PDA

View Full Version : Well, I'm done until after Labor Day

Charles B. Summers
August 30th, 2004, 05:40 AM
Thankfully, around here most of the pleasure boaters and jet-skis seem to
end their season after Labor Day. There's that one day that everyone is off
work that can be pure hell on a fisherman, but after that... the lake slowly
begins to become all mine.

Anyway, I took tonight to make my last round before Labor Day. I was in the
water around 6pm and returned home by 10:30pm. I gotta say once again...
that Mega-Strike is some pretty awesome stuff! I caught three or four fish
on a spinnerbait, three more on a crankbait that Joe left in the cup holder
of my boat (Thanks Joe), then as the sun was settling down I tied on a
Powerworm and mounted the blacklights on the rail.

There's a solitary laydown near one of the bluffs that I fish. Just one.
Nine times out of ten I can find a fish there, and tonight was no different.
Usually you get one shot at it, then you might as well use dynamite if you
missed it. I felt the fish pick up the bait and swim under the log, so I
laid into it. The line went slack, but I was missing my hook, bead, and
weight. I picked up another rod with a jig tied on, but I knew it was a
worthless cause.

I tied on another worm and fish a small section of the wall, all the while
thinking of that lost fish. I did manage to pick a few off, but finally
decided to troll back to the laydown for one more chance. That's when I
remembered the Mega-Strike. I globbed some of that stuff on my bait and
pitched it into the branches and counted to five. I lifted the tip of the
rod and felt my fish! This time, he didn't get away. I set the hook and
within a few minutes, I was reaching over the port side and lipping the bass
over the rail. She weighed 4lbs and some odd ounces.

That was the biggest fish of the night, but in the four short hours that I
spent on the lake, I managed three more on the Powerworm, and four more on
our new Moonlight Snack spinnerbait. If I were fishing a tournament, I
probably would have weighed in around 11lbs. Not bad for Percy Priest... but
it kinda makes me sad that I missed our club tournament the weekend before.

Hope y'all did well this weekend. I'll post some of my self portraits as
soon as I find my card reader.

Bob La Londe
August 30th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Charles... Now is the time to explore the rivers and small waters that the
pleasure boaters don't care for. The last holiday weekend I went out I was
flipping the current int he river until the waves just got too bad to handle
from all the nuts on the river. I headed back into one of the back channels
and never saw another boat the rest of the day. Most of the other fisherman
didn't go out that weekend, and the jet skis and wake boarders can't really
do anything once you get back in there.

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing

"Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]

> pitched it into the branches and counted to five. I lifted the tip of the
> rod and felt my fish! This time, he didn't get away. I set the hook and
> within a few minutes, I was reaching over the port side and lipping the
bass
> over the rail. She weighed 4lbs and some odd ounces.
>
> That was the biggest fish of the night, but in the four short hours that I
> spent on the lake, I managed three more on the Powerworm, and four more on
> our new Moonlight Snack spinnerbait. If I were fishing a tournament, I
> probably would have weighed in around 11lbs. Not bad for Percy Priest...
but
> it kinda makes me sad that I missed our club tournament the weekend
before.

> Hope y'all did well this weekend. I'll post some of my self portraits as

Charles Summers
August 30th, 2004, 04:09 PM
You know... this was suppose to be the year that I started my exploration of
the Cumberland River system. Then again, my fishing time has been severely
limited, but I gotten to see parts of the USA that I thought I'd never see.
Well, Las Vegas and Lake Mead anyway. It's just too bad that I didn't get to
fish it.

But Okeechobee! WOW what a lake!!!

I've had fun, fishing in Dale Hollow, Center Hill, Okeechobee, Old Hickory,
Percy Priest, and Lake Barkley this year. Next year, I've got to get to
Pickwick, Nickajack, Tims Ford, Kentucky Lake, Chickamauga, Douglas,
Reelfoot, Watts Bar, Woods, Norris, Cherokee, and Boone Lake. With all of
these lake here in Tennessee... there's really no reason to risk losing your
life in the Cumberland though!

"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> [...]

the
> > rod and felt my fish! This time, he didn't get away. I set the hook and
> > within a few minutes, I was reaching over the port side and lipping the
> bass
> > over the rail. She weighed 4lbs and some odd ounces.
> >
> > That was the biggest fish of the night, but in the four short hours that
> > spent on the lake, I managed three more on the Powerworm, and four more
on
> > our new Moonlight Snack spinnerbait. If I were fishing a tournament, I
> > probably would have weighed in around 11lbs. Not bad for Percy Priest...
> but
> > it kinda makes me sad that I missed our club tournament the weekend
> before.
> >
> > Hope y'all did well this weekend. I'll post some of my self portraits as

go-bassn
August 30th, 2004, 06:28 PM
SEVEN POUND SMALLMOUTH...

....that's no reason???

Warren

"Charles Summers" > wrote in message
> [...]

and
> > > within a few minutes, I was reaching over the port side and lipping
the
> > bass
> > > over the rail. She weighed 4lbs and some odd ounces.
> > >
> > > That was the biggest fish of the night, but in the four short hours
that
> > > spent on the lake, I managed three more on the Powerworm, and four
more
> on
> > > our new Moonlight Snack spinnerbait. If I were fishing a tournament, I
> > > probably would have weighed in around 11lbs. Not bad for Percy
Priest...
> > but
> > > it kinda makes me sad that I missed our club tournament the weekend
> > before.
> > >
> > > Hope y'all did well this weekend. I'll post some of my self portraits

Charles Summers
August 30th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Where is SEVEN POUND SMALLMOUTH???

I keep hearing stories about a 10lb LM being caught this year out of Priest!
Apparently this is fact, but I still can't find any proof. I think it was
in April while I was out of town.

"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> [...]
of
> > these lake here in Tennessee... there's really no reason to risk losing
> your
> > life in the Cumberland though!
> >

> > "Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> > > Charles... Now is the time to explore the rivers and small waters that
> the
> > > pleasure boaters don't care for. The last holiday weekend I went out
> > was
> > > flipping the current int he river until the waves just got too bad to
> > handle
> > > from all the nuts on the river. I headed back into one of the back
> > channels
> > > and never saw another boat the rest of the day. Most of the other
> > fisherman
> > > didn't go out that weekend, and the jet skis and wake boarders can't

BassMr
August 31st, 2004, 02:58 PM
Lose your life in the Cumberland?? Heck,the worst thing I have seen on that
river was the 250# naked woman packing heat!
Also,now is the time to be on the Cumberland chasing those big stripers like
the pic you posted.
Whatever happened to Adventure Charles? :)
> [...]
and
> > > within a few minutes, I was reaching over the port side and lipping
the
> > bass
> > > over the rail. She weighed 4lbs and some odd ounces.
> > >
> > > That was the biggest fish of the night, but in the four short hours
that
> > > spent on the lake, I managed three more on the Powerworm, and four
more
> on
> > > our new Moonlight Snack spinnerbait. If I were fishing a tournament, I
> > > probably would have weighed in around 11lbs. Not bad for Percy
Priest...
> > but
> > > it kinda makes me sad that I missed our club tournament the weekend
> > before.
> > >
> > > Hope y'all did well this weekend. I'll post some of my self portraits

Jason
September 1st, 2004, 12:19 AM
6.5 lb one caught saturday night ...

> [...]

> exploration
> > of
> > > the Cumberland River system. Then again, my fishing time has been
> severely
> > > limited, but I gotten to see parts of the USA that I thought I'd never
> > see.
> > > Well, Las Vegas and Lake Mead anyway. It's just too bad that I didn't
> get
> > > fish it.
> > >
> > > But Okeechobee! WOW what a lake!!!
> > >
> > > I've had fun, fishing in Dale Hollow, Center Hill, Okeechobee, Old
> > Hickory,
> > > Percy Priest, and Lake Barkley this year. Next year, I've got to get
> > > Pickwick, Nickajack, Tims Ford, Kentucky Lake, Chickamauga, Douglas,
> > > Reelfoot, Watts Bar, Woods, Norris, Cherokee, and Boone Lake. With all
> of
> > > these lake here in Tennessee... there's really no reason to risk

Lure builder
September 1st, 2004, 12:58 AM
If your not fishing til labour day maybe you can also cease posting for the
same period.

Lure builder
September 1st, 2004, 12:58 AM
If your not fishing til labour day maybe you can also cease posting for the
same period.

Charles Summers
September 1st, 2004, 01:14 AM
If I remember correctly, you fish Priest too... right?

Congrats, especially if that one came from Priest!

"Jason" > wrote in message
> 6.5 lb one caught saturday night ...
>

> "Charles Summers" > wrote in message
> > Where is SEVEN POUND SMALLMOUTH???
> >
> > I keep hearing stories about a 10lb LM being caught this year out of
> Priest!
> > Apparently this is fact, but I still can't find any proof. I think it
was
> > in April while I was out of town.
> >

> > "go-bassn" > wrote in message
> > > SEVEN POUND SMALLMOUTH...
> > >
> > > ...that's no reason???
> > >
> > > Warren

> > exploration
> > > of
> > severely
> > > see.
> > get

> > > Hickory,
> > of
> losing
> > > your

> that
> > > the
> out

> > seem
> everyone
> > > is
> > lake

> was
> > > in
> > > again...
> > four
> cup
> on

> Just
> > > one.
> dynamite
> > if
> log,
> > so
> bead,
> > > and
> > was

> the
> > > finally
> > when
> bait
> > > and
> > of
> hook
> > > and
> lipping
> > > the

> hours
> > > that
> > > more
> tournament,
> > > Priest...
> weekend

> > portraits
> > > as

Jason
September 1st, 2004, 01:42 AM
wish i did, it was a club tournament my pal fished in, pictures he got were
great.

havent ventured on priest yet, fishing old hickory mostly

> [...]
> four
> > tournament,
> > weekend

> > > portraits

Jason
September 1st, 2004, 01:42 AM
wish i did, it was a club tournament my pal fished in, pictures he got were
great.

havent ventured on priest yet, fishing old hickory mostly

"Charles Summers" > wrote in message
> If I remember correctly, you fish Priest too... right?
>
> Congrats, especially if that one came from Priest!
>
> "Jason" > wrote in message
> > 6.5 lb one caught saturday night ...
> >

> > "Charles Summers" > wrote in message
> > > Where is SEVEN POUND SMALLMOUTH???
> > >
> > > I keep hearing stories about a 10lb LM being caught this year out of
> > Priest!
> > > Apparently this is fact, but I still can't find any proof. I think it

Charles Summers
September 1st, 2004, 02:41 PM
I've been hearing good things about Old Hickory and been talking about
getting back over there. Problem is, I'm usually fishing at night during the
summer, and I haven't been on OH enough to really learn the lake to fish it
at night. Maybe if I stayed around the lower end, but everything I've heard
has been in the upper areas.

"Jason" > wrote in message
> wish i did, it was a club tournament my pal fished in, pictures he got
were
> great.
>
> havent ventured on priest yet, fishing old hickory mostly
>

> "Charles Summers" > wrote in message
> > If I remember correctly, you fish Priest too... right?
> >
> > Congrats, especially if that one came from Priest!
> >
> > "Jason" > wrote in message
> > > 6.5 lb one caught saturday night ...

Jason
September 1st, 2004, 11:03 PM
I organized a small tournament for the hospitals that myself and my buddies
work at . We launch out of Cedar Creek or langfords cove every other week.
We all throw in 15$ and do a big fish / total weight payout. Sometimes we
have 10 boats sometimes 2, fun non the less.

Im the opposite, i know old hickory and never really had much experience
with priest. I live 5 miles from either lake, so either would be
convienient.

"Charles Summers" > wrote in message
> I've been hearing good things about Old Hickory and been talking about
> getting back over there. Problem is, I'm usually fishing at night during
the
> summer, and I haven't been on OH enough to really learn the lake to fish
it
> at night. Maybe if I stayed around the lower end, but everything I've
heard
> has been in the upper areas.
>

> "Jason" > wrote in message
> > wish i did, it was a club tournament my pal fished in, pictures he got
> were
> > great.
> >
> > havent ventured on priest yet, fishing old hickory mostly
> >

> > "Charles Summers" > wrote in message
> > > If I remember correctly, you fish Priest too... right?
> > >
> > > Congrats, especially if that one came from Priest!

Charles Summers
September 2nd, 2004, 02:44 PM
What nights? I'm sure I could stand to lose $15, in order to meet some of
you guys.

"Jason" > wrote in message
> I organized a small tournament for the hospitals that myself and my
buddies
> work at . We launch out of Cedar Creek or langfords cove every other week.
> We all throw in 15$ and do a big fish / total weight payout. Sometimes we
> have 10 boats sometimes 2, fun non the less.
>
> Im the opposite, i know old hickory and never really had much experience
> with priest. I live 5 miles from either lake, so either would be
> convienient.
>

> "Charles Summers" > wrote in message
> > I've been hearing good things about Old Hickory and been talking about
> > getting back over there. Problem is, I'm usually fishing at night during
> the
> > summer, and I haven't been on OH enough to really learn the lake to fish
> it
> > at night. Maybe if I stayed around the lower end, but everything I've
> heard
> > has been in the upper areas.
> >

> > "Jason" > wrote in message
> > > wish i did, it was a club tournament my pal fished in, pictures he got
> > were
> > > great.
> > >
> > > havent ventured on priest yet, fishing old hickory mostly

BassMr
September 2nd, 2004, 06:13 PM
By the way Charles,how did you do on those spots I told you about when you
fished over here with your fishing club? You never mentioned if they worked
out or not. :)
"Charles Summers" > wrote in message
> What nights? I'm sure I could stand to lose $15, in order to meet some of
> you guys.
>

> "Jason" > wrote in message
> > I organized a small tournament for the hospitals that myself and my
> buddies
> > work at . We launch out of Cedar Creek or langfords cove every other
week.
> > We all throw in 15$ and do a big fish / total weight payout. Sometimes
we
> > have 10 boats sometimes 2, fun non the less.
> >
> > Im the opposite, i know old hickory and never really had much experience
> > with priest. I live 5 miles from either lake, so either would be
> > convienient.
> >

> > "Charles Summers" > wrote in message
> > > I've been hearing good things about Old Hickory and been talking about
> > > getting back over there. Problem is, I'm usually fishing at night
during
> > the
> > > summer, and I haven't been on OH enough to really learn the lake to
fish
> > it
> > > at night. Maybe if I stayed around the lower end, but everything I've
> > heard
> > > has been in the upper areas.

> > > were

BassMr
September 2nd, 2004, 06:13 PM
By the way Charles,how did you do on those spots I told you about when you
fished over here with your fishing club? You never mentioned if they worked
out or not. :)
"Charles Summers" > wrote in message
> What nights? I'm sure I could stand to lose $15, in order to meet some of
> you guys.
>

> "Jason" > wrote in message
> > I organized a small tournament for the hospitals that myself and my
> buddies
> > work at . We launch out of Cedar Creek or langfords cove every other
week.
> > We all throw in 15$ and do a big fish / total weight payout. Sometimes
we
> > have 10 boats sometimes 2, fun non the less.
> >
> > Im the opposite, i know old hickory and never really had much experience
> > with priest. I live 5 miles from either lake, so either would be
> > convienient.
> >

> > "Charles Summers" > wrote in message
> > > I've been hearing good things about Old Hickory and been talking about
> > > getting back over there. Problem is, I'm usually fishing at night
during
> > the
> > > summer, and I haven't been on OH enough to really learn the lake to
fish
> > it
> > > at night. Maybe if I stayed around the lower end, but everything I've
> > heard
> > > has been in the upper areas.

> > > were

Jason
September 3rd, 2004, 12:42 AM
i believe we fish sept 11 in the am, ill check our schedule at work tommorow