PDA

View Full Version : Fishing last night...

david
September 30th, 2004, 11:47 AM
True to his promise to help me catch "a dozen of so fish" Derek Moody did
exactly that!

He took me firstly to Weymouth Harbour where we pulled out scad, pollock and
a sand smelt. Lots of them really, certainly near enough the dozen he had
promised and between us well over.

Then we moved to another mark, not sure where (it was late and dark) but it
was on piles and the sea was under us! Lots of fish feeding here but I
cought nowt. Derek caught a few pollock and bass off the fly...but nothing
for me! How frustrating, especially as I could feel them nibbling my fresh
bait!!!

Still, a great evening with great bloke. many thanks Derek, I learn't more
last night than I could have learnt alone in a thousand nights. Certainly
looking forward to going again on my own or with my son to consolidate!

Again, thanks!

david

fantom
October 5th, 2004, 12:00 AM
"david" > wrote in message
> True to his promise to help me catch "a dozen of so fish" Derek Moody did
> exactly that!
>
> He took me firstly to Weymouth Harbour where we pulled out scad, pollock
and
> a sand smelt. Lots of them really, certainly near enough the dozen he had
> promised and between us well over.
>
> Then we moved to another mark, not sure where (it was late and dark) but
it
> was on piles and the sea was under us! Lots of fish feeding here but I
> cought nowt. Derek caught a few pollock and bass off the fly...but
nothing
> for me! How frustrating, especially as I could feel them nibbling my
fresh
> bait!!!
>
> Still, a great evening with great bloke. many thanks Derek, I learn't
more
> last night than I could have learnt alone in a thousand nights. Certainly
> looking forward to going again on my own or with my son to consolidate!
>
> Again, thanks!
>
> david

Im off fishing on this friday and sat down weymouth, dont suppose u got any
tips for the harbour? me and my friend are newbies to fishing but loving it,
only our second trip to weymouth. Any tips appreciated. thanks

Derek.Moody
October 6th, 2004, 04:08 AM
In article >, fantom
> wrote:

> Im off fishing on this friday and sat down weymouth, dont suppose u got any
> tips for the harbour? me and my friend are newbies to fishing but loving it,
> only our second trip to weymouth. Any tips appreciated. thanks

Not a great set of tides. Try fishing down the wall along Customs House
Quay around dusk. Then Maybe aroumd the inner end of the pleasure pier
(float.)

There will be a lot of freshwater flushing through after the recent rain so a
lot of fish will have left the harbout 'til it clears but there will still
be a few below the freshwater layer.

If the weather clears a bit I'll be escorting a yacht in from Cowes on
Saturday, should get into Weymouth about 10pm so if you're still likely to
be about..? Mind you what little tide there is will be spent by then.

If I were you I'd take some spinners, wear waders or wellies at least and
work along the beaches from mid-afternoon.

Cheerio,

--

fantom
October 9th, 2004, 10:56 PM
"Derek.Moody" > wrote in message
> In article >, fantom
> > wrote:
>
>> Im off fishing on this friday and sat down weymouth, dont suppose u got
>> any
>> tips for the harbour? me and my friend are newbies to fishing but loving
>> it,
>> only our second trip to weymouth. Any tips appreciated. thanks
>
> Not a great set of tides. Try fishing down the wall along Customs House
> Quay around dusk. Then Maybe aroumd the inner end of the pleasure pier
> (float.)
>
> There will be a lot of freshwater flushing through after the recent rain
> so a
> lot of fish will have left the harbout 'til it clears but there will still
> be a few below the freshwater layer.
>
> If the weather clears a bit I'll be escorting a yacht in from Cowes on
> Saturday, should get into Weymouth about 10pm so if you're still likely to
> be about..? Mind you what little tide there is will be spent by then.
>
> If I were you I'd take some spinners, wear waders or wellies at least and
> work along the beaches from mid-afternoon.
>
> Cheerio,

Hi Derek, sorry not replying, came down with flu and fishing fell thru. Non
the less, i really apprecated the reply, i wouldnt mind dropping u a mail if
that ok, before we come down next time, month or so, so you could give us
some pointers, even if it just via email.

thanks again.

Derek.Moody
October 10th, 2004, 04:02 PM
In article >, fantom
> wrote:

> Hi Derek, sorry not replying, came down with flu and fishing fell thru. Non

and the weather meant I wasn't on the water yesterday either.

> the less, i really apprecated the reply, i wouldnt mind dropping u a mail if
> that ok,

Fine.

> before we come down next time, month or so, so you could give us
> some pointers, even if it just via email.

Don't leave it that long. The fishing's pretty good atm but a few more storms
could kybosh it early. Should be OK for at least another month though.

Cheerio,