PDA

View Full Version : new world record?

RGarri7470
November 26th, 2003, 09:25 PM
2212.1

This months issue of the International Game Fish Association newsletter shows a
woman holding up a big bass. It says the fish was 29 inches long, 27.5 inches
fork length and 25 inch girth. It weighed just over 22.5 pounds on a Bocagrip
scale.

IGFA is processing the application for a new world record. Wonder if it will
make it. How accurate is the Bocagrip?

She caught it on a Storm Wildeye jerkbait in Spring Lake, California.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Charles B. Summers
November 26th, 2003, 09:30 PM
Any pictures of that bass yet? Must be a monster!!!

"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> 2212.1
>
> This months issue of the International Game Fish Association newsletter
shows a
> woman holding up a big bass. It says the fish was 29 inches long, 27.5
inches
> fork length and 25 inch girth. It weighed just over 22.5 pounds on a
Bocagrip
> scale.
>
> IGFA is processing the application for a new world record. Wonder if it
will
> make it. How accurate is the Bocagrip?
>
> She caught it on a Storm Wildeye jerkbait in Spring Lake, California.
>

> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

alwaysfishking
November 26th, 2003, 09:41 PM
That would sure put a twist on the whole " World Record Catch instant
millionaire claim", in a sport dominated by men recreationally and
professionally I wonder if most will chalk it up to it being a fluke
considering it was caught by a women. I hope she gets it. It would prove to
be interesting. IMO

Regards,
"Charles B. Summers" (Comcast)> wrote in
message ...
> Any pictures of that bass yet? Must be a monster!!!
>

> "RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> > 2212.1
> >
> > This months issue of the International Game Fish Association newsletter
> shows a
> > woman holding up a big bass. It says the fish was 29 inches long, 27.5
> inches
> > fork length and 25 inch girth. It weighed just over 22.5 pounds on a
> Bocagrip
> > scale.
> >
> > IGFA is processing the application for a new world record. Wonder if it
> will
> > make it. How accurate is the Bocagrip?
> >
> > She caught it on a Storm Wildeye jerkbait in Spring Lake, California.
> >

> > Ronnie
> >
> > http://fishing.about.com

alwaysfishking
November 26th, 2003, 09:51 PM
I just got off the IGFA web site. They have a new world record LM bass
listed for this women. 22lbs 8 oz. Caught in August 2003 spring lake CA. It
appears that it has been broken.
"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> 2212.1
>
> This months issue of the International Game Fish Association newsletter
shows a
> woman holding up a big bass. It says the fish was 29 inches long, 27.5
inches
> fork length and 25 inch girth. It weighed just over 22.5 pounds on a
Bocagrip
> scale.
>
> IGFA is processing the application for a new world record. Wonder if it
will
> make it. How accurate is the Bocagrip?
>
> She caught it on a Storm Wildeye jerkbait in Spring Lake, California.
>

> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

RGarri7470
November 26th, 2003, 09:55 PM
>Any pictures of that bass yet? Must be a monster!!!

There is a picture - and the way she is holding it makes it look big. It is a
big fish,no doubt. But it was released before being verified. Surprised they
gave her a new record. And I wonder why there was so little news about it - she
caught it on August 24th.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

John Lindsey
November 26th, 2003, 09:58 PM
She and her bass are on IGFA's Pending Records page:

http://igfa.org/records/records.cfm

She caught it on 12 pound line last August.

Good luck to her. It takes quite a long time to get recorded.
John

"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> 2212.1
>
> This months issue of the International Game Fish Association newsletter
shows a
> woman holding up a big bass. It says the fish was 29 inches long, 27.5
inches
> fork length and 25 inch girth. It weighed just over 22.5 pounds on a
Bocagrip
> scale.
>
> IGFA is processing the application for a new world record. Wonder if it
will
> make it. How accurate is the Bocagrip?
>
> She caught it on a Storm Wildeye jerkbait in Spring Lake, California.
>

> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

John Lindsey
November 26th, 2003, 10:39 PM
It's PENDING. Unless IGFA's webmaster has double posted to both PENDING and
RECORD sections, it's not official yet.
John
"alwaysfishking" <alwaysfishking@ nospam.epix.net> wrote in message
> I just got off the IGFA web site. They have a new world record LM bass
> listed for this women. 22lbs 8 oz. Caught in August 2003 spring lake CA.
It
> appears that it has been broken.
> "RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> > 2212.1
> >
> > This months issue of the International Game Fish Association newsletter
> shows a
> > woman holding up a big bass. It says the fish was 29 inches long, 27.5
> inches
> > fork length and 25 inch girth. It weighed just over 22.5 pounds on a
> Bocagrip
> > scale.
> >
> > IGFA is processing the application for a new world record. Wonder if it
> will
> > make it. How accurate is the Bocagrip?
> >
> > She caught it on a Storm Wildeye jerkbait in Spring Lake, California.
> >

> > Ronnie
> >
> > http://fishing.about.com

John Lindsey
November 26th, 2003, 10:41 PM
It's PENDING not official yet. See my post below.

John
"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> >Any pictures of that bass yet? Must be a monster!!!
>
> There is a picture - and the way she is holding it makes it look big. It
is a
> big fish,no doubt. But it was released before being verified. Surprised
they
> gave her a new record. And I wonder why there was so little news about
it - she
> caught it on August 24th.
> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

Charles B. Summers
November 26th, 2003, 10:49 PM
Released before verification??? Bummer

But then again, George Perry's fish was never verified either, but that was
long before IFGA's days.

"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> >Any pictures of that bass yet? Must be a monster!!!
>
> There is a picture - and the way she is holding it makes it look big. It
is a
> big fish,no doubt. But it was released before being verified. Surprised
they
> gave her a new record. And I wonder why there was so little news about
it - she
> caught it on August 24th.
> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

RGarri7470
November 26th, 2003, 10:51 PM
>But then again, George Perry's fish was never verified either, but that was
>long before IFGA's days.

I am pretty sure his bass was weighed on certified scales in a post office
before witnesses.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

RichZ
November 27th, 2003, 12:13 AM
RGarri7470 wrote:
> I am pretty sure his bass was weighed on certified scales in a post office
> before witnesses.
> Ronnie

I'm 99% positive it was weighed on feed scales.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Andrew Kidd
November 27th, 2003, 12:17 AM
"alwaysfishking" <alwaysfishking@ nospam.epix.net> wrote in message
> That would sure put a twist on the whole " World Record Catch instant
> millionaire claim", in a sport dominated by men recreationally and
> professionally I wonder if most will chalk it up to it being a fluke
> considering it was caught by a women. I hope she gets it. It would prove
> be interesting. IMO

Indiana state record belongs to a woman... Didn't seem to be too big a deal
about it when it happened.
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

Steve Erwin
November 27th, 2003, 12:28 AM
It shouldn't be considered a fluke. There are many fine women bass fishermen
out there. Lots of husband/wife partners that never fish tournaments but
could probably win some if they just entered. If that were my wife, I'd
still be cleaning the crap out of the boat, LOL. Hope she gets the record.
Steve

"alwaysfishking" <alwaysfishking@ nospam.epix.net> wrote in message
> That would sure put a twist on the whole " World Record Catch instant
> millionaire claim", in a sport dominated by men recreationally and
> professionally I wonder if most will chalk it up to it being a fluke
> considering it was caught by a women. I hope she gets it. It would prove
> be interesting. IMO
>
> Regards,
> "Charles B. Summers" (Comcast)> wrote in
> message ...
> > Any pictures of that bass yet? Must be a monster!!!
> >

> > "RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> > > 2212.1
> > >
> > > This months issue of the International Game Fish Association
newsletter
> > shows a
> > > woman holding up a big bass. It says the fish was 29 inches long,
27.5
> > inches
> > > fork length and 25 inch girth. It weighed just over 22.5 pounds on a
> > Bocagrip
> > > scale.
> > >
> > > IGFA is processing the application for a new world record. Wonder if
it
> > will
> > > make it. How accurate is the Bocagrip?
> > >
> > > She caught it on a Storm Wildeye jerkbait in Spring Lake, California.
> > >

> > > Ronnie
> > >
> > > http://fishing.about.com

Mark W. Oots
November 27th, 2003, 12:44 AM
The new Bassmaster issue has a small article on this fish. Read all about
the latest.

Mark

---

John Lindsey
November 27th, 2003, 01:27 AM
Just to clarify a bit. IGFA has three statuses - Pending, Current and
Defeated. Before IGFA will classify an application as Pending, they require
several notarized items which are detailed on their web site and on the
application form and instructions.

1. A complete description of the catch. They look for such things as foul
hooked, help in landing the fish, illegal activities, non-allowed tackle,
etc.
2. Biologist certification of the species.
3. Weighing witness(es)
4. Scale certification status.
5. Lure and line or fly/tippet/leader and one foot of the fly line which are
sent out to the testing lab for line strength certification.
6. Video, pictures and observer witnesses, if any.

I'm probably forgetting more details but these six seem the most important
as I recall.

IGFA has announced a new program whereby IGFA members can send their
certified scale to IGFA who will certify the scale return it to the member
and the member can measure and weigh the fish, witness the application, sign
the application and allow the fish to be released immediately into the water
body.

As I recall, when IGFA has received the notarized application, fee, line,
etc.but before receiving the lab test results are received, IGFA classifies
the catch as PENDING. A catch may remain in the PENDING status longer than
test results received back from the lab. I am led to believe that IGFA
conducts additional investigations when they deem them necessary prior to
changing status to CURRENT. A catch remains CURRENT until another catch
weighing at least two ounces more completes the process and then the old
record becomes classified DEFEATED. I hope this has clarified the world
record process.

It is curious that a bass this big has not been mentioned in the press
before this! Maybe the lady used the above described technique and wants to
remain anonymous. Well not any more! She'll be hounded to death from now
on.

FWIW If her status is still PENDING on 1/1/04 she will not be listed in
IGFA's record book that comes out in April-May of 04. That will add to the
confusion LOL.

Good luck to her.
John

"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> 2212.1
>
> This months issue of the International Game Fish Association newsletter
shows a
> woman holding up a big bass. It says the fish was 29 inches long, 27.5
inches
> fork length and 25 inch girth. It weighed just over 22.5 pounds on a
Bocagrip
> scale.
>
> IGFA is processing the application for a new world record. Wonder if it
will
> make it. How accurate is the Bocagrip?
>
> She caught it on a Storm Wildeye jerkbait in Spring Lake, California.
>

> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

RGarri7470
November 27th, 2003, 01:35 AM
>RGarri7470 wrote:
>> I am pretty sure his bass was weighed on certified scales in a post office
>> before witnesses.
>> Ronnie
>>

>I'm 99% positive it was weighed on feed scales.
>
>RichZ©

You are probalby right. I based my comment on Bill Babb's report in the
February, 1989 Bassin' magazine:

"Someone at the store mentioned the (Field & Stream) Big Fish Contest and urged
Daddy to enter it. He had the fish weighed on a set of certified scales at the
post office. According to the contest rules, he had the fish's dimensions and
weight notarized. The fish weighted 22 pounds four ounces."

A family member told Babb that in an interview.

This is from an article by Louis Bignami at Fine Fishing - he also quoted the
above.

As Perry remembered it, the fight wasn't much. It rarely is with really huge
bass. After the fish was landed, Perry toted it over to the J. J. Hall and Co.
General store. In a Sports Afield article Perry said, "It was almost an
accident that I had it (the fish) weighed and recorded." A buddy mentioned the
Field & Stream Contest with its $75 merchandise prize. So Perry took his fish
to the post office where, several hours after it was caught, the big female
weighted 22 pounds 4 ounces and measured 31 inches long and 27 inches around.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Dan Krueger
November 27th, 2003, 02:05 AM
The Bocagrip is supposed to be very accurate. The IGFA will certify them for you.

Dan

RGarri7470 wrote:

> 2212.1
>
> This months issue of the International Game Fish Association newsletter shows a
> woman holding up a big bass. It says the fish was 29 inches long, 27.5 inches
> fork length and 25 inch girth. It weighed just over 22.5 pounds on a Bocagrip
> scale.
>
> IGFA is processing the application for a new world record. Wonder if it will
> make it. How accurate is the Bocagrip?
>
> She caught it on a Storm Wildeye jerkbait in Spring Lake, California.
>

> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

BassMr.
November 27th, 2003, 02:42 AM
It does seem odd that this "record" catch is just coming to light.I hope
it's not tainted in some way like the lady that caught a California monster
a few years back that had the dive weight in it's stomach.
More power to her if she does have the world record largemouth,and I hope
that she is as proud of it as any one of us would be! I know if I was even a
little bit close to the world record,EVERYBODY would know!! :)

Charles B. Summers
November 27th, 2003, 03:21 AM
Thats what I was thinking... but rather grocery scales of some sort. Feed
scales/grocery scales... just about the same thing. right?

--
Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
www.secretweaponlures.com
"RichZ" > wrote in message
> RGarri7470 wrote:
> > I am pretty sure his bass was weighed on certified scales in a post
office
> > before witnesses.
> > Ronnie
> >

> I'm 99% positive it was weighed on feed scales.
>
> RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing

Joe
November 27th, 2003, 03:47 AM
We have to remember that in those days post office/feed store/general store
was all in one.
So IMHO everyone is correct. ;-)
Joe Z.

"Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)> wrote in
message ...

"RichZ" > wrote in message
> RGarri7470 wrote:
> > I am pretty sure his bass was weighed on certified scales in a post
office
> > before witnesses.
> > Ronnie
> >

> I'm 99% positive it was weighed on feed scales.
>
> RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing

Charles B. Summers
November 27th, 2003, 03:59 AM
In those days??? Georgia is still like that, aint it??

No offense Ronnie! LOL

--
"Joe" > wrote in message
> We have to remember that in those days post office/feed store/general
store
> was all in one.
> So IMHO everyone is correct. ;-)
> Joe Z.
>
> "Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)> wrote
in
> message ...
> Thats what I was thinking... but rather grocery scales of some sort. Feed
> scales/grocery scales... just about the same thing. right?
>
> --
> Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
> www.secretweaponlures.com
> www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> www.midtennclassic.org
> "RichZ" > wrote in message
> > RGarri7470 wrote:
> > > I am pretty sure his bass was weighed on certified scales in a post
> office
> > > before witnesses.
> > > Ronnie
> > >

> > I'm 99% positive it was weighed on feed scales.
> >
> > RichZ©
> > www.richz.com/fishing

Bob La Londe
November 27th, 2003, 05:03 AM
In Arizona some places too. My mom's grocery store sells feed and contains
an official post office.
--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

"Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)> wrote in
message ...
> In those days??? Georgia is still like that, aint it??
>
> No offense Ronnie! LOL
>
> --
> Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
> www.secretweaponlures.com
> www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> www.midtennclassic.org
> "Joe" > wrote in message
> > We have to remember that in those days post office/feed store/general
> store
> > was all in one.
> > So IMHO everyone is correct. ;-)
> > Joe Z.
> >
> > "Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)>
wrote
> in
> > message ...
> > Thats what I was thinking... but rather grocery scales of some sort.
Feed
> > scales/grocery scales... just about the same thing. right?
> >
> > --
> > Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
> > www.secretweaponlures.com
> > www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> > www.midtennclassic.org
> > office
> > > >

> > > I'm 99% positive it was weighed on feed scales.
> > >
> > > RichZ©
> > > www.richz.com/fishing

RichZ
November 27th, 2003, 06:06 AM
The story I recall was that the PO scale wasn't big enough so they went to
the feed store.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Chuck Coger
November 27th, 2003, 06:49 AM
They are fairly accurate.
Let me think though. I catch a Bass that weighs over the world record, so I
take a picture, measure it and weigh it on only a boca scale. Not me. I
would get it officially weighed, can't imagine anyone fishing for Bass would
think otherwise. Just sounds a little fishy too me, pun intended. Obviously
they had thought to measure the fish properly and even weigh it on a boca
grip, I am just intrested to hear why they wouldn't seek out a certified
scale, which I understand is on nearly every lake where they catch large
Bass in CA.. Call me a skeptic but a pound is easy to fake in a picture.
Without having seen the picture or knowing the full story I would say it
won't stand.

---
Chuck Coger

"Dan Krueger" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> The Bocagrip is supposed to be very accurate. The IGFA will certify them
for you.

> Dan
>

> RGarri7470 wrote:
>
> > 2212.1
> >
> > This months issue of the International Game Fish Association newsletter
shows a
> > woman holding up a big bass. It says the fish was 29 inches long, 27.5
inches
> > fork length and 25 inch girth. It weighed just over 22.5 pounds on a
Bocagrip
> > scale.
> >
> > IGFA is processing the application for a new world record. Wonder if it
will
> > make it. How accurate is the Bocagrip?
> >
> > She caught it on a Storm Wildeye jerkbait in Spring Lake, California.
> >

> > Ronnie
> >
> > http://fishing.about.com

go-bassn
November 27th, 2003, 07:39 AM
I'm with Chuck, this just can't be. If the world record bass was caught in
August, we would have known about it in August. As far as I know a world
record MUST be weighed on certified scales. What the heck is a boca scale,
some kind of handheld? Also, what if the bass had weight in it? Obviously
it was never examined by a wildlife official. I truly hope Perry's record
doesn't go down to a controversial catch. His bass was, by the way, weighed
on certified scales of some type.

Warren

"Chuck Coger" > wrote in message
.. .
> They are fairly accurate.
> Let me think though. I catch a Bass that weighs over the world record, so
> take a picture, measure it and weigh it on only a boca scale. Not me. I
> would get it officially weighed, can't imagine anyone fishing for Bass
would
> think otherwise. Just sounds a little fishy too me, pun intended.
Obviously
> they had thought to measure the fish properly and even weigh it on a boca
> grip, I am just intrested to hear why they wouldn't seek out a certified
> scale, which I understand is on nearly every lake where they catch large
> Bass in CA.. Call me a skeptic but a pound is easy to fake in a picture.
> Without having seen the picture or knowing the full story I would say it
> won't stand.
>
> ---
> Chuck Coger
>

> "Dan Krueger" > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
> > The Bocagrip is supposed to be very accurate. The IGFA will certify
them
> for you.
> >
> > Dan
> >

> > RGarri7470 wrote:
> >
> > > 2212.1
> > >
> > > This months issue of the International Game Fish Association
newsletter
> shows a
> > > woman holding up a big bass. It says the fish was 29 inches long,
27.5
> inches
> > > fork length and 25 inch girth. It weighed just over 22.5 pounds on a
> Bocagrip
> > > scale.
> > >
> > > IGFA is processing the application for a new world record. Wonder if
it
> will
> > > make it. How accurate is the Bocagrip?
> > >
> > > She caught it on a Storm Wildeye jerkbait in Spring Lake, California.
> > >

> > > Ronnie
> > >
> > > http://fishing.about.com

go-bassn
November 27th, 2003, 07:43 AM
Pending means nothing other than an application was submitted. Is the
listing below hers suggesting that the 3 pound 4 ounce bass would be the 12
pound line class record? Geeze...

Warren

"John Lindsey" > wrote in message
> She and her bass are on IGFA's Pending Records page:
>
> http://igfa.org/records/records.cfm
>
> She caught it on 12 pound line last August.
>
> Good luck to her. It takes quite a long time to get recorded.
> John
>

> "RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> > 2212.1
> >
> > This months issue of the International Game Fish Association newsletter
> shows a
> > woman holding up a big bass. It says the fish was 29 inches long, 27.5
> inches
> > fork length and 25 inch girth. It weighed just over 22.5 pounds on a
> Bocagrip
> > scale.
> >
> > IGFA is processing the application for a new world record. Wonder if it
> will
> > make it. How accurate is the Bocagrip?
> >
> > She caught it on a Storm Wildeye jerkbait in Spring Lake, California.
> >

> > Ronnie
> >
> > http://fishing.about.com

go-bassn
November 27th, 2003, 07:44 AM
Where's the pic Ron?

Warren

"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> >Any pictures of that bass yet? Must be a monster!!!
>
> There is a picture - and the way she is holding it makes it look big. It
is a
> big fish,no doubt. But it was released before being verified. Surprised
they
> gave her a new record. And I wonder why there was so little news about
it - she
> caught it on August 24th.
> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

Dan
November 27th, 2003, 09:17 AM
> > This months issue of the International Game Fish Association newsletter
shows a
> > woman holding up a big bass. It says the fish was 29 inches long, 27.5
inches
> > fork length and 25 inch girth. It weighed just over 22.5 pounds on a
Bocagrip
> > scale.

Ain't sayin one way or the other. However, the demensions of Perry's bass as
per the article on the "24#" from the previously mentioned link for spring
lake....

"Perry's Bass was caught in 1932 at Montgomery Lake Georgia. This behemoth
bass weighed 22 lb. 4 oz. had a length of 32 1/2 in. And the girth was 28
1/2 in. "

Lady's bass is shorter, thinner, and heavier?

Dan

G. M. Zimmermann
November 27th, 2003, 10:59 AM
>It does seem odd that this "record" catch is just coming to light.I hope
>it's not tainted in some way like the lady that caught a California monster
>a few years back that had the dive weight in it's stomach....
> I know if I was even a
>little bit close to the world record,EVERYBODY would know!! :)

I guess I'm in the minority on this, but If I caught a new record or near
record, I'd put that fish back right quick and let it be and keep my mouth
shut. I'd rather do without any fame or fortune or extra competition in my
favorite fishing holes. I know what I caught and what anybody else thinks
doesn't mean squat. I just like the thrill of landing a big one.

-Zimmy

alwaysfishking
November 27th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Why has this not come to light until now. Is she an experienced angler or a
wife just going along for the trip. Because if it is the latter this bass
will never produce a million dollar payoff for her. imo
"Dan" > wrote in message
hlink.net...

> > > This months issue of the International Game Fish Association
newsletter
> shows a
> > > woman holding up a big bass. It says the fish was 29 inches long,
27.5
> inches
> > > fork length and 25 inch girth. It weighed just over 22.5 pounds on a
> Bocagrip
> > > scale.
>
> Ain't sayin one way or the other. However, the demensions of Perry's bass
as
> per the article on the "24#" from the previously mentioned link for spring
> lake....
>
> "Perry's Bass was caught in 1932 at Montgomery Lake Georgia. This behemoth
> bass weighed 22 lb. 4 oz. had a length of 32 1/2 in. And the girth was 28
> 1/2 in. "
>
> Lady's bass is shorter, thinner, and heavier?
>

> Dan

alwaysfishking
November 27th, 2003, 11:55 AM
I went to world records on the page and she was listed there.
"John Lindsey" > wrote in message
> She and her bass are on IGFA's Pending Records page:
>
> http://igfa.org/records/records.cfm
>
> She caught it on 12 pound line last August.
>
> Good luck to her. It takes quite a long time to get recorded.
> John
>

> "RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> > 2212.1
> >
> > This months issue of the International Game Fish Association newsletter
> shows a
> > woman holding up a big bass. It says the fish was 29 inches long, 27.5
> inches
> > fork length and 25 inch girth. It weighed just over 22.5 pounds on a
> Bocagrip
> > scale.
> >
> > IGFA is processing the application for a new world record. Wonder if it
> will
> > make it. How accurate is the Bocagrip?
> >
> > She caught it on a Storm Wildeye jerkbait in Spring Lake, California.
> >

> > Ronnie
> >
> > http://fishing.about.com

AJH
November 27th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Post Office scales are more than adequate for my bass..

I fish therefore I lie

RGarri7470
November 27th, 2003, 12:37 PM
>In those days??? Georgia is still like that, aint it??

NO - nowadays those stores have gas pumps too!

But, the article by Babb says he left the general store and took it to the Post
Office. Maybe they had feed scales there, too.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

RGarri7470
November 27th, 2003, 12:41 PM

>Where's the pic Ron?
>
>Warren

In the IGFA newsletter - it also says she was fishing with her son out of a 13
foot inflatable boat, the fish hit a stormwildeye 7" jerkbait after she
switched to it from palstic worms and using 8 pound test line. Took her ten
minutes of "tugging" before her son netted it.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

RichZ
November 27th, 2003, 02:56 PM
RGarri7470 wrote:
> the article by Babb says he left the general store and took it to the Post
> Office.

In which case, probably remembered it backwards. The say the memory is the
2nd thing to go. I wish I could remember the 1st thing.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Charles B. Summers
November 27th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Y'all must have moved another step above Tennessee then. We still have to go
to the fillin' station.

--
Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
www.secretweaponlures.com
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
www.midtennclassic.org
"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> >In those days??? Georgia is still like that, aint it??
> >

> NO - nowadays those stores have gas pumps too!
>
> But, the article by Babb says he left the general store and took it to the
Post
> Office. Maybe they had feed scales there, too.
> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

Craig
November 27th, 2003, 04:05 PM
A Boca is one of Roland Martin's favorite toys, because it lips the fish and
weighs it at the same time. Very accurate to a 1/4 of a pound once
calibrated, and because of that fact, can be certified.

--
Craig Bauer
http://c.a.b.home.comcast.net/

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
November 27th, 2003, 04:34 PM
"Craig" > wrote in message ...
> A Boca is one of Roland Martin's favorite toys, because it lips the fish and
> weighs it at the same time. Very accurate to a 1/4 of a pound once
> calibrated, and because of that fact, can be certified.

It is a BOGA Grip (http://www.bogagrips.com) and yes they can be certified per IGFA standards.
However, to submit a catch and release record, the fish still has to be weighed on shore. The IGFA
will NOT accept weights taken while in a boat. It seems that the movement of the boat could cause
erroneous readings on the scale. Any fish that is submitted must be taken out of the boat and the
weigher must be standing on good ol' Terra Firma.
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

John Lindsey
November 27th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Actually PENDING means a lot more than IGFA got an application in the mail.
It means that IGFA got enough information to consider the application as
legitimate and IGFA approved the expense of processing the application
further

The listing below hers could be considered for a New Jersey waterbody record
or a child's record or a variety of possibilities. IGFA seems to be hired
by some states to maintain the state's records.

I do not know why IGFA placed this fish in the 12 pound class and not in the
All Tackle class.

Good luck.
John

..
"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> Pending means nothing other than an application was submitted. Is the
> listing below hers suggesting that the 3 pound 4 ounce bass would be the
12
> pound line class record? Geeze...
>
> Warren
>
> "John Lindsey" > wrote in message
> > She and her bass are on IGFA's Pending Records page:
> >
> > http://igfa.org/records/records.cfm
> >
> > She caught it on 12 pound line last August.
> >
> > Good luck to her. It takes quite a long time to get recorded.
> > John
> >

> > "RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> > > 2212.1
> > >
> > > This months issue of the International Game Fish Association
newsletter
> > shows a
> > > woman holding up a big bass. It says the fish was 29 inches long,
27.5
> > inches
> > > fork length and 25 inch girth. It weighed just over 22.5 pounds on a
> > Bocagrip
> > > scale.
> > >
> > > IGFA is processing the application for a new world record. Wonder if
it
> > will
> > > make it. How accurate is the Bocagrip?
> > >
> > > She caught it on a Storm Wildeye jerkbait in Spring Lake, California.
> > >

> > > Ronnie
> > >
> > > http://fishing.about.com

John Lindsey
November 27th, 2003, 06:19 PM
If her son netted her fish this could be a problem. IGFA rules say someone
else cannot "help" you land your fish. But someone else can net your fish
under specified conditions. If in analyzing the description of landing the
bass, the lady comes across as a weak wimp and needed help to get her fish
caught, it might be enough for IGFA to taint the record application and
reject it.

Also note the disparity between the story saying she was using a 8 pound
test line while she is pending in the 12 pound class. This is a big
difference! I can think of a possible explanation or two but I want to hear
IGFA's reason.

IGFA is the group that rates lines and tippets for the fishing tackle
manufacturers. IGFA's Doug Blodgett told me that when the testing lab
tested my tippet, it broke at 4.19 pounds although it was a 6 pound test
tippet. IGFA put me into the 6 pound class, not 4 pound class, because
Dai-Riki sold the tippet at 6 pounds, based upon IGFA testing. Doug said
that if my tippet had broken above 8 pounds, IGFA would have put me into the
8 pound class, regardless of the fact that I was using a 6 pound tippet.
This is a possible reason of why the lady was fishing with 8 pound test line
but IGFA has placed her into the pending 8 pound class.

Sounds like we need more information about this catch. Questions are coming
out.
Good luck.
John

"RGarri7470" > wrote in message

> >Where's the pic Ron?
> >
> >Warren
>
> In the IGFA newsletter - it also says she was fishing with her son out of
a 13
> foot inflatable boat, the fish hit a stormwildeye 7" jerkbait after she
> switched to it from palstic worms and using 8 pound test line. Took her
ten
> minutes of "tugging" before her son netted it.
> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

Chuck Coger
November 27th, 2003, 09:17 PM
Remember the Homer Circle story when he was weighing a Bass for a guy for a
Big Fish Tourney and the fish weighed over what he thought it should have.
Homer turned the bass head down and shook and several sinkers came tumbling
out. He looked at the guy who said "Bass sure do eat the darndest things
don't they"

Also remember the the last lady that caught the record Bass that was
disqualified, something about finding nearly a pound or two of lead in the
bass's stomach. Don't remember the whole story only the jist of the story.

---
Chuck Coger

"Dan" > wrote in message
hlink.net...

> > > This months issue of the International Game Fish Association
newsletter
> shows a
> > > woman holding up a big bass. It says the fish was 29 inches long,
27.5
> inches
> > > fork length and 25 inch girth. It weighed just over 22.5 pounds on a
> Bocagrip
> > > scale.
>
> Ain't sayin one way or the other. However, the demensions of Perry's bass
as
> per the article on the "24#" from the previously mentioned link for spring
> lake....
>
> "Perry's Bass was caught in 1932 at Montgomery Lake Georgia. This behemoth
> bass weighed 22 lb. 4 oz. had a length of 32 1/2 in. And the girth was 28
> 1/2 in. "
>
> Lady's bass is shorter, thinner, and heavier?
>

> Dan

Chuck Coger
November 27th, 2003, 11:53 PM
As for the line, she may have been using 8 lb test. Part of getting a line
class record is to send a 2 or 3 foot piece of the line used in with the
application. IGFA then tests it breaking strength and applies it to the
appropriate line class. At least that is how they explained it to me when I
visited them in Miami, Florida. Not sure if the piece of line applies when
you are applying for all tacklerecords or not, but the fact that she has
been assigned a pending status to 12 pound class should mean they have at
least tested the breaking point of the line.

Whats really funny is if you visit the Miami IGFA facility, George Perry's
mammoth bass isn't listed on the floor as the record. I was unable to obtain
an answer as to why, and I asked several people that worked there.

---
Chuck Coger

"John Lindsey" > wrote in message
> If her son netted her fish this could be a problem. IGFA rules say
someone
> else cannot "help" you land your fish. But someone else can net your fish
> under specified conditions. If in analyzing the description of landing
the
> bass, the lady comes across as a weak wimp and needed help to get her fish
> caught, it might be enough for IGFA to taint the record application and
> reject it.
>
> Also note the disparity between the story saying she was using a 8 pound
> test line while she is pending in the 12 pound class. This is a big
> difference! I can think of a possible explanation or two but I want to
hear
> IGFA's reason.
>
> IGFA is the group that rates lines and tippets for the fishing tackle
> manufacturers. IGFA's Doug Blodgett told me that when the testing lab
> tested my tippet, it broke at 4.19 pounds although it was a 6 pound test
> tippet. IGFA put me into the 6 pound class, not 4 pound class, because
> Dai-Riki sold the tippet at 6 pounds, based upon IGFA testing. Doug said
> that if my tippet had broken above 8 pounds, IGFA would have put me into
the
> 8 pound class, regardless of the fact that I was using a 6 pound tippet.
> This is a possible reason of why the lady was fishing with 8 pound test
line
> but IGFA has placed her into the pending 8 pound class.
>
> Sounds like we need more information about this catch. Questions are
coming
> out.
> Good luck.
> John
>

> "RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> > >
> > >Where's the pic Ron?
> > >
> > >Warren
> >
> > In the IGFA newsletter - it also says she was fishing with her son out
of
> a 13
> > foot inflatable boat, the fish hit a stormwildeye 7" jerkbait after she
> > switched to it from palstic worms and using 8 pound test line. Took her
> ten
> > minutes of "tugging" before her son netted it.
> > Ronnie
> >
> > http://fishing.about.com

BassMr.
November 28th, 2003, 01:36 AM
In the B.A.S.S. article it says that her son "is an experienced angler who
has several other line class records". Why then,didn't he have enough sense
to properly have that particular catch certified in the correct manner??
Or did he have enough sense to say "Hey Mom,maybe we can get away with
something"?
I do not think this "record" will ever stand,it will just be another monster
bass story from California (by way of Florida)!
JMHO
Maybe we need to have a California Big Bass Classic...........
huh.huh.huh.

John Lindsey
November 28th, 2003, 06:19 AM

Should have said:

>but IGFA has placed her into the pending 12 pound class.

Sorry

RGarri7470
November 28th, 2003, 01:50 PM
>In the B.A.S.S. article

Which issue? I could not find it in the November issue.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

AJH
November 28th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Dec 2003, page12..

I fish therefore I lie

RGarri7470
November 28th, 2003, 10:56 PM
>Dec 2003, page12..

Thanks - mine just came today and I found it. Good bit of info there, like the
fact the Bocagrip was certified. Strange that she let it go - sounds like her
son knows about records since he has several.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Dan
November 29th, 2003, 04:22 AM
That one was the inframous "diver weight" from about 10 years ago. Another
fish that "fought for 10 minutes".

One of several "questionable" catches over the years. there are a couple on
the books right now that are doubted by many familiar with the situation and
angler. Unfortunately, without hard evidence, suspicions don't cut it. It is
unfortunate however that questionable catches get so much attention and hang
on the fringe of credibility for so long.

Dan

"Chuck Coger" > wrote in message
> Remember the Homer Circle story when he was weighing a Bass for a guy for
> Big Fish Tourney and the fish weighed over what he thought it should have.
> Homer turned the bass head down and shook and several sinkers came
tumbling
> out. He looked at the guy who said "Bass sure do eat the darndest things
> don't they"
>
> Also remember the the last lady that caught the record Bass that was
> disqualified, something about finding nearly a pound or two of lead in the
> bass's stomach. Don't remember the whole story only the jist of the story.
>
> ---
> Chuck Coger
>

> "Dan" > wrote in message
> hlink.net...

> newsletter
> > shows a
> 27.5
> > inches
> > Bocagrip
> >
> > Ain't sayin one way or the other. However, the demensions of Perry's
bass
> as
> > per the article on the "24#" from the previously mentioned link for
spring
> > lake....
> >
> > "Perry's Bass was caught in 1932 at Montgomery Lake Georgia. This
behemoth
> > bass weighed 22 lb. 4 oz. had a length of 32 1/2 in. And the girth was
28
> > 1/2 in. "
> >
> > Lady's bass is shorter, thinner, and heavier?
> >

> > Dan

J Buck
November 29th, 2003, 04:42 AM
<That one was the inframous "diver weight" from about 10 years ago.
Another fish that "fought for 10 minutes">

I know it takes time to play certain species, but I get the impression
most big bass are horsed in fairly quickly. Is 10" considered quick or a
long time to bring a big one in?

John Lindsey
November 29th, 2003, 06:19 AM
My guess is that almost all bass regardless of size are horsed in as quickly
as possible. Reasons for my guess is:
1. Most bass fishermen regardless of tackle or technique have lost too many
bass that circled a limb or jumped over a log. We remember.
2. Most bass fishermen use heavy line and are used to pulling bass out
through brush, weeds and lily pads, etc.
3. A lot of fishermen believe playing fish for long times stresses the
fish, especially in warm waters.

The above notwithstanding, almost no bass of any size are caught with a fly
rod and those that are almost always caught using 10 to 12 pound leaders and
tippets and probably fall into the three categories of guesses listed above.
It takes me at least 10 - 15 minutes to horse in a 5-6 pound bass on 12
pound leader/10 pound tippet.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
John

"J Buck" > wrote in message
> <That one was the inframous "diver weight" from about 10 years ago.
> Another fish that "fought for 10 minutes">
>
> I know it takes time to play certain species, but I get the impression
> most big bass are horsed in fairly quickly. Is 10" considered quick or a
> long time to bring a big one in?

John Kerr
November 29th, 2003, 03:56 PM
It may seem like it takes longer to land that big bass than it really
does, with the adrenilin flowing:). I have caught more than a few large
bass, I never actually timed the catch, but my guess is that anything
over 5-8 minutes would be too long...if they had wanted to "play", they
should have played yesterday <g>.
I have seen my son catch trophy bass and have them in the boat in a
matter of two or three minutes. I think ten minutes is plenty of time to
land that world record bass.
JK

RGarri7470
November 29th, 2003, 04:50 PM
I got my monthly newsletter from the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame yesterday
and it had the same picture of Leaha Trew holding the 22-8 bass. They explain
they will accept it for a 12 pound test record but not as a world record since
it was not examined by a fisheries biologist. They say it is unfortunate that
it was released, and that to be accepted for a world record requires such
requirments, but it is too an important record to accept without removing all
doubt about it.

It is interesting that there is also a picture of Javad Trew holding a 18-8
Spring Lake bass in the same issue. Apparently her son is a trophy bass
fishermen - can't beleive he had mom release the fish without verification
unless he is hoping to catch it later?.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

go-bassn
November 29th, 2003, 05:25 PM
This is ca-ca boys. They probably stuck their anchor in its mouth before
weighing it.

Warren

"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> >Dec 2003, page12..
>
> Thanks - mine just came today and I found it. Good bit of info there,
like the
> fact the Bocagrip was certified. Strange that she let it go - sounds like
her
> son knows about records since he has several.
> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

RichZ
November 29th, 2003, 05:49 PM
I've been looking at the same thing (FWFHF) and to me it defies logic to
accept it as a line class recrod but not as the all world record. If you
recognize it out one side of your mouth, you can't deny its existence out
the other. Failure to either disqualify it outright or accept it completely
will tain any future all tackle record that doesn't beat the Trew fish
handily.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

RichZ
November 29th, 2003, 05:50 PM
tain? S/B taint.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Dan
December 2nd, 2003, 07:48 PM
Most 10# + fish I have caught lasted no more than 1-1/2 minutes tops. Dis
have one that took about 2-2 1/2 to get in but she came off a bed in
shallow water and was on 8# test. She was the exception to the norm. My
experience and many of the other big bass guys I've talked to is this. 10#+
fish don't fight all that great. The best ones for a battle are the 5-8#
class.
However, I have noticed that each lake seems to have a different "battle
co-efficient" for the fish. The big ones in Castaic often come in like limp
rags. The ones in Casitas fight a lot harder. And don't even get me started
about tidewater bass. They are a whole different catagory of their own.
However, the subject and the bass in question was not a tidewater fish.

--
Dan W.

host, Bazz Clazz Videos

www.bazzclazz.com

To reply remove spamnot from the address