PDA

View Full Version : Lake Powell

www112
October 4th, 2004, 02:51 AM
Has anyone recently done any fishing at Lake Powell? How was it?
Where did you go? Just curious. I did some fishing up in the San
Juan arm over the summmer. It wasn't too good.

Bob La Londe
October 5th, 2004, 03:45 PM
First off... No. Haven't been to Powell in years. However, The San Juan
used to have a rep for crappie fishing. I never caught a lot of black bass
on Powell, but we sure saw a lot of good size large mouth. With my newer
knowledge of bassin since then I think I would throw topwater from way back
ealry and then work deep diving very natural crank baits and drop shots
later in the day. Other than during spawn and prespawn I think I would go
with that patern most of the year there.

As to feeding frenzy activity, if you want black bass I would probably avoid
it. There are so many striper in that lake that is all you are likely to
catch chasing boils.

I might try bluegill and sunfish pattern baits. There are good size
bluegill everywhere in that lake.

If you want to catch striper chase boild early and late. Fish 20-80 feet on
shear cliff faces that are very deep (100+) during the day. These tend to
be larger than the schoolies you catch chasing boils.

As far as I have heard the low water has not made huge differences in the
patterns, just relocated the fish to places that are still under water.
(LOL)

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing