PDA

View Full Version : Soft-hackled Flies

Stuart DeWolfe
September 26th, 2004, 07:21 PM
I am interested in trying may hand at fishing the soft-hackled flies next trout season. I fish mainly small streams & rivers & occasionally the odd small lake. Is there a tried & true method (or preferred method) of fishing these type of flies? I appreciate all information or tips on this matter. Thank you in advance

--
Tight Lines & Great Memories
Stuart DeWolfe

Tim J.
September 27th, 2004, 02:38 AM
Stuart DeWolfe wrote:
> I am interested in trying may hand at fishing the soft-hackled flies
> next trout season. I fish mainly small streams & rivers &
> occasionally the odd small lake. Is there a tried & true method (or
> preferred method) of fishing these type of flies? I appreciate all
> information or tips on this matter. Thank you in advance

On the advice of another newsgroup, I tried several soft hackle flies this year
with good success. My two favorites were the partridge and orange (
http://gula.org/roffswaps/recipe.php?page=DD2003&id=1 ), and the yellow biot
soft hackle ( http://gula.org/roffswaps/recipe.php?page=DD2003&id=6 ). I fished
them two ways: with the smallest split shot I could find (just enough to get
them beneath the surface, and without the shot. I found them successful without
the shot mainly after letting them drift downstream and then slowly stipping
them back upstream. Many strikes were made at the very end of the drift just as
the fly got enough drag on it to submerge.
--
TL,
Tim

Tim J.
September 27th, 2004, 02:38 AM
Stuart DeWolfe wrote:
> I am interested in trying may hand at fishing the soft-hackled flies
> next trout season. I fish mainly small streams & rivers &
> occasionally the odd small lake. Is there a tried & true method (or
> preferred method) of fishing these type of flies? I appreciate all
> information or tips on this matter. Thank you in advance

On the advice of another newsgroup, I tried several soft hackle flies this year
with good success. My two favorites were the partridge and orange (
http://gula.org/roffswaps/recipe.php?page=DD2003&id=1 ), and the yellow biot
soft hackle ( http://gula.org/roffswaps/recipe.php?page=DD2003&id=6 ). I fished
them two ways: with the smallest split shot I could find (just enough to get
them beneath the surface, and without the shot. I found them successful without
the shot mainly after letting them drift downstream and then slowly stipping
them back upstream. Many strikes were made at the very end of the drift just as
the fly got enough drag on it to submerge.
--
TL,
Tim
http://css.sbcma.com/timj

Stuart DeWolfe
September 27th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Thank you Tim. Ill tie up a few patterns then & give the down stream
(without the shot) a try.

"Tim J." > wrote in message
> Stuart DeWolfe wrote:
>> I am interested in trying may hand at fishing the soft-hackled flies
>> next trout season. I fish mainly small streams & rivers &
>> occasionally the odd small lake. Is there a tried & true method (or
>> preferred method) of fishing these type of flies? I appreciate all
>> information or tips on this matter. Thank you in advance
>
> On the advice of another newsgroup, I tried several soft hackle flies this
> year with good success. My two favorites were the partridge and orange (
> http://gula.org/roffswaps/recipe.php?page=DD2003&id=1 ), and the yellow
> biot soft hackle (
> http://gula.org/roffswaps/recipe.php?page=DD2003&id=6 ). I fished them two
> ways: with the smallest split shot I could find (just enough to get them
> beneath the surface, and without the shot. I found them successful without
> the shot mainly after letting them drift downstream and then slowly
> stipping them back upstream. Many strikes were made at the very end of the
> drift just as the fly got enough drag on it to submerge.
> --
> TL,
> Tim
> http://css.sbcma.com/timj

Steve
October 21st, 2004, 03:52 AM
I just tie them on as a dropper when fishing a nymph pattern. Fish the
nymph as you normally would (down deep on a dead drift) and when its totaly
down stream and the current starts pulling your line back to the surface,
the soft hackle will pulsate as it rises.

If there is any fish in the vacinity, it won't be able to resist it.

The softhackle is one of those forgotten flies but it works surprisingly
well. Even when there isn't a hatch in sight.

Steve (Hoss)

"Stuart DeWolfe" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]

> >> information or tips on this matter. Thank you in advance
> >
> > On the advice of another newsgroup, I tried several soft hackle flies
this
> > year with good success. My two favorites were the partridge and orange (
> > http://gula.org/roffswaps/recipe.php?page=DD2003&id=1 ), and the yellow
> > biot soft hackle (
> > http://gula.org/roffswaps/recipe.php?page=DD2003&id=6 ). I fished them
two
> > ways: with the smallest split shot I could find (just enough to get them
> > beneath the surface, and without the shot. I found them successful
without
> > the shot mainly after letting them drift downstream and then slowly
> > stipping them back upstream. Many strikes were made at the very end of
the
> > drift just as the fly got enough drag on it to submerge.

tony weall
October 21st, 2004, 04:42 AM
when you say as a dropper do you attach it to the nymph bend so it is below
the nymph or above it on a dropper loop

"Steve" > wrote in message
>I just tie them on as a dropper when fishing a nymph pattern. Fish the
> nymph as you normally would (down deep on a dead drift) and when its
> totaly
> down stream and the current starts pulling your line back to the surface,
> the soft hackle will pulsate as it rises.
>
> If there is any fish in the vacinity, it won't be able to resist it.
>
> The softhackle is one of those forgotten flies but it works surprisingly
> well. Even when there isn't a hatch in sight.
>
> Steve (Hoss)
>
> "Stuart DeWolfe" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Thank you Tim. Ill tie up a few patterns then & give the down stream
>> (without the shot) a try.
>> "Tim J." > wrote in message
>> >
>> > On the advice of another newsgroup, I tried several soft hackle flies
> this
>> > year with good success. My two favorites were the partridge and orange
>> > (
>> > http://gula.org/roffswaps/recipe.php?page=DD2003&id=1 ), and the yellow
>> > biot soft hackle (
>> > http://gula.org/roffswaps/recipe.php?page=DD2003&id=6 ). I fished them
> two
>> > ways: with the smallest split shot I could find (just enough to get
>> > them
>> > beneath the surface, and without the shot. I found them successful
> without
>> > the shot mainly after letting them drift downstream and then slowly
>> > stipping them back upstream. Many strikes were made at the very end of
> the
>> > drift just as the fly got enough drag on it to submerge.
>> > --
>> > TL,
>> > Tim
>> > http://css.sbcma.com/timj

Steve
October 22nd, 2004, 12:59 AM
On the bend of the nymph hook. 12 to 18 inches of leader will do.

I've never tried a dropper loop as I've been told they tangle like the
dickens. I just put them in tandem.

This is my nymph rig: indicator (large enough to float the rig) followed by
at least 6 feet of leader. Split shot to get it down. Don't be shy. Get it
down quick. My river is pretty fast (The Bow River). About 12in of leader.
Nymph of choice. Another 12 - 18in of leader. Two flies are legal here, so
far. Softhackle.

Works great.

-Steve (Hoss)

"tony weall" > wrote in message
> when you say as a dropper do you attach it to the nymph bend so it is
below
> the nymph or above it on a dropper loop
> "Steve" > wrote in message
> >I just tie them on as a dropper when fishing a nymph pattern. Fish the
> > nymph as you normally would (down deep on a dead drift) and when its
> > totaly
> > down stream and the current starts pulling your line back to the
surface,
> > the soft hackle will pulsate as it rises.
> >
> > If there is any fish in the vacinity, it won't be able to resist it.
> >
> > The softhackle is one of those forgotten flies but it works surprisingly
> > well. Even when there isn't a hatch in sight.
> >
> > Steve (Hoss)
> >
> > "Stuart DeWolfe" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> >> Thank you Tim. Ill tie up a few patterns then & give the down
stream
> >> (without the shot) a try.
> >> "Tim J." > wrote in message

> > this
> > two
> > without
> > the

tony weall
November 10th, 2004, 08:15 AM
thanks steve ill give it a go and let you know how it works in australia
regards
tony