PDA

View Full Version : Is gear oil... gear oil?

Charles B. Summers
December 1st, 2003, 05:42 AM
In my quest to get my boat ready for storage, I went down to the local
X-Mart for lower unil gear oil (grease?) They had only 2 quarts of Marine
80W90 GL5 gear oil, and I bought both quarts. Not knowing if this would be
enough to refill the lower unit, I went across the street to Advance Auto
and purchased a gallon of the same stuff... but it wasn't labeled as marine.

I know now that my gearcase only holds 22oz, so I kinda bought way too much.
But if it's the same stuff, I'm not too worried because it shouldn't go bad.
Anyone know if it has to be labelled for marine use, or is there a
difference in 80W90 GL5 grease???

--
Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
www.secretweaponlures.com

go-bassn
December 2nd, 2003, 06:13 AM
No worry Charles, I use melted butter in my gear case. Works fine...

WW;-)

"Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)> wrote in
message ...
> In my quest to get my boat ready for storage, I went down to the local
> X-Mart for lower unil gear oil (grease?) They had only 2 quarts of Marine
> 80W90 GL5 gear oil, and I bought both quarts. Not knowing if this would be
> enough to refill the lower unit, I went across the street to Advance Auto
> and purchased a gallon of the same stuff... but it wasn't labeled as
marine.

> I know now that my gearcase only holds 22oz, so I kinda bought way too
much.
> But if it's the same stuff, I'm not too worried because it shouldn't go
bad.
> Anyone know if it has to be labelled for marine use, or is there a
> difference in 80W90 GL5 grease???
>
> --
> Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
> www.secretweaponlures.com
> www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> www.midtennclassic.org

Charles B. Summers
December 2nd, 2003, 02:15 PM
Aww c'mon Warren... I was serious.

"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> No worry Charles, I use melted butter in my gear case. Works fine...
>
> WW;-)
>
> "Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)> wrote
in
> message ...
> > In my quest to get my boat ready for storage, I went down to the local
> > X-Mart for lower unil gear oil (grease?) They had only 2 quarts of
Marine
> > 80W90 GL5 gear oil, and I bought both quarts. Not knowing if this would
be
> > enough to refill the lower unit, I went across the street to Advance
Auto
> > and purchased a gallon of the same stuff... but it wasn't labeled as
> marine.
> >
> > I know now that my gearcase only holds 22oz, so I kinda bought way too
> much.
> > But if it's the same stuff, I'm not too worried because it shouldn't go
> bad.
> > Anyone know if it has to be labelled for marine use, or is there a
> > difference in 80W90 GL5 grease???
> >
> > --
> > Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
> > www.secretweaponlures.com
> > www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> > www.midtennclassic.org

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
December 2nd, 2003, 02:20 PM
"Charles B. Summers" (Comcast)> wrote in message
> Aww c'mon Warren... I was serious.

So was he, why do you think he's selling his boat? ;-)
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

Eric Ryder
December 2nd, 2003, 03:17 PM
And why not? It all runs out anyway after a few passes on the wrong side of
those redtopped spars....

"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> No worry Charles, I use melted butter in my gear case. Works fine...
>
> WW;-)
>
> "Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)> wrote
in
> message ...
> > In my quest to get my boat ready for storage, I went down to the local
> > X-Mart for lower unil gear oil (grease?) They had only 2 quarts of
Marine
> > 80W90 GL5 gear oil, and I bought both quarts. Not knowing if this would
be
> > enough to refill the lower unit, I went across the street to Advance
Auto
> > and purchased a gallon of the same stuff... but it wasn't labeled as
> marine.
> >
> > I know now that my gearcase only holds 22oz, so I kinda bought way too
> much.
> > But if it's the same stuff, I'm not too worried because it shouldn't go
> bad.
> > Anyone know if it has to be labelled for marine use, or is there a
> > difference in 80W90 GL5 grease???
> >
> > --
> > Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
> > www.secretweaponlures.com
> > www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> > www.midtennclassic.org

AJH
December 2nd, 2003, 04:32 PM
"spars" I haven't heard that term used in many years..

I fish therefore I lie

Jeff Durham
December 2nd, 2003, 10:52 PM
My limited understanding is that marine gear oil has emulsifiers in it.
This allows oil to mix with water if water should enter your drive unit
thereby providing some lubrication. Otherwise, the oil and water would
separate and you would have no lubrication on the lower part of the unit.

I don't think it is necessary. I use Redline's 75W90 GL5 gear oil in my
unit and it is not marine based. It is a great synthetic though. I don't
think the emulsifiers are really that necessary. If you get water into your
lower unit, you have worse things to worry about.

Jeff

"Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)> wrote in
message ...
> In my quest to get my boat ready for storage, I went down to the local
> X-Mart for lower unil gear oil (grease?) They had only 2 quarts of Marine
> 80W90 GL5 gear oil, and I bought both quarts. Not knowing if this would be
> enough to refill the lower unit, I went across the street to Advance Auto
> and purchased a gallon of the same stuff... but it wasn't labeled as
marine.

> I know now that my gearcase only holds 22oz, so I kinda bought way too
much.
> But if it's the same stuff, I'm not too worried because it shouldn't go
bad.
> Anyone know if it has to be labelled for marine use, or is there a
> difference in 80W90 GL5 grease???
>
> --
> Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
> www.secretweaponlures.com
> www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> www.midtennclassic.org

Charles B. Summers
December 2nd, 2003, 10:59 PM
Thanks Jeff!

"Jeff Durham" > wrote in message
> My limited understanding is that marine gear oil has emulsifiers in it.
> This allows oil to mix with water if water should enter your drive unit
> thereby providing some lubrication. Otherwise, the oil and water would
> separate and you would have no lubrication on the lower part of the unit.
>
> I don't think it is necessary. I use Redline's 75W90 GL5 gear oil in my
> unit and it is not marine based. It is a great synthetic though. I don't
> think the emulsifiers are really that necessary. If you get water into
your
> lower unit, you have worse things to worry about.
>
> Jeff
>

> "Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)> wrote
in
> message ...
> > In my quest to get my boat ready for storage, I went down to the local
> > X-Mart for lower unil gear oil (grease?) They had only 2 quarts of
Marine
> > 80W90 GL5 gear oil, and I bought both quarts. Not knowing if this would
be
> > enough to refill the lower unit, I went across the street to Advance
Auto
> > and purchased a gallon of the same stuff... but it wasn't labeled as
> marine.
> >
> > I know now that my gearcase only holds 22oz, so I kinda bought way too
> much.
> > But if it's the same stuff, I'm not too worried because it shouldn't go
> bad.
> > Anyone know if it has to be labelled for marine use, or is there a
> > difference in 80W90 GL5 grease???
> >
> > --
> > Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
> > www.secretweaponlures.com
> > www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> > www.midtennclassic.org

December 3rd, 2003, 05:55 AM
Geasr oil is gear oil, GL5 designates the performance specs the oil had to
exceed to get that spec. if they have the same wt and spec they are the same
oil, performance wise. Remember you fill it from the bottom hole forcing the
oil in till it leaks out the top, this ensures you get the right amount
without air bubbles in the gearbox.
Good fishing.