PDA

View Full Version : First guiding experience (complete)

Chris Rennert
September 1st, 2004, 04:17 AM
Hey all, pulled off the water about 8:30 and here are the results. Got to
the first spot at about 5:05pm, I was in the front of the boat and had my
wifes co-worker in the back of the boat. I decided to throw a buzz bait and
maybe get a little flurry going while I rigged him up with a tube. I
accidentally caught 4 fish in 6 casts on the buzzbait and didn't take
another cast the rest of the evening (short evening). He proceeded to catch
3 fish off the tube in the same area. He fished it for another 20 minutes
without a bite so we decided to hit another spot . We could have probably
milked it for a few more, but I thought what the heck, lets go get some more
fish.
We pulled up on the second spot and I didn't even pick up a rod. I just
said cast here, and cast there, and he proceeded to pull 3 fish on his first
3 casts, and on his fourth cast lost about a 15.5" Smallie at the side of
the boat. on his 6 th cast he landed one about 14.5". He was so excited,
he said it was the most fish he had caught since a trip to Canada 2 years
earlier. Well I told him, that the quantity was good, but the quality left
more to be desired. So we packed it up and fired up the big motor and
started heading south back towards Oshkosh and a few clutch spots I have
down there.
Well we got about 200 yards away from the spot we had just fished and we
were running a good 60 mph when all fo a sudden (over 15ft of water mind
you) there is a quick whining sound and then the motor starts to shake
violently. Instantly I am off the throttle and in neutral. Every time I
would put it back into gear it would shake violently, so I pretty much had
to crawl back to a launch (where I had my wife pick up my truck at our
original launch and meet me at the closer one). When I pulled the boat out
of the water I clearly saw what the problem was. SOMEHOW, my stainless
steel prop was no longer a 3 blade, it was now a 2 blade. I am guessing
that had something to do with teh poor performance I was just experiencing
from my outboard :-D. So needless to say that was the end of our trip.
He was still excited, and thanked me over and over again for helping him
catch a few fish. So the loss of a $500 prop was worth it (NOT)... But fun
non-the-less.

Chris Rennert

go-bassn
September 1st, 2004, 04:28 AM
Great job Chris!

WW

--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com

go-bassn
September 1st, 2004, 04:28 AM
Great job Chris!

WW

--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

"Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
> Hey all, pulled off the water about 8:30 and here are the results. Got to
> the first spot at about 5:05pm, I was in the front of the boat and had my
> wifes co-worker in the back of the boat. I decided to throw a buzz bait
and
> maybe get a little flurry going while I rigged him up with a tube. I
> accidentally caught 4 fish in 6 casts on the buzzbait and didn't take
> another cast the rest of the evening (short evening). He proceeded to
catch
> 3 fish off the tube in the same area. He fished it for another 20 minutes
> without a bite so we decided to hit another spot . We could have probably
> milked it for a few more, but I thought what the heck, lets go get some
more
> fish.
> We pulled up on the second spot and I didn't even pick up a rod. I just
> said cast here, and cast there, and he proceeded to pull 3 fish on his
first
> 3 casts, and on his fourth cast lost about a 15.5" Smallie at the side of
> the boat. on his 6 th cast he landed one about 14.5". He was so excited,
> he said it was the most fish he had caught since a trip to Canada 2 years
> earlier. Well I told him, that the quantity was good, but the quality
left
> more to be desired. So we packed it up and fired up the big motor and
> started heading south back towards Oshkosh and a few clutch spots I have
> down there.
> Well we got about 200 yards away from the spot we had just fished and we
> were running a good 60 mph when all fo a sudden (over 15ft of water mind
> you) there is a quick whining sound and then the motor starts to shake
> violently. Instantly I am off the throttle and in neutral. Every time I
> would put it back into gear it would shake violently, so I pretty much had
> to crawl back to a launch (where I had my wife pick up my truck at our
> original launch and meet me at the closer one). When I pulled the boat
out
> of the water I clearly saw what the problem was. SOMEHOW, my stainless
> steel prop was no longer a 3 blade, it was now a 2 blade. I am guessing
> that had something to do with teh poor performance I was just experiencing
> from my outboard :-D. So needless to say that was the end of our trip.
> He was still excited, and thanked me over and over again for helping him
> catch a few fish. So the loss of a $500 prop was worth it (NOT)... But
fun
> non-the-less.
>
> Chris Rennert

Rodney
September 1st, 2004, 05:45 AM
Chris Rennert wrote:

So the loss of a $500 prop was worth it (NOT)... But fun
> non-the-less.
>
> Chris Rennert

Chris that sounds like a wield failure, even if you hit something the
whole blade should not have come off , without damaging the other two in
some way,, perhaps your not out 500 dollars. Then again I could be
wrong, but I would pursue that if I were you
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

Rodney
September 1st, 2004, 05:45 AM
Chris Rennert wrote:

So the loss of a $500 prop was worth it (NOT)... But fun
> non-the-less.
>
> Chris Rennert

Chris that sounds like a wield failure, even if you hit something the
whole blade should not have come off , without damaging the other two in
some way,, perhaps your not out 500 dollars. Then again I could be
wrong, but I would pursue that if I were you
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Boomerang Fishing Pro. ,Stand Out Hooks ,Stand Out Lures,
Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, Decoy Activator
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
September 1st, 2004, 12:19 PM
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:17:44 -0500, "Chris Rennert"
> sent into the ether:

>Hey all, pulled off the water about 8:30 and here are the results. Got to
>the first spot at about 5:05pm, I was in the front of the boat and had my
>wifes co-worker in the back of the boat. I decided to throw a buzz bait and
>maybe get a little flurry going while I rigged him up with a tube. I
>accidentally caught 4 fish in 6 casts on the buzzbait and didn't take
>another cast the rest of the evening (short evening). He proceeded to catch
>3 fish off the tube in the same area. He fished it for another 20 minutes
>without a bite so we decided to hit another spot . We could have probably
>milked it for a few more, but I thought what the heck, lets go get some more
>fish.
>We pulled up on the second spot and I didn't even pick up a rod. I just
>said cast here, and cast there, and he proceeded to pull 3 fish on his first
>3 casts, and on his fourth cast lost about a 15.5" Smallie at the side of
>the boat. on his 6 th cast he landed one about 14.5". He was so excited,
>he said it was the most fish he had caught since a trip to Canada 2 years
>earlier. Well I told him, that the quantity was good, but the quality left
>more to be desired. So we packed it up and fired up the big motor and
>started heading south back towards Oshkosh and a few clutch spots I have
>down there.
>Well we got about 200 yards away from the spot we had just fished and we
>were running a good 60 mph when all fo a sudden (over 15ft of water mind
>you) there is a quick whining sound and then the motor starts to shake
>violently. Instantly I am off the throttle and in neutral. Every time I
>would put it back into gear it would shake violently, so I pretty much had
>to crawl back to a launch (where I had my wife pick up my truck at our
>original launch and meet me at the closer one). When I pulled the boat out
>of the water I clearly saw what the problem was. SOMEHOW, my stainless
>steel prop was no longer a 3 blade, it was now a 2 blade. I am guessing
>that had something to do with teh poor performance I was just experiencing
>from my outboard :-D. So needless to say that was the end of our trip.
>He was still excited, and thanked me over and over again for helping him
>catch a few fish. So the loss of a $500 prop was worth it (NOT)... But fun
>non-the-less.
>
>Chris Rennert

Other than the prop, which was very unfortunate, you did what you said
and put him on fish. Sounds like a good job Chris.

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
September 1st, 2004, 12:19 PM
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:17:44 -0500, "Chris Rennert"
> sent into the ether:

>Hey all, pulled off the water about 8:30 and here are the results. Got to
>the first spot at about 5:05pm, I was in the front of the boat and had my
>wifes co-worker in the back of the boat. I decided to throw a buzz bait and
>maybe get a little flurry going while I rigged him up with a tube. I
>accidentally caught 4 fish in 6 casts on the buzzbait and didn't take
>another cast the rest of the evening (short evening). He proceeded to catch
>3 fish off the tube in the same area. He fished it for another 20 minutes
>without a bite so we decided to hit another spot . We could have probably
>milked it for a few more, but I thought what the heck, lets go get some more
>fish.
>We pulled up on the second spot and I didn't even pick up a rod. I just
>said cast here, and cast there, and he proceeded to pull 3 fish on his first
>3 casts, and on his fourth cast lost about a 15.5" Smallie at the side of
>the boat. on his 6 th cast he landed one about 14.5". He was so excited,
>he said it was the most fish he had caught since a trip to Canada 2 years
>earlier. Well I told him, that the quantity was good, but the quality left
>more to be desired. So we packed it up and fired up the big motor and
>started heading south back towards Oshkosh and a few clutch spots I have
>down there.
>Well we got about 200 yards away from the spot we had just fished and we
>were running a good 60 mph when all fo a sudden (over 15ft of water mind
>you) there is a quick whining sound and then the motor starts to shake
>violently. Instantly I am off the throttle and in neutral. Every time I
>would put it back into gear it would shake violently, so I pretty much had
>to crawl back to a launch (where I had my wife pick up my truck at our
>original launch and meet me at the closer one). When I pulled the boat out
>of the water I clearly saw what the problem was. SOMEHOW, my stainless
>steel prop was no longer a 3 blade, it was now a 2 blade. I am guessing
>that had something to do with teh poor performance I was just experiencing
>from my outboard :-D. So needless to say that was the end of our trip.
>He was still excited, and thanked me over and over again for helping him
>catch a few fish. So the loss of a $500 prop was worth it (NOT)... But fun
>non-the-less.
>
>Chris Rennert

Other than the prop, which was very unfortunate, you did what you said
and put him on fish. Sounds like a good job Chris.

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com

RichG
September 2nd, 2004, 02:25 AM
Great job, Chris... if you can guarantee results like that, I'll drive up
from Lake Geneva and we will go out!

Seriously..Years ago, I went SW fishing with a great guide (Jay Watkins) who
has been featured on a number of SW fishing shows. This guy knows his stuff!
He fishes out of Rockport, TX.

I had a couple of clients along and we thought we were going to be catching
the heck out of Speckled trout and Redfish. We run about 1/2 mile from the
launch and his motor quit. He didn't know what the trouble was, but the
motor wasn't going anywhere that day. He used his radio and gets a tow back
in. He arranges to use a fellow guide's boat that day. Same model and
everything. Boy were we excited.

15 or 20 minutes later, after transferring the bait and tackle, etc. .. he
was still trying to get the motor started in his compatriot's boat.
Suddenly..he stops.,, reaches down...and puts the motor safety plug back
into the console.....blam...the motor starts and we proceed. it was an hour
after our expected launch.......to take us fishing....

Crap happens to guides too. He didn't use his safety plug, the other guy
did it.... religiously.

Every day I learn something on the water.

RichG
--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

Lure builder
September 2nd, 2004, 11:52 AM
I don't know much about it but i would think it would be a stressful
undertaking. There is a lot of prep work and behind the scene work. There is
the stress to preform and you are dealing with a sometimes the unpredictable
public.

Lure builder
September 2nd, 2004, 11:52 AM
I don't know much about it but i would think it would be a stressful
undertaking. There is a lot of prep work and behind the scene work. There is
the stress to preform and you are dealing with a sometimes the unpredictable
public.

Chris Rennert
September 2nd, 2004, 01:38 PM
Master of the obvious you are, and yes, having a library card does make me
Yoda!

Chris
"Lure builder" > wrote in message
>I don't know much about it but i would think it would be a stressful
> undertaking. There is a lot of prep work and behind the scene work. There
> is
> the stress to preform and you are dealing with a sometimes the
> unpredictable
> public.

Dan Krueger
September 2nd, 2004, 11:14 PM
"i"
"behind the scene"
"preform"
"a sometime the"

If he HAS a library card, he isn't checking out the dictionary...

Chris Rennert wrote:

> Master of the obvious you are, and yes, having a library card does make me
> Yoda!
>
> Chris
> "Lure builder" > wrote in message
>
>>I don't know much about it but i would think it would be a stressful
>>undertaking. There is a lot of prep work and behind the scene work. There
>>is
>>the stress to preform and you are dealing with a sometimes the
>>unpredictable
>>public.

Lure builder
September 3rd, 2004, 12:00 AM
I myself was thinking of doing some guiding in a niche fishing situation in
the barren lands. Creating such a small scale commercial enterprise will allow
me to get established and defray some of my expenses for my own fishing needs.
It's an ambitious enterprise but it can be done.