PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Grip?

SHRED©
November 29th, 2003, 03:18 PM
I am looking for a quality, cork handled, pistol grip casting rod, 6 to 6.5'
to house a Shimano Calcutta Conquest 50 for 6lb test action.

Any ideas? Links?

Thanks

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
November 29th, 2003, 03:27 PM
"SHRED©" > wrote in message news:TB2yb.23904$Bk1.23304@fed1read05...
> I am looking for a quality, cork handled, pistol grip casting rod, 6 to 6.5'
> to house a Shimano Calcutta Conquest 50 for 6lb test action.

Pistol grips have fallen somewhat from popularity, in favor of straight gripped rods. St. Croix
makes a 5'6" pistol grip casting rod in both the Avid and Premier series blanks.

BassPro has several different pistol grip rods in the $30 - $50 price range, but I can't vouch for
these rods as for years now, I only use rods I've built myself.
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

ñKs
November 29th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Consider the tourney tx from BPS

"SHRED©" > wrote in message
> I am looking for a quality, cork handled, pistol grip casting rod, 6 to
6.5'
> to house a Shimano Calcutta Conquest 50 for 6lb test action.
>
> Any ideas? Links?
>
> Thanks

SHRED©
November 29th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers wrote:
> "SHRED©" > wrote in message
>> I am looking for a quality, cork handled, pistol grip casting rod, 6
>> to 6.5' to house a Shimano Calcutta Conquest 50 for 6lb test action.
>
> Pistol grips have fallen somewhat from popularity, in favor of
> straight gripped rods. St. Croix makes a 5'6" pistol grip casting
> rod in both the Avid and Premier series blanks.
>
> BassPro has several different pistol grip rods in the $30 - $50 price
> range, but I can't vouch for these rods as for years now, I only use
> rods I've built myself.

Thanks Steve,

I have never owned a pistol grip so I am still debating it. I think it would
be fun since I will be using it a lot for pond fishing from an inflatabe
raft. Seems to me a pistol grip would be handy for casting in that
situation.

I'll probably borrow my friends, he has an old Crucial pistol grip, to see
if I like it.

SHRED

AJH
November 29th, 2003, 03:47 PM
A 6.ft 5'' pistol grip, you better start pumping some iron.. I have a
5ft 6'' pistol grip rod, med action made by Browning that I use for
spinnerbaits..6 lb test line on a baitcaster is not for me..You might
check Fisherman's Factory Outlet (FFO) for a pistol grip rod..

I fish therefore I lie

SHRED©
November 29th, 2003, 04:14 PM
AJH wrote:
> A 6.ft 5'' pistol grip, you better start pumping some iron.. I have a
> 5ft 6'' pistol grip rod, med action made by Browning that I use for
> spinnerbaits..6 lb test line on a baitcaster is not for me..You might
> check Fisherman's Factory Outlet (FFO) for a pistol grip rod..
>

> I fish therefore I lie

Yeah I kinda thought that 6.5" would tire the wrist fast.

Anyway--I am getting a Calcutta Conquest 50(Japan only)
http://www.profishing.net/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PN&Product_Code=8&Category_Code=Shimano+Bait+Casters

6 pound test would be perfect for what I am going to use it for.

Since pistol grips are mainly on short rods I probably will go with a longer
standard handle for greater casting distance.

Just throwing around ideas---thanks---SHRED

BassMr.
November 29th, 2003, 04:29 PM
I have two old pistol grip rods that I use to throw Flukes and Trick worms
with.It's easier to get the bait into tight places quietly for me.Bait
control.
They also work well with suspending jerk baits because it's easier to make
that motion with a shorter rod.
I believe they would be more comfortable and accurate from a float tube
w/out all that extra butt end.

AJH
November 29th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Nice looking reel, Falcon makes some light trigger rods that might be
what you are looking for..

I fish therefore I lie

ñKs
November 29th, 2003, 05:46 PM
http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=13409&hvarDept=100&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=2&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarget=browse
"SHRED©" > wrote in message
> I am looking for a quality, cork handled, pistol grip casting rod, 6 to
6.5'
> to house a Shimano Calcutta Conquest 50 for 6lb test action.
>
> Any ideas? Links?
>
> Thanks

ñKs
November 29th, 2003, 05:46 PM
sorry, you said 6 "

"SHRED©" > wrote in message
> I am looking for a quality, cork handled, pistol grip casting rod, 6 to
6.5'
> to house a Shimano Calcutta Conquest 50 for 6lb test action.
>
> Any ideas? Links?
>
> Thanks

Rob Storm
November 29th, 2003, 06:29 PM
>I am looking for a quality, cork handled, pistol grip casting rod, 6 to 6.5'
>to house a Shimano Calcutta Conquest 50 for 6lb test action.

Don't think I've seen a 6 1/2' pistol grip rod. I have some five footers, but
what always happens is that after a few one-handed casts, I find myself wanting
to use two hands, and the handle is simply too short.
You might get Steve to make you a pistol grip rod. If you use it a while and
like it, then GREAT. But if, after a few months, you find you'd rather have a
longer, straight grip like most of us prefer, then Steve might be able to add a
short extension and change the grip -- for a small fee of course. Don't know
if he could do that or not, but he was able to come up with the solution for a
special rod problem I had. In fact, I'm going to talk to him about a fly rod
with a removable foot long butt extension, just so I can carry the rod in a
regular rod holder while I'm kayaking.

Family, Friends, Fishing,
Rob Storm
http://stormsrestaurants.com

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
November 29th, 2003, 07:09 PM
"Rob Storm" > wrote in message
> >I am looking for a quality, cork handled, pistol grip casting rod, 6 to 6.5'
> >to house a Shimano Calcutta Conquest 50 for 6lb test action.
>
> Don't think I've seen a 6 1/2' pistol grip rod. I have some five footers, but
> what always happens is that after a few one-handed casts, I find myself wanting
> to use two hands, and the handle is simply too short.

***That's one of the reasons that pistol grip rods aren't in vogue any longer. They're great for
specialized applications, but most people don't (or won't) carry that many special purpose rods with
them.

> You might get Steve to make you a pistol grip rod. If you use it a while and
> like it, then GREAT. But if, after a few months, you find you'd rather have a
> longer, straight grip like most of us prefer, then Steve might be able to add a
> short extension and change the grip -- for a small fee of course. Don't know
> if he could do that or not, but he was able to come up with the solution for a
> special rod problem I had.

***I could do that. If you'd like to talk about it, let's take this to private conversation. I can
be reached at . I was meaning to ask you Robbis, how did that rod work
out for you?

> In fact, I'm going to talk to him about a fly rod
> with a removable foot long butt extension, just so I can carry the rod in a
> regular rod holder while I'm kayaking.

***Let me know. As soon as the deer season is over, I'll have a little time on my hands.....
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

> Family, Friends, Fishing,
> Rob Storm
> http://stormsrestaurants.com

Carlos
November 30th, 2003, 03:27 PM
I still have one old Berkley Bionix 5'6" pistol grip. Rarely if ever used
anymore. Great for certain situations. Last time I was using it, I was
catching fish about every third cast. But it irritated tendonitis in my
forearm so much, that I wanted to quit fishing two hours early in a
tournament because I was almost in tears from the pain. Once I got in pain,
switching to another, longer rod didn't alleviate it.

When fishing hurts, it's no fun.

Carlos

AJH
November 30th, 2003, 03:50 PM
I had a Berkley Bionix 5.6ft pistol grip rod, I bought it from a guy
who said it hurt his wrist, it hurt mine too and I sold it, My Browning
is ok..Must have been the handle..

I fish therefore I lie

Fshndgs428
December 1st, 2003, 06:54 AM
<< Great for certain situations. >>

I have a short, ultralite fishing rod with a pistol grip that I like using
around the edge of ponds with lots of trees and weeds around the shore. It's
compact and easy to cast for the short distances necessary to fish these types
of small ponds. Being an ultralite, it is easy enough on the hand and wrist
that I can go all day with it.