PDA

View Full Version : OT news server woes

Henry Hefner
August 27th, 2004, 12:55 AM
AAURRRGGGGH!! The family has been waiting forever for broadband to
hit this area. Finally a company comes in with wireless braodband,
much faster that our old dialup. Sign up, installers come and do their
thing, wow!, look at those pages load. Then I get settled in and find
out they don't do usenet!! I search for a free server and try the one
someone (Rich Z IIRC) recommended in Germany, and they have changed up
their site, no english registration. So I'm trying to get caught up
using Google Groups, but I hate the web based format, they don't offer
ABPF, and no killfile! I didn't realize I was addicted till I couldn't
get on here. Maybe I'll just take up drinking.

Charles B. Summers
August 27th, 2004, 01:33 AM
www.teranews.com

Free, but reqiures a cc# for the $3.00 set-up fee.

"Henry Hefner" > wrote in message
om...
> AAURRRGGGGH!! The family has been waiting forever for broadband to
> hit this area. Finally a company comes in with wireless braodband,
> much faster that our old dialup. Sign up, installers come and do their
> thing, wow!, look at those pages load. Then I get settled in and find
> out they don't do usenet!! I search for a free server and try the one
> someone (Rich Z IIRC) recommended in Germany, and they have changed up
> their site, no english registration. So I'm trying to get caught up
> using Google Groups, but I hate the web based format, they don't offer
> ABPF, and no killfile! I didn't realize I was addicted till I couldn't
> get on here. Maybe I'll just take up drinking.

Charles B. Summers
August 27th, 2004, 01:33 AM
www.teranews.com

Free, but reqiures a cc# for the $3.00 set-up fee.

"Henry Hefner" > wrote in message
om...
> AAURRRGGGGH!! The family has been waiting forever for broadband to
> hit this area. Finally a company comes in with wireless braodband,
> much faster that our old dialup. Sign up, installers come and do their
> thing, wow!, look at those pages load. Then I get settled in and find
> out they don't do usenet!! I search for a free server and try the one
> someone (Rich Z IIRC) recommended in Germany, and they have changed up
> their site, no english registration. So I'm trying to get caught up
> using Google Groups, but I hate the web based format, they don't offer
> ABPF, and no killfile! I didn't realize I was addicted till I couldn't
> get on here. Maybe I'll just take up drinking.

Larry Runkle
August 27th, 2004, 04:08 AM
"Eric Dreher" > wrote in message
> On 26 Aug 2004 16:55:39 -0700, (Henry Hefner)
> wrote:
>
> >AAURRRGGGGH!! The family has been waiting forever for broadband to
> >hit this area. Finally a company comes in with wireless braodband,
> >much faster that our old dialup. Sign up, installers come and do their
> >thing, wow!, look at those pages load. Then I get settled in and find
> >out they don't do usenet!! I search for a free server and try the one
> >someone (Rich Z IIRC) recommended in Germany, and they have changed up
> >their site, no english registration. So I'm trying to get caught up
> >using Google Groups, but I hate the web based format, they don't offer
> >ABPF, and no killfile! I didn't realize I was addicted till I couldn't
> >get on here. Maybe I'll just take up drinking.
>
> Here's the English site:
>
> http://news.individual.net/

> "The truth, which is what elections are all about,
> is that the tax burden of the middle class has
> gone up while the tax burden of the middle class
> has gone down," - John Kerry

I went cable and had the same problem. I went with the link above
new.individual.net and it works great. I have no complaints.

Larry

Larry Runkle
August 27th, 2004, 04:08 AM
"Eric Dreher" > wrote in message
> On 26 Aug 2004 16:55:39 -0700, (Henry Hefner)
> wrote:
>
> >AAURRRGGGGH!! The family has been waiting forever for broadband to
> >hit this area. Finally a company comes in with wireless braodband,
> >much faster that our old dialup. Sign up, installers come and do their
> >thing, wow!, look at those pages load. Then I get settled in and find
> >out they don't do usenet!! I search for a free server and try the one
> >someone (Rich Z IIRC) recommended in Germany, and they have changed up
> >their site, no english registration. So I'm trying to get caught up
> >using Google Groups, but I hate the web based format, they don't offer
> >ABPF, and no killfile! I didn't realize I was addicted till I couldn't
> >get on here. Maybe I'll just take up drinking.
>
> Here's the English site:
>
> http://news.individual.net/

> "The truth, which is what elections are all about,
> is that the tax burden of the middle class has
> gone up while the tax burden of the middle class
> has gone down," - John Kerry

I went cable and had the same problem. I went with the link above
new.individual.net and it works great. I have no complaints.

Larry

Scott Seidman
August 27th, 2004, 02:06 PM
(Henry Hefner) wrote in
om:

You can find the German site's English page at news.individual.net

Scott

Scott Seidman
August 27th, 2004, 02:06 PM
(Henry Hefner) wrote in
om:

You can find the German site's English page at news.individual.net

Scott

Henry Hefner
September 4th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Henry Hefner wrote:

> AAURRRGGGGH!! The family has been waiting forever for broadband to
> hit this area. Finally a company comes in with wireless braodband,
> much faster that our old dialup. Sign up, installers come and do their
> thing, wow!, look at those pages load. Then I get settled in and find
> out they don't do usenet!! I search for a free server and try the one
> someone (Rich Z IIRC) recommended in Germany, and they have changed up
> their site, no english registration. So I'm trying to get caught up
> using Google Groups, but I hate the web based format, they don't offer
> ABPF, and no killfile! I didn't realize I was addicted till I couldn't
> get on here. Maybe I'll just take up drinking.

Thanks to all for the links, I got my username and password from
news.individual.net after just 5 days! I'm bummed that I can't see all
the great pics I'm used to at ABPF, but I can read and post here,
hopefully without the 3 to 6 hour delay I found on Google.

Henry Hefner
September 4th, 2004, 03:49 AM