PDA

View Full Version : Triton Fish n Ski

Shawn
September 1st, 2004, 05:36 PM
Hello :

I'm looking to sell my 2002 Lund 1850 with a 2003 Honda 115 and maybe go to
a Fish n Ski. I like the Triton's, but the 19' and 21' are recommoneded to
be paired with a 200hp which I'm not sure about for general fishing
purposes.

The reason why I'm considering selling it is that I've lately started doing
bass tournaments and really enjoy it. I've always fished bass, but I'm not
strictly a bass fisherman. I like to troll a little bit in the spring for
trout and salmon stocked in my local lakes and also troll for muskie once in
a while. My Lund has livewells, 55lb Minn Kota trolling motor, 2 graphs,
on-board charger etc etc - it's nicely set up. But I can see it's
limitations for bass fishing - namely speed and casting deck room. Plus,
the Lund sits higher and on windy days the 55lb minn kota can't hold the
boat very well. The other reason is that my wife loves to be out in the
boat but not necessarily fish all the time, and she doesn't really like the
Lund because she say's it's not that comfortable. Plus, for a woman, she's
a gear-head ! She loves sleek looking fast machines, and the 115 I guess
just doesn't cut it for her !

So - my question is, can I still occasionally troll etc with a 19' or 21'
fish n ski and Honda 4-stroke 200hp ? I know there are trolling plates, sea
anchors etc etc but do they work ?

Thanks !

Shawn

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
September 1st, 2004, 07:35 PM
Hi Shawn,

Look for my answers in the body of the text, after the ***

"Shawn" <non@non> wrote in message
> Hello :
>
> I'm looking to sell my 2002 Lund 1850 with a 2003 Honda 115 and maybe go
> a Fish n Ski. I like the Triton's, but the 19' and 21' are recommoneded
> be paired with a 200hp which I'm not sure about for general fishing
> purposes.

***There's nothing wrong with 200+ horsepower on the back of a fishing boat.
I'd rather have too much horsepower than not enough. My boat has a 250
horsepower outboard on and I use it for fishing all the time.

> The reason why I'm considering selling it is that I've lately started
doing
> bass tournaments and really enjoy it. I've always fished bass, but I'm
not
> strictly a bass fisherman. I like to troll a little bit in the spring for
> trout and salmon stocked in my local lakes and also troll for muskie once
in
> a while. My Lund has livewells, 55lb Minn Kota trolling motor, 2 graphs,
> on-board charger etc etc - it's nicely set up. But I can see it's
> limitations for bass fishing - namely speed and casting deck room. Plus,
> the Lund sits higher and on windy days the 55lb minn kota can't hold the
> boat very well.

***You cite several reasons why I won't run the traditional northwoods boat,
a deep vee aluminum model. There've been very few manufacturers that make
an aluminum boat laid out the way I want a fishing boat to be. And those
high sides are little more than sails to push the boat around on windy days.
No thank you.

The other reason is that my wife loves to be out in the
> boat but not necessarily fish all the time, and she doesn't really like
the
> Lund because she say's it's not that comfortable. Plus, for a woman,
she's
> a gear-head ! She loves sleek looking fast machines, and the 115 I guess
> just doesn't cut it for her !

***Nothing wrong with that. Heck, I still like to turn heads on the lake,
and I've found my bassboat to offer a better, and drier ride than any of the
aluminum vee hulls out there. Besides, repeat after me....

"Horsepower is our friend"........

> So - my question is, can I still occasionally troll etc with a 19' or 21'
> fish n ski and Honda 4-stroke 200hp ? I know there are trolling plates,
sea
> anchors etc etc but do they work ?

***There's no reason in the world why you can't occasionally troll with a
19-21 foot bassboat. There are ways to set up a boat, if you approach the
project with a reasonable amount of intelligence and creativity that will
have you trolling as well or better than you ever did with your Lund.

A standard 200 horsepower outboard, typically propped will probably troll
faster than you want. However, the Mercury Optimax outboards offer the
option of equipping the setup with their Smart Gauges, which enable you to
program in the slow rpm's that you'll need for trolling. If I remember
correctly, Yamaha offers a similar system, and the other major manufacturers
probably do as well.

I've been hearing good things about the larger Honda 4 stroke outboards as
well, that might be a company to check into.

But even if you don't opt for the Smart Guages, a trolling plate or sea
anchor will slow you down to the speeds you want for trolling.

Now, I have a question for you. How much skiing and playing are you REALLY
going to be doing with the new boat? Are you going to be fishing the
majority of the time, or are skiing and tubing going to be the main focus of
the boat?

The reason I ask, is that most people that I've known that have gone the
Fish n Ski boat models haven't been really happy with the boat. There's not
enough fishing features on most of them, and equally so, there's not as many
creature comforts as the typical runabout or ski boat.

Think about this long and hard, and look at the Fish n Ski's from an angling
standpoint. If fishing is the major activity and skiing/tubing is way down
on the list of priorities, consider buying a straight fishing boat. I've
towed skiiers and tubers behind my bassboat without difficulty.

It's a lot easier to ski behind a fishing boat than it is to fish out of a
ski boat.

Just my .02!
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

> Thanks !
>
> Shawn

Shawn
September 1st, 2004, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the great opinions and ideas Steve. I agree with all of them.
My Lund deep-V aluminum is exactly what you said - a sail to catch the wind
! Windy days, which I often get on Lake Champlain just throw me around and
wear out my batteries on my trolling motor !

Now -- thinking about the fish n ski vs a straight out bassboat ....... I
would LOVE to buy a straight out bassboat, but I have to think of my wife
and family. My wife is very family and people oriented, and as we all know,
a bass boat has seats for 2 people .... period. My wife likes to take her
brothers, wives, and kids out for a day of fun on the water, and our kids
etc etc ....... you're right when you say days spent fishing will far
outnumber days spent skiing and tubing etc., but I can't justify spending
that kind of money just on ME, you know ? A fish n' ski seems to be a
pretty decent compromise. I realize it won't be optimal for fishing (i.e.
only a single 24-gallon livewell) ..... there will be downsides to it, but
it's better than no boat at all !

Speaking of which, having your own fishing website and all ...... and advice
on selling my Lund ? It's a 2002 Fisherman 1850 with a 2003 Honda 115hp
four-stroke, 55lb minn kota, lowrance x-50 and x-85, on-board charger, full
canvas cover kit, 4-pedstal seats, 1 leaning post full cushion package, Lund
mooring cover, easy loader bunker trailer - 50 hours on the boat. It's in
beautiful shape.

More options than I listed. Any idea where and how to advertise it for
maximum exposure and sale price ? I can't really afford to give it away.
I need to get fair market price for it.

Shawn

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" > wrote in
message ...
> [...]

of
> the boat?
>
> The reason I ask, is that most people that I've known that have gone the
> Fish n Ski boat models haven't been really happy with the boat. There's
not
> enough fishing features on most of them, and equally so, there's not as
many
> creature comforts as the typical runabout or ski boat.
>
> Think about this long and hard, and look at the Fish n Ski's from an
angling
> standpoint. If fishing is the major activity and skiing/tubing is way
down
> on the list of priorities, consider buying a straight fishing boat. I've
> towed skiiers and tubers behind my bassboat without difficulty.
>
> It's a lot easier to ski behind a fishing boat than it is to fish out of a

Huck Palmatier
September 2nd, 2004, 09:36 AM
mooching I could see...but how about back-trolling?

> [...]
of
> the boat?
>
> The reason I ask, is that most people that I've known that have gone the
> Fish n Ski boat models haven't been really happy with the boat. There's
not
> enough fishing features on most of them, and equally so, there's not as
many
> creature comforts as the typical runabout or ski boat.
>
> Think about this long and hard, and look at the Fish n Ski's from an
angling
> standpoint. If fishing is the major activity and skiing/tubing is way
down
> on the list of priorities, consider buying a straight fishing boat. I've
> towed skiiers and tubers behind my bassboat without difficulty.
>
> It's a lot easier to ski behind a fishing boat than it is to fish out of a

Huck Palmatier
September 2nd, 2004, 09:39 AM
....which side of the lake?....Day Bros on RT 9 Plattsburgh has consignment
sales. said Huck

> [...]

> of
> > the boat?
> >
> > The reason I ask, is that most people that I've known that have gone the
> > Fish n Ski boat models haven't been really happy with the boat. There's
> not
> > enough fishing features on most of them, and equally so, there's not as
> many
> > creature comforts as the typical runabout or ski boat.
> >
> > Think about this long and hard, and look at the Fish n Ski's from an
> angling
> > standpoint. If fishing is the major activity and skiing/tubing is way
> down
> > on the list of priorities, consider buying a straight fishing boat.
I've
> > towed skiiers and tubers behind my bassboat without difficulty.
> >
> > It's a lot easier to ski behind a fishing boat than it is to fish out of

Shawn
September 2nd, 2004, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I want to sell it myself. I don't
really want to have someone else sell it for me and then take a cut. I need
all the money back for my next boat !!

"Huck Palmatier" > wrote in message
> [...]

the
> > > Fish n Ski boat models haven't been really happy with the boat.
There's
> > not
> > > enough fishing features on most of them, and equally so, there's not
as
> > many
> > > creature comforts as the typical runabout or ski boat.
> > >
> > > Think about this long and hard, and look at the Fish n Ski's from an
> > angling
> > > standpoint. If fishing is the major activity and skiing/tubing is way
> > down
> > > on the list of priorities, consider buying a straight fishing boat.
> I've
> > > towed skiiers and tubers behind my bassboat without difficulty.
> > >
> > > It's a lot easier to ski behind a fishing boat than it is to fish out

Joe Z
September 4th, 2004, 02:28 AM
Hey Shawn, Try this.
http://www.iboats.com/boatprices.html
This is where I found my last boat. Joe Z.

"