PDA

View Full Version : Red hooks,,Bleeding bait theory

alwaysfishking
September 2nd, 2004, 07:58 PM
Some people swear by them and others don't buy into it. So what is your
opinion? What is the purpose? and does it work for you?

For me it's simple. I'll always use them. But I don't think it's for the
same reason most use them or buy them. When you read about red hooks it's
bleeding this or bleeding that.. Crankbaits, spinnerbaits and jigs have all
been turned loose with this bleeding bait theory. For me I think you do get
more strikes not because other fish see it as bleeding or injured but I
think they see it as a flash of the gills, Next largemouth or perch or any
other fish you catch look at the bright red gills. I can see where a fluke
on the top of the water or dying down with a simple jerk ..that red hook
could resemble a gill, same thing with wacky rigged stick baits etc. Could
it make a difference in that fish simply looking as opposed to striking? I
don't know. Could it cost you fish using red hooks? I don't believe so.

I don't think I have done anything really different from last year to this
year except change hooks. I use the gammy's in red exclusively. I also use
2/0 Octopus hooks in red for wacky rigging and I probably have doubled my
catch from last year if not more. So I'm convinced, they do work..... but as
someone will probably point out.. It's just a confidence thing. So tell
me.... what do you think?

Randy

Chris Rennert
September 2nd, 2004, 08:31 PM
Randy,

I have replaced all my front hooks on my crankbaits with red hooks. I use
red octopus hooks for drop shotting. Has it made a difference, I am not
totally sure. It seems I do get more belly shots on my cranks, but that
could just be coincidence, but who knows for sure. I have faith in that
they make a difference so I stick with it. I don't believe it hurts at all,
so as long as that is true, I will add any sort of attractant I can.
Like you said, whether it is blood or just the flash of maybe a gill raker
who knows for sure, but I did read something a while back where I believe
(once again) Doug Hannon tested different colors and Red was attacked very
aggressively and tackle companies must have taken that or similar studies
seriously because a lot of them have gone that direction. That study also
showed that bass shied away from Yellow, and a Yellow and White spinner bait
has been my best combo :-D

Chris