PDA

View Full Version : Can You Believe?

Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)
August 27th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Picture this....... I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They come 25
to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2" thick. Would you
believe they charged me $5.95 for shipping, because they packed the hooks
into a cardboard box that's 12" long, 10" wide, and 4" high. They could have
shipped them in a padded envelope for about $.85. I believe the main reason
for all of this was so that they could send me a paper catalog, and some
dumb brochure. So that means I paid extra for shipping so that I could
receive their advertisements. What a rip-off !! Needless to say that was my
last dealings with Cabelas.

--

Jerry Barton
www.jerrys-world.com

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
August 27th, 2004, 04:05 AM
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:49:31 -0400, "Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)"
> sent into the ether:

>Picture this....... I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They come 25
>to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2" thick. Would you
>believe they charged me $5.95 for shipping, because they packed the hooks
>into a cardboard box that's 12" long, 10" wide, and 4" high. They could have
>shipped them in a padded envelope for about $.85. I believe the main reason
>for all of this was so that they could send me a paper catalog, and some
>dumb brochure. So that means I paid extra for shipping so that I could
>receive their advertisements. What a rip-off !! Needless to say that was my
>last dealings with Cabelas.
I got a free training DVD in a 18" square cardboard box the other day
at work. It must have been the same shipping clerk :<}

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
August 27th, 2004, 04:05 AM
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:49:31 -0400, "Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)"
> sent into the ether:

>Picture this....... I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They come 25
>to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2" thick. Would you
>believe they charged me $5.95 for shipping, because they packed the hooks
>into a cardboard box that's 12" long, 10" wide, and 4" high. They could have
>shipped them in a padded envelope for about $.85. I believe the main reason
>for all of this was so that they could send me a paper catalog, and some
>dumb brochure. So that means I paid extra for shipping so that I could
>receive their advertisements. What a rip-off !! Needless to say that was my
>last dealings with Cabelas.
I got a free training DVD in a 18" square cardboard box the other day
at work. It must have been the same shipping clerk :<}

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com

RichZ
August 27th, 2004, 04:21 AM
Jerry wrote:
> I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They come 25
> to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2" thick.

I'm not an apologist for Cabela's but I don't believe your point is valid.
Remember, it's not Shipping, it's Shipping & HANDLING.

Like 95% of the mail order/online order firms on the planet, Cabela's S&H
charges are based on the value of the order, not the actual shipping costs.
I don't know what hooks you bought, but for the S&H to be $5.95, the
merchandise total had to be between $15 and $30. Did it come UPS? If so,
keep in mind that there's more than 3 bucks in extra charges from UPS for
delivery to a residential address and delivery to areas outside the big
cities. One or both of those surcharges gets tacked on to more than 70% of
the orders a retail firm in the outdoors industry ships (the customer
profile is suburban/rural). Add a 5 buck UPS surcharge for every wrong
address (things as simple as mispelled street names can generate the bad
address charge, which is at the discretion of the driver). None of those
charges may have applied in your case. But they are in effect in many
cases, and all have to be averaged in to the S&H chart. FWIW, Cabela's S&H
chart (breakpoints and charges) is identical to that of BPS.

The USPS is trying to make headway into this market, but until they offer
package tracking, it's not going to be practical except on low end orders.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

RichZ
August 27th, 2004, 04:21 AM
Jerry wrote:
> I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They come 25
> to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2" thick.

I'm not an apologist for Cabela's but I don't believe your point is valid.
Remember, it's not Shipping, it's Shipping & HANDLING.

Like 95% of the mail order/online order firms on the planet, Cabela's S&H
charges are based on the value of the order, not the actual shipping costs.
I don't know what hooks you bought, but for the S&H to be $5.95, the
merchandise total had to be between $15 and $30. Did it come UPS? If so,
keep in mind that there's more than 3 bucks in extra charges from UPS for
delivery to a residential address and delivery to areas outside the big
cities. One or both of those surcharges gets tacked on to more than 70% of
the orders a retail firm in the outdoors industry ships (the customer
profile is suburban/rural). Add a 5 buck UPS surcharge for every wrong
address (things as simple as mispelled street names can generate the bad
address charge, which is at the discretion of the driver). None of those
charges may have applied in your case. But they are in effect in many
cases, and all have to be averaged in to the S&H chart. FWIW, Cabela's S&H
chart (breakpoints and charges) is identical to that of BPS.

The USPS is trying to make headway into this market, but until they offer
package tracking, it's not going to be practical except on low end orders.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Marty
August 27th, 2004, 06:10 AM
"Jerry Barton (NervisRek)" > wrote in message

This isn't related, but I recently ordered 8 packs of snaps from
arkiejigs.com. Their minimum shipping charge was $5.95, which probably makes
sense since guys are ordering maybe a pound or two of jigs, but these snaps
could have been mailed for two stamps, I think.

I was willing to pay, though, because I really wanted that brand of snap,
which is no longer available locally. So I dropped them an e-mail and said I
was willing to pay the $5.95, but it seemed odd because of the small
physical size of my order. The lady wrote back and offered to send them by
mail for $2, which I thought was great service above and beyond the call of
duty.

That's something I'll remember for the next time I need something that they
carry.

[...]

Kevin Hare
August 27th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Well then, you should have plenty of 5/0 hooks for us both at the NWC???????

Heavy

"Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)" > wrote in message >...
> Picture this....... I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They come 25
> to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2" thick. Would you
> believe they charged me $5.95 for shipping, because they packed the hooks
> into a cardboard box that's 12" long, 10" wide, and 4" high. They could have
> shipped them in a padded envelope for about $.85. I believe the main reason
> for all of this was so that they could send me a paper catalog, and some
> dumb brochure. So that means I paid extra for shipping so that I could
> receive their advertisements. What a rip-off !! Needless to say that was my
> last dealings with Cabelas.

Kevin Hare
August 27th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Well then, you should have plenty of 5/0 hooks for us both at the NWC???????

Heavy

"Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)" > wrote in message >...
> Picture this....... I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They come 25
> to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2" thick. Would you
> believe they charged me $5.95 for shipping, because they packed the hooks
> into a cardboard box that's 12" long, 10" wide, and 4" high. They could have
> shipped them in a padded envelope for about $.85. I believe the main reason
> for all of this was so that they could send me a paper catalog, and some
> dumb brochure. So that means I paid extra for shipping so that I could
> receive their advertisements. What a rip-off !! Needless to say that was my
> last dealings with Cabelas.

Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)
August 27th, 2004, 02:25 PM
ROFLMAO !!!!!

"Kevin Hare" > wrote in message
om...
> Well then, you should have plenty of 5/0 hooks for us both at the
NWC???????

> Heavy
>

> "Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)" > wrote in message
> > Picture this....... I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They
come 25
> > to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2" thick. Would
you
> > believe they charged me $5.95 for shipping, because they packed the
hooks
> > into a cardboard box that's 12" long, 10" wide, and 4" high. They could
have
> > shipped them in a padded envelope for about $.85. I believe the main
reason
> > for all of this was so that they could send me a paper catalog, and some
> > dumb brochure. So that means I paid extra for shipping so that I could
> > receive their advertisements. What a rip-off !! Needless to say that was
my
> > last dealings with Cabelas.

Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)
August 27th, 2004, 02:25 PM
ROFLMAO !!!!!

"Kevin Hare" > wrote in message
om...
> Well then, you should have plenty of 5/0 hooks for us both at the
NWC???????

> Heavy
>

> "Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)" > wrote in message
> > Picture this....... I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They
come 25
> > to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2" thick. Would
you
> > believe they charged me $5.95 for shipping, because they packed the
hooks
> > into a cardboard box that's 12" long, 10" wide, and 4" high. They could
have
> > shipped them in a padded envelope for about $.85. I believe the main
reason
> > for all of this was so that they could send me a paper catalog, and some
> > dumb brochure. So that means I paid extra for shipping so that I could
> > receive their advertisements. What a rip-off !! Needless to say that was
my
> > last dealings with Cabelas.

go-bassn
August 27th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Not to burst your bubble here Jer, but the larger box *most likely* didn't
cost any more to send than a smaller one would have. I believe Cabelas uses
UPS & they charge by weight, not by size. And a 2# box is only pennies more
to ship than a1# box. I ship stuff all the time, and $6 is not at all out
of line for a small box via UPS, in fact it's bottom dollar. Keep in mind
your package was insured also, not to mention packed by a good old American
laborer

Bass Pro Shops would do you no better on a single pack of hooks...

So rest at ease, you weren't ripped off by Cabelas.

Warren

"Jerry Barton (NervisRek)" > wrote in message
> Picture this....... I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They come
25
> to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2" thick. Would
you
> believe they charged me $5.95 for shipping, because they packed the hooks
> into a cardboard box that's 12" long, 10" wide, and 4" high. They could
have
> shipped them in a padded envelope for about $.85. I believe the main
reason
> for all of this was so that they could send me a paper catalog, and some
> dumb brochure. So that means I paid extra for shipping so that I could
> receive their advertisements. What a rip-off !! Needless to say that was
my
> last dealings with Cabelas.
>
> --
>
> Jerry Barton
> www.jerrys-world.com

go-bassn
August 27th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Not to burst your bubble here Jer, but the larger box *most likely* didn't
cost any more to send than a smaller one would have. I believe Cabelas uses
UPS & they charge by weight, not by size. And a 2# box is only pennies more
to ship than a1# box. I ship stuff all the time, and $6 is not at all out
of line for a small box via UPS, in fact it's bottom dollar. Keep in mind
your package was insured also, not to mention packed by a good old American
laborer

Bass Pro Shops would do you no better on a single pack of hooks...

So rest at ease, you weren't ripped off by Cabelas.

Warren

"Jerry Barton (NervisRek)" > wrote in message
> Picture this....... I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They come
25
> to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2" thick. Would
you
> believe they charged me $5.95 for shipping, because they packed the hooks
> into a cardboard box that's 12" long, 10" wide, and 4" high. They could
have
> shipped them in a padded envelope for about $.85. I believe the main
reason
> for all of this was so that they could send me a paper catalog, and some
> dumb brochure. So that means I paid extra for shipping so that I could
> receive their advertisements. What a rip-off !! Needless to say that was
my
> last dealings with Cabelas.
>
> --
>
> Jerry Barton
> www.jerrys-world.com

Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)
August 27th, 2004, 04:51 PM
My point was that they could have shipped it in a padded envelope at a lower
cost to me and them.

"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> Not to burst your bubble here Jer, but the larger box *most likely* didn't
> cost any more to send than a smaller one would have. I believe Cabelas
uses
> UPS & they charge by weight, not by size. And a 2# box is only pennies
more
> to ship than a1# box. I ship stuff all the time, and $6 is not at all out
> of line for a small box via UPS, in fact it's bottom dollar. Keep in mind
> your package was insured also, not to mention packed by a good old
American
> laborer
>
> Bass Pro Shops would do you no better on a single pack of hooks...
>
> So rest at ease, you weren't ripped off by Cabelas.
>
> Warren
>
> "Jerry Barton (NervisRek)" > wrote in message
> > Picture this....... I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They
come
> 25
> > to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2" thick. Would
> you
> > believe they charged me $5.95 for shipping, because they packed the
hooks
> > into a cardboard box that's 12" long, 10" wide, and 4" high. They could
> have
> > shipped them in a padded envelope for about $.85. I believe the main
> reason
> > for all of this was so that they could send me a paper catalog, and some
> > dumb brochure. So that means I paid extra for shipping so that I could
> > receive their advertisements. What a rip-off !! Needless to say that was
> my
> > last dealings with Cabelas.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Jerry Barton
> > www.jerrys-world.com

alwaysfishking
August 27th, 2004, 05:05 PM
didn't cost them anything :-)

"Jerry Barton (NervisRek)" > wrote in message
> My point was that they could have shipped it in a padded envelope at a
lower
> cost to me and them.
>
> "go-bassn" > wrote in message
> > Not to burst your bubble here Jer, but the larger box *most likely*
didn't
> > cost any more to send than a smaller one would have. I believe Cabelas
> uses
> > UPS & they charge by weight, not by size. And a 2# box is only pennies
> more
> > to ship than a1# box. I ship stuff all the time, and $6 is not at all
out
> > of line for a small box via UPS, in fact it's bottom dollar. Keep in
mind
> > your package was insured also, not to mention packed by a good old
> American
> > laborer
> >
> > Bass Pro Shops would do you no better on a single pack of hooks...
> >
> > So rest at ease, you weren't ripped off by Cabelas.
> >
> > Warren
> >
> > "Jerry Barton (NervisRek)" > wrote in message
> > > Picture this....... I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They
> come
> > 25
> > > to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2" thick.
Would
> > you
> > > believe they charged me $5.95 for shipping, because they packed the
> hooks
> > > into a cardboard box that's 12" long, 10" wide, and 4" high. They
could
> > have
> > > shipped them in a padded envelope for about $.85. I believe the main
> > reason
> > > for all of this was so that they could send me a paper catalog, and
some
> > > dumb brochure. So that means I paid extra for shipping so that I could
> > > receive their advertisements. What a rip-off !! Needless to say that
was
> > my
> > > last dealings with Cabelas.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Jerry Barton
> > > www.jerrys-world.com

alwaysfishking
August 27th, 2004, 05:05 PM
didn't cost them anything :-)

"Jerry Barton (NervisRek)" > wrote in message
> My point was that they could have shipped it in a padded envelope at a
lower
> cost to me and them.
>
> "go-bassn" > wrote in message
> > Not to burst your bubble here Jer, but the larger box *most likely*
didn't
> > cost any more to send than a smaller one would have. I believe Cabelas
> uses
> > UPS & they charge by weight, not by size. And a 2# box is only pennies
> more
> > to ship than a1# box. I ship stuff all the time, and $6 is not at all
out
> > of line for a small box via UPS, in fact it's bottom dollar. Keep in
mind
> > your package was insured also, not to mention packed by a good old
> American
> > laborer
> >
> > Bass Pro Shops would do you no better on a single pack of hooks...
> >
> > So rest at ease, you weren't ripped off by Cabelas.
> >
> > Warren
> >
> > "Jerry Barton (NervisRek)" > wrote in message
> > > Picture this....... I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They
> come
> > 25
> > > to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2" thick.
Would
> > you
> > > believe they charged me $5.95 for shipping, because they packed the
> hooks
> > > into a cardboard box that's 12" long, 10" wide, and 4" high. They
could
> > have
> > > shipped them in a padded envelope for about $.85. I believe the main
> > reason
> > > for all of this was so that they could send me a paper catalog, and
some
> > > dumb brochure. So that means I paid extra for shipping so that I could
> > > receive their advertisements. What a rip-off !! Needless to say that
was
> > my
> > > last dealings with Cabelas.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Jerry Barton
> > > www.jerrys-world.com

dvito
August 27th, 2004, 05:15 PM
The shipping and handling cost reflects not just the postage but the cost of
labor for picking items, packing items, materials, catalog production,
advertising, website expenses, etc...

Therefore, if you want to save money, open up a UPS account and do all of
your orders by phone so the live rep can put your account number on the
package for UPS charges and then all you pay for is handling part.

I agree that some stores rip you off on S&H charges. I ordered a camera for
$800.00 and they wanted to charge $58.00 for S&H. I gave my number to the
sales rep and it only cost me $17.0 with full insurance.

The UPS account setup is free and only takes a few minutes. It's worth it if
you do alot of mail orders. If a store refuses to accomodate you then refuse
to offer your business to them.

Dave V.
> [...]

> > > Picture this....... I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They
> come
> > 25
> > > to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2" thick.
Would
> > you
> > > believe they charged me $5.95 for shipping, because they packed the
> hooks
> > > into a cardboard box that's 12" long, 10" wide, and 4" high. They
could
> > have
> > > shipped them in a padded envelope for about $.85. I believe the main
> > reason
> > > for all of this was so that they could send me a paper catalog, and
some
> > > dumb brochure. So that means I paid extra for shipping so that I could
> > > receive their advertisements. What a rip-off !! Needless to say that

go-bassn
August 27th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Not so though Jerry. To UPS a pound is a pound regardless of what container
its in.

Warren

> [...]

> > > Picture this....... I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They
> come
> > 25
> > > to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2" thick.
Would
> > you
> > > believe they charged me $5.95 for shipping, because they packed the
> hooks
> > > into a cardboard box that's 12" long, 10" wide, and 4" high. They
could
> > have
> > > shipped them in a padded envelope for about $.85. I believe the main
> > reason
> > > for all of this was so that they could send me a paper catalog, and
some
> > > dumb brochure. So that means I paid extra for shipping so that I could
> > > receive their advertisements. What a rip-off !! Needless to say that

go-bassn
August 27th, 2004, 05:23 PM
With UPS the first $100 is covered, each add'l $100 is only $.35 per.

Warren

"dvito" > wrote in message
> The shipping and handling cost reflects not just the postage but the cost
of
> labor for picking items, packing items, materials, catalog production,
> advertising, website expenses, etc...
>
> Therefore, if you want to save money, open up a UPS account and do all of
> your orders by phone so the live rep can put your account number on the
> package for UPS charges and then all you pay for is handling part.
>
> I agree that some stores rip you off on S&H charges. I ordered a camera
for
> $800.00 and they wanted to charge $58.00 for S&H. I gave my number to the
> sales rep and it only cost me $17.0 with full insurance.
>
> The UPS account setup is free and only takes a few minutes. It's worth it
if
> you do alot of mail orders. If a store refuses to accomodate you then
refuse
> to offer your business to them.
>

> Dave V.
> "Jerry Barton (NervisRek)" > wrote in message
> > My point was that they could have shipped it in a padded envelope at a
> lower
> > cost to me and them.
> >
> > "go-bassn" > wrote in message
> > > Not to burst your bubble here Jer, but the larger box *most likely*
> didn't
> > > cost any more to send than a smaller one would have. I believe
Cabelas
> > uses
> > > UPS & they charge by weight, not by size. And a 2# box is only
pennies
> > more
> > > to ship than a1# box. I ship stuff all the time, and $6 is not at all
> out
> > > of line for a small box via UPS, in fact it's bottom dollar. Keep in
> mind
> > > your package was insured also, not to mention packed by a good old
> > American
> > > laborer
> > >
> > > Bass Pro Shops would do you no better on a single pack of hooks...
> > >
> > > So rest at ease, you weren't ripped off by Cabelas.
> > >
> > > Warren

> > come
> > > 25
> Would
> > > you
> > hooks
> could
> > > have
> > > reason
> some
> was
> > > my

SimRacer
August 27th, 2004, 05:31 PM
"dvito" > wrote in message
> The shipping and handling cost reflects not just the postage but the cost
of
> labor for picking items, packing items, materials, catalog production,
> advertising, website expenses, etc...
>
> Therefore, if you want to save money, open up a UPS account and do all of
> your orders by phone so the live rep can put your account number on the
> package for UPS charges and then all you pay for is handling part.
>
> I agree that some stores rip you off on S&H charges. I ordered a camera
for
> $800.00 and they wanted to charge $58.00 for S&H. I gave my number to the
> sales rep and it only cost me $17.0 with full insurance.
>
> The UPS account setup is free and only takes a few minutes. It's worth it
if
> you do alot of mail orders. If a store refuses to accomodate you then
refuse
> to offer your business to them.

I do the same thing. I got into a UPS account through my business, from a
UPS account person that called and gave me a discount on everything I ship
if I signed up with her. Didn't cost a thing to sign up, as you mentioned,
and now I also try to give my UPS account number when I can for the shipping
folks to "Bill to receiver Acct #" with and it does cut down on cost, no
doubt. I use it all the time for getting stuff shipped to me, probably more
than I do actually shipping anything out myself.

> Dave V.
> "Jerry Barton (NervisRek)" > wrote in message
> > My point was that they could have shipped it in a padded envelope at a
> lower
> > cost to me and them.
> >
> > "go-bassn" > wrote in message
> > > Not to burst your bubble here Jer, but the larger box *most likely*
> didn't
> > > cost any more to send than a smaller one would have. I believe
Cabelas
> > uses
> > > UPS & they charge by weight, not by size. And a 2# box is only
pennies
> > more
> > > to ship than a1# box. I ship stuff all the time, and $6 is not at all
> out
> > > of line for a small box via UPS, in fact it's bottom dollar. Keep in
> mind
> > > your package was insured also, not to mention packed by a good old
> > American
> > > laborer
> > >
> > > Bass Pro Shops would do you no better on a single pack of hooks...
> > >
> > > So rest at ease, you weren't ripped off by Cabelas.
> > >
> > > Warren

> > come
> > > 25
> Would
> > > you
> > hooks
> could
> > > have
> > > reason
> some
> was
> > > my

SimRacer
August 27th, 2004, 05:31 PM
"dvito" > wrote in message
> [...]

> > > Not to burst your bubble here Jer, but the larger box *most likely*
> didn't
> > > cost any more to send than a smaller one would have. I believe
Cabelas
> > uses
> > > UPS & they charge by weight, not by size. And a 2# box is only
pennies
> > more
> > > to ship than a1# box. I ship stuff all the time, and $6 is not at all
> out
> > > of line for a small box via UPS, in fact it's bottom dollar. Keep in
> mind
> > > your package was insured also, not to mention packed by a good old
> > American
> > > laborer
> > >
> > > Bass Pro Shops would do you no better on a single pack of hooks...
> > >
> > > So rest at ease, you weren't ripped off by Cabelas.

Kevin Hare
August 27th, 2004, 07:29 PM
What's so funny???????????????? :)

"Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)" > wrote in message >...
> ROFLMAO !!!!!
>
> "Kevin Hare" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Well then, you should have plenty of 5/0 hooks for us both at the
> NWC???????
> >
> > Heavy
> >

> > "Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)" > wrote in message
> > > Picture this....... I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They
> come 25
> > > to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2" thick. Would
> you
> > > believe they charged me $5.95 for shipping, because they packed the
> hooks
> > > into a cardboard box that's 12" long, 10" wide, and 4" high. They could
> have
> > > shipped them in a padded envelope for about $.85. I believe the main
> reason
> > > for all of this was so that they could send me a paper catalog, and some
> > > dumb brochure. So that means I paid extra for shipping so that I could
> > > receive their advertisements. What a rip-off !! Needless to say that was
> my
> > > last dealings with Cabelas.

Kevin Hare
August 27th, 2004, 07:29 PM
What's so funny???????????????? :)

"Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)" > wrote in message >...
> ROFLMAO !!!!!
>
> "Kevin Hare" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Well then, you should have plenty of 5/0 hooks for us both at the
> NWC???????
> >
> > Heavy
> >

> > "Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)" > wrote in message
> > > Picture this....... I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They
> come 25
> > > to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2" thick. Would
> you
> > > believe they charged me $5.95 for shipping, because they packed the
> hooks
> > > into a cardboard box that's 12" long, 10" wide, and 4" high. They could
> have
> > > shipped them in a padded envelope for about $.85. I believe the main
> reason
> > > for all of this was so that they could send me a paper catalog, and some
> > > dumb brochure. So that means I paid extra for shipping so that I could
> > > receive their advertisements. What a rip-off !! Needless to say that was
> my
> > > last dealings with Cabelas.

Kevin Hare
August 27th, 2004, 07:29 PM
What's so funny???????????????? :)

"Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)" > wrote in message >...
> ROFLMAO !!!!!
>
> "Kevin Hare" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Well then, you should have plenty of 5/0 hooks for us both at the
> NWC???????
> >
> > Heavy
> >

> > "Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)" > wrote in message
> > > Picture this....... I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They
> come 25
> > > to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2" thick. Would
> you
> > > believe they charged me $5.95 for shipping, because they packed the
> hooks
> > > into a cardboard box that's 12" long, 10" wide, and 4" high. They could
> have
> > > shipped them in a padded envelope for about $.85. I believe the main
> reason
> > > for all of this was so that they could send me a paper catalog, and some
> > > dumb brochure. So that means I paid extra for shipping so that I could
> > > receive their advertisements. What a rip-off !! Needless to say that was
> my
> > > last dealings with Cabelas.

TerryNC
August 27th, 2004, 10:50 PM
The point is shipping is standardized. 5.95 is the least shipping for any
item

> [...]

> > > Picture this....... I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They
> come
> > 25
> > > to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2" thick.
Would
> > you
> > > believe they charged me $5.95 for shipping, because they packed the
> hooks
> > > into a cardboard box that's 12" long, 10" wide, and 4" high. They
could
> > have
> > > shipped them in a padded envelope for about $.85. I believe the main
> > reason
> > > for all of this was so that they could send me a paper catalog, and
some
> > > dumb brochure. So that means I paid extra for shipping so that I could
> > > receive their advertisements. What a rip-off !! Needless to say that

Scott Seidman
August 27th, 2004, 11:09 PM
"Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)" > wrote in
:

> Picture this....... I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They
> come 25 to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2"
> thick. Would you believe they charged me $5.95 for shipping, because
> they packed the hooks into a cardboard box that's 12" long, 10" wide,
> and 4" high. They could have shipped them in a padded envelope for
> about $.85. I believe the main reason for all of this was so that they
> could send me a paper catalog, and some dumb brochure. So that means I
> paid extra for shipping so that I could receive their advertisements.
> What a rip-off !! Needless to say that was my last dealings with
> Cabelas.
>
> --
>
> Jerry Barton
> www.jerrys-world.com

That's their standard rate for orders between 15 and 30 dollars. If you do
mail order business, try to hold off until you have a bigger order, and
shipping will be cost effective.

I haven't found Cabela's to be worse than other stores.

Scott

Scott Seidman
August 27th, 2004, 11:09 PM
"Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)" > wrote in
:

> Picture this....... I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They
> come 25 to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2"
> thick. Would you believe they charged me $5.95 for shipping, because
> they packed the hooks into a cardboard box that's 12" long, 10" wide,
> and 4" high. They could have shipped them in a padded envelope for
> about $.85. I believe the main reason for all of this was so that they
> could send me a paper catalog, and some dumb brochure. So that means I
> paid extra for shipping so that I could receive their advertisements.
> What a rip-off !! Needless to say that was my last dealings with
> Cabelas.
>
> --
>
> Jerry Barton
> www.jerrys-world.com

That's their standard rate for orders between 15 and 30 dollars. If you do
mail order business, try to hold off until you have a bigger order, and
shipping will be cost effective.

I haven't found Cabela's to be worse than other stores.

Scott

Jesse
November 25th, 2004, 03:00 AM
I ordered three snakes from Doug Hannon's web site and they charged me
$5.95 shipping/handling. It came in an envolope with .80 cents
postage.

I did not open it, placed it back in a padded mailer and told them to
refund my money cuz they suck!

I should not have to pay for others probelms surcharges, bad address
info and all that crap.

Give me a break!

UPS and the like can eat those bogus charges. Don't ship with
them--Duh!

How about good old US Mail. They diliver to ANY address unlike UPS
and the like.