PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Software...

Charles Summers
September 23rd, 2004, 02:43 PM
Ok, with all the great suggestions that I had not though about, I'm going to
have to start from scratch again to get everything I need on the form.
Here's what people have asked for so far...

Name of (body of water)
Water Clarity
Water Temp
Depth

Weather (Sky) Conditions
Ambiant Temperature
Wind Direction
Wind Speed

Time
Date

Fish Caught
Length
Girth
Weight (can calculate based on length and girth)

GPS Co-ordinates
Waypoint Name

Tackle Used (Baitcast/Spinning/whatever)
Bait Used (Crankbait/Spinnerbait/Worm/Jig/etc...)
Line Size

Details of your experience.

Is this TOO much information?

--
www.secretweaponlures.com
www.outdoorfrontiers.com

pat gustafson
September 23rd, 2004, 03:25 PM
Charles,
Since you are using a db lookup, why not put a link to a thumbnail pic
and then to a picture of the fish that were caught there? You could even
link to pictures on abfp or outdoorfrontiers.

pat

pat gustafson
September 23rd, 2004, 03:25 PM
Charles,
Since you are using a db lookup, why not put a link to a thumbnail pic
and then to a picture of the fish that were caught there? You could even
link to pictures on abfp or outdoorfrontiers.

pat

alwaysfishking
September 23rd, 2004, 03:26 PM
I would also like a spot for the picture of the fish. I think at season's
end I could easily spend a day looking at others logs to see what worked for
them. That would be cool...but only if it included a picture spot :-)

"Charles Summers" > wrote in message
> Ok, with all the great suggestions that I had not though about, I'm going
> have to start from scratch again to get everything I need on the form.
> Here's what people have asked for so far...
>
> Name of (body of water)
> Water Clarity
> Water Temp
> Depth
>
> Weather (Sky) Conditions
> Ambiant Temperature
> Wind Direction
> Wind Speed
>
> Time
> Date
>
> Fish Caught
> Length
> Girth
> Weight (can calculate based on length and girth)
>
> GPS Co-ordinates
> Waypoint Name
>
> Tackle Used (Baitcast/Spinning/whatever)
> Bait Used (Crankbait/Spinnerbait/Worm/Jig/etc...)
> Line Size
>
> Details of your experience.
>
> Is this TOO much information?
>
> --
> www.secretweaponlures.com
> www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Charles Summers
September 23rd, 2004, 04:06 PM
I really thought about the pictures, but when you consider that you already
have the image on your hard drive... why would you want to duplicate it and
store it in a database file? That would also make for one huge db file,
slowing the program down.

Right now, I say we keep this simple and make updates/upgrades as needed.
Also, if anyone else here knows anything about Visual Basic, I'll be glad to
share the source code when I'm finished.

"alwaysfishking" > wrote in message
> [...]

going
> > have to start from scratch again to get everything I need on the form.
> > Here's what people have asked for so far...
> >
> > Name of (body of water)
> > Water Clarity
> > Water Temp
> > Depth
> >
> > Weather (Sky) Conditions
> > Ambiant Temperature
> > Wind Direction
> > Wind Speed
> >
> > Time
> > Date
> >
> > Fish Caught
> > Length
> > Girth
> > Weight (can calculate based on length and girth)
> >
> > GPS Co-ordinates
> > Waypoint Name
> >
> > Tackle Used (Baitcast/Spinning/whatever)
> > Bait Used (Crankbait/Spinnerbait/Worm/Jig/etc...)

pat gustafson
September 23rd, 2004, 04:41 PM
Charles Summers wrote:

> I really thought about the pictures, but when you consider that you already
> have the image on your hard drive... why would you want to duplicate it and
> store it in a database file? That would also make for one huge db file,
> slowing the program down.

It wouldn't enlarge the db file if you put a link to the pic, whether it
is stored on the hard drive, or somewhere in cyberspace. It would only
add a line or maybe two to the query response.

pat

Look at this for more GPS stuff.

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=58972&package_id=73995

pat gustafson
September 23rd, 2004, 04:41 PM
Charles Summers wrote:

> I really thought about the pictures, but when you consider that you already
> have the image on your hard drive... why would you want to duplicate it and
> store it in a database file? That would also make for one huge db file,
> slowing the program down.

It wouldn't enlarge the db file if you put a link to the pic, whether it
is stored on the hard drive, or somewhere in cyberspace. It would only
add a line or maybe two to the query response.

pat

Look at this for more GPS stuff.

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=58972&package_id=73995

Dre
September 23rd, 2004, 04:50 PM
I'd like to get the source code when you're done if you don't mind. I
learned VB in college a few years back so it would be a good refresher
to try and customize the application for my personal use.

Thanks!

Dre

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:06:44 -0500, "Charles Summers"
> [...]

>going
>> > have to start from scratch again to get everything I need on the form.
>> > Here's what people have asked for so far...
>> >
>> > Name of (body of water)
>> > Water Clarity
>> > Water Temp
>> > Depth
>> >
>> > Weather (Sky) Conditions
>> > Ambiant Temperature
>> > Wind Direction
>> > Wind Speed
>> >
>> > Time
>> > Date
>> >
>> > Fish Caught
>> > Length
>> > Girth
>> > Weight (can calculate based on length and girth)
>> >
>> > GPS Co-ordinates
>> > Waypoint Name
>> >
>> > Tackle Used (Baitcast/Spinning/whatever)
>> > Bait Used (Crankbait/Spinnerbait/Worm/Jig/etc...)

Charles Summers
September 23rd, 2004, 05:27 PM
Yeah, but if you move or rename it... it can do strange things to a program.

"pat gustafson" > wrote in message
> Charles Summers wrote:
>
> > I really thought about the pictures, but when you consider that you
already
> > have the image on your hard drive... why would you want to duplicate it
and
> > store it in a database file? That would also make for one huge db file,
> > slowing the program down.
> >
> It wouldn't enlarge the db file if you put a link to the pic, whether it
> is stored on the hard drive, or somewhere in cyberspace. It would only
> add a line or maybe two to the query response.
>
> pat
>
> Look at this for more GPS stuff.

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=58972&package_id=73995

Charles Summers
September 23rd, 2004, 05:27 PM
Yeah, but if you move or rename it... it can do strange things to a program.

"pat gustafson" > wrote in message
> Charles Summers wrote:
>
> > I really thought about the pictures, but when you consider that you
already
> > have the image on your hard drive... why would you want to duplicate it
and
> > store it in a database file? That would also make for one huge db file,
> > slowing the program down.
> >
> It wouldn't enlarge the db file if you put a link to the pic, whether it
> is stored on the hard drive, or somewhere in cyberspace. It would only
> add a line or maybe two to the query response.
>
> pat
>
> Look at this for more GPS stuff.

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=58972&package_id=73995

Lure builder
September 23rd, 2004, 05:36 PM
A section for opinions or impressions would be good.

Lure builder
September 23rd, 2004, 05:36 PM
A section for opinions or impressions would be good.

Henry Hefner
September 23rd, 2004, 10:42 PM
Charles Summers wrote:

> Is this TOO much information?

I don't think so, after all, it's not a problem to leave a space blank.

Henry Hefner
September 23rd, 2004, 10:42 PM
Charles Summers wrote:

> Is this TOO much information?

I don't think so, after all, it's not a problem to leave a space blank.

alwaysfishking
September 24th, 2004, 12:35 AM
I think having the picture to go along with the facts looks pretty cool. The
one freebie I got "Fishing Buddy" has it and it's pretty neat, especially
since my wife wants me to keep all those dam fish pictures together :-)

"Henry Hefner" > wrote in message
> Charles Summers wrote:
>

> > Is this TOO much information?
> >

> I don't think so, after all, it's not a problem to leave a space blank.

alwaysfishking
September 24th, 2004, 12:35 AM
I think having the picture to go along with the facts looks pretty cool. The
one freebie I got "Fishing Buddy" has it and it's pretty neat, especially
since my wife wants me to keep all those dam fish pictures together :-)

"Henry Hefner" > wrote in message
> Charles Summers wrote:
>

> > Is this TOO much information?
> >

> I don't think so, after all, it's not a problem to leave a space blank.

Andrew Kidd
September 24th, 2004, 01:06 AM
"Charles Summers" > wrote in message
> Yeah, but if you move or rename it... it can do strange things to a
> program.

Charles,
If you check for the existence of the picture file before calling an
operation to display it, you can prevent unwanted consequences by calling a
msgbox and exiting the routine instead of allowing a run-time error.
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

Andrew Kidd
September 24th, 2004, 01:06 AM
"Charles Summers" > wrote in message
> Yeah, but if you move or rename it... it can do strange things to a
> program.

Charles,
If you check for the existence of the picture file before calling an
operation to display it, you can prevent unwanted consequences by calling a
msgbox and exiting the routine instead of allowing a run-time error.
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!
http://www.rofb.net/ - ROFB Newsgroup Home

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
September 24th, 2004, 02:45 AM
In a word Charles, Yes.

BTW, thanks again.

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:43:28 -0500, "Charles Summers"
> sent into the ether:

>Ok, with all the great suggestions that I had not though about, I'm going to
>have to start from scratch again to get everything I need on the form.
>Here's what people have asked for so far...
>
>Name of (body of water)
>Water Clarity
>Water Temp
>Depth
>
>Weather (Sky) Conditions
>Ambiant Temperature
>Wind Direction
>Wind Speed
>
>Time
>Date
>
>Fish Caught
>Length
>Girth
>Weight (can calculate based on length and girth)
>
>GPS Co-ordinates
>Waypoint Name
>
>Tackle Used (Baitcast/Spinning/whatever)
>Bait Used (Crankbait/Spinnerbait/Worm/Jig/etc...)
>Line Size
>
>Details of your experience.
>
>Is this TOO much information?

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
September 24th, 2004, 02:45 AM
In a word Charles, Yes.

BTW, thanks again.

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:43:28 -0500, "Charles Summers"
> sent into the ether:

>Ok, with all the great suggestions that I had not though about, I'm going to
>have to start from scratch again to get everything I need on the form.
>Here's what people have asked for so far...
>
>Name of (body of water)
>Water Clarity
>Water Temp
>Depth
>
>Weather (Sky) Conditions
>Ambiant Temperature
>Wind Direction
>Wind Speed
>
>Time
>Date
>
>Fish Caught
>Length
>Girth
>Weight (can calculate based on length and girth)
>
>GPS Co-ordinates
>Waypoint Name
>
>Tackle Used (Baitcast/Spinning/whatever)
>Bait Used (Crankbait/Spinnerbait/Worm/Jig/etc...)
>Line Size
>
>Details of your experience.
>
>Is this TOO much information?

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com

RichZ
September 24th, 2004, 05:39 AM
If you'll allow me to interject a thought, I've been doing this (recording
my fishing efforts/results in a database for 35 years. My first db wasn't
even on a computer, but was done with punched index cards. Worked pretty
well, too, although as soon as I got my hot little hands into a CPM machine
back in the 70s, I went that way with it.

Anyway, my db is constantly being rewritten as I find new things to keep
track of. And the key for me is to record EVERYTHING. EG, weather trends
are at least as important as the current weather conditions, so I record
the weather every day, whether I go fishing or not. I also record the
approx time of weather changes during the day and any changes I note in the
fishing that might be related to them. When I come home from 2 days at
Champlain, it often takes me 90 minutes or more just to enter the data. An
awful lot of what I've written over the years is the result of the time
spent entering the data. I think that's the real benefit. Entering the data
forces you to think about the conditions and the perceived changes in the
fish activity that follow them.

But be sure, if you're going to do this, to use it to record EVERYTHING you
can think of that might matter, and even things you don't really think will
matter.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

[...]

September 24th, 2004, 01:16 PM
The best log is a handwritten one (Notebook). It is portable and personalized.
If you keep to narrative there is no compelling format to follow. Entering data
in a DB detracts from the fishing experience and i'm not sure that fish will
follow database trends. JMHO

Lure builder
September 24th, 2004, 01:16 PM
The best log is a handwritten one (Notebook). It is portable and personalized.
If you keep to narrative there is no compelling format to follow. Entering data
in a DB detracts from the fishing experience and i'm not sure that fish will
follow database trends. JMHO

Chris Rennert
September 24th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Lure Builder,

Lets see how quick you can compile a list of all the fish you caught when
the water temp was between 35 and 40 degrees in April on a Junebug lizard
during a full moon and a West Wind.
It all depends on why you save your data. If you want it just for memories
then yeah your notebook would work great (I had one for a couple years until
I wrote my fishing journal software), but if you want to use it to make
yourself a better fisherman and have "quick" access to data (if you don't
have hours to sort through years of written logs) then electronic is the
way to go (IMHO).

Chris
"Lure builder" > wrote in message
> The best log is a handwritten one (Notebook). It is portable and
> personalized.
> If you keep to narrative there is no compelling format to follow. Entering
> data
> in a DB detracts from the fishing experience and i'm not sure that fish
> will
> follow database trends. JMHO

Chris Rennert
September 24th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Lure Builder,

Lets see how quick you can compile a list of all the fish you caught when
the water temp was between 35 and 40 degrees in April on a Junebug lizard
during a full moon and a West Wind.
It all depends on why you save your data. If you want it just for memories
then yeah your notebook would work great (I had one for a couple years until
I wrote my fishing journal software), but if you want to use it to make
yourself a better fisherman and have "quick" access to data (if you don't
have hours to sort through years of written logs) then electronic is the
way to go (IMHO).

Chris
"Lure builder" > wrote in message
> The best log is a handwritten one (Notebook). It is portable and
> personalized.
> If you keep to narrative there is no compelling format to follow. Entering
> data
> in a DB detracts from the fishing experience and i'm not sure that fish
> will
> follow database trends. JMHO

Lure builder
September 24th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Chris
>Lets see how quick you can compile a list of all the fish you caught when
>the water temp was between 35 and 40 degrees in April on a Junebug lizard
>during a full moon and a West Wind.
>It all depends on why you save your data. If you want it just for memories
>then yeah your notebook would work great (I had one for a couple years until
>I wrote my fishing journal software), but if you want to use it to make
>yourself a better fisherman and have "quick" access to data (if you don't
>have hours to sort through years of written logs) then electronic is the
>way to go (IMHO).

I wouldn't need that level of detail. I want it for memories and ease of entry.
I look at it for fish caught and what date as an encouragement to go fishing
for instance early in the season. Sometimes the most relevant info is just
where and when but moon phase is not important. My lure choice will be
determined by real time conditions out on the water and what i have in my
tackle box.. A computer and software can be a SOW and turn fishing into work.

Lure builder
September 24th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Chris
>Lets see how quick you can compile a list of all the fish you caught when
>the water temp was between 35 and 40 degrees in April on a Junebug lizard
>during a full moon and a West Wind.
>It all depends on why you save your data. If you want it just for memories
>then yeah your notebook would work great (I had one for a couple years until
>I wrote my fishing journal software), but if you want to use it to make
>yourself a better fisherman and have "quick" access to data (if you don't
>have hours to sort through years of written logs) then electronic is the
>way to go (IMHO).

I wouldn't need that level of detail. I want it for memories and ease of entry.
I look at it for fish caught and what date as an encouragement to go fishing
for instance early in the season. Sometimes the most relevant info is just
where and when but moon phase is not important. My lure choice will be
determined by real time conditions out on the water and what i have in my
tackle box.. A computer and software can be a SOW and turn fishing into work.

Chris Rennert
September 24th, 2004, 03:59 PM
In your opinion, but it can also improve efficiency, you could choose a lure
in real-time, but maybe you are missing something in the whole picture.
Maybe you are choosing the wrong lure. I see it time and time again, a
person caught a fish on a lure in a specific instance, and so now that is
all they throw thinking that this is the lure. Because you catch 2 fish in
a spot doesn't mean you have found what they are eating, why didn't you
catch 5 or 10 or 15.
This may be unrealistic, but if I don't hook every fish in a given area I
didn't do enough, so that keeps me on my toes and keeps me striving to do
better. For instance, If I am fishing a deep hole for Steelhead, and I
catch 10, and I see a guy across the river fishing the same hole catch one,
I forget about the 10 I just landed and start wondering why I didn't catch
that fish. This is what drives me in fishing, and I will never stop until I
reach the point to where I can completely clean out an area, so this is
obviously a life long journey :-D, and I will use every single resource to
improve my efficiency.

Chris
"Lure builder" > wrote in message
> Chris
>>Lets see how quick you can compile a list of all the fish you caught when
>>the water temp was between 35 and 40 degrees in April on a Junebug lizard
>>during a full moon and a West Wind.
>>It all depends on why you save your data. If you want it just for
>>memories
>>then yeah your notebook would work great (I had one for a couple years
>>until
>>I wrote my fishing journal software), but if you want to use it to make
>>yourself a better fisherman and have "quick" access to data (if you don't
>>have hours to sort through years of written logs) then electronic is the
>>way to go (IMHO).
>
> I wouldn't need that level of detail. I want it for memories and ease of
> entry.
> I look at it for fish caught and what date as an encouragement to go
> fishing
> for instance early in the season. Sometimes the most relevant info is just
> where and when but moon phase is not important. My lure choice will be
> determined by real time conditions out on the water and what i have in my
> tackle box.. A computer and software can be a SOW and turn fishing into
> work.

Lure builder
September 24th, 2004, 04:12 PM
>In your opinion, but it can also improve efficiency, you could choose a lure
>in real-time, but maybe you are missing something in the whole picture.
>Maybe you are choosing the wrong lure. I see it time and time again, a
>person caught a fish on a lure in a specific instance, and so now that is
>all they throw thinking that this is the lure. Because you catch 2 fish in
>a spot doesn't mean you have found what they are eating, why didn't you
>catch 5 or 10 or 15.
>This may be unrealistic, but if I don't hook every fish in a given area I
>didn't do enough, so that keeps me on my toes and keeps me striving to do
>better. For instance, If I am fishing a deep hole for Steelhead, and I
>catch 10, and I see a guy across the river fishing the same hole catch one,
>I forget about the 10 I just landed and start wondering why I didn't catch
>that fish. This is what drives me in fishing, and I will never stop until I
>reach the point to where I can completely clean out an area, so this is
>obviously a life long journey :-D, and I will use every single resource to
>improve my efficiency.

My strategy is dogged determination. I fish as often as possible and look at
current conditions in the real time. I change lures frequently and retie each
time. All bases are covered and with this strategy fish are caught. The log is
a historical account of what happened

Lure builder
September 24th, 2004, 04:12 PM
>In your opinion, but it can also improve efficiency, you could choose a lure
>in real-time, but maybe you are missing something in the whole picture.
>Maybe you are choosing the wrong lure. I see it time and time again, a
>person caught a fish on a lure in a specific instance, and so now that is
>all they throw thinking that this is the lure. Because you catch 2 fish in
>a spot doesn't mean you have found what they are eating, why didn't you
>catch 5 or 10 or 15.
>This may be unrealistic, but if I don't hook every fish in a given area I
>didn't do enough, so that keeps me on my toes and keeps me striving to do
>better. For instance, If I am fishing a deep hole for Steelhead, and I
>catch 10, and I see a guy across the river fishing the same hole catch one,
>I forget about the 10 I just landed and start wondering why I didn't catch
>that fish. This is what drives me in fishing, and I will never stop until I
>reach the point to where I can completely clean out an area, so this is
>obviously a life long journey :-D, and I will use every single resource to
>improve my efficiency.

My strategy is dogged determination. I fish as often as possible and look at
current conditions in the real time. I change lures frequently and retie each
time. All bases are covered and with this strategy fish are caught. The log is
a historical account of what happened

Chris Rennert
September 24th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Lure builder, now this is a intellectual reply to a post. So I know you are
capable, which tells me that you do the idiotic posts on purpose just to get
a rise out of people. Why not just stay on the intelligent side of the
line and contribute to this group. There are some great people here, and
people you can learn from. Instead you opt to make stupid comments. You
can compare and contrast your posts, and I know that you are not the idiot
you pose as 90% of the time here. To me, I can care less, I just can't
believe you would spend so much time and effort trying to get a rise out of
people. Maybe my goals are different, but wouldn't you want people to look
at your posts as valid, and not roll their eyes the second they see your
name and not even read your posts? Oh well, to each his own.

> [...]

>>better. For instance, If I am fishing a deep hole for Steelhead, and I
>>catch 10, and I see a guy across the river fishing the same hole catch
>>one,
>>I forget about the 10 I just landed and start wondering why I didn't catch
>>that fish. This is what drives me in fishing, and I will never stop until
>>reach the point to where I can completely clean out an area, so this is
>>obviously a life long journey :-D, and I will use every single resource to
>>improve my efficiency.
>
> My strategy is dogged determination. I fish as often as possible and look
> at
> current conditions in the real time. I change lures frequently and retie
> each
> time. All bases are covered and with this strategy fish are caught. The

go-bassn
September 24th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Chris, you realize that your pattern has now been recorded in the idiot's
notebook as a reliable, early-fall trolling one...

Warren ;-)

"Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]

> >>catch 10, and I see a guy across the river fishing the same hole catch
> >>one,
> >>I forget about the 10 I just landed and start wondering why I didn't
catch
> >>that fish. This is what drives me in fishing, and I will never stop
until
> >>reach the point to where I can completely clean out an area, so this is
> >>obviously a life long journey :-D, and I will use every single resource
> >>improve my efficiency.
> >
> > My strategy is dogged determination. I fish as often as possible and
look
> > at
> > current conditions in the real time. I change lures frequently and retie
> > each
> > time. All bases are covered and with this strategy fish are caught. The

September 24th, 2004, 07:35 PM
I guess I believe there is always something you could say to make people
reflect on their actions and make them realize the time they spend on
certain things could be better used in other ways. For some people that is
just not possible. Oh well, I won't lose any sleep :-)

Chris
"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> Chris, you realize that your pattern has now been recorded in the idiot's
> notebook as a reliable, early-fall trolling one...
>
> Warren ;-)
>
> "Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Lure builder, now this is a intellectual reply to a post. So I know you
> are
>> capable, which tells me that you do the idiotic posts on purpose just to
> get
>> a rise out of people. Why not just stay on the intelligent side of the
>> line and contribute to this group. There are some great people here, and
>> people you can learn from. Instead you opt to make stupid comments. You
>> can compare and contrast your posts, and I know that you are not the
>> idiot
>> you pose as 90% of the time here. To me, I can care less, I just can't
>> believe you would spend so much time and effort trying to get a rise out
> of
>> people. Maybe my goals are different, but wouldn't you want people to
> look
>> at your posts as valid, and not roll their eyes the second they see your
>> name and not even read your posts? Oh well, to each his own.
>>
>> Chris
> is
> do
> catch
> until
>> >
>> > My strategy is dogged determination. I fish as often as possible and
> look
>> > at
>> > current conditions in the real time. I change lures frequently and
>> > retie
>> > each
>> > time. All bases are covered and with this strategy fish are caught. The
>> > log is
>> > a historical account of what happened

alwaysfishking
September 24th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Now that's funny and I don't care who you are. I can see Al writing it down
now