PDA

View Full Version : OT Well it was nice while it lasted

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
September 29th, 2004, 12:52 PM
For those that don't remember, I moved to Merrill, WI last November
for a pretty good job. Yesterday I got laid off. Oh, they want me
back but have no contracts signed for new work so they don't know when
it will be. The vote was 3 to 1 by the owners. How the hell can a
company with active OSHA complaints function without a safety person?

How do you get people that try to sign checks with a pencil to
understand just how much money is saved by an active safety person?
The day before I was laid off I started 4 Powerpoint based training
refresher programs. All are basically finished except for inserting a
few pictures and videos. Those programs alone, if purchased from a
consultant would pay my salary for close to a month. They reinforce
the OSHA 30 Hour I taught last year and meet all OSHA regs for
information included in them.

Anyone know of a safety position in Northcentral WI? I really like
the area and want to stay if I can.

Thanks for letting me vent here. I think I am going to go fishing
now. I may just anchor on this little lake here in town and drink
while watching a bobber :<}

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com

go-bassn
September 29th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Sorry Dan. But I hear the word "severance" is interchangeable with the word
"fishing vacation", as in "severance pay"...

Warren

"Charles Summers" > wrote in message
> Sorry to hear that Dan... but remember that if you're going to drink and
> fish, drink coffee! Which, by the way... I know a great little coffee
house
> in Rhinelander.
>

> "Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard now"
> > wrote in message
> > For those that don't remember, I moved to Merrill, WI last November
> > for a pretty good job. Yesterday I got laid off. Oh, they want me
> > back but have no contracts signed for new work so they don't know when
> > it will be. The vote was 3 to 1 by the owners. How the hell can a
> > company with active OSHA complaints function without a safety person?
> >
> > How do you get people that try to sign checks with a pencil to
> > understand just how much money is saved by an active safety person?
> > The day before I was laid off I started 4 Powerpoint based training
> > refresher programs. All are basically finished except for inserting a
> > few pictures and videos. Those programs alone, if purchased from a
> > consultant would pay my salary for close to a month. They reinforce
> > the OSHA 30 Hour I taught last year and meet all OSHA regs for
> > information included in them.
> >
> > Anyone know of a safety position in Northcentral WI? I really like
> > the area and want to stay if I can.
> >
> > Thanks for letting me vent here. I think I am going to go fishing
> > now. I may just anchor on this little lake here in town and drink
> > while watching a bobber :<}
> >
> > Remove the x for e-mail reply
> > www.outdoorfrontiers.com

alwaysfishking
September 29th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Unfortunately many companies don't even offer a severence pay if the
employee has not been there for a while. Being involved in a very big
business myself, it constantly amazes me at the way these companies try to
save money. My company is a prime example of people at the top not taking
the time to listen to the people who actually do the work.

R-
"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> Sorry Dan. But I hear the word "severance" is interchangeable with the
word
> "fishing vacation", as in "severance pay"...
>
> Warren
>
> "Charles Summers" > wrote in message
> > Sorry to hear that Dan... but remember that if you're going to drink and
> > fish, drink coffee! Which, by the way... I know a great little coffee
> house
> > in Rhinelander.
> >

> > "Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard now"
> > > wrote in message
> > > For those that don't remember, I moved to Merrill, WI last November
> > > for a pretty good job. Yesterday I got laid off. Oh, they want me
> > > back but have no contracts signed for new work so they don't know when
> > > it will be. The vote was 3 to 1 by the owners. How the hell can a
> > > company with active OSHA complaints function without a safety person?
> > >
> > > How do you get people that try to sign checks with a pencil to
> > > understand just how much money is saved by an active safety person?
> > > The day before I was laid off I started 4 Powerpoint based training
> > > refresher programs. All are basically finished except for inserting a
> > > few pictures and videos. Those programs alone, if purchased from a
> > > consultant would pay my salary for close to a month. They reinforce
> > > the OSHA 30 Hour I taught last year and meet all OSHA regs for
> > > information included in them.
> > >
> > > Anyone know of a safety position in Northcentral WI? I really like
> > > the area and want to stay if I can.
> > >
> > > Thanks for letting me vent here. I think I am going to go fishing
> > > now. I may just anchor on this little lake here in town and drink
> > > while watching a bobber :<}
> > >
> > > Remove the x for e-mail reply
> > > www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Gary Wilber
September 29th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Sorry to here about your work situation. My wife used to be a safety
person before becoming a stay at home mom. I constantly heard about
company's lack or caring about safety and how quickly they dismiss
saftey people when times get tough. Hopefully you will find
something. You live in a great area and it would be ashame to have to
leave. Maybe Steve can expand his guiding service and hire you on.
Good Luck!

Gary

steve burison
September 29th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Hey Dan,
sorry to hear about the layoff. Been there myself a couple of times. Enjoy
some of that fishing and best wishes in finding a new job in the area.

Steve

"Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard now"
> wrote in message
> For those that don't remember, I moved to Merrill, WI last November
> for a pretty good job. Yesterday I got laid off. Oh, they want me
> back but have no contracts signed for new work so they don't know when
> it will be. The vote was 3 to 1 by the owners. How the hell can a
> company with active OSHA complaints function without a safety person?
>
> How do you get people that try to sign checks with a pencil to
> understand just how much money is saved by an active safety person?
> The day before I was laid off I started 4 Powerpoint based training
> refresher programs. All are basically finished except for inserting a
> few pictures and videos. Those programs alone, if purchased from a
> consultant would pay my salary for close to a month. They reinforce
> the OSHA 30 Hour I taught last year and meet all OSHA regs for
> information included in them.
>
> Anyone know of a safety position in Northcentral WI? I really like
> the area and want to stay if I can.
>
> Thanks for letting me vent here. I think I am going to go fishing
> now. I may just anchor on this little lake here in town and drink
> while watching a bobber :<}
>
> Remove the x for e-mail reply
> www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
September 30th, 2004, 12:29 AM
I have to say thanks to all I have spoken with and for the messages
here. It really is nice to know a group of people like the ROFB. So
far I have been asked by 2 companies for a resume. One will be a 3 to
5 month job 20 minutes away and the other is unknown.

Thanks for all the encouragement. It really is appreciated.

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 06:52:07 -0500, "Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard,
actually Greybeard now" > sent into the ether:

>For those that don't remember, I moved to Merrill, WI last November
>for a pretty good job. Yesterday I got laid off. Oh, they want me
>back but have no contracts signed for new work so they don't know when
>it will be. The vote was 3 to 1 by the owners. How the hell can a
>company with active OSHA complaints function without a safety person?
>
>How do you get people that try to sign checks with a pencil to
>understand just how much money is saved by an active safety person?
>The day before I was laid off I started 4 Powerpoint based training
>refresher programs. All are basically finished except for inserting a
>few pictures and videos. Those programs alone, if purchased from a
>consultant would pay my salary for close to a month. They reinforce
>the OSHA 30 Hour I taught last year and meet all OSHA regs for
>information included in them.
>
>Anyone know of a safety position in Northcentral WI? I really like
>the area and want to stay if I can.
>
>Thanks for letting me vent here. I think I am going to go fishing
>now. I may just anchor on this little lake here in town and drink
>while watching a bobber :<}

>Remove the x for e-mail reply
>www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com

RGarri7470
September 30th, 2004, 03:11 AM
Hate to hear that Dan. Hope something comes through for you.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)
September 30th, 2004, 03:40 AM
Dan, you need to tell them that they don't want this group to come up there
to kick ass and take names. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, hope it all
clears up soon.

"Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard now"
> wrote in message
> For those that don't remember, I moved to Merrill, WI last November
> for a pretty good job. Yesterday I got laid off. Oh, they want me
> back but have no contracts signed for new work so they don't know when
> it will be. The vote was 3 to 1 by the owners. How the hell can a
> company with active OSHA complaints function without a safety person?
>
> How do you get people that try to sign checks with a pencil to
> understand just how much money is saved by an active safety person?
> The day before I was laid off I started 4 Powerpoint based training
> refresher programs. All are basically finished except for inserting a
> few pictures and videos. Those programs alone, if purchased from a
> consultant would pay my salary for close to a month. They reinforce
> the OSHA 30 Hour I taught last year and meet all OSHA regs for
> information included in them.
>
> Anyone know of a safety position in Northcentral WI? I really like
> the area and want to stay if I can.
>
> Thanks for letting me vent here. I think I am going to go fishing
> now. I may just anchor on this little lake here in town and drink
> while watching a bobber :<}
>
> Remove the x for e-mail reply
> www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Jim Laumann
September 30th, 2004, 03:58 AM
Dan

Hope things go better in the future for you - but right now - you got
fall fishing.

Jim

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 06:52:07 -0500, "Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard,
actually Greybeard now" > wrote:

>For those that don't remember, I moved to Merrill, WI last November
>for a pretty good job. Yesterday I got laid off. Oh, they want me
>back but have no contracts signed for new work so they don't know when
>it will be. The vote was 3 to 1 by the owners. How the hell can a
>company with active OSHA complaints function without a safety person?
>
>How do you get people that try to sign checks with a pencil to
>understand just how much money is saved by an active safety person?
>The day before I was laid off I started 4 Powerpoint based training
>refresher programs. All are basically finished except for inserting a
>few pictures and videos. Those programs alone, if purchased from a
>consultant would pay my salary for close to a month. They reinforce
>the OSHA 30 Hour I taught last year and meet all OSHA regs for
>information included in them.
>
>Anyone know of a safety position in Northcentral WI? I really like
>the area and want to stay if I can.
>
>Thanks for letting me vent here. I think I am going to go fishing
>now. I may just anchor on this little lake here in town and drink
>while watching a bobber :<}

>Remove the x for e-mail reply
>www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Marty
September 30th, 2004, 06:04 AM
"Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard now"
> wrote in message
> For those that don't remember, I moved to Merrill, WI last November
> for a pretty good job. Yesterday I got laid off.

Good luck to you. Hope something good happens soon.

alwaysfishking
September 30th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Your on to something Jerry, lets go there as a collective group and pull a
slip and fall, if we all wear fly fishing vests we can double the requested
compensation...we'll make them think twice about safety.. WE Got Ya back
Dan!!!!!!
"Jerry Barton (NervisRek)" > wrote in message
> Dan, you need to tell them that they don't want this group to come up
there
> to kick ass and take names. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, hope it
all
> clears up soon.
>

> "Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard now"
> > wrote in message
> > For those that don't remember, I moved to Merrill, WI last November
> > for a pretty good job. Yesterday I got laid off. Oh, they want me
> > back but have no contracts signed for new work so they don't know when
> > it will be. The vote was 3 to 1 by the owners. How the hell can a
> > company with active OSHA complaints function without a safety person?
> >
> > How do you get people that try to sign checks with a pencil to
> > understand just how much money is saved by an active safety person?
> > The day before I was laid off I started 4 Powerpoint based training
> > refresher programs. All are basically finished except for inserting a
> > few pictures and videos. Those programs alone, if purchased from a
> > consultant would pay my salary for close to a month. They reinforce
> > the OSHA 30 Hour I taught last year and meet all OSHA regs for
> > information included in them.
> >
> > Anyone know of a safety position in Northcentral WI? I really like
> > the area and want to stay if I can.
> >
> > Thanks for letting me vent here. I think I am going to go fishing
> > now. I may just anchor on this little lake here in town and drink
> > while watching a bobber :<}
> >
> > Remove the x for e-mail reply
> > www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
September 30th, 2004, 01:31 PM
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:25:10 GMT, "alwaysfishking"
> sent into the ether:

>Your on to something Jerry, lets go there as a collective group and pull a
>slip and fall, if we all wear fly fishing vests we can double the requested
>compensation...we'll make them think twice about safety.. WE Got Ya back
>Dan!!!!!!

LMAO Thanks man. I love you :<}

>"Jerry Barton (NervisRek)" > wrote in message
>> Dan, you need to tell them that they don't want this group to come up
>there
>> to kick ass and take names. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, hope it
>all
>> clears up soon.
>>

>> "Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard now"
>> > wrote in message
>> > For those that don't remember, I moved to Merrill, WI last November
>> > for a pretty good job. Yesterday I got laid off. Oh, they want me
>> > back but have no contracts signed for new work so they don't know when
>> > it will be. The vote was 3 to 1 by the owners. How the hell can a
>> > company with active OSHA complaints function without a safety person?
>> >
>> > How do you get people that try to sign checks with a pencil to
>> > understand just how much money is saved by an active safety person?
>> > The day before I was laid off I started 4 Powerpoint based training
>> > refresher programs. All are basically finished except for inserting a
>> > few pictures and videos. Those programs alone, if purchased from a
>> > consultant would pay my salary for close to a month. They reinforce
>> > the OSHA 30 Hour I taught last year and meet all OSHA regs for
>> > information included in them.
>> >
>> > Anyone know of a safety position in Northcentral WI? I really like
>> > the area and want to stay if I can.
>> >
>> > Thanks for letting me vent here. I think I am going to go fishing
>> > now. I may just anchor on this little lake here in town and drink
>> > while watching a bobber :<}
>> >
>> > Remove the x for e-mail reply
>> > www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Chris Rennert
September 30th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Dan,

Good luck man, as you confident about your field as you were at the NWC I
cannot see why another company wouldn't pick you up right away, all you need
to do is get an interview, and I think you would be a shoe in.

Chris
"Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard now"
> wrote in message
> For those that don't remember, I moved to Merrill, WI last November
> for a pretty good job. Yesterday I got laid off. Oh, they want me
> back but have no contracts signed for new work so they don't know when
> it will be. The vote was 3 to 1 by the owners. How the hell can a
> company with active OSHA complaints function without a safety person?
>
> How do you get people that try to sign checks with a pencil to
> understand just how much money is saved by an active safety person?
> The day before I was laid off I started 4 Powerpoint based training
> refresher programs. All are basically finished except for inserting a
> few pictures and videos. Those programs alone, if purchased from a
> consultant would pay my salary for close to a month. They reinforce
> the OSHA 30 Hour I taught last year and meet all OSHA regs for
> information included in them.
>
> Anyone know of a safety position in Northcentral WI? I really like
> the area and want to stay if I can.
>
> Thanks for letting me vent here. I think I am going to go fishing
> now. I may just anchor on this little lake here in town and drink
> while watching a bobber :<}
>
> Remove the x for e-mail reply
> www.outdoorfrontiers.com

William Barger
October 1st, 2004, 05:35 AM
I realize that once you find a place you like it is hard to leave.
However, with your expertise and experience I am sure you will have
little trouble finding a new position. Keep your chin up. Hope things
work out for you. Bill

alwaysfishking
October 3rd, 2004, 04:51 AM
Dan wrote:
-- > LMAO Thanks man. I love you :<}

I love you too..now I have to shower I feel dirty. like I did that time
with what's her name :-)

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
October 3rd, 2004, 01:57 PM
On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 23:51:07 -0400, "alwaysfishking"
> sent into the ether:

>Dan wrote:
>-- > LMAO Thanks man. I love you :<}
>

> I love you too..now I have to shower I feel dirty. like I did that time
>with what's her name :-)

Hey, I remember her, we went to high school together. Did she do..
Oops...never mind :<}

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com

alwaysfishking