PDA

View Full Version : hydrilla

GD
November 26th, 2003, 04:18 AM
Just curious...do you folks consider hydrilla to be good or bad in
lakes?

go-bassn
November 26th, 2003, 05:08 PM
That's about the silliest question you could ask a bunch of bass fishermen,
no offense. Ask a bunch of pleasure boaters & you'll get the other end of
the spectrum lol.

Warren

"GD" > wrote in message
> Just curious...do you folks consider hydrilla to be good or bad in
> lakes?

Calif Bill
November 26th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Not a silly question. Hydrilla gets so bad in the Sacramento Delta, that
lots of sloughs are impenetrable. I could see where it could cover a whole
lake and prevent most of the fishing.
Bill

"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> That's about the silliest question you could ask a bunch of bass
fishermen,
> no offense. Ask a bunch of pleasure boaters & you'll get the other end of
> the spectrum lol.
>
> Warren
>
> "GD" > wrote in message
> > Just curious...do you folks consider hydrilla to be good or bad in
> > lakes?

go-bassn
November 26th, 2003, 08:30 PM
Still yet Bill, take all that hydrilla out of the Delta & you'll have a
sub-par bass fishery within 5 years I promise you. There's no better
nursery for young bass than a hydrilla bed, few comparable forms of cover
for adult bass, and (when healthy & green) few better sources of dissolved
oxygen in the water column. Sure, it helps to have the hydrilla growth
under control, but without it you'll be driving to other destinations to
find good bass fishing. I justlove fishing my way through hydrilla beds.

Warren

"Calif Bill" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> Not a silly question. Hydrilla gets so bad in the Sacramento Delta, that
> lots of sloughs are impenetrable. I could see where it could cover a
whole
> lake and prevent most of the fishing.
> Bill
>
> "go-bassn" > wrote in message
> > That's about the silliest question you could ask a bunch of bass
> fishermen,
> > no offense. Ask a bunch of pleasure boaters & you'll get the other end
of
> > the spectrum lol.
> >
> > Warren
> >
> > "GD" > wrote in message
> > > Just curious...do you folks consider hydrilla to be good or bad in
> > > lakes?

RichZ
November 26th, 2003, 11:39 PM
Go-bassn wrote:
> There's no better
> nursery for young bass than a hydrilla bed, few comparable forms of cover
> for adult bass,

Water chestnut.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Chuck Coger
November 27th, 2003, 03:09 AM
agreed.. Rich..
There are several types like eel grass, duckweed, peppergrass that produce
just as well as hydrilla, when the hydrilla isn't choking it out.

I have been on Lakes in Florida that you cant even launch on when the
hydrilla gets high. A few years ago Walk-in-water was completley choked out,
sure plenty of fish but with no control and you have serious issues, like
not being able to navigate the waterway. The muck it creates to start with
is an issue, and when it decomposes after dying off it takes the oxygen out
of the area. Hydrilla is little more than pyrrhic victory in a water way, if
left unchecked it chokes the waterway so you can't fish and eventually
destroyes it, or it is controlled which is expensive to the state and
eventually they will eliminate it all if they can to reduce budgets.

Every few years our lakes in Florida have to be drained and raked to remove
the muck left behind after the hydrilla has died off in only a few short
years usually 4 or 5. The muck is black which makes our already hot water
even hotter, sure it's nice in the winter for the fish, but its heck in the
summer. I catch a lot of fish out of Hydrilla, nice fish at that but I think
given the chance I would trade it for a native species that will also hold
fish.

just my $0.02

---
Chuck Coger

"RichZ" > wrote in message
> Go-bassn wrote:
> > There's no better
> > nursery for young bass than a hydrilla bed, few comparable forms of
cover
> > for adult bass,
> >

> Water chestnut.
>
> RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing

Bob La Londe
November 27th, 2003, 04:43 AM
"Calif Bill" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> Not a silly question. Hydrilla gets so bad in the Sacramento Delta, that
> lots of sloughs are impenetrable. I could see where it could cover a
whole
> lake and prevent most of the fishing.
> Bill

http://www.yumabassman.com/pictures/MittryChannel.jpg

Like this?

This year wasn't too bad. Just the upstream channel got choked up. I have
seen years whent he whole lake looked like this or worse.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

> "go-bassn" > wrote in message
> > That's about the silliest question you could ask a bunch of bass
> fishermen,
> > no offense. Ask a bunch of pleasure boaters & you'll get the other end
of
> > the spectrum lol.
> >
> > Warren
> >
> > "GD" > wrote in message
> > > Just curious...do you folks consider hydrilla to be good or bad in
> > > lakes?

Calif Bill
November 27th, 2003, 08:07 AM
We had plenty of bass before the Hydrilla. Lots of weed and grass beds.
Miles of tule's and since we get 2-6' tides, means lots of oxygen in the
water.
Bill

"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> Still yet Bill, take all that hydrilla out of the Delta & you'll have a
> sub-par bass fishery within 5 years I promise you. There's no better
> nursery for young bass than a hydrilla bed, few comparable forms of cover
> for adult bass, and (when healthy & green) few better sources of dissolved
> oxygen in the water column. Sure, it helps to have the hydrilla growth
> under control, but without it you'll be driving to other destinations to
> find good bass fishing. I justlove fishing my way through hydrilla beds.
>
> Warren
>
> "Calif Bill" > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
> > Not a silly question. Hydrilla gets so bad in the Sacramento Delta,
that
> > lots of sloughs are impenetrable. I could see where it could cover a
> whole
> > lake and prevent most of the fishing.
> > Bill
> >
> > "go-bassn" > wrote in message
> > > That's about the silliest question you could ask a bunch of bass
> > fishermen,
> > > no offense. Ask a bunch of pleasure boaters & you'll get the other
end
> of
> > > the spectrum lol.
> > >
> > > Warren

Calif Bill
November 27th, 2003, 08:08 AM
I've seen it choke the waterway completely. Can not see water.

"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> "Calif Bill" > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
> > Not a silly question. Hydrilla gets so bad in the Sacramento Delta,
that
> > lots of sloughs are impenetrable. I could see where it could cover a
> whole
> > lake and prevent most of the fishing.
> > Bill
>
> http://www.yumabassman.com/pictures/MittryChannel.jpg
>
> Like this?
>
> This year wasn't too bad. Just the upstream channel got choked up. I
have
> seen years whent he whole lake looked like this or worse.
>
> --
> Bob La Londe
> Yuma, Az
> http://www.YumaBassMan.com
> Promote Your Fishing, Boating, or Guide Site for Free
> Simply add it to our index page.
> No reciprocal link required. (Requested, but not required)
>

> > "go-bassn" > wrote in message
> > > That's about the silliest question you could ask a bunch of bass
> > fishermen,
> > > no offense. Ask a bunch of pleasure boaters & you'll get the other
end
> of
> > > the spectrum lol.
> > >
> > > Warren

go-bassn
November 29th, 2003, 11:49 PM
While I'm aware of the problems hydrilla can cause if left unchecked in
SHALLOW waterways, none of the weeds you & Rich quoted compare to hydrilla
for nursery/refuge qualities. Water chestnut is more along the lines of
lily pads (all stem) once you get below the surface. Isn't peppergrass an
emergent weed? And duckweed, isn't that a tiny floating weed? As for
eelgrass, that's probably the last weed bass would gravitate to in a
mixed-weed system. No offense guys, but hydrilla has it over all these weed
types. Navigational problems aside, hydrilla has been responsible for
more bass "booms" on more lakes than nearly any other single factor.

Warren

"Chuck Coger" > wrote in message
> agreed.. Rich..
> There are several types like eel grass, duckweed, peppergrass that produce
> just as well as hydrilla, when the hydrilla isn't choking it out.
>
> I have been on Lakes in Florida that you cant even launch on when the
> hydrilla gets high. A few years ago Walk-in-water was completley choked
out,
> sure plenty of fish but with no control and you have serious issues, like
> not being able to navigate the waterway. The muck it creates to start with
> is an issue, and when it decomposes after dying off it takes the oxygen
out
> of the area. Hydrilla is little more than pyrrhic victory in a water way,
if
> left unchecked it chokes the waterway so you can't fish and eventually
> destroyes it, or it is controlled which is expensive to the state and
> eventually they will eliminate it all if they can to reduce budgets.
>
> Every few years our lakes in Florida have to be drained and raked to
remove
> the muck left behind after the hydrilla has died off in only a few short
> years usually 4 or 5. The muck is black which makes our already hot water
> even hotter, sure it's nice in the winter for the fish, but its heck in
the
> summer. I catch a lot of fish out of Hydrilla, nice fish at that but I
think
> given the chance I would trade it for a native species that will also hold
> fish.
>
> just my $0.02
>
> ---
> Chuck Coger
>
> "RichZ" > wrote in message
> > Go-bassn wrote:
> > > There's no better
> > > nursery for young bass than a hydrilla bed, few comparable forms of
> cover
> > > for adult bass,
> > >

> > Water chestnut.
> >
> > RichZ©
> > www.richz.com/fishing

go-bassn
November 29th, 2003, 11:50 PM
Yea Bill, but the bass beneath that mat couldn't be happier.

Warren

"Calif Bill" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> I've seen it choke the waterway completely. Can not see water.
>
> "Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> > "Calif Bill" > wrote in message
> > hlink.net...
> > > Not a silly question. Hydrilla gets so bad in the Sacramento Delta,
> that
> > > lots of sloughs are impenetrable. I could see where it could cover a
> > whole
> > > lake and prevent most of the fishing.
> > > Bill
> >
> > http://www.yumabassman.com/pictures/MittryChannel.jpg
> >
> > Like this?
> >
> > This year wasn't too bad. Just the upstream channel got choked up. I
> have
> > seen years whent he whole lake looked like this or worse.
> >
> > --
> > Bob La Londe
> > Yuma, Az
> > http://www.YumaBassMan.com
> > Promote Your Fishing, Boating, or Guide Site for Free
> > Simply add it to our index page.
> > No reciprocal link required. (Requested, but not required)

> > > fishermen,
> end
> > of

RichZ
November 30th, 2003, 04:02 AM
Go-bassn wrote:
> ater chestnut is more along the lines of
> lily pads (all stem) once you get below the surface

You haven't spent enough time in the nut if you think it's nothing but stem
under the surface, Warren.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

GD
November 30th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Plants can be good for fish or bad for fish. All plants are not the
same.

Hydrilla, like most structure, is a great fish attractant. Fish on
the edge of a hydrilla bed and you are likely to meet with some
success. However, the value of hydrilla as nursery habitat is highly
questionable. Navigational difficulties are caused by the growth form
of the plant, which produces a dense surface canopy (top meter or so).
Ecologically, the surface canopy can have devastating effects: it
serves as a barrier between the water column and atmosphere (blocking
gaseous exchange) and prevents light penetration (eliminating primary
productivity except by the canopy). Combined, these factors lead to
degraded water quality. Dissolved oxygen becomes depleted and carbon
dioxide becomes elevated beneath the canopy, both of which are harmful
to fish. Because of the great biomass and high photosynthetic rates,
dissolved oxygen becomes supersaturated in the canopy, and pH often
rises above 10; again, conditions that are harmful to fish. So, in
the presence of topped out hydrilla, the entire water column is, at a
minimum, stressful to fish. Add to the mix the high density of stems
and leaves, which make it difficult for predator species to forage.

In contrast, native species such as eelgrass and pondweeds do not
produce dense surface canopies. Although these species to contribute
to low dissolved oxygen at night, the periods of fish stress are much
shorter in duration and options are available to juvenile fish using
such beds as nursery habitat (they can swim to the surface to "gasp"
for oxygen). Native plant beds do serve as nursery habitat for many
freshwater fish species, including largemouth bass.

When it does not grow to excess, hydrilla benefits the fishery as
structure (not as nursery habitat). Unfortunately, hydrilla has time
and time again spread to occupy all shallow areas in lakes it has
infested, which effectively eliminates all nursery habitat, resulting
in poor bass and/or sunfish fisheries. Again, unfortunately, when
such conditions occur, lake managers often resort to control
techniques that impact all vegetation, which is no better for the
fishery than too much of the wrong kind of vegetation. We need to
find a middle road, folks.

"go-bassn" > wrote:

>While I'm aware of the problems hydrilla can cause if left unchecked in
>SHALLOW waterways, none of the weeds you & Rich quoted compare to hydrilla
>for nursery/refuge qualities. Water chestnut is more along the lines of
>lily pads (all stem) once you get below the surface. Isn't peppergrass an
>emergent weed? And duckweed, isn't that a tiny floating weed? As for
>eelgrass, that's probably the last weed bass would gravitate to in a
>mixed-weed system. No offense guys, but hydrilla has it over all these weed
>types. Navigational problems aside, hydrilla has been responsible for
>more bass "booms" on more lakes than nearly any other single factor.
>
>Warren
>
>"Chuck Coger" > wrote in message
>> agreed.. Rich..
>> There are several types like eel grass, duckweed, peppergrass that produce
>> just as well as hydrilla, when the hydrilla isn't choking it out.
>>
>> I have been on Lakes in Florida that you cant even launch on when the
>> hydrilla gets high. A few years ago Walk-in-water was completley choked
>out,
>> sure plenty of fish but with no control and you have serious issues, like
>> not being able to navigate the waterway. The muck it creates to start with
>> is an issue, and when it decomposes after dying off it takes the oxygen
>out
>> of the area. Hydrilla is little more than pyrrhic victory in a water way,
>if
>> left unchecked it chokes the waterway so you can't fish and eventually
>> destroyes it, or it is controlled which is expensive to the state and
>> eventually they will eliminate it all if they can to reduce budgets.
>>
>> Every few years our lakes in Florida have to be drained and raked to
>remove
>> the muck left behind after the hydrilla has died off in only a few short
>> years usually 4 or 5. The muck is black which makes our already hot water
>> even hotter, sure it's nice in the winter for the fish, but its heck in
>the
>> summer. I catch a lot of fish out of Hydrilla, nice fish at that but I
>think
>> given the chance I would trade it for a native species that will also hold
>> fish.
>>
>> just my $0.02
>>
>> ---
>> Chuck Coger

>> cover
>> > >

>> > Water chestnut.
>> >
>> > RichZ
>> > www.richz.com/fishing

Chuck Coger
December 1st, 2003, 02:36 AM
Peppergrass is like a small sweet gum tree that grows under the water
(kinda), usually in 3-6 foot of water. I catch quite a few fish off of eel
grass down here, they are trying to get more of growing down here.
Apparently what you call duckweed and what I call duckweed are different.
YOu are explaining more along the lines of milfoil, I am talking about a
broad leafed submergent 1-2 feet of water. And I forgot the Kissimmee Grass,
probably not a lot of it up there though;). I will give you that Hydrilla
probably is better than the other two, but I think peppergrass is really
close to as productive, if not as when found in qauntity.
I would suspect if Peppergrass had the hydrilla charateristic of overtaking
everything it would be just as productive. I agree that Hydrilla has been
responsible for more than one bass boom, but if I cant get on the lake:(

---
Chuck Coger