PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Needs Help Getting Hitched

ANETA NEWTON
August 28th, 2004, 04:54 AM
Hi folks,

I'm thinking about getting a small boat and going bass fishing. However, I'm a solo and can't back into a hitch worth a flip. I've looked at various hitching 'aids' . Anybody here have any thoughts ?

What about camera systems like HindSight or Sure Shot? Is there a wireless camera system out there?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Aneta

--

Charles B. Summers
August 28th, 2004, 05:15 AM

"ANETA NEWTON" > wrote in message
m...
Hi folks,

I'm thinking about getting a small boat and going bass fishing. However,
I'm a solo and can't back into a hitch worth a flip. I've looked at various
hitching 'aids' . Anybody here have any thoughts ?

What about camera systems like HindSight or Sure Shot? Is there a
wireless camera system out there?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Aneta

--

ANETA NEWTON
August 28th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Charles,

That's a lot of in/out trips alone. Oh, well.

THANKS! ;-)

Aneta

--
Aneta S. Newton
teamPHOENIX

"Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message .. .
The best thing I can offer you is, Practice, practice, and practice...

"ANETA NEWTON" > wrote in message

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
August 28th, 2004, 12:13 PM
"ANETA NEWTON" > wrote in message
om...
Charles,

That's a lot of in/out trips alone. Oh, well.

THANKS! ;-)

Aneta,

That's the way everyone else has done it. Just pay attention to how
everything looks out the back window and side mirrors. Before too long, you
should be able to do it just getting out of the vehicle once or twice.

Think of it as your enforced aerobics program.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Budd Cochran
August 28th, 2004, 02:38 PM
"ANETA NEWTON" > wrote in message
m...
Hi folks,

I'm thinking about getting a small boat and going bass fishing. However,
I'm a solo and can't back into a hitch worth a flip. I've looked at various
hitching 'aids' . Anybody here have any thoughts ?

What about camera systems like HindSight or Sure Shot? Is there a
wireless camera system out there?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Aneta

--

What are you towing with?

The type of vehicle can help a lot. For example: if you're driving an SUV,
the outside mirrors ( both of them) can be adjusted to act like a double set
of gunsights to guide you back. Just adjust them so you have the rear corner
of the SUV clearly visible. Then as you back up, keep the trailer well
centerd in the mirrors.

Another trick I've seen used is a bicycle flag poles cut down and mounted on
the same side of the car hitch and trailer tongue (example: both on the
passenger side) then a triangle of red tape on the inside mirror placed to
line up with the poles when the trailer is hitched. Then all you do keep
them lined up as you back up. Placing another bit of tape on the trailer
pole lined up so it just about disappears when you're in position can stop
you from backing too far.

And all of these cost much less than those fancy guiding devices.

Btw, if you go with the poles and someone asks what they're for, just tell
them that they're "dumb question rods". <VBG>

Budd.

D. Norton
August 28th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Aneta, one trick is to temporarily attach a small flag to your hitch. One
that you can see out the back of your vehicle. Simply line up the center of
your tow vehicle on the flag. You can also put a small piece of colored tape
at the base of your rear window, dead center of your hitch. These aides will
give you the references you need to line things up.

--
Dave Norton
The RodMaker

> "ANETA NEWTON" > wrote in message
> om...
> Charles,
>
> That's a lot of in/out trips alone. Oh, well.
>
> THANKS! ;-)
>
> Aneta,
>
> That's the way everyone else has done it. Just pay attention to how
> everything looks out the back window and side mirrors. Before too long,
you
> should be able to do it just getting out of the vehicle once or twice.
>
> Think of it as your enforced aerobics program.
> --
> Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
> http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
> http://www.herefishyfishy.com

RGarri7470
August 29th, 2004, 02:57 AM
You might want to check out http://www.ezhitch.biz/ - I saw one demostrated
last spring and it looked like it would do a good job.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

ANETA NEWTON
August 29th, 2004, 04:55 AM
Budd,

Btw, if you go with the poles and someone asks what they're for, just tell
them that they're "dumb question rods". <VBG>

LOL!

THANKS!

Aneta

--
Aneta S. Newton

"Budd Cochran" > wrote in message ...

Btw, if you go with the poles and someone asks what they're for, just tell
them that they're "dumb question rods". <VBG>

Budd.

Budd Cochran
August 29th, 2004, 02:05 PM
No problem, and you're welcome.

But I have to admit I used to train military truck drivers and that is where
I first used them to train drivers in trailer operations.

Budd

"ANETA NEWTON" > wrote in message
. com...
Budd,

Btw, if you go with the poles and someone asks what they're for, just tell
them that they're "dumb question rods". <VBG>

LOL!

THANKS!

Aneta

--
Aneta S. Newton

"Budd Cochran" > wrote in message

Btw, if you go with the poles and someone asks what they're for, just tell
them that they're "dumb question rods". <VBG>

Budd.

Doc \(The Tin Boat King\)
August 29th, 2004, 03:43 PM
I used a telescoping pencil magnet on the hitch to mark it. just put a small piece of cloth on the pocket clip. They can be founf
at any auto parts store, or Al's favorite, Wal-Mart. Doc
"Budd Cochran" > wrote in message ...
No problem, and you're welcome.

But I have to admit I used to train military truck drivers and that is where
I first used them to train drivers in trailer operations.

Budd

"ANETA NEWTON" > wrote in message
. com...
Budd,

Btw, if you go with the poles and someone asks what they're for, just tell
them that they're "dumb question rods". <VBG>

LOL!

THANKS!

Aneta

--
Aneta S. Newton

"Budd Cochran" > wrote in message

Btw, if you go with the poles and someone asks what they're for, just tell
them that they're "dumb question rods". <VBG>

Budd.

Dudley Man
August 29th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Hitching up to a small boat trailer isn't like hitching up to a travel
trailer. A small boat, motor and trailer will be 1000 pounds or less. If you
install
a retractable wheel on the trailer (easily available), than moving the
trailer over the ball hitch and cranking down is very easy. My rig with
trailer, weighs 1100 pounds and I am a 63 year old weakling and don't have
any trouble pushing the loaded trailer around. Go to a boat trailer dealer
and ask for a demo!

"Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message
.. .
> The best thing I can offer you is, Practice, practice, and practice...
>

> "ANETA NEWTON" > wrote in message
> m...
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm thinking about getting a small boat and going bass fishing. However,
> I'm a solo and can't back into a hitch worth a flip. I've looked at
various
> hitching 'aids' . Anybody here have any thoughts ?
>
> What about camera systems like HindSight or Sure Shot? Is there a
> wireless camera system out there?
>
> Any suggestions would be helpful.
>
> Aneta
>
> --

Andrew Kidd
August 29th, 2004, 05:48 PM
"Dudley Man" > wrote in message
> Hitching up to a small boat trailer isn't like hitching up to a travel
> trailer. A small boat, motor and trailer will be 1000 pounds or less. If
> you
> install
> a retractable wheel on the trailer (easily available), than moving the
> trailer over the ball hitch and cranking down is very easy. My rig with
> trailer, weighs 1100 pounds and I am a 63 year old weakling and don't have
> any trouble pushing the loaded trailer around. Go to a boat trailer dealer
> and ask for a demo!

Mines an 18 ft fiberglass, probably >2500 lbs and I do the same thing. Not
a real big deal, but I have a flat concrete drive to do it on. My biggest
concern in backing up to it is sending the boat on through the water
softener behind it! :-)

--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

Bob
August 30th, 2004, 05:18 AM
My advice is DON'T! Why ruin a good thing by getting hitched? (just kidding
sweetie {whoosh} (ducking a cast iron frypan) marriage is a GREAT
institution!)

{KLANG} Owowowow. Didn't duck fast enough for that one. Anyone have some
aspirin? (I think she might be irritated that I was late for her Special
Fried Zucchini Dinner, and it burnt. No great loss for me, just took her out
for dinner, unplanned of course :-)

Yeesh, came in late to this one and had some trouble reading the subject
line. Thought he was looking for advice on getting married!!! That's what I
get for trying to do this internet thingy when I'm tired :-D

Cast far
Bob

PS Best advice I can give is also the practice, practice one. Small rigs can
be pushed around, bigger ones....

PPS Whole day spent on Castle Rock Lake in Wisconsin. 3 keeper LM Bass, 1
keeper Smallie, 8 Crappie, and 2 keeper Walleyes, beat out my daddy this
time. Oh yeah, and a heck of a suntan.