PDA

View Full Version : Fireline question

Marty
November 28th, 2003, 06:08 AM
Can pike and pickerel cut this stuff readily, as they do mono? I expect to
start using this for the first time, not sure whether it will be 14# or 20#.

P.S. I noticed a few posts from Marty S. I'm the old Marty, just to let you
know that there are two of us. Sorta reminds me of when there was Warren1
and Warren2.

alwaysfishking
November 28th, 2003, 10:56 AM
not as easy as mono. but if they get a tooth on it, they could definetly
break it off like a hot knife through butter
"Marty" > wrote in message
> Can pike and pickerel cut this stuff readily, as they do mono? I expect to
> start using this for the first time, not sure whether it will be 14# or
20#.

> P.S. I noticed a few posts from Marty S. I'm the old Marty, just to let
you
> know that there are two of us. Sorta reminds me of when there was Warren1
> and Warren2.

Rob Storm
November 28th, 2003, 07:08 PM
Steve Huber convinced me that 50-lb PowerPro would stand up to pike's teeth and
so far he's been right. One day in Alberta I caught 30 pike averaging 7 pounds
on the PowerPro without any sort of leader, and none of them broke off. I
realize that you asked about FireLine, but my guess is that there's not that
much difference between the two. After you catch a fish, I'd feel the last
foot or so of your line and when it feels rough, cut it off and retie -- just
like you do with any other line.

Family, Friends, Fishing,
Rob Storm
http://stormsrestaurants.com

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
November 29th, 2003, 02:23 PM
"Marty" > wrote in message ...
> Can pike and pickerel cut this stuff readily, as they do mono? I expect to
> start using this for the first time, not sure whether it will be 14# or 20#.

Can they cut it as readily? NO! But can they cut it? Certainly. I fish quite a bit in waters
inhabited by pike and muskies. I got tired of donating lures to the ecosystem and started using
superbraid lines. I've tried the vast majority of them and find myself using PowerPro line 95% of
the time. In my experience, it seems to hold up better than FireLine to teeth and other nasty
stuff. I also despise leaders, only using them where absolutely necessary, when throwing inline
spinners (which create line twist) or gliding muskie jerk baits.

On all of my baitcasting reels, I have them spooled with either 50 pound, 65 pound or 80 pound,
depending on the application. For my bass stuff (which some does double duty as muskie/pike
tackle), which is mostly Shimano Curado 200 reels, I spool those with 50 pound. 50 lb. PowerPro has
the same approximate diameter as 14 pound mono and the reels handle it well.

Since I made the switch to PowerPro, I've found I get better hooksets, have increased lure
sensitivity and lose far less lures. Oh yeah, I also seem to catch more fish.
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

Gone Angling
November 29th, 2003, 03:18 PM
I like both fireline and power pro. Power pro seems to hold up better. It also
won't cut you hands as readily as fireline if your hands inadvertently (sp) get
in the way. I use a rogue for pike and the way the pike hits it often the line
doesn't get in the way of their teeth.

alwaysfishking
November 29th, 2003, 04:02 PM
You may also want to try the stren super braid, IMO it's better than the
power pro or fireline, costs a bit more though
"Gone Angling" > wrote in message
> I like both fireline and power pro. Power pro seems to hold up better. It
also
> won't cut you hands as readily as fireline if your hands inadvertently
(sp) get
> in the way. I use a rogue for pike and the way the pike hits it often the
line
> doesn't get in the way of their teeth.

Gone Angling
November 30th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Alwaysfishing
>You may also want to try the stren super braid, IMO it's better than the
>power pro or fireline, costs a bit more though

Could you please elaborate on why you feel it is better than fireline and power
pro. I haven't seen it at my retailer

Tilman Fliegel
December 2nd, 2003, 06:37 AM
In my experience fireline is cut very easily. More easily than braid and
certainly more easily than mono. This is, is you compare lines of roughly
same B.S., or superlines with up to 2 times the B.S. of mono.
If I fish deliberatly for pike, or even in waters with a good chance of pike
biting, I always use a steel leader of some kind. I don't want to lose that
big one, even if he does swallow my lure. And to my knowledge so far
everything but steel (or rather metall) has been cut by Pikes teeth sooner
or later.