PDA

View Full Version : Is this legit???

Charles B. Summers
August 31st, 2004, 05:20 AM
http://www.fishing-forum.com/

Click on bass fishing to read everything we've ever posted. Can they do
this?

Budd Cochran
August 31st, 2004, 06:00 AM
Well, it looks to me like I'd better watch what I say . . .

Budd

"Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message
. ..
> http://www.fishing-forum.com/
>
> Click on bass fishing to read everything we've ever posted. Can they do
> this?

Budd Cochran
August 31st, 2004, 06:00 AM
Well, it looks to me like I'd better watch what I say . . .

Budd

"Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message
. ..
> http://www.fishing-forum.com/
>
> Click on bass fishing to read everything we've ever posted. Can they do
> this?

Todd Copeland
August 31st, 2004, 01:01 PM
"Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message
. ..
> http://www.fishing-forum.com/
>
> Click on bass fishing to read everything we've ever posted. Can they do
> this?

It's certainly not claiming to be anything but a portal to Usenet. There is
a link at thge bottom to remove your email address from it's system. Of
course, this would require that you post in this group with your real
address as it sends an email confirmation to the address entered.

Christopher P. Cericola
August 31st, 2004, 01:21 PM
"Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message
. ..
< Click on bass fishing to read everything we've ever posted. Can they do
this? >

It's just a web client newsreader.

Christopher

Bob La Londe
August 31st, 2004, 02:43 PM
Nothing different than groups.google.com does with usenet. There used to be
a lot of web portals for usenet out there. I think a lot of people have the
thought that web based usenet access is going to save usenet. There are a
lot of people who don't have a clue what usenet is.

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing

"Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message
. ..
> http://www.fishing-forum.com/
>
> Click on bass fishing to read everything we've ever posted. Can they do
> this?

Gale Ann
August 31st, 2004, 03:42 PM
This isn't, we don't have an option...

Privacy
fishing-forum.com is a public site and therefore messages shown on
fishing-forum.com are not private. You agree that others may read messages
without your knowledge which appear on fishing-forum.com.

"Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message
. ..
> http://www.fishing-forum.com/
>
> Click on bass fishing to read everything we've ever posted. Can they do
> this?

Gale Ann
August 31st, 2004, 03:42 PM
This isn't, we don't have an option...

Privacy
fishing-forum.com is a public site and therefore messages shown on
fishing-forum.com are not private. You agree that others may read messages
without your knowledge which appear on fishing-forum.com.

"Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message
. ..
> http://www.fishing-forum.com/
>
> Click on bass fishing to read everything we've ever posted. Can they do
> this?

dscotts
August 31st, 2004, 04:21 PM
Charles B. Summers wrote:
> http://www.fishing-forum.com/
>
> Click on bass fishing to read everything we've ever posted. Can they do
> this?

and while you're nosing around the Usenet try this place, pay special
interest to the lower section to see an individual's profile on all of
Usenet. lays you open like a used book for all to see. I see that you,
like most in this group are of no mystery or intrigue, its all fishing
on the Usenet for the regulars.

I use it at times when a loon is posting something and I want a get a
further glimpse into where the character is coming from by seeing where
else the guy participates and how often. I'm a big NFL NG guy and you
should see the numbnut trolls we get in there and sometimes their
profile is equally loony.

http://netscan.research.microsoft.com/Static/reportcard.asp?timespan=m&searchdate=6/13/2004&searchfor=rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

here's the link for this group. but you can use this place for any
group, any individual address, any time period!!!

Bob La Londe
August 31st, 2004, 07:02 PM
If you post to usenet it is public. Do you have some private usenet posting
method that I have never heard of?

"Gale Ann" > wrote in message
> This isn't, we don't have an option...
>
> Privacy
> fishing-forum.com is a public site and therefore messages shown on
> fishing-forum.com are not private. You agree that others may read messages
> without your knowledge which appear on fishing-forum.com.
>
> "Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > http://www.fishing-forum.com/
> >
> > Click on bass fishing to read everything we've ever posted. Can they do
> > this?

SimRacer
August 31st, 2004, 07:16 PM
"Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message
. ..
> http://www.fishing-forum.com/
>
> Click on bass fishing to read everything we've ever posted. Can they do
> this?

Looks to be legit Charles, but I have to tell you that Google has been
archiving USENET posts for years, so the idea is not new. I once went back
on Google and found my first ever USENET post (years ago) and it was freaky
that it was still around. The even worse news is that prior to Al Gore
actually inventing the internet, we used to have what was called FIDONET,
and computers had to dial up each other (usually other BBSs) and update
headers/bodies every night. But it worked a lot like this does, it just
wasn't instant/nearly instant feedback like USENET has become. You had to
dial into your BBS, goto their FIDO section and then there were groups there
similar to today's USENET. Wow were those the days...LOL! I wanna say I was
quite the FIDO head from about 1990 until 1993 and dialup internet access
became available to us non-college students and non-governement/military
folks. I still think there are some FIDO newsgroups here on USENET. Here's
hoping those aren't al acrhived all the way back, else they'd go into the
1980s...

SimRacer
August 31st, 2004, 07:16 PM
"Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message
. ..
> http://www.fishing-forum.com/
>
> Click on bass fishing to read everything we've ever posted. Can they do
> this?

Looks to be legit Charles, but I have to tell you that Google has been
archiving USENET posts for years, so the idea is not new. I once went back
on Google and found my first ever USENET post (years ago) and it was freaky
that it was still around. The even worse news is that prior to Al Gore
actually inventing the internet, we used to have what was called FIDONET,
and computers had to dial up each other (usually other BBSs) and update
headers/bodies every night. But it worked a lot like this does, it just
wasn't instant/nearly instant feedback like USENET has become. You had to
dial into your BBS, goto their FIDO section and then there were groups there
similar to today's USENET. Wow were those the days...LOL! I wanna say I was
quite the FIDO head from about 1990 until 1993 and dialup internet access
became available to us non-college students and non-governement/military
folks. I still think there are some FIDO newsgroups here on USENET. Here's
hoping those aren't al acrhived all the way back, else they'd go into the
1980s...

Scott Seidman
August 31st, 2004, 08:27 PM
"Charles B. Summers" > wrote in news:Z%SYc.68018
:

> http://www.fishing-forum.com/
>
> Click on bass fishing to read everything we've ever posted. Can they do
> this?

Perfectly legit. They just built a web interface for nntp service, and
wallah. Pretty creepy thing to do, and it can really turn up the noise
level.

Scott

Scott Seidman
August 31st, 2004, 08:27 PM
"Charles B. Summers" > wrote in news:Z%SYc.68018
:

> http://www.fishing-forum.com/
>
> Click on bass fishing to read everything we've ever posted. Can they do
> this?

Perfectly legit. They just built a web interface for nntp service, and
wallah. Pretty creepy thing to do, and it can really turn up the noise
level.

Scott

BradS
August 31st, 2004, 08:30 PM
I've reread stuff I've posted to usenet back in '93, using Google's search engine. I found it kind
of sentimental :)

B~

"SimRacer" > wrote in message
> "Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message
> . ..

alwaysfishking
August 31st, 2004, 09:10 PM
Just punch your screen name on yahoo and see what comes up. Except you
Charles, your the exception. But there are still a few things out there. I
was suprised to see my name come up on yahoo for the roster for the 2002 NWC
amongst other things

"Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> "Charles B. Summers" > wrote in news:Z%SYc.68018
> :
>
> > http://www.fishing-forum.com/
> >
> > Click on bass fishing to read everything we've ever posted. Can they do
> > this?
> >

> Perfectly legit. They just built a web interface for nntp service, and
> wallah. Pretty creepy thing to do, and it can really turn up the noise
> level.
>
> Scott

alwaysfishking
August 31st, 2004, 09:10 PM
Just punch your screen name on yahoo and see what comes up. Except you
Charles, your the exception. But there are still a few things out there. I
was suprised to see my name come up on yahoo for the roster for the 2002 NWC
amongst other things

"Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> "Charles B. Summers" > wrote in news:Z%SYc.68018
> :
>
> > http://www.fishing-forum.com/
> >
> > Click on bass fishing to read everything we've ever posted. Can they do
> > this?
> >

> Perfectly legit. They just built a web interface for nntp service, and
> wallah. Pretty creepy thing to do, and it can really turn up the noise
> level.
>
> Scott

Bob La Londe
August 31st, 2004, 11:53 PM
"SimRacer" > wrote in message
> "Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > http://www.fishing-forum.com/
> >
> > Click on bass fishing to read everything we've ever posted. Can they do
> > this?
> >

> Looks to be legit Charles, but I have to tell you that Google has been
> archiving USENET posts for years, so the idea is not new. I once went back
> on Google and found my first ever USENET post (years ago) and it was
freaky
> that it was still around. The even worse news is that prior to Al Gore
> actually inventing the internet, we used to have what was called FIDONET,
> and computers had to dial up each other (usually other BBSs) and update
> headers/bodies every night. But it worked a lot like this does, it just
> wasn't instant/nearly instant feedback like USENET has become. You had to
> dial into your BBS, goto their FIDO section and then there were groups
there
> similar to today's USENET. Wow were those the days...LOL! I wanna say I
was
> quite the FIDO head from about 1990 until 1993 and dialup internet access
> became available to us non-college students and non-governement/military
> folks. I still think there are some FIDO newsgroups here on USENET. Here's
> hoping those aren't al acrhived all the way back, else they'd go into the
> 1980s...

FIDO, RIME, and RELAY net. There were a couple others too. I remember
using them all. Wow! I actually used to look forward to the next day when
I might see some replies to an interesting topic.

Reminds me of when I got my PP 9600 with compression. I traded a motorcycle
for it. All my computer geek buddies would come over to my place with their
list of accounts and passwords to use my modem.

Bob
www.YumaBassMan.com

Bob La Londe
August 31st, 2004, 11:58 PM
"Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> "Charles B. Summers" > wrote in news:Z%SYc.68018
> :
>
> > http://www.fishing-forum.com/
> >
> > Click on bass fishing to read everything we've ever posted. Can they do
> > this?
> >

> Perfectly legit. They just built a web interface for nntp service, and
> wallah. Pretty creepy thing to do, and it can really turn up the noise
> level.
>
> Scott

Creepy? There are tons of sites that interface all or part of Usenet. I'm
just glad I can read ROFB from any computer that has net access. I usually
use Google if I don't have my laptop with me, but I actually wanted to add a
ROFB usenet interface to rofb.net a while back.

Most either website that interface nntp either go to a strict registration
or just get tired and shut it down, but that one has been up for a while. I
remember seeing come up on searches many times in the past.

Bob
www.YumaBassMan.com

Scott Seidman
September 1st, 2004, 12:20 AM
"Bob La Londe" > wrote in
:

> "Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
> . 1.4...
>> "Charles B. Summers" > wrote in
>> news:Z%SYc.68018 :
>>
>> > http://www.fishing-forum.com/
>> >
>> > Click on bass fishing to read everything we've ever posted. Can
>> > they do this?
>> >

>> Perfectly legit. They just built a web interface for nntp service,
>> and wallah. Pretty creepy thing to do, and it can really turn up the
>> noise level.
>>
>> Scott
>
> Creepy? There are tons of sites that interface all or part of Usenet.
> I'm just glad I can read ROFB from any computer that has net access.
> I usually use Google if I don't have my laptop with me, but I actually
> wanted to add a ROFB usenet interface to rofb.net a while back.
>
> Most either website that interface nntp either go to a strict
> registration or just get tired and shut it down, but that one has been
> up for a while. I remember seeing come up on searches many times in
> the past.
>
> Bob
> www.YumaBassMan.com

I'd be suspicious that many sites that require strict registration are
harvesting addies for spammers. Others are just trying to get hits for
their advertisers, when users can do the same with no ads.

Note that fishing-forum no longer allows posting from their web host
because of abusive posts coming from their site. They do provide
instructions for nntp-access. This makes them one of the good guys.
Note also that they don't have a privacy policy that says they won't use
your email address for anything. I suppose that's moot, because they
don't allow posting, and I don't know if they ever required registration.

Scott

Scott Seidman
September 1st, 2004, 12:20 AM
"Bob La Londe" > wrote in