PDA

View Full Version : Spinning rod on a Flyrod blank

Nikolay
December 5th, 2003, 05:16 PM
Hi gang!

I was wondering if anybody has tried this. I'm thinking TN handle on a 8'6
or 9 ft. flyrod blank - for float'n'fly (and maybe some other ultralight
application?)
Is this a completely stupid idea? ... or if not, what
should be the weight rating of the flyrod blank?
The guides spacing is also under question - can I start with the spacing
chart for the flyrod guides, just tape some good Spinning guides and see
how it works?

Thanks,
Nikolay

Calif Bill
December 5th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Local rodmaker I know makes allmost all his spinning rods on fly rod blanks.
I think he shortens them for a better tip action.

"Nikolay" > wrote in message
.edu...
> Hi gang!
>
> I was wondering if anybody has tried this. I'm thinking TN handle on a 8'6
> or 9 ft. flyrod blank - for float'n'fly (and maybe some other ultralight
> application?)
> Is this a completely stupid idea? ... or if not, what
> should be the weight rating of the flyrod blank?
> The guides spacing is also under question - can I start with the spacing
> chart for the flyrod guides, just tape some good Spinning guides and see
> how it works?
>
> Thanks,
> Nikolay

Charles B. Summers
December 5th, 2003, 08:26 PM
How long and limber do you want? Are you wanting to build your own, or are
you just having a hard time finding what you want?

"Nikolay" > wrote in message
.edu...
> Hi gang!
>
> I was wondering if anybody has tried this. I'm thinking TN handle on a 8'6
> or 9 ft. flyrod blank - for float'n'fly (and maybe some other ultralight
> application?)
> Is this a completely stupid idea? ... or if not, what
> should be the weight rating of the flyrod blank?
> The guides spacing is also under question - can I start with the spacing
> chart for the flyrod guides, just tape some good Spinning guides and see
> how it works?
>
> Thanks,
> Nikolay

Nikolay
December 5th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Yes Charles, I want to build it myself. I already have some experience
changing guides and turning cork handles. Not an expert at all, but I
think I can do that. (and also I have the whooole winter ...)
I want a long rod - 8.5 to 9.5 ft for float'n'fly.
I want a long TN handle because it will be easier to balance the rod
by moving the reel (and is more convenient to hold).
How limber - that is the question. A rod for 2 to 4 pound test line. Small
jigs or small hooks (#8 to #16). A 8.5ft fast 6wt fly rod doesn't look too
limber ... but maybe I could go for 8 or 9wt?
I appreciate your help!
Nikolay

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Charles B. Summers wrote:

> How long and limber do you want? Are you wanting to build your own, or are
> you just having a hard time finding what you want?
>

> "Nikolay" > wrote in message
> .edu...
> > Hi gang!
> >
> > I was wondering if anybody has tried this. I'm thinking TN handle on a 8'6
> > or 9 ft. flyrod blank - for float'n'fly (and maybe some other ultralight
> > application?)
> > Is this a completely stupid idea? ... or if not, what
> > should be the weight rating of the flyrod blank?
> > The guides spacing is also under question - can I start with the spacing
> > chart for the flyrod guides, just tape some good Spinning guides and see
> > how it works?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Nikolay

Charles B. Summers
December 5th, 2003, 10:47 PM
If you were just looking for a rod, I was going to suggest the BPS brand
noodle rod. It was a great price for the few times that I was going to be
able to use it during the winter. But... if you want to build one, better
listen to Steve or Dave...

"Nikolay" > wrote in message
.edu...
> Yes Charles, I want to build it myself. I already have some experience
> changing guides and turning cork handles. Not an expert at all, but I
> think I can do that. (and also I have the whooole winter ...)
> I want a long rod - 8.5 to 9.5 ft for float'n'fly.
> I want a long TN handle because it will be easier to balance the rod
> by moving the reel (and is more convenient to hold).
> How limber - that is the question. A rod for 2 to 4 pound test line. Small
> jigs or small hooks (#8 to #16). A 8.5ft fast 6wt fly rod doesn't look too
> limber ... but maybe I could go for 8 or 9wt?
> I appreciate your help!
> Nikolay
>

> On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Charles B. Summers wrote:
>
> > How long and limber do you want? Are you wanting to build your own, or
are
> > you just having a hard time finding what you want?
> >

> > "Nikolay" > wrote in message
> > .edu...
> > > Hi gang!
> > >
> > > I was wondering if anybody has tried this. I'm thinking TN handle on a
8'6
> > > or 9 ft. flyrod blank - for float'n'fly (and maybe some other
ultralight
> > > application?)
> > > Is this a completely stupid idea? ... or if not, what
> > > should be the weight rating of the flyrod blank?
> > > The guides spacing is also under question - can I start with the
spacing
> > > chart for the flyrod guides, just tape some good Spinning guides and
see
> > > how it works?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Nikolay

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
December 6th, 2003, 04:24 AM
I saw one Steve Huber did. Interesting concept. I think he uses his
for crappies.

Speaking of fishing. Today after work I saw a guy on the ice on the
edge of the river in town. He was fishin there till well after dark.
The river is completely open and the ice he was on was at the mouth of
what looks like a slough(sp). I was able to see the guy after dark
cause he had a red light on his hat/head. I think he may have been an
escapee from an asylum.

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 12:16:26 -0500, Nikolay
> sent into the ether:

>Hi gang!
>
>I was wondering if anybody has tried this. I'm thinking TN handle on a 8'6
>or 9 ft. flyrod blank - for float'n'fly (and maybe some other ultralight
>application?)
>Is this a completely stupid idea? ... or if not, what
>should be the weight rating of the flyrod blank?
>The guides spacing is also under question - can I start with the spacing
>chart for the flyrod guides, just tape some good Spinning guides and see
>how it works?
>
>Thanks,
>Nikolay

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Calif Bill
December 6th, 2003, 06:25 AM
"Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard now"
> wrote in message
> I saw one Steve Huber did. Interesting concept. I think he uses his
> for crappies.
>
> Speaking of fishing. Today after work I saw a guy on the ice on the
> edge of the river in town. He was fishin there till well after dark.
> The river is completely open and the ice he was on was at the mouth of
> what looks like a slough(sp). I was able to see the guy after dark
> cause he had a red light on his hat/head. I think he may have been an
> escapee from an asylum.
>
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 12:16:26 -0500, Nikolay
> > sent into the ether:
>
> >Hi gang!
> >
> >I was wondering if anybody has tried this. I'm thinking TN handle on a
8'6
> >or 9 ft. flyrod blank - for float'n'fly (and maybe some other ultralight
> >application?)
> >Is this a completely stupid idea? ... or if not, what
> >should be the weight rating of the flyrod blank?
> >The guides spacing is also under question - can I start with the spacing
> >chart for the flyrod guides, just tape some good Spinning guides and see
> >how it works?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Nikolay
>

> Remove the x for e-mail reply
> www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Depends on the fly rod. My 8 wt I use for shad, would make a pretty good
spinning rod. I think he likes them because they are parabolic. Load up
over the whole rod. A 12 or 14 weight would be pretty much a medium /MH
rated rod.

As to ice on the river, it's been cold here 40 miles from San Francisco. 35
the other morning. Rain through the weekend.
Bill

G. M. Zimmermann
December 6th, 2003, 12:04 PM
I've seen guys change a few line guides on a 6Wt 9' flyrod, slap an ultra-light
spinning reel on it and fish for crappies. I think they said they were useing
1/80th and 1/100th oz jigs and fly fishing strike indicators as floats.
Would a similarly modified 7 or 8 wt flyrod suit your needs?

-Zimmy

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
December 6th, 2003, 01:13 PM
"Nikolay" > wrote in message
.edu...
> Hi gang!
>
> I was wondering if anybody has tried this. I'm thinking TN handle on a 8'6
> or 9 ft. flyrod blank - for float'n'fly (and maybe some other ultralight
> application?)
> Is this a completely stupid idea? ... or if not, what
> should be the weight rating of the flyrod blank?
> The guides spacing is also under question - can I start with the spacing
> chart for the flyrod guides, just tape some good Spinning guides and see
> how it works?

It's not a stupid idea at all. I have a 9' spinning rod that is on a 6 weight fly rod blank and
it's a ball to fish with. I also have a 3 weight that I built into a spinning rod and use for
crappies and walleyes.

The weight rating? That's going to be totally dependant on what YOU want in a rod. I would start
looking at 6 weight rod blanks and go up or down from there, again depending on what you want in the
rod.

As far as guide spacing, I would glue up the handle and install it. Then, with the reel taped in
alignment with the spine, start taping guides on. Thread the line through and start experimenting
with placement. You could probably start with the spacing chart for a flyrod, but don't be
surprised if that changes quickly. Remember that you want a nice curve to the line, no places where
there's a sharp angle or the line hitting the blank. You will probably end up with more guides than
a conventional spinning rod.

Good luck,
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

December 7th, 2003, 07:17 AM
Rule of thumb for fly rods is 1 number in line weight for every 1/16 oz of
max. lure weight, ie 1/4 oz max weight used on lures, a 4 weight blank.
Shortening any blank at either end will slow it's action, almost all fly
blanks are already slower than casting and spinning blanks. A nice,but
inexpensive blank to look at would be the Tiger Eye Series. Platte River
Rods would be a good source, around $25 to 30 a blank, you could make it
multi-piece to store easier.
Good luck on the rod.

Nikolay
December 8th, 2003, 04:24 PM
BIG thanks to everyone who responded - here or by e-mail!
I appreciate it. Tons of helpful info! You are great!
Cheers,
Nikolay