PDA

View Full Version : First Guiding Experience

Chris Rennert
August 31st, 2004, 09:15 PM
Hey all,

Tonight I am doing my first stint at guiding. One of my wife's co-workers
who does not fish a whole heck of a lot wants to go out and catch some fish
on Winnebago. I would like to start guiding on Winnebago so this will be my
first test to see if I like it, and if people I never met before like me
:-D. Hopefully it turns out for everyone.

Take care,

Chris

John Kerr
August 31st, 2004, 11:02 PM
First Guiding Experience

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Tue, Aug 31, 2004, 3:15pm From:
(Chris=A0Rennert)
Hey all,
Tonight I am doing my first stint at guiding. One of my wife's
co-workers who does not fish a whole heck of a lot wants to go out and
catch some fish on Winnebago. I would like to start guiding on Winnebago
so this will be my first test to see if I like it, and if people I never
met before like me :-D. Hopefully it turns out for everyone.
Take care,
Chris
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Good luck Chris, but I suspect you won't need luck...your concern is
what counts!
JK

John Kerr
August 31st, 2004, 11:02 PM
First Guiding Experience

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Tue, Aug 31, 2004, 3:15pm From:
(Chris=A0Rennert)
Hey all,
Tonight I am doing my first stint at guiding. One of my wife's
co-workers who does not fish a whole heck of a lot wants to go out and
catch some fish on Winnebago. I would like to start guiding on Winnebago
so this will be my first test to see if I like it, and if people I never
met before like me :-D. Hopefully it turns out for everyone.
Take care,
Chris
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Good luck Chris, but I suspect you won't need luck...your concern is
what counts!
JK

Scott Seidman
August 31st, 2004, 11:57 PM
"Chris Rennert" > wrote in
:

> Hey all,
>
> Tonight I am doing my first stint at guiding. One of my wife's
> co-workers who does not fish a whole heck of a lot wants to go out and
> catch some fish on Winnebago. I would like to start guiding on
> Winnebago so this will be my first test to see if I like it, and if
> people I never met before like me
>:-D. Hopefully it turns out for everyone.
>
> Take care,
>
> Chris

Good luck, have fun, and keep your sport happy.

If you plan to do this more regularly, though, a quick internet search
shows that WI (where I think Winnebago is, anyway) requires guides to be
licensed (at least there are plenty of WI guides who claim to be licensed)
through the WI DNR. There are states, like PA, where anybody can call
himself a guide, but I don't think WI is one of them.

NY state requires guides to be licensed, carry insurance, and have some
training in first aid. If it were me, I'd carry insurance whether it were
required or not. There's a surprising amount of liability--think about
driving a sport to the ER with a hook in his hand. In fact, until I were
insured, I'd never consider accepting money for services. I'd take a
"friend" fishing, but I wouldn't guide them.

Scott

Scott Seidman
August 31st, 2004, 11:57 PM
"Chris Rennert" > wrote in
:

> Hey all,
>
> Tonight I am doing my first stint at guiding. One of my wife's
> co-workers who does not fish a whole heck of a lot wants to go out and
> catch some fish on Winnebago. I would like to start guiding on
> Winnebago so this will be my first test to see if I like it, and if
> people I never met before like me
>:-D. Hopefully it turns out for everyone.
>
> Take care,
>
> Chris

Good luck, have fun, and keep your sport happy.

If you plan to do this more regularly, though, a quick internet search
shows that WI (where I think Winnebago is, anyway) requires guides to be
licensed (at least there are plenty of WI guides who claim to be licensed)
through the WI DNR. There are states, like PA, where anybody can call
himself a guide, but I don't think WI is one of them.

NY state requires guides to be licensed, carry insurance, and have some
training in first aid. If it were me, I'd carry insurance whether it were
required or not. There's a surprising amount of liability--think about
driving a sport to the ER with a hook in his hand. In fact, until I were
insured, I'd never consider accepting money for services. I'd take a
"friend" fishing, but I wouldn't guide them.

Scott

go-bassn
September 1st, 2004, 01:08 AM
Dude, how much cash are you charging him?

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com

"Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hey all,
>
> Tonight I am doing my first stint at guiding. One of my wife's co-workers
> who does not fish a whole heck of a lot wants to go out and catch some
fish
> on Winnebago. I would like to start guiding on Winnebago so this will be
my
> first test to see if I like it, and if people I never met before like me
> :-D. Hopefully it turns out for everyone.
>
> Take care,
>
> Chris

go-bassn
September 1st, 2004, 01:08 AM
Dude, how much cash are you charging him?

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

"Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hey all,
>
> Tonight I am doing my first stint at guiding. One of my wife's co-workers
> who does not fish a whole heck of a lot wants to go out and catch some
fish
> on Winnebago. I would like to start guiding on Winnebago so this will be
my
> first test to see if I like it, and if people I never met before like me
> :-D. Hopefully it turns out for everyone.
>
> Take care,
>
> Chris

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
September 1st, 2004, 01:59 AM
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:15:15 -0500, "Chris Rennert"
> sent into the ether:

>Hey all,
>
>Tonight I am doing my first stint at guiding. One of my wife's co-workers
>who does not fish a whole heck of a lot wants to go out and catch some fish
>on Winnebago. I would like to start guiding on Winnebago so this will be my
>first test to see if I like it, and if people I never met before like me
Why shouldn't they, oh ya, that's right. :<}
>:-D. Hopefully it turns out for everyone.
>
>Take care,
>
>Chris

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
September 1st, 2004, 01:59 AM
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:15:15 -0500, "Chris Rennert"
> sent into the ether:

>Hey all,
>
>Tonight I am doing my first stint at guiding. One of my wife's co-workers
>who does not fish a whole heck of a lot wants to go out and catch some fish
>on Winnebago. I would like to start guiding on Winnebago so this will be my
>first test to see if I like it, and if people I never met before like me
Why shouldn't they, oh ya, that's right. :<}
>:-D. Hopefully it turns out for everyone.
>
>Take care,
>
>Chris

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Chris Rennert
September 1st, 2004, 04:19 AM
Scott,

Yeah here in Wisconsin you have to be licensed. I apologize, I guess I used
the term "Guide" must to loosely. I was pretty much playing guide tonight
for a person that didn't fish a whole heck of a lot. From the way it went
tonight, if every client would be as excited as he was , then guiding is
definitely something I could do. Talking with Steve and other friends that
guide, I definitely know that is not always the case. But tonight was
encouraging :-D

Chris Rennert
"Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> [...]

> > Take care,
> >
> > Chris
> >

> Good luck, have fun, and keep your sport happy.
>
> If you plan to do this more regularly, though, a quick internet search
> shows that WI (where I think Winnebago is, anyway) requires guides to be
> licensed (at least there are plenty of WI guides who claim to be licensed)
> through the WI DNR. There are states, like PA, where anybody can call
> himself a guide, but I don't think WI is one of them.
>
> NY state requires guides to be licensed, carry insurance, and have some
> training in first aid. If it were me, I'd carry insurance whether it were
> required or not. There's a surprising amount of liability--think about
> driving a sport to the ER with a hook in his hand. In fact, until I were
> insured, I'd never consider accepting money for services. I'd take a
> "friend" fishing, but I wouldn't guide them.

Chris Rennert
September 1st, 2004, 01:52 PM
Warren,

I was just taking him out for nothing, just to put him on some fish. I am
not a licensed guide (yet). My wife just said he wanted to go out and fish
with me and have some fun, but he didn't do a lot of fishing and didn't know
a lot.

He caught his first smallie of his life, so that was pretty cool and he got
it on video (he brought along a tripod and a video camera, which stood
pretty stable on the rear deck of the boat :-D).

Chris