to 4 range. All the fish came on big living rubber jigs (5/8 to 1
oz)
> with either a pork frog or a piggy back trailer. All came from more than
15
> feet of water. The deepest was about 40. Also caught a carp about 25
> pounds, hooked in the mouth on the jig & pig.
>
> I hope the Huskies do as well today as I was doing when I cashed out to
> come home and watch the game.
>
> I'll put up some pictures after the game.
>
> RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing

RichZ
November 22nd, 2003, 07:50 PM
Go-bassn wrote:
> Does this guy EVER get skunked?

Not this year. But I almost was last year on the Hudson with you. One lousy
fish saved my behind.

I was fishing alone this morning, so picture taking wasn't a prime
activity, but...

http://www.richz.com/fishing/images/zoar2.jpg
http://www.richz.com/fishing/images/zoar4.jpg
http://www.richz.com/fishing/images/zoar5.jpg
http://www.richz.com/fishing/images/zoar7.jpg
http://www.richz.com/fishing/images/zoar8.jpg
http://www.richz.com/fishing/images/zoar10.jpg

Eric Ryder
November 22nd, 2003, 07:50 PM
"RichZ" > wrote in message
> OK, you're on, Phil. See you at 6:30AM, same place as last week.
>
> It's going to have to be awfully good to outdo the fishing I had to leave
> this morning in Zoar! Went out at about 7, and had to be back home by
10:30
> so I could get a few errands done before the Husky game at noon. Man, I
> wish I had more time to fish today. It might well have been the best
> fishing day of the year!
>
> Pulled up on my standard late season LM point and threw a 3/4 oz. jig with
> a pork frog on it. Missed a fish on my 2nd or 3rd cast. Moved to the
> crappie brush piles just inside the cove. I guess I was hurrying because I
> had so little time to fish. Not a single bite in the crappie spot. Turned
> around and went back to the bass point. We're talking 75 feet away, so
it's
> not like I was running all over the place. Caught one about 2 pounds out
of
> about 35 feet of water. Hung up and broke that jig off. Had another rod
> rigged with a 5/8 oz jig with a Lunker City Piggy Back on it, so I grabbed
> that. A few casts later I got one about 4-1/2. The action pretty much
> stayed that way for the 3-1/2 hours I was out there. Ended up catching 14
> LM from about 1-1/2 pounds to the 4-1/2 I just mentioned. Had 6 in the
> 3-1/2 to 4 range. All the fish came on big living rubber jigs (5/8 to 1
oz)
> with either a pork frog or a piggy back trailer. All came from more than
15
> feet of water. The deepest was about 40. Also caught a carp about 25
> pounds, hooked in the mouth on the jig & pig.
>
> I hope the Huskies do as well today as I was doing when I cashed out to
> come home and watch the game.
>
> I'll put up some pictures after the game.
>
> RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing

Bit of the Midas Touch there Rich!

RichZ
November 22nd, 2003, 07:54 PM
RichZ wrote:
> Not this year.

Actually, now that I think about it, I was pretty much skunked a few weeks
back on squantz. I think I had 2 shorts and the one big fish that ate the
rock bass that had eaten my bait -- but even if I had gotten that one in
the boat, I wouldn't have counted it, because it was an accident, pure and
simple.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Philip Goodwin
November 22nd, 2003, 10:12 PM
"RichZ" > wrote in message
> OK, you're on, Phil. See you at 6:30AM, same place as last week.

Terrific Rich, I'll see you there.

Phil

Philip Goodwin
November 22nd, 2003, 10:15 PM
"RichZ" > wrote in message
> I was fishing alone this morning, so picture taking wasn't a prime
> activity, but...
>
> http://www.richz.com/fishing/images/zoar2.jpg
> http://www.richz.com/fishing/images/zoar4.jpg
> http://www.richz.com/fishing/images/zoar5.jpg
> http://www.richz.com/fishing/images/zoar7.jpg
> http://www.richz.com/fishing/images/zoar8.jpg
> http://www.richz.com/fishing/images/zoar10.jpg

Man Rich those are some primo fish. Makes me wish we were going to Zoar
tomorrow instead of the Hudson.

Phil

Gone Angling
November 22nd, 2003, 10:26 PM
With all due respect I think Mr. Richz should adhere to being a mentor. To go
out and catch lots of fish and report on the same is a little disheartning to
the average angler. I was out today fishing but will not file a report at this
time.

RichZ
November 22nd, 2003, 11:07 PM
You know, I never post fishing reports without including info on how and
where the fish were caught. Often I go to great lengths makes it clear what
I was doing. This post showed the value of fishing deep with heavy jigs.
It's something almost no-one does any more. The bass fishing public seems
to have fallen in love with the idea that a jig is a target lure to be
flipped to shoreline cover, and nothing else. To me, it's always been a
great tool for feeling my way around deep breaks and finding the spots the
fish live. I know there are guys here who actually soak that stuff up and
try to learn from it. Then there are idiots like you who wouldn't know a
pertinent fact if it came up and slapped you upside the head.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Gone Angling
November 23rd, 2003, 02:06 AM
I don't fish with jigs and would have to admit that i don't understand some of
your techniques and i think you miss understood my post. I was giving you a
compliment by stating where i thought you stood within the group.

Philip Goodwin
November 23rd, 2003, 02:18 AM
"Gone Angling" > wrote in message
> With all due respect I think Mr. Richz should adhere to being a mentor. To
go
> out and catch lots of fish and report on the same is a little disheartning
> the average angler. I was out today fishing but will not file a report at
this
> time.

I am somewhat new to the group so I don't know if you are really serious
with this post. If you are I can't disagree more. I would like to think that
the purpose of this newsgroup is to give all of us a forum to post just that
kind of information in hopes of making us all better fishermen. I fished
with Rich this past Sunday and I can say from first hand experience that
Rich does not brag about his fishing skills or come across as anything more
than just a guy who loves to fish and enjoys talking about fishing with
anyone who wants to listen. I know for a fact that his advice on drop-shot
fishing will serve me well in the future. On that Sunday he probably out
fished me 2 to 1 but that did not make the outing any less enjoyable for me.
To the contrary in made me want to learn more so I could do better next
time. So as far as I am concerned I hope that Rich and anyone else who has
knowledge to share with us continues to do so.

Phil

Gone Angling
November 23rd, 2003, 03:43 AM
To be quite frank i don't understand these drop shot and jig techniques and how
they apply to my fishing situation. I was fishing today and the temp was 5
degees C with a stong wind. Nobody else was out save a few cold weather bird
watchers. I managed to find a small bay with my back to my wind. I landed a
nice pike on a minnow plug but there still is the possiblity of tying into a LM
and the season is open to until Nov 30. The latitude where i'm fishing is a
little more northerly than yours bud. If i feel like fishing i just roll up my
sleeves and do just that. I told him how he should interpret my post.

Philip Goodwin
November 23rd, 2003, 04:05 AM
"Gone Angling" > wrote in message
> To be quite frank i don't understand these drop shot and jig techniques
and how
> they apply to my fishing situation. I was fishing today and the temp was 5
> degees C with a stong wind. Nobody else was out save a few cold weather
bird
> watchers. I managed to find a small bay with my back to my wind. I landed
> nice pike on a minnow plug but there still is the possiblity of tying into
a LM
> and the season is open to until Nov 30. The latitude where i'm fishing is
> little more northerly than yours bud. If i feel like fishing i just roll
up my
> sleeves and do just that. I told him how he should interpret my post.

I think I misunderstood your post somewhat and I apologize. As far as the
drop shot goes, I did not really think that it would apply to my situation
as we progressed into colder and colder weather but after trying it with
Rich I can say for sure that it is a very viable cold water technique. I
usually fish tubes or grubs at this time of year. I do catch fish but not
nearly the number that I caught on the drop shot rig that day. We are going
out again tomorrow and I am anxious to see if I have the same success.

Phil

RichZ
November 24th, 2003, 12:09 AM
Go-bassn wrote:
> Does this guy EVER get skunked?

You just HAD to go and put the onus on me, didn't you?

Phil and I fished Rondout today from about 6:45 to 1. Total catch -- Phil
had a crappie about a pound and a half, and I had a @#$)+( rockbass about
5" long. We weren't planning on leaving at one, but I figured being skunked
for 6 hours was better than being skunked for 8 or 9 hours.

So here I am driving home. I'm a minute from the house. When I decide not
to turn at 111. Instead I went another mile down 34 and dropped the boat in
Zoar. 5 minute run to the point. retied the jig from all the zebra mussel
frays at the Hudson, and it took me 2 casts to pick up where I left off
yesterday. Only a two pounder, but it washed the stink off. Then I put the
boat on the trailer and got home only about 15 or 20 minutes later than if
I'd brought that skunk home with me.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Thundercat
November 24th, 2003, 12:39 AM
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:09:29 EST, RichZ > wrote:

>Go-bassn wrote:
>> Does this guy EVER get skunked?
>>
>You just HAD to go and put the onus on me, didn't you?
>
>Phil and I fished Rondout today from about 6:45 to 1. Total catch -- Phil
>had a crappie about a pound and a half, and I had a @#$)+( rockbass about
>5" long. We weren't planning on leaving at one, but I figured being skunked
>for 6 hours was better than being skunked for 8 or 9 hours.
>
>So here I am driving home. I'm a minute from the house. When I decide not
>to turn at 111. Instead I went another mile down 34 and dropped the boat in
>Zoar. 5 minute run to the point. retied the jig from all the zebra mussel
>frays at the Hudson, and it took me 2 casts to pick up where I left off
>yesterday. Only a two pounder, but it washed the stink off. Then I put the
>boat on the trailer and got home only about 15 or 20 minutes later than if
>I'd brought that skunk home with me.
>
>RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing

I got out today also for a half day on a small local lake. However, I
still retain my skunk; unless you count a chunky perch on a drop shot
and a few pickerel on albino shad fin-s fish (largest pickerel went
3lbs). I was home in time to watch the my Steelers steal a win today.
I'm going to try and get out next Sunday on a slightly larger local
lake if my vehicle is out of the shop (again). I am dying to get out
with you again Mr. Z, my weekends have just been too insane for me to
get away for more than a couple of hours at a clip. I don't care if
the fishing is cold, slow, or wet. I am going to have to get out there
soon. I need the break...

Harry J. aka Thundercat (trying out Forte' Agent news reader)

J Buck
November 24th, 2003, 01:03 AM
<largest pickerel went 3lbs> Just out of curiosity, how long? Thanks.

Philip Goodwin
November 24th, 2003, 01:45 AM
"RichZ" > wrote in message
> Go-bassn wrote:
> > Does this guy EVER get skunked?
> >
> You just HAD to go and put the onus on me, didn't you?
>
> Phil and I fished Rondout today from about 6:45 to 1. Total catch -- Phil
> had a crappie about a pound and a half, and I had a @#$)+( rockbass about
> 5" long. We weren't planning on leaving at one, but I figured being
skunked
> for 6 hours was better than being skunked for 8 or 9 hours.
>
> So here I am driving home. I'm a minute from the house. When I decide not
> to turn at 111. Instead I went another mile down 34 and dropped the boat
in
> Zoar. 5 minute run to the point. retied the jig from all the zebra mussel
> frays at the Hudson, and it took me 2 casts to pick up where I left off
> yesterday. Only a two pounder, but it washed the stink off. Then I put the
> boat on the trailer and got home only about 15 or 20 minutes later than if
> I'd brought that skunk home with me.
>
> RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing

I would have bet the farm that you couldn't make it home with that stench in
the car Rich. Glad to hear that you remedied the situation.

Phil