PDA

View Full Version : Keeper bass

Andrew Kidd
August 29th, 2004, 03:44 PM
I have again started keeping records of my fish catching. With the new
boat, I thought I'd keep track of just how often I get out and use the boat,
how many fish, etc.

While doing this, I noticed that of the 162 bass I've caught since May
2nd, 46 have been keepers. That means only 28% of the fish I've caught have
been keeper size (14 inches). This seems a little low. Anybody else keep
records like this? How are you doing?

--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

Andrew Kidd
August 29th, 2004, 03:46 PM
I've also only been fishing 161 hours since May 2nd! That's definitely too
low!!!

--

"Andrew Kidd" > wrote in message
> I have again started keeping records of my fish catching. With the new
> boat, I thought I'd keep track of just how often I get out and use the
> boat, how many fish, etc.
>
> While doing this, I noticed that of the 162 bass I've caught since May
> 2nd, 46 have been keepers. That means only 28% of the fish I've caught
> have been keeper size (14 inches). This seems a little low. Anybody else
> keep records like this? How are you doing?
>
> --
> Andrew Kidd
> http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!
> http://www.rofb.net/ - ROFB Newsgroup Home

Ken Blevins
August 29th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Andrew - I stopped counting at 100 bass in the middle of July .so I guess
that I,m somewhere close to you in total count. It seems like my catch
ratio is about 1 keeper [15 inches ] for every 5 or 6 fish,which gives me
about 18-20 % .Pretty sad isn't it?? On the bright side , I've caught more
big bass this year than I thought I would .Biggest was 7lb2oz- 6-14 and
6-2with a sprinkling of 3 to 5 lb'ers mixed in .If I had to live on what I
catch ,I'd be a skinny man
Ken
"Andrew Kidd" > wrote in message
> I have again started keeping records of my fish catching. With the
new
> boat, I thought I'd keep track of just how often I get out and use the
boat,
> how many fish, etc.
>
> While doing this, I noticed that of the 162 bass I've caught since May
> 2nd, 46 have been keepers. That means only 28% of the fish I've caught
have
> been keeper size (14 inches). This seems a little low. Anybody else keep
> records like this? How are you doing?
>
> --
> Andrew Kidd
> http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!
> http://www.rofb.net/ - ROFB Newsgroup Home

IMKen
August 29th, 2004, 06:16 PM
So why with everybody practicing C&R is this true. Should be more big fish.
Perhaps it will happen in a couple years as all these smallies grow up.
maybe there are just too many small fish and some need to see the frying
pan?

What do you think?

Ken

"Andrew Kidd" > wrote in message
> I have again started keeping records of my fish catching. With the new
> boat, I thought I'd keep track of just how often I get out and use the
> boat, how many fish, etc.
>
> While doing this, I noticed that of the 162 bass I've caught since May
> 2nd, 46 have been keepers. That means only 28% of the fish I've caught
> have been keeper size (14 inches). This seems a little low. Anybody else
> keep records like this? How are you doing?
>
> --
> Andrew Kidd
> http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!
> http://www.rofb.net/ - ROFB Newsgroup Home

Andrew Kidd
August 29th, 2004, 07:08 PM
"IMKen" > wrote in message
> So why with everybody practicing C&R is this true. Should be more big
> fish. Perhaps it will happen in a couple years as all these smallies grow
> up. maybe there are just too many small fish and some need to see the
> frying pan?
>
> What do you think?
>
> Ken

Interesting thoughts. I'd had these myself too, except at one of the
closest lakes (pond) to me, I'm 19/36, for over 50%. TI used to have a lot
of small fish. In another, I'm 1/35. I don't even want to caluclate the
percent on that one, although I've had fun both times out to that lake this
year. It's been like that for years, even after a slot limit of 12-15
during the last several years. You'd think they'd eventually grow bigger.

I just don't think people were taking out the 12" and less bass. I know I
wasn't. Unfortunately, I'm a little lazy when it comes to the cleaning fish
part. If I want fish, I typically go out to eat! :-)
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!
http://www.rofb.net/ - ROFB Newsgroup Home

Andrew Kidd
August 29th, 2004, 07:45 PM
"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> While I have not kept track of hours on the lake I have 429 bass this
> year.
> I have no idea how many were dinks but I gotta say that a majority were 12
> inchs or better. I am definetly not one to compare to. I have a very
> unfair
> advantage in the lakes here and the amount of time I can fish. My average
> size bass this year would be about 2 pounds +, I plan on keeping more
> detailed logs next year. like baits and time spent. One thing I won't
> track
> is money spent :-)

If we had a 12" limit, I'm sure my percent would be a lot higher. But we
don't. Not like it really matters. I enjoy catching them to just about any
size. I would like ot have a few larger ones this year, though. I think my
largest is just over 4lb this year.

I used to keep a really detailed log. I think I got so detailed, it became
a hassle, and I gave up on it. I'm just really hitting the high points on
this log.
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!
http://www.rofb.net/ - ROFB Newsgroup Home

go-bassn
August 29th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Not to open up the "dinks are wothless" thread again, but I only keep count
of keeper bass in my logs. I know I've caught more dinks than keepers
overall too Andrew.

The thing that I can be proud of is that I've averaged far more than a
5-fish limit of keepers for every day I've fished this year. In my book
that's the most important factor. The total number of fish is
inconsequential to me.

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com

> "alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> > While I have not kept track of hours on the lake I have 429 bass this
> > year.
> > I have no idea how many were dinks but I gotta say that a majority were
12
> > inchs or better. I am definetly not one to compare to. I have a very
> > unfair
> > advantage in the lakes here and the amount of time I can fish. My
average
> > size bass this year would be about 2 pounds +, I plan on keeping more
> > detailed logs next year. like baits and time spent. One thing I won't
> > track
> > is money spent :-)
> >

> If we had a 12" limit, I'm sure my percent would be a lot higher. But we
> don't. Not like it really matters. I enjoy catching them to just about
any
> size. I would like ot have a few larger ones this year, though. I think
my
> largest is just over 4lb this year.
>
> I used to keep a really detailed log. I think I got so detailed, it
became
> a hassle, and I gave up on it. I'm just really hitting the high points on
> this log.
> --
> Andrew Kidd
> http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!
> http://www.rofb.net/ - ROFB Newsgroup Home

go-bassn
August 29th, 2004, 07:57 PM
I say turn em all loose.

You're extracting some good info from your records Andrew. Maybe some that
you never intended them to reveal. Now you know which lakes offer you the
best chance at bigger bass, and which ones you're more apt not to. That is
cool. 1/35 is not good, I'd be fishing some other lake.

Warren
--

> "IMKen" > wrote in message
> > So why with everybody practicing C&R is this true. Should be more big
> > fish. Perhaps it will happen in a couple years as all these smallies
grow
> > up. maybe there are just too many small fish and some need to see the
> > frying pan?
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > Ken
> >

> Interesting thoughts. I'd had these myself too, except at one of the
> closest lakes (pond) to me, I'm 19/36, for over 50%. TI used to have a
lot
> of small fish. In another, I'm 1/35. I don't even want to caluclate the
> percent on that one, although I've had fun both times out to that lake
this
> year. It's been like that for years, even after a slot limit of 12-15
> during the last several years. You'd think they'd eventually grow bigger.
>
> I just don't think people were taking out the 12" and less bass. I know I
> wasn't. Unfortunately, I'm a little lazy when it comes to the cleaning
fish
> part. If I want fish, I typically go out to eat! :-)
> --
> Andrew Kidd
> http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!
> http://www.rofb.net/ - ROFB Newsgroup Home

RGarri7470
August 29th, 2004, 10:23 PM
>So why with everybody practicing C&R is this true.

because we are making them smart and much harder to catch
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

August 30th, 2004, 02:56 AM
Each year I keep track of my largemouth, smallies, & toothie critters.
So far this year it's 303, 37, & 21. I dont keep count of keepers,
maybe i'l start next year.

Bob
August 30th, 2004, 05:21 AM
Must be married. See my post on getting hitched :-)

Cast far
Bob

"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> detailed logs next year. like baits and time spent. One thing I won't
track
> is money spent :-)

Dwayne E. Cooper
August 30th, 2004, 08:19 AM
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:57:38 -0400, "go-bassn" >
wrote:

>1/35 is not good, I'd be fishing some other lake.

That's easier to say if you live in Michigan. However, the
problem Andrew has is that he's fishing in one really, really tough
state. In fact, east of the Missiissippi...there is probably no state
(with the possible exception of Ohio and Rhode Island) worse to fish
larger bodies of water in than Indiana.

Thankfully, we do have good fishing in our farm ponds, strip
pits, gravel pits, washouts, creeks and in some of our many rivers...

My keeper to non-keeper ratio is always dependent upon where I'm
fishing and I've learned to adjust my expectations depending upon the
water (and conditions) that I'm fishing.

If I'm fishing lake Monroe (Indiana's largest lake) right
now...I know that 3 nice keepers (approx. 10 pounds) will likely walk
away with a major tournament being held there this time of year. And
it very well could be 2 nice keepers...

I remember fishing a Federation Classic back in the late 80s on
Patoka (Indiana's 2nd biggest lake and probably our best big body of
water right now...unless you count the Ohio River) and catching well
over a hundred non-keeper bass each day...with not 1 keeper! 3
keepers (not huge ones either) won it and the majority of guys blanked
both days! I remember going in that tournament with an expectation of
probably around 100 keepers a day thinking that if I caught that many
keepers...surely 1 of those hundred bass each day would be a keeper
AND thinking that of 200 hundred bass...I had a decent chance of
catching a 6-7 pounder that would put me over the top...

Now compare that to the small lake I live on (15 acre subdivision
lake built about 10 years ago): I take my 21 month old boy fishing on
it about every day and after catching hundreds of bass on her this
year...I could count the number of non-keeper bass my son and I have
caught this year on one hand!

--
Dwayne E. Cooper, Atty at Law
Indianapolis, IN

G. M. Zimmermann
August 31st, 2004, 09:13 AM
> While doing this, I noticed that of the 162 bass I've caught since May
>2nd, 46 have been keepers. That means only 28% of the fish I've caught have
>been keeper size (14 inches). This seems a little low. Anybody else keep
>records like this? How are you doing?

I don't really keep records of what's a keeper and what isn't. Mostly because
the minimum size for most lakes is 12" but some special regulations lakes have
a minimum size of 15". So I could catch a 14" bass on one lake and it would be
a keeper and on another lake it wouldn't be.
Instead, I just dont count anything under 12". Most of my fish are right
around the 12" mark anyway.

-Zimmy