PDA

View Full Version : Ban on lead sinker sales in NY State

AJH
December 4th, 2003, 12:50 AM
In May of 2004 the sale of certain lead sinkers will be prohibited in NY
State..You will be able to use lead sinkers until a later date, does
anyone have details on the new law?

I fish therefore I lie

Bob La Londe
December 4th, 2003, 03:41 AM
"AJH" > wrote in message
> In May of 2004 the sale of certain lead sinkers will be prohibited in NY
> State..You will be able to use lead sinkers until a later date, does
> anyone have details on the new law?

Don't know anythign about this, but the AMA has been quietly pushing for a
ban on lead products for over a decade.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Outdoors Magazine
December 4th, 2003, 01:32 PM
I believe it is effective Jan 1 2004.

--
James Ehlers

Outdoors Magazine
www.outdoorsmagazine.net

"AJH" > wrote in message
> In May of 2004 the sale of certain lead sinkers will be prohibited in NY
> State..You will be able to use lead sinkers until a later date, does
> anyone have details on the new law?
>

> I fish therefore I lie

Spoonplugger
December 4th, 2003, 09:18 PM
We have a similar ban going into effect here in Canada in 04 as well
"Outdoors Magazine" > wrote in message
t...
> I believe it is effective Jan 1 2004.
>
> --
> James Ehlers
>
> Outdoors Magazine
> www.outdoorsmagazine.net
>

> "AJH" > wrote in message
> > In May of 2004 the sale of certain lead sinkers will be prohibited in NY
> > State..You will be able to use lead sinkers until a later date, does
> > anyone have details on the new law?
> >

> > I fish therefore I lie

Gone Angling
December 4th, 2003, 10:39 PM
The lead is harmful to waterfowl. They ingest it and it causes fatality. Loon
population has been effected and it is quantifiable.. Tin or bismuth maybe the
substitute.

Joe
December 5th, 2003, 04:08 AM
1.65% to 6.5% on Loons.
Hardly a crisis though we do need to proceed to a lead free environment.
IMHO Joe Z.
http://www.gameandfishcoalition.com/Lead.doc

"Gone Angling" > wrote in message
The lead is harmful to waterfowl. They ingest it and it causes fatality.
Loon
population has been effected and it is quantifiable.. Tin or bismuth maybe
the
substitute.

Marty
December 5th, 2003, 05:59 AM
Outdoors Magazine > wrote in message
t...
> I believe it is effective Jan 1 2004.

May 1.

Josh
December 5th, 2003, 11:23 PM
I'm glad you guys posted this. I'm headed back to upstate NY next year and
would have been chunckin n winding an fishing with the dang thangs. Now I'll
make a more concentrated effort to move away from lead weights.... as soon
as I use up the 8million I have in my worm hook box. <g>

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Gone Angling
December 6th, 2003, 12:19 AM
What i was surpised to find out is there can be a real concentration of sinkers
in one place. A place like the bottom of a pool near a dam.

Spoonplugger
December 6th, 2003, 02:02 AM
as opposed to the top of the pool?
"Gone Angling" > wrote in message
> What i was surpised to find out is there can be a real concentration of
sinkers
> in one place. A place like the bottom of a pool near a dam.

Chicago Paddling-Fishing
December 6th, 2003, 01:34 PM
AJH > wrote:
: In May of 2004 the sale of certain lead sinkers will be prohibited in NY
: State..You will be able to use lead sinkers until a later date, does
: anyone have details on the new law?

No, but you should be able to find quite a bit of research if you google or
yahoo "mute swans" "Thames" and "lead".

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page

AJH
December 7th, 2003, 03:10 AM
Lead bullets? Who hunts with a rifle over water? Lead shotgun shot is
already banned in most places.. The so called problem is with ducks and
Loons eating lead and dying...

I fish therefore I lie

JohnJ
December 7th, 2003, 03:17 AM
Hows about a ban on lead bullets instead?
"Josh" > wrote in message
> I'm glad you guys posted this. I'm headed back to upstate NY next year and
> would have been chunckin n winding an fishing with the dang thangs. Now
I'll
> make a more concentrated effort to move away from lead weights.... as soon
> as I use up the 8million I have in my worm hook box. <g>
>
> --
> God Bless America
>
> Josh The Bad Bear

December 7th, 2003, 06:47 AM
Didn't they sat the same thing about lead shot in shotguns? Where's all the
extra ducks and geese that should be in our flyways now?