PDA

View Full Version : Multi-species tournament

Jim Laumann
September 26th, 2004, 07:43 AM
All

Fished the 4th and final contest in the series I posted on about a
month ago. This one was on Lk Tetonka, a 4-5000 natural lk
in S Central MN, lots of structure, a river in and river out. Some
residental areas, but plenty of untouched shoreline too.

Got the first fish of the day shortly after 7am - a itty-bitty LM of
about 5-6" came and smacked my Gold Shad /Gold Shiner SW. It
had the entire hook ingested, but we got it out. Two casts later,
in a small opening off the boat channel we were in, a 4-5# NP
(saw the body in the boil of water) took a swipe at it and missed -
argh.

Saw some laydown trees - switched to skipping a Fin-S Fish (not sure
how to describe the color) under it the first. Sean Barton had told me
about using these when we fished at the NWC a couple weeks
ago. Thanks Sean!

Felt a hit - set the hook - beat the fish out of the wood in to open
water - was gaining some line, and it was gone. Reeling in, the bait
was all twisted up on the hook - and the barb had barely penetrated
the "back" of the bait.

20-30 feet down the bank another tree - skipped in to the wood -
another hit - set the hook extra hard, felt the fish, and it left me
hanging in the tree. Argh!!! 3 decent fish, and not a one in the
boat.

My partner, Lloyd, is a walleye guy - and this is "his" lake, so
we tryed a reef - trolling - nothing. Tryed the river inlet - some
boats in the vincinity - but we marked fish, - w/ a jig and
minnow we picked up some nice crappie and walleye.

Then it was lunch break (all boats come in). After lunch,
we went back to the river - jigging. Tryed jigging rapalas
at the suggestion of another fisherman. Lots of hits, but
few takers. Lloyd a good LM come up and take a swipe
at his jigging rap - but the fish missed, and soaked him
(Lloyd) for his troubles).

Tryed the laydowns again - nobody home. So then we
started working docks - skipping plastics. Lloyd got
a 15-16" LM out of one, and had a 2nd LM wrap hime
around at piling, using a wacky rigged worm.

Weights for the day were good - one team had over 21# of
fish, mainly LM the got fishing over the various reefs. Large fish
was a 11.5# NP taken trolling.

We ended the day w/ 7.8# of assorted fish. We were
way back in pack for the event, but did well enough, that
we ended up getting 1st place for the 4 event series and $150
for our troubles. We beat out the 2nd place team for
the series by about 3oz.

Jim

alwaysfishking
September 26th, 2004, 04:42 PM
excellent, WTG Jim!!!

"Jim Laumann" > wrote in message
> All
>
> Fished the 4th and final contest in the series I posted on about a
> month ago. This one was on Lk Tetonka, a 4-5000 natural lk
> in S Central MN, lots of structure, a river in and river out. Some
> residental areas, but plenty of untouched shoreline too.
>
> Got the first fish of the day shortly after 7am - a itty-bitty LM of
> about 5-6" came and smacked my Gold Shad /Gold Shiner SW. It
> had the entire hook ingested, but we got it out. Two casts later,
> in a small opening off the boat channel we were in, a 4-5# NP
> (saw the body in the boil of water) took a swipe at it and missed -
> argh.
>
> Saw some laydown trees - switched to skipping a Fin-S Fish (not sure
> how to describe the color) under it the first. Sean Barton had told me
> about using these when we fished at the NWC a couple weeks
> ago. Thanks Sean!
>
> Felt a hit - set the hook - beat the fish out of the wood in to open
> water - was gaining some line, and it was gone. Reeling in, the bait
> was all twisted up on the hook - and the barb had barely penetrated
> the "back" of the bait.
>
> 20-30 feet down the bank another tree - skipped in to the wood -
> another hit - set the hook extra hard, felt the fish, and it left me
> hanging in the tree. Argh!!! 3 decent fish, and not a one in the
> boat.
>
> My partner, Lloyd, is a walleye guy - and this is "his" lake, so
> we tryed a reef - trolling - nothing. Tryed the river inlet - some
> boats in the vincinity - but we marked fish, - w/ a jig and
> minnow we picked up some nice crappie and walleye.
>
> Then it was lunch break (all boats come in). After lunch,
> we went back to the river - jigging. Tryed jigging rapalas
> at the suggestion of another fisherman. Lots of hits, but
> few takers. Lloyd a good LM come up and take a swipe
> at his jigging rap - but the fish missed, and soaked him
> (Lloyd) for his troubles).
>
> Tryed the laydowns again - nobody home. So then we
> started working docks - skipping plastics. Lloyd got
> a 15-16" LM out of one, and had a 2nd LM wrap hime
> around at piling, using a wacky rigged worm.
>
> Weights for the day were good - one team had over 21# of
> fish, mainly LM the got fishing over the various reefs. Large fish
> was a 11.5# NP taken trolling.
>
> We ended the day w/ 7.8# of assorted fish. We were
> way back in pack for the event, but did well enough, that
> we ended up getting 1st place for the 4 event series and $150
> for our troubles. We beat out the 2nd place team for
> the series by about 3oz.
>
> Jim

RGarri7470
September 27th, 2004, 02:26 AM
Congrats Jim - you are gonna get hooked on this tournament fishing stuff yet!
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com