PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's Prodigy reel

SHREDİ
November 30th, 2003, 06:15 AM
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshootoutcapstrad.shtm

Of the following reels the Prodigy is what I am interested in the most.

Shimano Stradic
Daiwa Capricorn
Cabela's Prodigy

Anyone own one?
Opinions?

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
November 30th, 2003, 01:59 PM
"SHREDİ" > wrote in message news:jKfyb.24307$Bk1.5629@fed1read05...
> http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshootoutcapstrad.shtm
>
> Of the following reels the Prodigy is what I am interested in the most.
>
> Shimano Stradic
> Daiwa Capricorn
> Cabela's Prodigy
>
> Anyone own one?
> Opinions?

Of the reels listed above, I own a Shimano Stradic 2500 mg. The reel is very lightweight, has a
smooth drag, cranks smoothly without grinding or vibration and has held up to a season of my use
(which probably translates to 2 or more years of average usage). My only complaint is that it
doesn't hold a lot of line, but for 99% of the fishing I do with it (largemouth, smallmouth &
walleye), the capacity is sufficient. Will I buy another Stradic? Very probable.

The others? I won't comment as I don't have first hand experience with them.
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

Eric Ryder
November 30th, 2003, 05:28 PM
"SHREDİ" > wrote in message
> http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshootoutcapstrad.shtm
>
> Of the following reels the Prodigy is what I am interested in the most.
>
> Shimano Stradic
> Daiwa Capricorn
> Cabela's Prodigy
>
> Anyone own one?
> Opinions?

I'm not familiar with the Shimano or Daiwa models. If the Prodigy is the
baitcasting model, then I put two new ones into service at the beginning of
the season (to join the identical BPS RC old model reel, except for no
wiffle spool on the BPS). I love them and will probably get one ot two
more.

SHREDİ
November 30th, 2003, 05:47 PM
Eric Ryder wrote:
> "SHREDİ" > wrote in message
>> http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshootoutcapstrad.shtm
>>
>> Of the following reels the Prodigy is what I am interested in the
>> most.
>>
>> Shimano Stradic
>> Daiwa Capricorn
>> Cabela's Prodigy
>>
>> Anyone own one?
>> Opinions?
>>

> I'm not familiar with the Shimano or Daiwa models. If the Prodigy is
> the baitcasting model, then I put two new ones into service at the
> beginning of the season (to join the identical BPS RC old model reel,
> except for no wiffle spool on the BPS). I love them and will
> probably get one ot two more.

No they are spinning reels.
I have been looking and just found this reel which I am also considering:
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewquantumenergypti.shtm

Bob La Londe
November 30th, 2003, 05:49 PM
"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" > wrote in message

> "SHREDİ" > wrote in message
> > http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshootoutcapstrad.shtm
> >
> > Of the following reels the Prodigy is what I am interested in the most.
> >
> > Shimano Stradic
> > Daiwa Capricorn
> > Cabela's Prodigy

I have had mixed results with Cabelas Private Label products. Their Black
Label baitcasters sucked. Their telescoping rod broke easily. Their heavy
rods and the ones made by Quantum have held up ok. The rod carrier reviewed
on my website is wonderful.

I don't know about the Shimano.

I have had decent luck with Daiwa in the past.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

> > Anyone own one?
> > Opinions?
>
> Of the reels listed above, I own a Shimano Stradic 2500 mg. The reel is
very lightweight, has a
> smooth drag, cranks smoothly without grinding or vibration and has held up
to a season of my use
> (which probably translates to 2 or more years of average usage). My only
complaint is that it
> doesn't hold a lot of line, but for 99% of the fishing I do with it
(largemouth, smallmouth &
> walleye), the capacity is sufficient. Will I buy another Stradic? Very
probable.

> The others? I won't comment as I don't have first hand experience with
them.
> --
> Steve
> OutdoorFrontiers
> http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
> http://www.herefishyfishy.com

SHREDİ
November 30th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Bob La Londe wrote:
> "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" > wrote in
> message ...
>>
>> "SHREDİ" > wrote in message
>>> http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshootoutcapstrad.shtm
>>>
>>> Of the following reels the Prodigy is what I am interested in the
>>> most.
>>>
>>> Shimano Stradic
>>> Daiwa Capricorn
>>> Cabela's Prodigy
>>>

> I have had mixed results with Cabelas Private Label products. Their
> Black Label baitcasters sucked. Their telescoping rod broke easily.
> Their heavy rods and the ones made by Quantum have held up ok. The
> rod carrier reviewed on my website is wonderful.
>
> I don't know about the Shimano.
>
> I have had decent luck with Daiwa in the past.

The Prodigy is basically a "souped up" Daiwa Capricorn.

I am leaning now towards the brand new Quantum Energy PTi:
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewquantumenergypti.shtm

>>> Anyone own one?
>>> Opinions?
>>
>> Of the reels listed above, I own a Shimano Stradic 2500 mg. The
>> reel is very lightweight, has a smooth drag, cranks smoothly without
>> grinding or vibration and has held up to a season of my use (which
>> probably translates to 2 or more years of average usage). My only
>> complaint is that it doesn't hold a lot of line, but for 99% of the
>> fishing I do with it (largemouth, smallmouth & walleye), the
>> capacity is sufficient. Will I buy another Stradic? Very probable.
>>
>> The others? I won't comment as I don't have first hand experience
>> with them. --
>> Steve
>> OutdoorFrontiers
>> http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
>> G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
>> http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Richard Liebert
November 30th, 2003, 06:41 PM
I own two Prodigy 2000 spinning reels. They are fantastic. The drag and the
bail are superior to my two Shimano Stradics, one of which is the 2000MG.

"SHREDİ" > wrote in message
> http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshootoutcapstrad.shtm
>
> Of the following reels the Prodigy is what I am interested in the most.
>
> Shimano Stradic
> Daiwa Capricorn
> Cabela's Prodigy
>
> Anyone own one?
> Opinions?

Richard Liebert
November 30th, 2003, 07:35 PM
BTW I believe you can buy any reel from Cabelas, use it for about a month,
and if you don't like it they will take it back in exchange for something
else.Better check with Cabelas for the details, but you can probably try
both reels before committing. Also, I have not tried the "new" Stradic 2500.
The MG I referred to in my other post (I meant to write 2500MG) is not the
same as the "new" Stradic. The "new" Stradic has a lube port and I don't
know what else. It might be better than the MG.

Another feature I really like about the Prodigy 2000 is the non-folding
handle. I think it looks great and it has virtually no "play".

I also want to mention that I have a long hard season on one of my Prodigies
and my Shimano MG. Although they were both about the same when new, the
Prodigy is now smoother and has a more solid feel especially when under
load. Note though, the MG is not the same as the "new" Stradic.

You probably cannot go wrong with either reel. My choice clearly is the
Prodigy though.

"SHREDİ" > wrote in message
> http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshootoutcapstrad.shtm
>
> Of the following reels the Prodigy is what I am interested in the most.
>
> Shimano Stradic
> Daiwa Capricorn
> Cabela's Prodigy
>
> Anyone own one?
> Opinions?

SHREDİ
December 1st, 2003, 12:57 AM
Richard Liebert wrote:
> BTW I believe you can buy any reel from Cabelas, use it for about a
> month, and if you don't like it they will take it back in exchange
> for something else.Better check with Cabelas for the details, but you
> can probably try both reels before committing. Also, I have not tried
> the "new" Stradic 2500. The MG I referred to in my other post (I
> meant to write 2500MG) is not the same as the "new" Stradic. The
> "new" Stradic has a lube port and I don't know what else. It might be
> better than the MG.
>
> Another feature I really like about the Prodigy 2000 is the
> non-folding handle. I think it looks great and it has virtually no
> "play".
>
> I also want to mention that I have a long hard season on one of my
> Prodigies and my Shimano MG. Although they were both about the same
> when new, the Prodigy is now smoother and has a more solid feel
> especially when under load. Note though, the MG is not the same as
> the "new" Stradic.
>
> You probably cannot go wrong with either reel. My choice clearly is
> the Prodigy though.

Too much choice...AAAHH!

Good to hear the Prodigy holds up so well.
Now I am leaning that way.

> "SHREDİ" > wrote in message
>> http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshootoutcapstrad.shtm
>>
>> Of the following reels the Prodigy is what I am interested in the
>> most.
>>
>> Shimano Stradic
>> Daiwa Capricorn
>> Cabela's Prodigy
>>
>> Anyone own one?
>> Opinions?

Douglas Campbell
December 8th, 2003, 08:02 AM
I have fished a Shimano symetre for quite a few years - a good reel with
no vibration. I purchased a used nine ball bearing quantum response
re3sti this year and after relubing the continuous anti-reverse roller
bearing which had been slipping it has become my favorite. This reel
has many of the same features as the new energy pti. The one big flaw
was a finish that peeled off which the new reel replaces with the
titanium.

Doug Campbell