PDA

View Full Version : Recessed Trolling motor pedal

Joshuall
September 2nd, 2004, 12:59 PM
Can anyone share with me which boat mftgs. have as a feature on their boats
the recesses trolling motor pedals. ? Am looking for new boat come spring if
I can sell my current one and that seems like a sweet feature to consider.
Thanks guys/gals.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

go-bassn
September 2nd, 2004, 03:42 PM
Gambler originated the idea. Triton now does it too, not sure which others
are going that route.

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com

"Joshuall" > wrote in message
> Can anyone share with me which boat mftgs. have as a feature on their
boats
> the recesses trolling motor pedals. ? Am looking for new boat come spring
if
> I can sell my current one and that seems like a sweet feature to consider.
> Thanks guys/gals.
>
> --
> God Bless America
>
> Josh The Bad Bear

Fat Bass
September 2nd, 2004, 03:59 PM
I'd say make the motor fit the boat....I have the minnkota rt65ap trolling
motor and the foot pedal is low profile. No complaints here for log/foot
pain from it. The minuses of a recess is... well its "fixed. Minnkota also
has the option of a remote wireless control...

"Joshuall" > wrote in message
> Can anyone share with me which boat mftgs. have as a feature on their
boats
> the recesses trolling motor pedals. ? Am looking for new boat come spring
if
> I can sell my current one and that seems like a sweet feature to consider.
> Thanks guys/gals.
>
> --
> God Bless America
>
> Josh The Bad Bear

Chris S
September 2nd, 2004, 11:16 PM
Ranger also offers that feature now too.

Chris S

"Joshuall" > wrote in message
> Can anyone share with me which boat mftgs. have as a feature on their
boats
> the recesses trolling motor pedals. ? Am looking for new boat come spring
if
> I can sell my current one and that seems like a sweet feature to consider.
> Thanks guys/gals.
>
> --
> God Bless America
>
> Josh The Bad Bear

Andrew Kidd
September 2nd, 2004, 11:53 PM
"Joshuall" > wrote in message
> Can anyone share with me which boat mftgs. have as a feature on their
> boats
> the recesses trolling motor pedals. ? Am looking for new boat come spring
> if
> I can sell my current one and that seems like a sweet feature to consider.
> Thanks guys/gals.
>
> --
> God Bless America
>
> Josh The Bad Bear

Hi Josh,
In April, I purchased a Triton with the recessed foot control, with it
having been a major "have to have" on my list. I can share with you a
little unsolicited review, after having used it for the last four months.
At first, I was tickled to death to get it. My biggest problem was
converting from the MotorGuide with the switch on the right, to the Minn
Kota with the switch on the left. After 11 years on my old boat, this was a
challenge. As recently as last weekend I was still clicking the right side
of the foot control (but just for a moment this time :).
In addition to the switch, I found I had something else I needed to get
used to. The fact that I didn't have that big foot control in front of me
to bump my foot against as a guide to where exactly I was standing on the
deck. This sounds kinda silly, since all I have to do is look down, but
after 11 years on the old boat, I had a real feel for that, and almost never
looked down, except to change the motor speed setting. The new one gives
you very little physical evidence without looking down. After 4 months, I
just about have my new landmarks felt out on the front of the boat, but
still occasionally feel myself stepping on the lip of the well that holds
the foot control. I have not, as was parroted to me by a Ranger loyalist
(which didn't have the feature at the time), "sprained an ankle" on this
feature. Taken together, these things kind of clouded the recessed foot
control's debut.
After all this geting used to, I have found that the control still sits
slightly above floor level, and you still exert some akward hip and foot
angles to spin the motor completely around, but all in all, I'm very pleased
I have it. My lower back has hurt less this year, because I'm not standing
with my hips at an awkward angle (caused by standing on one leg with the
other 4 inches higher).
Another benefit that I have found is that it is MUCH more comfortable to
use from a sitting position, which I seldom did with the old one because of
how uncomfortable it felt. I have found that late in a day, I can kinda
kick back and relax in the seat, and still have total control over the boat,
and still cast and pitch from the seated position. Excellent benefit I
hadn't counted on!...
All in all, I'd give it a high grade, maybe a B+. Considering the high
expectations I had for it, this is pretty good. Best thing is the comfort.
Worst is the stealth mode it creates for itself, without looking down or
figuring out other landmarks.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat...

Oh, and in addition to the others already mentioned, Nitro also offers this
option.

HTH...
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

Andrew Kidd
September 2nd, 2004, 11:53 PM
"Joshuall" > wrote in message
> [...]

other 4 inches higher).
Another benefit that I have found is that it is MUCH more comfortable to
use from a sitting position, which I seldom did with the old one because of
how uncomfortable it felt. I have found that late in a day, I can kinda
kick back and relax in the seat, and still have total control over the boat,
and still cast and pitch from the seated position. Excellent benefit I
hadn't counted on!...
All in all, I'd give it a high grade, maybe a B+. Considering the high
expectations I had for it, this is pretty good. Best thing is the comfort.
Worst is the stealth mode it creates for itself, without looking down or
figuring out other landmarks.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat...

Oh, and in addition to the others already mentioned, Nitro also offers this

Eric Ryder
September 3rd, 2004, 03:06 AM
Andrew, would you care to measure the distance from the pedestal hole to the
near side of the recessed well? I've got a bad back and may just cut one
into the old girl.

"Andrew Kidd" > wrote in message
> [...]

> standing with my hips at an awkward angle (caused by standing on one leg
> with the other 4 inches higher).
> Another benefit that I have found is that it is MUCH more comfortable
> to use from a sitting position, which I seldom did with the old one
> because of how uncomfortable it felt. I have found that late in a day, I
> can kinda kick back and relax in the seat, and still have total control
> over the boat, and still cast and pitch from the seated position.
> Excellent benefit I hadn't counted on!...
> All in all, I'd give it a high grade, maybe a B+. Considering the high
> expectations I had for it, this is pretty good. Best thing is the
> comfort. Worst is the stealth mode it creates for itself, without looking
> down or figuring out other landmarks.
>
> I'd do it again in a heartbeat...
>
> Oh, and in addition to the others already mentioned, Nitro also offers

Chief13amc
September 3rd, 2004, 02:20 PM
I have one on my new Triton..nothing I was looking for but it has been better
than expected.I was always one for moving the pedal all over ther deck
depending on what or how I was fishing.I wouldn't be suprised to see the other
boat builders start to put it on their models. I'll give it A+
Allen
911 Bass Anglers
Bucks County PA

Chief13amc
September 3rd, 2004, 02:20 PM
I have one on my new Triton..nothing I was looking for but it has been better
than expected.I was always one for moving the pedal all over ther deck
depending on what or how I was fishing.I wouldn't be suprised to see the other
boat builders start to put it on their models. I'll give it A+
Allen
911 Bass Anglers
Bucks County PA

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
September 3rd, 2004, 02:34 PM
"Joshuall" > wrote in message
> Can anyone share with me which boat mftgs. have as a feature on their
boats
> the recesses trolling motor pedals. ? Am looking for new boat come spring
if
> I can sell my current one and that seems like a sweet feature to consider.
> Thanks guys/gals.

I too suffer from a lower back injury and so cannot use a trolling motor
with a high foot pedal, well, not if I want to walk the next day that is....

There are several companies that make the trays that can be cut into any
boat deck and installed with a professional appearance. I looked into
getting one of these but decided against it. Maybe for someone that doesn't
guide, it would work well, but I find that I am in different locations in
the boat on any given day.

So, for me, it's a low profile foot pedal. I might have to get one of the
wireless remote controls for my motor.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
September 3rd, 2004, 02:34 PM
"Joshuall" > wrote in message
> Can anyone share with me which boat mftgs. have as a feature on their
boats
> the recesses trolling motor pedals. ? Am looking for new boat come spring
if
> I can sell my current one and that seems like a sweet feature to consider.
> Thanks guys/gals.

I too suffer from a lower back injury and so cannot use a trolling motor
with a high foot pedal, well, not if I want to walk the next day that is....

There are several companies that make the trays that can be cut into any
boat deck and installed with a professional appearance. I looked into
getting one of these but decided against it. Maybe for someone that doesn't
guide, it would work well, but I find that I am in different locations in
the boat on any given day.

So, for me, it's a low profile foot pedal. I might have to get one of the
wireless remote controls for my motor.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
September 3rd, 2004, 02:36 PM
"Joshuall" > wrote in message
> Can anyone share with me which boat mftgs. have as a feature on their
boats
> the recesses trolling motor pedals. ? Am looking for new boat come spring
if
> I can sell my current one and that seems like a sweet feature to consider.
> Thanks guys/gals.

Josh, you coming up for the NWC? You're not that far away.....
--

"Joshuall" > wrote in message
> Can anyone share with me which boat mftgs. have as a feature on their
boats
> the recesses trolling motor pedals. ? Am looking for new boat come spring
if
> I can sell my current one and that seems like a sweet feature to consider.
> Thanks guys/gals.

Josh, you coming up for the NWC? You're not that far away.....
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Andrew Kidd
September 3rd, 2004, 11:44 PM
"Eric Ryder" > wrote in message
> Andrew, would you care to measure the distance from the pedestal hole to
> the near side of the recessed well? I've got a bad back and may just cut
> one into the old girl.

Eric,
Have a look over at APBF. I've posted a pic with the dims. My boat has
two available post locations. You can tell which one I'm using. I'm just
about 6' tall.
--

"Eric Ryder" > wrote in message
> Andrew, would you care to measure the distance from the pedestal hole to
> the near side of the recessed well? I've got a bad back and may just cut
> one into the old girl.

Eric,
Have a look over at APBF. I've posted a pic with the dims. My boat has
two available post locations. You can tell which one I'm using. I'm just
about 6' tall.
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!
http://www.rofb.net/ - ROFB Newsgroup Home

Joshuall
September 7th, 2004, 02:12 AM
Thanks to all who responded. Steve. . . would love to but this company is
keeping me at 1 day a week off. Lucky to hit local waters. : i (

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear