PDA

View Full Version : Batteries - Again - Ad Naseum

Bob La Londe
November 30th, 2003, 05:12 PM
I had the starting battery come up dead on me yesterday when I went out on
the river. I will replace it of course, but I figured I wanted to replace
my trolling motor batteries at the same time.

My partner for ABA (Hammer) uses a battery in his boat that is lighter than
a regular battery for its size. I think it is made by Interstate. Does
anybody know what battery that is?

Now, the hard question. Does anybody know of a better battery that is
lighter for the capacity?

I do not like Interstate. I used to use their gell cells for my alarm
company, and they were the worst batteries with the highest failure rate of
any battery I have used. I have also had a pretty high failure rate / short
service life with their batteries in my service trucks.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Acee
November 30th, 2003, 08:43 PM
I have had very good performance and value from Die Hard and Delco batteries
both in auto use and boat use for trolling and starting. In my opinion
lighter is not a good attribute to judge batteries for quality and
performance. My concern is that it is plate quality that is being
sacrificed which I suspect is the major mass of a battery. I could use some
up dating on that thought though.
Al C

"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> I had the starting battery come up dead on me yesterday when I went out on
> the river.
> snip
> Now, the hard question. Does anybody know of a better battery that is
> lighter for the capacity?
> snip

Bob La Londe
November 30th, 2003, 10:38 PM
No,, it looks to me like they are sacrificing some of the acid volume, and
maybe going to an impregnated fiber to hold it like in the Minn Kota
batteries.

--

"Acee" > wrote in message
> I have had very good performance and value from Die Hard and Delco
batteries
> both in auto use and boat use for trolling and starting. In my opinion
> lighter is not a good attribute to judge batteries for quality and
> performance. My concern is that it is plate quality that is being
> sacrificed which I suspect is the major mass of a battery. I could use
some
> up dating on that thought though.
> Al C
>
> "Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> > I had the starting battery come up dead on me yesterday when I went out
on
> > the river.
> > snip
> > Now, the hard question. Does anybody know of a better battery that is
> > lighter for the capacity?
> > snip

go-bassn
December 1st, 2003, 05:07 AM
I'm told to use the biggest, heaviest batteries that will fit in my boat.

Warren

"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> No,, it looks to me like they are sacrificing some of the acid volume, and
> maybe going to an impregnated fiber to hold it like in the Minn Kota
> batteries.
>
> --
> Bob La Londe
> Yuma, Az
> http://www.YumaBassMan.com
> Promote Your Fishing, Boating, or Guide Site for Free
> Simply add it to our index page.
> No reciprocal link required. (Requested, but not required)
>

> "Acee" > wrote in message
> > I have had very good performance and value from Die Hard and Delco
> batteries
> > both in auto use and boat use for trolling and starting. In my opinion
> > lighter is not a good attribute to judge batteries for quality and
> > performance. My concern is that it is plate quality that is being
> > sacrificed which I suspect is the major mass of a battery. I could use
> some
> > up dating on that thought though.
> > Al C
> >
> > "Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> > > I had the starting battery come up dead on me yesterday when I went
out
> on
> > > the river.
> > > snip
> > > Now, the hard question. Does anybody know of a better battery that is
> > > lighter for the capacity?
> > > snip

SHREDİ
December 3rd, 2003, 05:01 AM
Bob La Londe wrote:
> I had the starting battery come up dead on me yesterday when I went
> out on the river. I will replace it of course, but I figured I
> wanted to replace my trolling motor batteries at the same time.
>
> My partner for ABA (Hammer) uses a battery in his boat that is
> lighter than a regular battery for its size. I think it is made by
> Interstate. Does anybody know what battery that is?
>
> Now, the hard question. Does anybody know of a better battery that is
> lighter for the capacity?
>
> I do not like Interstate. I used to use their gell cells for my alarm
> company, and they were the worst batteries with the highest failure
> rate of any battery I have used. I have also had a pretty high
> failure rate / short service life with their batteries in my service
> trucks.

What about these Bob?

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/index.html

Bob La Londe
December 3rd, 2003, 05:19 AM
"SHREDİ" > wrote in message
> Bob La Londe wrote:
> > I had the starting battery come up dead on me yesterday when I went
> > out on the river. I will replace it of course, but I figured I
> > wanted to replace my trolling motor batteries at the same time.
> >
> > My partner for ABA (Hammer) uses a battery in his boat that is
> > lighter than a regular battery for its size. I think it is made by
> > Interstate. Does anybody know what battery that is?
> >
> > Now, the hard question. Does anybody know of a better battery that is
> > lighter for the capacity?
> >
> > I do not like Interstate. I used to use their gell cells for my alarm
> > company, and they were the worst batteries with the highest failure
> > rate of any battery I have used. I have also had a pretty high
> > failure rate / short service life with their batteries in my service
> > trucks.
>
> What about these Bob?
>
> http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/index.html

Yep, those are the ones Hammer runs in his Nitro.

I have Delco Deep cycles in mine, and the seem to work pretty good. I'm
going to try the Minn Kotas in my tin boat I'm getting for a backup.