PDA

View Full Version : Dog treats for bass?

imis_idora
September 16th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Has anyone here ever used dog treats(rawhide, pigs ears and such) as
trailers for other lures? I gave my dog a rawhide tonight and the
thought hit me. If uncle josh can get $4.00 bucks a jar, why can't I
make my own for far less? I am guessing if I soak a pig's ear or
rawhide in water for a few hours it should soften up enough to use. I
guess I could even boil them down with salt and garlic powder or in
beef or chicken broth for custom flavors. I could even use red food
coloring for that bleeding/dying effect. Has anyone ever tried this?
The theory seems good to me. I can buy 20 rawhides for less than $4.00
and I would guess make 40-50 trailers easy.

Look for them on e-bay next week. :-0 5 bucks a dozen! Hell, if other
people can steal dead guys lure designs and sell them for $18.00 a
pop, $5.00 a dozen for custom scented bleeding trailers should be a
steal! ;-)

Just a cheap thought.

Mike.

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
September 16th, 2004, 11:35 AM
On 16 Sep 2004 02:24:15 -0700, (imis_idora)
sent into the ether:

>Has anyone here ever used dog treats(rawhide, pigs ears and such) as
>trailers for other lures? I gave my dog a rawhide tonight and the
>thought hit me. If uncle josh can get $4.00 bucks a jar, why can't I
>make my own for far less? I am guessing if I soak a pig's ear or
>rawhide in water for a few hours it should soften up enough to use. I
>guess I could even boil them down with salt and garlic powder or in
>beef or chicken broth for custom flavors. I could even use red food
>coloring for that bleeding/dying effect. Has anyone ever tried this?
>The theory seems good to me. I can buy 20 rawhides for less than $4.00
>and I would guess make 40-50 trailers easy.
>
> Look for them on e-bay next week. :-0 5 bucks a dozen! Hell, if other
>people can steal dead guys lure designs and sell them for $18.00 a
>pop, $5.00 a dozen for custom scented bleeding trailers should be a
>steal! ;-)
>
>Just a cheap thought.
>
>Mike.
Good thought, give it a try. At first look it appears to be do-able.

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
September 16th, 2004, 11:35 AM
On 16 Sep 2004 02:24:15 -0700, (imis_idora)
sent into the ether:

>Has anyone here ever used dog treats(rawhide, pigs ears and such) as
>trailers for other lures? I gave my dog a rawhide tonight and the
>thought hit me. If uncle josh can get $4.00 bucks a jar, why can't I
>make my own for far less? I am guessing if I soak a pig's ear or
>rawhide in water for a few hours it should soften up enough to use. I
>guess I could even boil them down with salt and garlic powder or in
>beef or chicken broth for custom flavors. I could even use red food
>coloring for that bleeding/dying effect. Has anyone ever tried this?
>The theory seems good to me. I can buy 20 rawhides for less than $4.00
>and I would guess make 40-50 trailers easy.
>
> Look for them on e-bay next week. :-0 5 bucks a dozen! Hell, if other
>people can steal dead guys lure designs and sell them for $18.00 a
>pop, $5.00 a dozen for custom scented bleeding trailers should be a
>steal! ;-)
>
>Just a cheap thought.
>
>Mike.
Good thought, give it a try. At first look it appears to be do-able.

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Eric Ryder
September 17th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Have the ol lady chew 'em soft!

"imis_idora" > wrote in message
om...
> Has anyone here ever used dog treats(rawhide, pigs ears and such) as
> trailers for other lures? I gave my dog a rawhide tonight and the
> thought hit me. If uncle josh can get $4.00 bucks a jar, why can't I
> make my own for far less? I am guessing if I soak a pig's ear or
> rawhide in water for a few hours it should soften up enough to use. I
> guess I could even boil them down with salt and garlic powder or in
> beef or chicken broth for custom flavors. I could even use red food
> coloring for that bleeding/dying effect. Has anyone ever tried this?
> The theory seems good to me. I can buy 20 rawhides for less than $4.00
> and I would guess make 40-50 trailers easy.
>
> Look for them on e-bay next week. :-0 5 bucks a dozen! Hell, if other
> people can steal dead guys lure designs and sell them for $18.00 a
> pop, $5.00 a dozen for custom scented bleeding trailers should be a
> steal! ;-)
>
> Just a cheap thought.
>
> Mike.

Eric Ryder
September 17th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Have the ol lady chew 'em soft!

"imis_idora" > wrote in message
om...
> Has anyone here ever used dog treats(rawhide, pigs ears and such) as
> trailers for other lures? I gave my dog a rawhide tonight and the
> thought hit me. If uncle josh can get $4.00 bucks a jar, why can't I
> make my own for far less? I am guessing if I soak a pig's ear or
> rawhide in water for a few hours it should soften up enough to use. I
> guess I could even boil them down with salt and garlic powder or in
> beef or chicken broth for custom flavors. I could even use red food
> coloring for that bleeding/dying effect. Has anyone ever tried this?
> The theory seems good to me. I can buy 20 rawhides for less than $4.00
> and I would guess make 40-50 trailers easy.
>
> Look for them on e-bay next week. :-0 5 bucks a dozen! Hell, if other
> people can steal dead guys lure designs and sell them for $18.00 a
> pop, $5.00 a dozen for custom scented bleeding trailers should be a
> steal! ;-)
>
> Just a cheap thought.
>
> Mike.

go-bassn
September 17th, 2004, 05:57 AM
Looks like dopey's got another new screen name. Might as well call yourself
"Pork Builder"

Warren ;-)
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com

"imis_idora" > wrote in message
om...
> Has anyone here ever used dog treats(rawhide, pigs ears and such) as
> trailers for other lures? I gave my dog a rawhide tonight and the
> thought hit me. If uncle josh can get $4.00 bucks a jar, why can't I
> make my own for far less? I am guessing if I soak a pig's ear or
> rawhide in water for a few hours it should soften up enough to use. I
> guess I could even boil them down with salt and garlic powder or in
> beef or chicken broth for custom flavors. I could even use red food
> coloring for that bleeding/dying effect. Has anyone ever tried this?
> The theory seems good to me. I can buy 20 rawhides for less than $4.00
> and I would guess make 40-50 trailers easy.
>
> Look for them on e-bay next week. :-0 5 bucks a dozen! Hell, if other
> people can steal dead guys lure designs and sell them for $18.00 a
> pop, $5.00 a dozen for custom scented bleeding trailers should be a
> steal! ;-)
>
> Just a cheap thought.
>
> Mike.

go-bassn
September 17th, 2004, 05:57 AM
Looks like dopey's got another new screen name. Might as well call yourself
"Pork Builder"

Warren ;-)
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

"imis_idora" > wrote in message
om...
> Has anyone here ever used dog treats(rawhide, pigs ears and such) as
> trailers for other lures? I gave my dog a rawhide tonight and the
> thought hit me. If uncle josh can get $4.00 bucks a jar, why can't I
> make my own for far less? I am guessing if I soak a pig's ear or
> rawhide in water for a few hours it should soften up enough to use. I
> guess I could even boil them down with salt and garlic powder or in
> beef or chicken broth for custom flavors. I could even use red food
> coloring for that bleeding/dying effect. Has anyone ever tried this?
> The theory seems good to me. I can buy 20 rawhides for less than $4.00
> and I would guess make 40-50 trailers easy.
>
> Look for them on e-bay next week. :-0 5 bucks a dozen! Hell, if other
> people can steal dead guys lure designs and sell them for $18.00 a
> pop, $5.00 a dozen for custom scented bleeding trailers should be a
> steal! ;-)
>
> Just a cheap thought.
>
> Mike.

imis_idora
September 17th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Dan,
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have a pigs ear soaking right now
and it is softing up very nice. I will give it a try and see what
happens. To tell you the truth though I am not expecting good things.
I could fish a 30 foot round farm pond filled with a 100 bass and
still only catch the 2 carp (on a spinnerbait, no less) in the pond.
;-)

Eric,
Do you know my old lady? How did you know she likes gnawing on pig
ears? :-)hehe. If the soaking in water doesn't soften them up enough I
will give her a try!

Mike.

imis_idora
September 17th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Dan,
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have a pigs ear soaking right now
and it is softing up very nice. I will give it a try and see what
happens. To tell you the truth though I am not expecting good things.
I could fish a 30 foot round farm pond filled with a 100 bass and
still only catch the 2 carp (on a spinnerbait, no less) in the pond.
;-)

Eric,
Do you know my old lady? How did you know she likes gnawing on pig
ears? :-)hehe. If the soaking in water doesn't soften them up enough I
will give her a try!

Mike.

imis_idora
September 18th, 2004, 11:21 AM
"go-bassn" > wrote in message >...
> Looks like dopey's got another new screen name. Might as well call yourself
> "Pork Builder"
>
> Warren ;-)

Yep, dopey has a new screen name. You can call me "Pork Builder". It's
cool. You might be right. I'm just a troll. I didn't post any of my
idea for the world to see. Nobody could figure out my "custom lure".
Everyone had to send me $5.00 to see what it was all about. I only
posted that "I have invented (or found at a flea market) a world class
pork trailer that has great action and fishes 3x better than live
bait. Please send me $5.00 and I will send you 12 of these world class
super bass baits." Yep, that is exactly what I posted.

That's F-d up. I come here posting my first message asking for advice
on an idea I had and you equate me to a Lure Building troll. Thanks
for the advice, Warren. Let me ask you, how did you do at this years
NWC? The big zero huh? Not a single keeper. Maybe you should try Pork
Builder Lures custom trailers!

I think my trailer company's motto will be "We catch keeper's" Thanks
again for your input. They should sell great on e-bay. Can I count on
you for an endorsement?

Oh well. Maybe my ideas will help some of the other poor anglers out
there save a buck or two and still catch a fish. We can't all be
"pro's" making the big dollars like yourself.

Mike aka the Pork Builder.

imis_idora
September 18th, 2004, 11:21 AM

"go-bassn" > wrote in message >...
> Looks like dopey's got another new screen name. Might as well call yourself
> "Pork Builder"
>
> Warren ;-)

Yep, dopey has a new screen name. You can call me "Pork Builder". It's
cool. You might be right. I'm just a troll. I didn't post any of my
idea for the world to see. Nobody could figure out my "custom lure".
Everyone had to send me $5.00 to see what it was all about. I only
posted that "I have invented (or found at a flea market) a world class
pork trailer that has great action and fishes 3x better than live
bait. Please send me $5.00 and I will send you 12 of these world class
super bass baits." Yep, that is exactly what I posted.

That's F-d up. I come here posting my first message asking for advice
on an idea I had and you equate me to a Lure Building troll. Thanks
for the advice, Warren. Let me ask you, how did you do at this years
NWC? The big zero huh? Not a single keeper. Maybe you should try Pork
Builder Lures custom trailers!

I think my trailer company's motto will be "We catch keeper's" Thanks
again for your input. They should sell great on e-bay. Can I count on
you for an endorsement?

Oh well. Maybe my ideas will help some of the other poor anglers out
there save a buck or two and still catch a fish. We can't all be
"pro's" making the big dollars like yourself.

Mike aka the Pork Builder.

Fishing Arizona
September 20th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Whats a troll? And how can ppl be ****ed off at each other in a fishing
newsgroup?!?!?! Can't we all just get along?

"imis_idora" > wrote in message
om...
> "go-bassn" > wrote in message
> > Looks like dopey's got another new screen name. Might as well call
yourself
> > "Pork Builder"
> >
> > Warren ;-)
> >
> Yep, dopey has a new screen name. You can call me "Pork Builder". It's
> cool. You might be right. I'm just a troll. I didn't post any of my
> idea for the world to see. Nobody could figure out my "custom lure".
> Everyone had to send me $5.00 to see what it was all about. I only
> posted that "I have invented (or found at a flea market) a world class
> pork trailer that has great action and fishes 3x better than live
> bait. Please send me $5.00 and I will send you 12 of these world class
> super bass baits." Yep, that is exactly what I posted.
>
> That's F-d up. I come here posting my first message asking for advice
> on an idea I had and you equate me to a Lure Building troll. Thanks
> for the advice, Warren. Let me ask you, how did you do at this years
> NWC? The big zero huh? Not a single keeper. Maybe you should try Pork
> Builder Lures custom trailers!
>
> I think my trailer company's motto will be "We catch keeper's" Thanks
> again for your input. They should sell great on e-bay. Can I count on
> you for an endorsement?
>
> Oh well. Maybe my ideas will help some of the other poor anglers out
> there save a buck or two and still catch a fish. We can't all be
> "pro's" making the big dollars like yourself.
>
> Mike aka the Pork Builder.

Fishing Arizona
September 20th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Whats a troll? And how can ppl be ****ed off at each other in a fishing
newsgroup?!?!?! Can't we all just get along?

"imis_idora" > wrote in message
om...
> "go-bassn" > wrote in message
> > Looks like dopey's got another new screen name. Might as well call
yourself
> > "Pork Builder"
> >
> > Warren ;-)
> >
> Yep, dopey has a new screen name. You can call me "Pork Builder". It's
> cool. You might be right. I'm just a troll. I didn't post any of my
> idea for the world to see. Nobody could figure out my "custom lure".
> Everyone had to send me $5.00 to see what it was all about. I only
> posted that "I have invented (or found at a flea market) a world class
> pork trailer that has great action and fishes 3x better than live
> bait. Please send me $5.00 and I will send you 12 of these world class
> super bass baits." Yep, that is exactly what I posted.
>
> That's F-d up. I come here posting my first message asking for advice
> on an idea I had and you equate me to a Lure Building troll. Thanks
> for the advice, Warren. Let me ask you, how did you do at this years
> NWC? The big zero huh? Not a single keeper. Maybe you should try Pork
> Builder Lures custom trailers!
>
> I think my trailer company's motto will be "We catch keeper's" Thanks
> again for your input. They should sell great on e-bay. Can I count on
> you for an endorsement?
>
> Oh well. Maybe my ideas will help some of the other poor anglers out
> there save a buck or two and still catch a fish. We can't all be
> "pro's" making the big dollars like yourself.
>
> Mike aka the Pork Builder.

go-bassn
September 21st, 2004, 08:02 AM
Loosen up dude, I really thought you were him.

I'll pay the $4, by the way.

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

"imis_idora" > wrote in message
om...
> "go-bassn" > wrote in message
> > Looks like dopey's got another new screen name. Might as well call
yourself
> > "Pork Builder"
> >
> > Warren ;-)
> >
> Yep, dopey has a new screen name. You can call me "Pork Builder". It's
> cool. You might be right. I'm just a troll. I didn't post any of my
> idea for the world to see. Nobody could figure out my "custom lure".
> Everyone had to send me $5.00 to see what it was all about. I only
> posted that "I have invented (or found at a flea market) a world class
> pork trailer that has great action and fishes 3x better than live
> bait. Please send me $5.00 and I will send you 12 of these world class
> super bass baits." Yep, that is exactly what I posted.
>
> That's F-d up. I come here posting my first message asking for advice
> on an idea I had and you equate me to a Lure Building troll. Thanks
> for the advice, Warren. Let me ask you, how did you do at this years
> NWC? The big zero huh? Not a single keeper. Maybe you should try Pork
> Builder Lures custom trailers!
>
> I think my trailer company's motto will be "We catch keeper's" Thanks
> again for your input. They should sell great on e-bay. Can I count on
> you for an endorsement?
>
> Oh well. Maybe my ideas will help some of the other poor anglers out
> there save a buck or two and still catch a fish. We can't all be
> "pro's" making the big dollars like yourself.
>
> Mike aka the Pork Builder.

go-bassn
September 21st, 2004, 08:02 AM
Loosen up dude, I really thought you were him.

I'll pay the $4, by the way.

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

"imis_idora" > wrote in message
om...
> "go-bassn" > wrote in message
> > Looks like dopey's got another new screen name. Might as well call
yourself
> > "Pork Builder"
> >
> > Warren ;-)
> >
> Yep, dopey has a new screen name. You can call me "Pork Builder". It's
> cool. You might be right. I'm just a troll. I didn't post any of my
> idea for the world to see. Nobody could figure out my "custom lure".
> Everyone had to send me $5.00 to see what it was all about. I only
> posted that "I have invented (or found at a flea market) a world class
> pork trailer that has great action and fishes 3x better than live
> bait. Please send me $5.00 and I will send you 12 of these world class
> super bass baits." Yep, that is exactly what I posted.
>
> That's F-d up. I come here posting my first message asking for advice
> on an idea I had and you equate me to a Lure Building troll. Thanks
> for the advice, Warren. Let me ask you, how did you do at this years
> NWC? The big zero huh? Not a single keeper. Maybe you should try Pork
> Builder Lures custom trailers!
>
> I think my trailer company's motto will be "We catch keeper's" Thanks
> again for your input. They should sell great on e-bay. Can I count on
> you for an endorsement?
>
> Oh well. Maybe my ideas will help some of the other poor anglers out
> there save a buck or two and still catch a fish. We can't all be
> "pro's" making the big dollars like yourself.
>
> Mike aka the Pork Builder.

imis_idora
September 24th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Like I said before it's cool. I've been lurking here long enough to
know that being called a pork builder is not a compliment. Had one to
many Millers that night and went off. Sorry I came down so hard on ya.
Congrats on the Hudson win, by the way.

Oh yeah, I am charging $5.00 for the baits not $4.00. Just kidding. If
you really want some shoot me an email and I will send them to ya for
free. I have to warn you though, they came out pretty bad. I am out of
thin rawhides and tried the pig ear which seems a little thick. Not
much action but they do seem to have a nice fall rate by themselves.
Anyway if you want a couple let me know.

Mike