PDA

View Full Version : Prop on the boat

Chris Rennert
September 3rd, 2004, 07:28 PM
Ok, put an aluminum prop on my boat today and found out that I "DIDN'T" bend
the shaft so I will be out running around tonight and finding out how much I
like or dislike this prop. The guy at the marina says I won't get nearly
the performance out of this prop that I got out of the stainless, but I will
be back on the water nonetheless.

So I should be ready to go for next week.

take care all,

Chris

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
September 4th, 2004, 12:36 AM
On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 13:28:28 -0500, "Chris Rennert"
> sent into the ether:

>Ok, put an aluminum prop on my boat today and found out that I "DIDN'T" bend
>the shaft so I will be out running around tonight and finding out how much I
>like or dislike this prop. The guy at the marina says I won't get nearly
>the performance out of this prop that I got out of the stainless, but I will
>be back on the water nonetheless.
>
>So I should be ready to go for next week.
>
>take care all,
>
>Chris

Good

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Chris Rennert
September 4th, 2004, 03:10 AM
Took out the Ranger tonight and ran it with the Aluminum prop. Ran like a
champ, I am happy with it considering I was expecting to lose a lot more
performance than I really did.

Chris
"Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
. ..
> Ok, put an aluminum prop on my boat today and found out that I "DIDN'T"
bend
> the shaft so I will be out running around tonight and finding out how much
> like or dislike this prop. The guy at the marina says I won't get nearly
> the performance out of this prop that I got out of the stainless, but I
will
> be back on the water nonetheless.
>
> So I should be ready to go for next week.
>
> take care all,
>
> Chris

Chris Rennert
September 4th, 2004, 03:10 AM
Took out the Ranger tonight and ran it with the Aluminum prop. Ran like a
champ, I am happy with it considering I was expecting to lose a lot more
performance than I really did.

Chris
"Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
. ..
> Ok, put an aluminum prop on my boat today and found out that I "DIDN'T"
bend
> the shaft so I will be out running around tonight and finding out how much
> like or dislike this prop. The guy at the marina says I won't get nearly
> the performance out of this prop that I got out of the stainless, but I
will
> be back on the water nonetheless.
>
> So I should be ready to go for next week.
>
> take care all,
>
> Chris

Chris Rennert
September 4th, 2004, 03:10 AM
Took out the Ranger tonight and ran it with the Aluminum prop. Ran like a
champ, I am happy with it considering I was expecting to lose a lot more
performance than I really did.

Chris
"Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
. ..
> Ok, put an aluminum prop on my boat today and found out that I "DIDN'T"
bend
> the shaft so I will be out running around tonight and finding out how much
> like or dislike this prop. The guy at the marina says I won't get nearly
> the performance out of this prop that I got out of the stainless, but I
will
> be back on the water nonetheless.
>
> So I should be ready to go for next week.
>
> take care all,
>
> Chris

Bob La Londe
September 4th, 2004, 03:39 AM
All you probably lost was a few MPH at WOT if its the right diameter and
pitch for your boat.

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing

"Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
> Took out the Ranger tonight and ran it with the Aluminum prop. Ran like a
> champ, I am happy with it considering I was expecting to lose a lot more
> performance than I really did.
>
> Chris
> "Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Ok, put an aluminum prop on my boat today and found out that I "DIDN'T"
> bend
> > the shaft so I will be out running around tonight and finding out how
much
> > like or dislike this prop. The guy at the marina says I won't get
nearly
> > the performance out of this prop that I got out of the stainless, but I
> will
> > be back on the water nonetheless.
> >
> > So I should be ready to go for next week.
> >
> > take care all,
> >
> > Chris

Bob La Londe
September 4th, 2004, 03:39 AM
All you probably lost was a few MPH at WOT if its the right diameter and
pitch for your boat.

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing
** Public Fishing and Boating Forums
** www.YumaBassMan.com

"Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
> Took out the Ranger tonight and ran it with the Aluminum prop. Ran like a
> champ, I am happy with it considering I was expecting to lose a lot more
> performance than I really did.
>
> Chris
> "Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Ok, put an aluminum prop on my boat today and found out that I "DIDN'T"
> bend
> > the shaft so I will be out running around tonight and finding out how
much
> > like or dislike this prop. The guy at the marina says I won't get
nearly
> > the performance out of this prop that I got out of the stainless, but I
> will
> > be back on the water nonetheless.
> >
> > So I should be ready to go for next week.
> >
> > take care all,
> >
> > Chris

go-bassn
September 4th, 2004, 03:53 AM
Chris, I believe you've been the victim of a bum prop. I doubt you hit
anything. Sometimes, especially on newer or never-maxed-out-before props,
blades just break off from torque. Your boat is new, how bout your prop?
Your prop should be covered under warranty. When that busted, what did the
remaining blades look like? If they're just fine, you got a bum prop. Is
it a Renegade by any chance?

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com

"Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
. ..
> Ok, put an aluminum prop on my boat today and found out that I "DIDN'T"
bend
> the shaft so I will be out running around tonight and finding out how much
> like or dislike this prop. The guy at the marina says I won't get nearly
> the performance out of this prop that I got out of the stainless, but I
will
> be back on the water nonetheless.
>
> So I should be ready to go for next week.
>
> take care all,
>
> Chris

go-bassn
September 4th, 2004, 03:53 AM
Chris, I believe you've been the victim of a bum prop. I doubt you hit
anything. Sometimes, especially on newer or never-maxed-out-before props,
blades just break off from torque. Your boat is new, how bout your prop?
Your prop should be covered under warranty. When that busted, what did the
remaining blades look like? If they're just fine, you got a bum prop. Is
it a Renegade by any chance?

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

"Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
. ..
> Ok, put an aluminum prop on my boat today and found out that I "DIDN'T"
bend
> the shaft so I will be out running around tonight and finding out how much
> like or dislike this prop. The guy at the marina says I won't get nearly
> the performance out of this prop that I got out of the stainless, but I
will
> be back on the water nonetheless.
>
> So I should be ready to go for next week.
>
> take care all,
>
> Chris

Rodney
September 4th, 2004, 04:55 AM

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

Rodney
September 4th, 2004, 04:55 AM

--

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Boomerang Fishing Pro. ,Stand Out Hooks ,Stand Out Lures,
Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, Decoy Activator
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
September 4th, 2004, 01:09 PM
"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> Chris, I believe you've been the victim of a bum prop. I doubt you hit
> anything. Sometimes, especially on newer or never-maxed-out-before props,
> blades just break off from torque. Your boat is new, how bout your prop?
> Your prop should be covered under warranty. When that busted, what did
the
> remaining blades look like? If they're just fine, you got a bum prop. Is
> it a Renegade by any chance?

Chris and I talked quite a bit about his prop in the past couple of days. I
talked to a guy at a performance prop shop to see if Chris could run my
backup stainless prop. When I told him that Chris was running a Yamaha, the
guy asked me if a blade came off. When I said "Yeah, how did you know?", he
said that he sees quite a bit of that with Yamaha props. He thinks it's
something in the casting process, but asked me to warn any Yamaha owners to
keep a close eye on their propellers.

He said that typically, a crack begins about 1/3 to 1/2 the way up the blade
from the hub, usually on the leading edge of the prop.

So, you Yamaha owners out there, take a good close look at your prop from
time to time.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
September 4th, 2004, 01:09 PM

"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> Chris, I believe you've been the victim of a bum prop. I doubt you hit
> anything. Sometimes, especially on newer or never-maxed-out-before props,
> blades just break off from torque. Your boat is new, how bout your prop?
> Your prop should be covered under warranty. When that busted, what did
the
> remaining blades look like? If they're just fine, you got a bum prop. Is
> it a Renegade by any chance?

Chris and I talked quite a bit about his prop in the past couple of days. I
talked to a guy at a performance prop shop to see if Chris could run my
backup stainless prop. When I told him that Chris was running a Yamaha, the
guy asked me if a blade came off. When I said "Yeah, how did you know?", he
said that he sees quite a bit of that with Yamaha props. He thinks it's
something in the casting process, but asked me to warn any Yamaha owners to
keep a close eye on their propellers.

He said that typically, a crack begins about 1/3 to 1/2 the way up the blade
from the hub, usually on the leading edge of the prop.

So, you Yamaha owners out there, take a good close look at your prop from
time to time.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Bob La Londe
September 4th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Renegade? Is that a Michigan Wheel prop?

I have heard negative things from performance boaters about MW, but I have
several MW Rapture props, and I have had no problems with them. Well, other
than tearing them up when I grind one through a steel dock cable

--

"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> Chris, I believe you've been the victim of a bum prop. I doubt you hit
> anything. Sometimes, especially on newer or never-maxed-out-before props,
> blades just break off from torque. Your boat is new, how bout your prop?
> Your prop should be covered under warranty. When that busted, what did
the
> remaining blades look like? If they're just fine, you got a bum prop. Is
> it a Renegade by any chance?
>
> Warren
> --
> http://www.warrenwolk.com/
> http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
> 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions
>

> "Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Ok, put an aluminum prop on my boat today and found out that I "DIDN'T"
> bend
> > the shaft so I will be out running around tonight and finding out how
much
> > like or dislike this prop. The guy at the marina says I won't get
nearly
> > the performance out of this prop that I got out of the stainless, but I
> will
> > be back on the water nonetheless.
> >
> > So I should be ready to go for next week.
> >
> > take care all,
> >
> > Chris

go-bassn
September 4th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Just as I figured. Did Chris say if therewas anything wrong with the
remaining blades Steve?

BTW - sorry to cut you off the other day on the phone. Sierra really took a
hard spill, you should see the bruise on her head.

Warren

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" > wrote in
message ...