PDA

View Full Version : Finally, a good tournament

RGarri7470
October 4th, 2004, 01:42 AM
Fifteen members of the Spalding County Sportsman Club fished our September
tournament at West Point last weekend -9/25&26. The two day tournament was
scheduled last January and we had no idea two hurricanes would dump water into
the lake just before the tournament and another one headed this way would make
us fight strong winds both days.

The lake from Wehadkee Creek upstream was muddy and the mud moved further down
the lake each day. Some of the creeks near the dam were fairly clear and that
is where most people headed to fish.

Even under bad conditions we had one of our best tournaments in years. There
were 17 limits of five bass brought to the scales and most people reported
catching many more than five keepers. Almost all the bass were spotted bass and
not very big, but they were fun to catch.

Kwong Yu continued his wining ways at West Point, taking first place and big
fish. His ten bass weighing 19.44 pounds was first and he weighed in a 4.58
pound largemouth for the big fish award. I landed 10 weighing 16.08 pounds for
second, James Pilgrim, Jr. had 9 at 15.44 pounds for third and Jimmy Waddle
took 4th with 10 weighing 15.24 pounds.

We started at 7:00 Saturday morning and my partner Ronnie Long and I headed to
a rocky point. We landed five keeper bass and lost two more before 7:30, then
it slowed way down I managed to land four more and cull my limit and Ronnie
ended up with three keepers.

When we got to the point that morning there was a boat sitting on it so I went
around to the back side. After a few minutes I heard the other boat leave, so I
put the trolling motor on high and headed that way throwing a spinnerbait. As
we rounded the point I landed a keeper spot, then a couple of casts later got a
second one. About that time Ronnie got a keeper spot on a spinnerbait.

When I went around the point I turned and picked up a crawfish Deep Little N
crankbait. I fished it going back and landed a bigger spot on this pass - one
of my two biggest fish. On the next pass I threw a different crankbait, a shad
colored Fat Free Shad, and landed my biggest fish of the day, a 2.2 pound
largemouth.

That was it until 10:30 when I landed a 13 inch bass and put it in the
livewell. After making two casts I remembered it was a largemouth - and
largemouth have to be 14 inches long at West Point. I had been putting 13 inch
spots in the livewell and did not think. Had to dig around and find the
largemouth and let it go.

It took another hour to finally land a keeper spot - about 13 inches long. I
also landed a 3 pound cat on my big crankbait. Thought I had a good bass!
Ronnie landed two more keepers during the day, one good spot that hit a
crankbait and a small spot that hit a worm.

Just before weigh-in we stopped on a old roadbed near the launch site and I
landed two more keeper spots but neither were big enough to cull what I had.

The next morning Ronnie could not fish so I was alone. I headed to that same
point and made a lot of cast. At 8:30 I had not caught a keeper bass. Then a
small keeper spot hit my spinnerbait. After that I backed out to deeper water
and ended up catching 12 keepers on Carolina rigged worms, including two
largemouth.

At one point I made five casts to a brushpile in about 15 feet of water. The
first cast produced a 4 inch pumpkinseed, next cast a throwback spot, then
three keeper spots in a row. Just before having to head in I cast out to a
brushpile in 16 feet of water and landed my two biggest of the day, a 16 inch
largemouth and a 15 inch spot. I had five spots over 14 inches long and two
largemouth over 14 inches, as well as the other keeper spots over 12 inches.
Most of them hit Carolina rigged black/red flake Trick worms.

We weighed in a total of 110 keeper bass weighing 155 pounds in this
tournament. Of those 110 keepers, 91 were spotted bass. It sure was nice
hitting the lake right for a change!

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

go-bassn
October 4th, 2004, 01:47 AM
Great job Ronnie!

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com

"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> [...]
> largemouth.
>
> At one point I made five casts to a brushpile in about 15 feet of water.
The
> first cast produced a 4 inch pumpkinseed, next cast a throwback spot, then
> three keeper spots in a row. Just before having to head in I cast out to
> brushpile in 16 feet of water and landed my two biggest of the day, a 16
inch
> largemouth and a 15 inch spot. I had five spots over 14 inches long and
two
> largemouth over 14 inches, as well as the other keeper spots over 12
inches.
> Most of them hit Carolina rigged black/red flake Trick worms.
>
> We weighed in a total of 110 keeper bass weighing 155 pounds in this
> tournament. Of those 110 keepers, 91 were spotted bass. It sure was nice

alwaysfishking
October 4th, 2004, 01:50 AM
Sounds like a great day Ronnie, those trick worms are they called ruby
something ? I got a bunch in that blk/red color and when pre fishing in Okee
back in April they fish hit them non stop.. I need a day out like that...
:-)

> [...]
> largemouth.
>
> At one point I made five casts to a brushpile in about 15 feet of water.
The
> first cast produced a 4 inch pumpkinseed, next cast a throwback spot, then
> three keeper spots in a row. Just before having to head in I cast out to
> brushpile in 16 feet of water and landed my two biggest of the day, a 16
inch
> largemouth and a 15 inch spot. I had five spots over 14 inches long and
two
> largemouth over 14 inches, as well as the other keeper spots over 12
inches.
> Most of them hit Carolina rigged black/red flake Trick worms.
>
> We weighed in a total of 110 keeper bass weighing 155 pounds in this
> tournament. Of those 110 keepers, 91 were spotted bass. It sure was nice

John Kerr
October 4th, 2004, 02:32 AM
Congrats on a great tourament!
JK

Finally, a good tournament

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Mon, Oct 4, 2004, 12:42am (CDT+5)
From: (RGarri7470)
[...]

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
October 4th, 2004, 02:41 AM
Sounds like a good time. Glad you did well.

On 04 Oct 2004 00:42:53 GMT, (RGarri7470) sent into
the ether:

> [...]
>small keeper spot hit my spinnerbait. After that I backed out to deeper water
>and ended up catching 12 keepers on Carolina rigged worms, including two
>largemouth.
>
>At one point I made five casts to a brushpile in about 15 feet of water. The
>first cast produced a 4 inch pumpkinseed, next cast a throwback spot, then
>three keeper spots in a row. Just before having to head in I cast out to a
>brushpile in 16 feet of water and landed my two biggest of the day, a 16 inch
>largemouth and a 15 inch spot. I had five spots over 14 inches long and two
>largemouth over 14 inches, as well as the other keeper spots over 12 inches.
>Most of them hit Carolina rigged black/red flake Trick worms.
>
>We weighed in a total of 110 keeper bass weighing 155 pounds in this
>tournament. Of those 110 keepers, 91 were spotted bass. It sure was nice

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Andrew Kidd
October 4th, 2004, 12:00 PM
"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> We weighed in a total of 110 keeper bass weighing 155 pounds in this
> tournament. Of those 110 keepers, 91 were spotted bass. It sure was nice
> hitting the lake right for a change!
>
> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

Now that sounds like a lot of fun! Congrats Ronnie. Sure that didn't hurt
your club standings at all, either.
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

RGarri7470
October 5th, 2004, 03:05 AM
>those trick worms are they called ruby
>something ?

Yes - some packs are labled black ruby and others black red glitter - same
worm, same color. Some may just be older packs. I caught four of my fish in the
top six on that color too.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

RGarri7470
October 5th, 2004, 03:07 AM
>Sure that didn't hurt
>your club standings at all, either.
>--
>Andrew Kidd

Kwong and I have been swapping first and second all year - I went ahead of him
at the August tournament by a lot - he zeroed, but he gained two points back in
this one. We have battled for first in this club for the past three years - he
won three years ago and I have won the past two.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

go-bassn
October 5th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Any thro-aways Ron?

WW

"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> >Sure that didn't hurt
> >your club standings at all, either.
> >--
> >Andrew Kidd
>
> Kwong and I have been swapping first and second all year - I went ahead of
him
> at the August tournament by a lot - he zeroed, but he gained two points
back in
> this one. We have battled for first in this club for the past three
years - he
> won three years ago and I have won the past two.
> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

RGarri7470
October 6th, 2004, 01:59 AM
>Any thro-aways Ron?
>
>WW

No, we count all 12 tournaments. One way we use points is to encourage people
to fish all the tournaments so having any to drop defeats that.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Jim Laumann
October 6th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Ronnie

Congrats - belatedly.

Jim

On 04 Oct 2004 00:42:53 GMT, (RGarri7470) wrote:

> [...]
>small keeper spot hit my spinnerbait. After that I backed out to deeper water
>and ended up catching 12 keepers on Carolina rigged worms, including two
>largemouth.
>
>At one point I made five casts to a brushpile in about 15 feet of water. The
>first cast produced a 4 inch pumpkinseed, next cast a throwback spot, then
>three keeper spots in a row. Just before having to head in I cast out to a
>brushpile in 16 feet of water and landed my two biggest of the day, a 16 inch
>largemouth and a 15 inch spot. I had five spots over 14 inches long and two
>largemouth over 14 inches, as well as the other keeper spots over 12 inches.
>Most of them hit Carolina rigged black/red flake Trick worms.
>
>We weighed in a total of 110 keeper bass weighing 155 pounds in this
>tournament. Of those 110 keepers, 91 were spotted bass. It sure was nice

go-bassn
October 6th, 2004, 07:02 PM
That's pretty rough. Sometimes sh-t happens & people are forced to miss one
or two,not to mention the possibility of a skunk showing up.

Warren