PDA

View Full Version : tackle business

Gone Angling
November 21st, 2003, 11:40 PM
Would anybody care to comment on the trials, tribulations or rewards of
operating a tackle business (manufacturer, wholesaler, retailer, service
provider).

John Kerr
November 22nd, 2003, 01:20 AM
First decide if you would "love" the business, second, decide if you
have the resources to survive the start up. If the ansewer is yes, yes,
then your "love" of the business should produce the dedication
neccessary for success.
Location, location, location <g>
JK

Dan Krueger
November 22nd, 2003, 02:12 AM
Occasionally, total morons will return things that they destroy and expect a
full refund in the spirit of "customer satisfaction". Fortunately, these idiots
typically frequent Walmart and only visit "mom and pop" tackle shops for free
advice while pretending to be an interested buyer.

Gone Angling wrote:
> Would anybody care to comment on the trials, tribulations or rewards of
> operating a tackle business (manufacturer, wholesaler, retailer, service
> provider).

Bill Kiene
November 22nd, 2003, 06:53 AM
Hi GA,

You won't be "Gone Angling" any more if you start your own small business.

You will be "Gone Working" or "Gone Worrying" or "Gone Crazy" or "Gone
Broke"?

You need to have something very small or very big or very different to
survive in small business in the US today.

"Very small" - this mean something that is on your own property or out of a
building that is almost free to use, with no employees by your folks, wife
and kids.

"Very big" - this means at least 5 or more large high volume well placed
shops with a manager in each who probably has to make almost as much as you
do.

"Different" - this means a small, well placed "bait-n-tackle" or "fly shop"
that is on the way out of town to a good fisheries or near a good fisheries.
These little shops with gasoline, bait, tackle, marine supplies, fast
food/deli and a mini mart can be deadly. The big "box stores" can't compete
here.

In time there will be multiple box stores in all large cities. They will
sell most of the large ticket items, so you need to sell the terminal
tackle, bait, flies, ice, etc with good fishing information thrown in free.

Expenses like rent, utilities, yellow page adds, insurances, self employment
tax, Worker Comp Ins, wages, benefits, professional services, office
equipment, signs, office supplies and tenant improvements are all getting
higher every year in America and especially in California.

Some people are successful at anything they do, so the only thing that
matters is the fact that they are interested in it.

A tackle shop is good for one guy that love people and know the business and
another guy that is a retired "brain surgeon" with about 5 mil his wife
doesn't know about so he can afford to pour into a fun small business.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"Gone Angling" > wrote in message

> Would anybody care to comment on the trials, tribulations or rewards of
> operating a tackle business (manufacturer, wholesaler, retailer, service
> provider).

go-bassn
November 22nd, 2003, 07:22 PM
Obviously spoken from experience. Bill, if your shop is half as nice as
your website I'm sure you're one of the guys that does quite well in the
tackle business.

Warren

. ..

Bob Rickard
November 22nd, 2003, 08:03 PM
Sorry. No time to comment. Too busy.

--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com

"Gone Angling" > wrote in message
> Would anybody care to comment on the trials, tribulations or rewards of
> operating a tackle business (manufacturer, wholesaler, retailer, service
> provider).

MMccoy01
November 23rd, 2003, 03:43 AM
The good part is you get all your tackle wholesale. The bad part is that it
still costs you more than you would pay for it at Walmart.
Mark McCoy<br>
McCoy's Market Bumpus Mills, Tennessee<br>
http://www.mccoysmarket.com

SHREDİ
November 23rd, 2003, 05:37 AM
MMccoy01 wrote:
> The good part is you get all your tackle wholesale. The bad part is
> that it still costs you more than you would pay for it at Walmart.
> Mark McCoy<br>
> McCoy's Market Bumpus Mills, Tennessee<br>
> http://www.mccoysmarket.com

I boycott Wal-Mart and everyone who believes in small business and the
American Dream should also.

Here are a few reasons why:

http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2003/3044wal-mart.html

alwaysfishking
November 24th, 2003, 01:14 AM
When your stuck on the Mountain and out of hooks, guess where I go? The
mountain wal-mart.
"SHREDİ" > wrote in message
> MMccoy01 wrote:
> > The good part is you get all your tackle wholesale. The bad part is
> > that it still costs you more than you would pay for it at Walmart.
> > Mark McCoy<br>
> > McCoy's Market Bumpus Mills, Tennessee<br>
> > http://www.mccoysmarket.com
>

> I boycott Wal-Mart and everyone who believes in small business and the
> American Dream should also.
>
> Here are a few reasons why:
>
> http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2003/3044wal-mart.html

Gone Angling
November 24th, 2003, 06:20 PM
Sounds like it should be small (and stay small) and something different. It
will only be fun if you have some dough stored away that you don't mind
throwing at it. In other words you are prepared to sustain a loss.
Suppose you don't take a war games attitude to it and approach it much like
angling itself. In any case i do believe that it can be done and a gone angling
type of life can happen too.

Bob
November 25th, 2003, 01:07 AM
"Gone Angling" > wrote in message
> Sounds like it should be small (and stay small)

Nope, there is never a good reason to "PLAN" on staying small! Any good
business plan WILL include growth. Either in sales, foot traffic, profit,
larger store, and others, or any combination of these.

> and something different. It
> will only be fun if you have some dough stored away that you don't mind
> throwing at it. In other words you are prepared to sustain a loss.

If you prepare to take a loss, then you will fail (and have "fun" doing
so?). Even planning for success can fail, but at least you planned for
better than losing.

> Suppose you don't take a war games attitude to it and approach it much
like
> angling itself.

Angling consists of "hoping" that you will succeed today. In business, you
have to plan on succeeding next week, month, and year. War games are for the
military, business plans are for business.

> In any case i do believe that it can be done and a gone angling
> type of life can happen too.

Yes it can, but you have to plan the business to be able to work when you
are not available (employee's that are capable), or the "gone angling"
attitude will be colored by all the thoughts of "what I used to have"!

Cast far
Bob

Gone Angling
November 25th, 2003, 11:40 PM
If you plan on growth it will take a long time and lots of sweat equity...f&&
that. My plan is fun, status, flexibility, low overhead, resist growth and gone
angling

Bob Rickard
November 26th, 2003, 12:46 AM
The troll's short-lived attempt at pretended normalcy seems to have ended,
or maybe a different member of this identity has tag-teamed it's way onto
the keyboard.

How can I tell? Simple: "My plan is fun, status, flexibility, low overhead,
resist growth and gone angling" said the troll, a statement we all know is
entirely too stupid to have ever originated from a human.
--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com

"Gone Angling" > wrote in message
> If you plan on growth it will take a long time and lots of sweat
equity...f&&
> that. My plan is fun, status, flexibility, low overhead, resist growth and
gone
> angling

SHREDİ
November 26th, 2003, 02:06 AM
Gone Angling wrote:
> If you plan on growth it will take a long time and lots of sweat
> equity...f&& that. My plan is fun, status, flexibility, low overhead,
> resist growth and gone angling

OMG he used, "sweat equity". What a friggin buzz phrase.

I heard that at a tradeshow recently, from a salesman.
I think I hate it more than the old phrase; "a new paradigm". Where do they
get these catch phrases?

Must be from some ex-yuppie-exec who sits around thinking of "impressive"
language.

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Dan Krueger
November 27th, 2003, 02:07 AM
Leave him alone. The moron is thinking "outside the box".

Dan

SHREDİ wrote:

> Gone Angling wrote:
>
>>If you plan on growth it will take a long time and lots of sweat
>>equity...f&& that. My plan is fun, status, flexibility, low overhead,
>>resist growth and gone angling
>

> OMG he used, "sweat equity". What a friggin buzz phrase.
>
> I heard that at a tradeshow recently, from a salesman.
> I think I hate it more than the old phrase; "a new paradigm". Where do they
> get these catch phrases?
>
> Must be from some ex-yuppie-exec who sits around thinking of "impressive"
> language.
>
> AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> :)

Dark Knight
November 27th, 2003, 04:42 AM
Evening folks,

As an entrepreneur, I have to take exception to the advice that you're
handing out here Bob. Although I'd agree that all businesses should "plan"
to grow - and to mature, I really can't disagree strongly enough with your
comments concerning being prepared for failure. Yes, you have to plan to
succeed, but you must also have plans in place to deal with the very real
possibility that you might fail. Going in to a business plan with no
thought for loss, or for delayed success that can severely strap cash flows,
is a guaranteed way to end up flay on your face. You must always have a
fall back position...a reserve against unforeseen circumstances. (Remember:
All battle plans are brilliant until first contact with "the enemy", or in
the business world "reality".)

I also disagree that business plans are not battle plans. They have a great
deal in common - why do you think so many executives extol the virtues of
Sun Tzu "The Art of War"? Business and battle are very much the same. Both
require strategic and tactical thinking. Both required variable degrees if
flexibility and rigidity. There are allies, innocents, and opponents.

To those reading this who are not business people, but who are thinking
about becoming such, a very good rule of thumb is to plan for the best, but
prepare for the worst, and always keep your options open. I can not tell
you how many times Innovative has evolved almost literally in front of my
eyes.

DK

"Bob" > wrote in message

> "Gone Angling" > wrote in message
> > Sounds like it should be small (and stay small)
>
> Nope, there is never a good reason to "PLAN" on staying small! Any good
> business plan WILL include growth. Either in sales, foot traffic, profit,
> larger store, and others, or any combination of these.
>
> > and something different. It
> > will only be fun if you have some dough stored away that you don't mind
> > throwing at it. In other words you are prepared to sustain a loss.
>
> If you prepare to take a loss, then you will fail (and have "fun" doing
> so?). Even planning for success can fail, but at least you planned for
> better than losing.
>
> > Suppose you don't take a war games attitude to it and approach it much
> like
> > angling itself.
>
> Angling consists of "hoping" that you will succeed today. In business, you
> have to plan on succeeding next week, month, and year. War games are for
the
> military, business plans are for business.
>
> > In any case i do believe that it can be done and a gone angling
> > type of life can happen too.
>
> Yes it can, but you have to plan the business to be able to work when you
> are not available (employee's that are capable), or the "gone angling"
> attitude will be colored by all the thoughts of "what I used to have"!
>
> Cast far
> Bob

BraveNewWhirl
November 28th, 2003, 12:21 AM
> I also disagree that business plans are not battle plans. They have a great
> deal in common - why do you think so many executives extol the virtues of
> Sun Tzu "The Art of War"? Business and battle are very much the same. Both
> require strategic and tactical thinking. Both required variable degrees if
> flexibility and rigidity. There are allies, innocents, and opponents.
>
> To those reading this who are not business people, but who are thinking
> about becoming such, a very good rule of thumb is to plan for the best, but
> prepare for the worst, and always keep your options open. I can not tell
> you how many times Innovative has evolved almost literally in front of my
> eyes.
>

> DK

Anyone advocating or subscribing to military tactics in the business
world is a fool. He/she might "win" the occasional battle but the war
will be forever beyond their grasp.