PDA

View Full Version : your opinion please

Steve & Chris Clark
September 7th, 2004, 10:38 PM
What factors do you think contribute to a good dock as in cover that holds
LM's?

What would your defining features of a dock be that produce at least a
couple of two-and-a-halfers and a three-and-a-halfer?

Would you say there is a domain radius established by bigger bass?

I always try for a second bass if I get one from a dock, should I try for a
third or do you think the third one is just wasting time?
The first one I usually just hock it out green and swing it into the boat
without any play and go for a second one immediately.
--
Steve

---

RichZ
September 7th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Steve wrote:
> What factors do you think contribute to a good dock as in cover that holds
> LM's?

Wood, not metal. 5 points

No fresh pressure treated wood. 2 points

Platform low to water. 4 points

The more dilapidated the better. 3points

Dock resting on supports, not floating. 5 points

Supports set into concrete blocks (artificial rocks) rather than just stuck
in the bottom. 2 points

Multiple horizontal or angled braces. 1 point per non vertical member.

posts/braces larger than 4 by 4s. 2 points

Dock cross or abuts both a reasonably flat bottom and a depth change. 10
points

Dock abuts or houses a different type of cover (Rock/log/weeds/brush) 10
points

Dock comes off seawall rather than just off bank. 2 points

Wooden Ladder off front face of dock. 1 point

Complex shape (T or L instead of just a straight walk)5 points.

Lone dock on a bank. Jackpot.

Barking Dog on dock. negative 2 points

Jet ski ramps on dock. Negative 2 points

Just add up the points -- the higher the score, the longer I"m spending
casting at it.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

RichZ
September 7th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Steve wrote:
> What factors do you think contribute to a good dock as in cover that holds
> LM's?

Wood, not metal. 5 points

No fresh pressure treated wood. 2 points

Platform low to water. 4 points

The more dilapidated the better. 3points

Dock resting on supports, not floating. 5 points

Supports set into concrete blocks (artificial rocks) rather than just stuck
in the bottom. 2 points

Multiple horizontal or angled braces. 1 point per non vertical member.

posts/braces larger than 4 by 4s. 2 points

Dock cross or abuts both a reasonably flat bottom and a depth change. 10
points

Dock abuts or houses a different type of cover (Rock/log/weeds/brush) 10
points

Dock comes off seawall rather than just off bank. 2 points

Wooden Ladder off front face of dock. 1 point

Complex shape (T or L instead of just a straight walk)5 points.

Lone dock on a bank. Jackpot.

Barking Dog on dock. negative 2 points

Jet ski ramps on dock. Negative 2 points

Just add up the points -- the higher the score, the longer I"m spending
casting at it.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Joe Haubenreich
September 8th, 2004, 01:58 AM
You forgot "belligerent redneck landowner on dock with loaded shotgun..."
How many points?

Joe
-------------------------------------

"RichZ" > wrote in message
Steve wrote:
> What factors do you think contribute to a good dock as in cover that holds
> LM's?

Wood, not metal. 5 points

No fresh pressure treated wood. 2 points

Platform low to water. 4 points

The more dilapidated the better. 3points

Dock resting on supports, not floating. 5 points

Supports set into concrete blocks (artificial rocks) rather than just stuck
in the bottom. 2 points

Multiple horizontal or angled braces. 1 point per non vertical member.

posts/braces larger than 4 by 4s. 2 points

Dock cross or abuts both a reasonably flat bottom and a depth change. 10
points

Dock abuts or houses a different type of cover (Rock/log/weeds/brush) 10
points

Dock comes off seawall rather than just off bank. 2 points

Wooden Ladder off front face of dock. 1 point

Complex shape (T or L instead of just a straight walk)5 points.

Lone dock on a bank. Jackpot.

Barking Dog on dock. negative 2 points

Jet ski ramps on dock. Negative 2 points

Just add up the points -- the higher the score, the longer I"m spending
casting at it.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Andrew Kidd
September 8th, 2004, 02:14 AM
"Joe Haubenreich" <rofbmail (at) secretweaponlures (dot) com> wrote in
message ...
> You forgot "belligerent redneck landowner on dock with loaded shotgun..."
> How many points?
>
> Joe

I believe that reduces the total points back to zero....
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

Andrew Kidd
September 8th, 2004, 02:14 AM
"Joe Haubenreich" <rofbmail (at) secretweaponlures (dot) com> wrote in
message ...
> You forgot "belligerent redneck landowner on dock with loaded shotgun..."
> How many points?
>
> Joe

I believe that reduces the total points back to zero....
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!
http://www.rofb.net/ - ROFB Newsgroup Home

RichG
September 8th, 2004, 04:05 AM
I'd add, to RichZ's excellent summary,

closed-decking (great) versus open-decking -( let's light through).... (
not so good).

At least that is how it works in the heat of the summer in Texas....
RichG

--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

RichG
September 8th, 2004, 04:05 AM
I'd add, to RichZ's excellent summary,

closed-decking (great) versus open-decking -( let's light through).... (
not so good).

At least that is how it works in the heat of the summer in Texas....
RichG

--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

RichZ
September 8th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Joe wrote:
> You forgot "belligerent redneck landowner on dock with loaded shotgun..."
> How many points?

Actually, I also forgot 'scantily clad sunbather of female persuasion' 50
points.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

RichZ
September 8th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Joe wrote:
> You forgot "belligerent redneck landowner on dock with loaded shotgun..."
> How many points?

Actually, I also forgot 'scantily clad sunbather of female persuasion' 50
points.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Scott Davis
September 8th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Excellent list Rich. I would add that for me, I seem to have the best
sucess with the docks that have weeds around them. Also the docks that end
in 5' or so of water produce more on my artea lakes.

Scott...
Chetek, WI

"RichZ" > wrote in message
> Steve wrote:
>> What factors do you think contribute to a good dock as in cover that
>> holds
>> LM's?
>>

> Wood, not metal. 5 points
>
> No fresh pressure treated wood. 2 points
>
> Platform low to water. 4 points
>
> The more dilapidated the better. 3points
>
> Dock resting on supports, not floating. 5 points
>
> Supports set into concrete blocks (artificial rocks) rather than just
> stuck
> in the bottom. 2 points
>
> Multiple horizontal or angled braces. 1 point per non vertical member.
>
> posts/braces larger than 4 by 4s. 2 points
>
> Dock cross or abuts both a reasonably flat bottom and a depth change. 10
> points
>
> Dock abuts or houses a different type of cover (Rock/log/weeds/brush) 10
> points
>
> Dock comes off seawall rather than just off bank. 2 points
>
> Wooden Ladder off front face of dock. 1 point
>
> Complex shape (T or L instead of just a straight walk)5 points.
>
> Lone dock on a bank. Jackpot.
>
> Barking Dog on dock. negative 2 points
>
> Jet ski ramps on dock. Negative 2 points
>

> Just add up the points -- the higher the score, the longer I"m spending
> casting at it.
>

> RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing

Lure builder
September 8th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Stoney
If you got 2 bass try for a third. I'm sure that is the best bet for your
immediate next cast.

Lure builder
September 8th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Stoney
If you got 2 bass try for a third. I'm sure that is the best bet for your
immediate next cast.

September 13th, 2004, 01:25 AM
I love docks that are in or near deeper water. Also docks that will let
me skip a lure underneath them.