PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Restrictions - Clear Lake, Ca - Question ????

Bob La Londe
November 27th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Does anybody know if there are specific restrictiopns against 2 stroke
outboards on Clear Lake, Ca?

I have a 50HP Force 2stroke circa 1984 or so. I was thinking about picking
up a 16' Waco Aluminum to get into some of the backwaters on the Colorado
River, and also serve double duty to fish the All Aluminum Classics with the
American Bass Association. One of the aluminum classics is held on Clear
Lake, California.

I know I can't register a new boat in California with an old 2 stroke, but
will they allow my Arizona registered boat with 2-stroke on Clear Lake?

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Calif Bill
November 27th, 2003, 07:06 PM
The 2 stroke restrictions are only on a few water supply lakes. Clear Lake
would cause an immense uprising. Lots of older boats there.
Bill

"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> Does anybody know if there are specific restrictiopns against 2 stroke
> outboards on Clear Lake, Ca?
>
> I have a 50HP Force 2stroke circa 1984 or so. I was thinking about
picking
> up a 16' Waco Aluminum to get into some of the backwaters on the Colorado
> River, and also serve double duty to fish the All Aluminum Classics with
the
> American Bass Association. One of the aluminum classics is held on Clear
> Lake, California.
>
> I know I can't register a new boat in California with an old 2 stroke, but
> will they allow my Arizona registered boat with 2-stroke on Clear Lake?
>
> --
> Bob La Londe
> Yuma, Az
> http://www.YumaBassMan.com
> Promote Your Fishing, Boating, or Guide Site for Free
> Simply add it to our index page.
> No reciprocal link required. (Requested, but not required)

Bill Kiene
November 28th, 2003, 05:36 AM
I still believe there are a few high mountain lakes like Lake Tahoe with
this regulation.

You can not buy a new carbureted 2 stroke under ~100hp in CA.

--
Bill Kiene

"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message

> Does anybody know if there are specific restrictiopns against 2 stroke
> outboards on Clear Lake, Ca?
>
> I have a 50HP Force 2stroke circa 1984 or so. I was thinking about
picking
> up a 16' Waco Aluminum to get into some of the backwaters on the Colorado
> River, and also serve double duty to fish the All Aluminum Classics with
the
> American Bass Association. One of the aluminum classics is held on Clear
> Lake, California.
>
> I know I can't register a new boat in California with an old 2 stroke, but
> will they allow my Arizona registered boat with 2-stroke on Clear Lake?
>
> --
> Bob La Londe
> Yuma, Az
> http://www.YumaBassMan.com
> Promote Your Fishing, Boating, or Guide Site for Free
> Simply add it to our index page.
> No reciprocal link required. (Requested, but not required)

Phishrace
November 28th, 2003, 08:28 AM
"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message >...
> Does anybody know if there are specific restrictiopns against 2 stroke
> outboards on Clear Lake, Ca?
>
> I have a 50HP Force 2stroke circa 1984 or so. I was thinking about picking
> up a 16' Waco Aluminum to get into some of the backwaters on the Colorado
> River, and also serve double duty to fish the All Aluminum Classics with the
> American Bass Association. One of the aluminum classics is held on Clear
> Lake, California.
>
> I know I can't register a new boat in California with an old 2 stroke, but
> will they allow my Arizona registered boat with 2-stroke on Clear Lake?

Yes, as Bill says, you should be good. And while I'm not sure if you
can register a new boat in Ca with a 2 stroke, I've been told dealers
are not legally able sell a 2 stroke in the state any more. My 750#
aluminum boat sports a 380#, 75hp 4 stroke Merc outboard. Real big and
sits low in water in back. Looked at lots of used boats with 2 strokes
before I decided on a new boat with a 4 stroke that has a 3 star
rating. Drives me nuts how all the different water agencys can make up
the rules as it goes along.

Here's a list of 2 stroke/MTBE/pwc restrictions in Ca:

http://dbw.ca.gov/MTBEList.htm

-Phish

Calif Bill
November 30th, 2003, 05:59 AM
What defines the aluminum boat? Could not see any rules on the American
Bass site.

"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> Does anybody know if there are specific restrictiopns against 2 stroke
> outboards on Clear Lake, Ca?
>
> I have a 50HP Force 2stroke circa 1984 or so. I was thinking about
picking
> up a 16' Waco Aluminum to get into some of the backwaters on the Colorado
> River, and also serve double duty to fish the All Aluminum Classics with
the
> American Bass Association. One of the aluminum classics is held on Clear
> Lake, California.
>
> I know I can't register a new boat in California with an old 2 stroke, but
> will they allow my Arizona registered boat with 2-stroke on Clear Lake?
>
> --
> Bob La Londe
> Yuma, Az
> http://www.YumaBassMan.com
> Promote Your Fishing, Boating, or Guide Site for Free
> Simply add it to our index page.
> No reciprocal link required. (Requested, but not required)

Bob La Londe
November 30th, 2003, 04:14 PM
As I understand it, basically any aluminum craft that has a livewell. Your
jet boat should be just fine. I vaguely heard that they may have
discontinued the Aluminum Boat Only tournaments due to low participation.
Next time I see Dave Willhide (local region director) I will ask him about
it.

In the past he told me I could fish the Aluminum Classic out of Fisher's
Landing in my canoe if I had a large ice chest with a recirculating aeration
pump setup.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az
http://www.YumaBassMan.com
Promote Your Fishing, Boating, or Guide Site for Free
Simply add it to our index page.
No reciprocal link required. (Requested, but not required)

hlink.net...