PDA

View Full Version : Flippin the Chocolate

go-bassn
October 4th, 2004, 03:52 AM
During Saturday's tournament I fished with a flippin stick for the first
time ever on the Delaware. I
followed all the basic muddy water guidelines. Big bulky lure (4" Mizmo Fat
Boy Tube), noisy (inserted a Mizmo Rook's Thunder Rattle in the tube), heavy
(pegged a 5/8 bullet sinker to the tube), shallow (all 5 fish came within
inches of structure in less than 2 feet of water). The muddy water let me
get close to the fish (all were nailed with simple flippin/pitchin
technique, less than
15' of line off my rodtip) & also let me get away with using whatever line I
wanted (25# Big Game, normally 8-12# is standard for the Delaware). All the
fish hit on the initial presentation, not on the retrieve. So much though,
in fact, that by mid day I was dropping the tube in, jiggling it & pulling
it right out. This backs my theory that the entry of a bait into the water
in muddy conditions is a major element in drawing strikes. I tried to make
each flip enter the water with a "plop" (but not a splash). I believe the
plop makes it sound like an injured baitfish on the surface. I think that
draws bass to the lure before it even gets to the bottom. The plop is
made by thumbing the spool to a stop just before it contacts the water. I
actually
enjoyed fishing the chocolate milk this time. I'm starting to really dig
the flippin stick too, I can rip any sized fish right into the boat...

As for the tournament I came in 4th, but I did have one of the 2 limits.
Sadly my fish were all typical Delaware River LM's (1.25-1.5# rats). I did
drop a good one on a dropshot (that never happens), and I also think I
missed a bass on the tube on my second pitch of the morning, but I'll never
know. I pulled up at the marina breakwall with 4 keepers & 10 minutes to
go, tossed my old reliable Zoom craw to the base of the riprap, and boated
my 5th keeper.

Sweet, love when that happens.

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com

William Barger
October 4th, 2004, 04:12 AM
Congratulations Warren. Fourth place and one of only two limits is not
to shaggy. Way to go!
Bill

RichZ
October 4th, 2004, 06:25 AM
I was doing the opposite this weekend. I fished a tourney, which I rarely
do anymore. Team tourney, 6 fish limit. This is in a good late season lake
where deep finesse fishing has always been productive. I expected it to
take 16 pounds or so to win. We came in 3rd and just .02 pounds behind 2nd,
with 5 that weighed 10.82 pounds. First was just over 13 pounds for the
only 6 fish limit of the day.

We caught one fish in the 1st 15 minutes, one fish in the last 15 minutes,
and 3 fish in about 3 minutes at 10AM. I also dropped one in that flurry.
All fish came drop shotting in 20 to 28 feet of water. The 2nd place team
also drop shotted. The First place team deadsticked baby brush hogs in the
same depth range. They caught 4 fish throughout the day, and each caught a
fish on their last cast to make their limit.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Chris Rennert
October 4th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Way to go Warren? Did you get to use the new craws at all???

Chris
"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> During Saturday's tournament I fished with a flippin stick for the first
> time ever on the Delaware. I
> followed all the basic muddy water guidelines. Big bulky lure (4" Mizmo
> Fat
> Boy Tube), noisy (inserted a Mizmo Rook's Thunder Rattle in the tube),
> heavy
> (pegged a 5/8 bullet sinker to the tube), shallow (all 5 fish came within
> inches of structure in less than 2 feet of water). The muddy water let me
> get close to the fish (all were nailed with simple flippin/pitchin
> technique, less than
> 15' of line off my rodtip) & also let me get away with using whatever line
> wanted (25# Big Game, normally 8-12# is standard for the Delaware). All
> the
> fish hit on the initial presentation, not on the retrieve. So much
> though,
> in fact, that by mid day I was dropping the tube in, jiggling it & pulling
> it right out. This backs my theory that the entry of a bait into the
> water
> in muddy conditions is a major element in drawing strikes. I tried to
> make
> each flip enter the water with a "plop" (but not a splash). I believe the
> plop makes it sound like an injured baitfish on the surface. I think that
> draws bass to the lure before it even gets to the bottom. The plop is
> made by thumbing the spool to a stop just before it contacts the water. I
> actually
> enjoyed fishing the chocolate milk this time. I'm starting to really dig
> the flippin stick too, I can rip any sized fish right into the boat...
>
> As for the tournament I came in 4th, but I did have one of the 2 limits.
> Sadly my fish were all typical Delaware River LM's (1.25-1.5# rats). I
> did
> drop a good one on a dropshot (that never happens), and I also think I
> missed a bass on the tube on my second pitch of the morning, but I'll
> never
> know. I pulled up at the marina breakwall with 4 keepers & 10 minutes to
> go, tossed my old reliable Zoom craw to the base of the riprap, and boated
> my 5th keeper.
>
> Sweet, love when that happens.
>
> Warren
> --
> http://www.warrenwolk.com/
> http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
> 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

Chris Rennert
October 4th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Congrats on the finish Rich, sounds like the group had a great weekend!

Chris
"RichZ" > wrote in message
>I was doing the opposite this weekend. I fished a tourney, which I rarely
> do anymore. Team tourney, 6 fish limit. This is in a good late season lake
> where deep finesse fishing has always been productive. I expected it to
> take 16 pounds or so to win. We came in 3rd and just .02 pounds behind
> 2nd,
> with 5 that weighed 10.82 pounds. First was just over 13 pounds for the
> only 6 fish limit of the day.
>
> We caught one fish in the 1st 15 minutes, one fish in the last 15 minutes,
> and 3 fish in about 3 minutes at 10AM. I also dropped one in that flurry.
> All fish came drop shotting in 20 to 28 feet of water. The 2nd place team
> also drop shotted. The First place team deadsticked baby brush hogs in the
> same depth range. They caught 4 fish throughout the day, and each caught a
> fish on their last cast to make their limit.
>
> RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing

go-bassn
October 4th, 2004, 03:56 PM
I had it tied on Chris, but honestly never threw it. Next time...

Warren

"Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
. ..
> Way to go Warren? Did you get to use the new craws at all???
>
> Chris
> "go-bassn" > wrote in message
> > During Saturday's tournament I fished with a flippin stick for the first
> > time ever on the Delaware. I
> > followed all the basic muddy water guidelines. Big bulky lure (4" Mizmo
> > Fat
> > Boy Tube), noisy (inserted a Mizmo Rook's Thunder Rattle in the tube),
> > heavy
> > (pegged a 5/8 bullet sinker to the tube), shallow (all 5 fish came
within
> > inches of structure in less than 2 feet of water). The muddy water let
me
> > get close to the fish (all were nailed with simple flippin/pitchin
> > technique, less than
> > 15' of line off my rodtip) & also let me get away with using whatever
line
> > wanted (25# Big Game, normally 8-12# is standard for the Delaware). All
> > the
> > fish hit on the initial presentation, not on the retrieve. So much
> > though,
> > in fact, that by mid day I was dropping the tube in, jiggling it &
pulling
> > it right out. This backs my theory that the entry of a bait into the
> > water
> > in muddy conditions is a major element in drawing strikes. I tried to
> > make
> > each flip enter the water with a "plop" (but not a splash). I believe
the
> > plop makes it sound like an injured baitfish on the surface. I think
that
> > draws bass to the lure before it even gets to the bottom. The plop is
> > made by thumbing the spool to a stop just before it contacts the water.
> > actually
> > enjoyed fishing the chocolate milk this time. I'm starting to really
dig
> > the flippin stick too, I can rip any sized fish right into the boat...
> >
> > As for the tournament I came in 4th, but I did have one of the 2 limits.
> > Sadly my fish were all typical Delaware River LM's (1.25-1.5# rats). I
> > did
> > drop a good one on a dropshot (that never happens), and I also think I
> > missed a bass on the tube on my second pitch of the morning, but I'll
> > never
> > know. I pulled up at the marina breakwall with 4 keepers & 10 minutes
> > go, tossed my old reliable Zoom craw to the base of the riprap, and
boated
> > my 5th keeper.
> >
> > Sweet, love when that happens.
> >
> > Warren
> > --
> > http://www.warrenwolk.com/
> > http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
> > 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

Chris Rennert
October 4th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Probably wasn't the best conditions for that pattern anyway, depending on
what visibility was. Congrats anyway though, did you get some hardware and
$$ for just $$???

Chris

"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> >
>> > As for the tournament I came in 4th, but I did have one of the 2
>> > limits.
>> > Sadly my fish were all typical Delaware River LM's (1.25-1.5# rats). I
>> > did
>> > drop a good one on a dropshot (that never happens), and I also think I
>> > missed a bass on the tube on my second pitch of the morning, but I'll
>> > never
>> > know. I pulled up at the marina breakwall with 4 keepers & 10 minutes
>> > go, tossed my old reliable Zoom craw to the base of the riprap, and
> boated
>> > my 5th keeper.
>> >
>> > Sweet, love when that happens.
>> >
>> > Warren
>> > --
>> > http://www.warrenwolk.com/
>> > http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
>> > 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

October 4th, 2004, 05:53 PM
No hardware lol. Exactly on the vis, it was less than 1'. I liked the fact
that I could put the mega rattle in the tube.

Warren

"Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
. ..
> Probably wasn't the best conditions for that pattern anyway, depending on
> what visibility was. Congrats anyway though, did you get some hardware
and
> $$ for just $$???
>
> Chris
> "go-bassn" > wrote in message
> >I had it tied on Chris, but honestly never threw it. Next time...
> >
> > Warren
> >
> > "Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
> > . ..
> >> Way to go Warren? Did you get to use the new craws at all???
> >>
> >> Chris
> > within
> > me
> > line
> > pulling
> > the
> > that
> > dig

> > boated

go-bassn
October 4th, 2004, 05:53 PM
No hardware lol. Exactly on the vis, it was less than 1'. I liked the fact
that I could put the mega rattle in the tube.

Warren

"Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
. ..
> Probably wasn't the best conditions for that pattern anyway, depending on
> what visibility was. Congrats anyway though, did you get some hardware
and
> $$ for just $$???
>
> Chris
> "go-bassn" > wrote in message
> >I had it tied on Chris, but honestly never threw it. Next time...
> >
> > Warren
> >
> > "Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
> > . ..
> >> Way to go Warren? Did you get to use the new craws at all???
> >>
> >> Chris
> > within
> > me
> > line
> > pulling
> > the
> > that
> > dig

> > boated

RGarri7470
October 5th, 2004, 02:54 AM
>Exactly on the vis, it was less than 1'.

Am I understanding right that the visibility was less than a foot but you are
calling that real muddy? If I can see a bait 10 inches down here I call that a
good stain - muddy is when the bait disappears as soon as it goes under the
water, not unusual in the winter. Now that is tough fishing.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

go-bassn
October 5th, 2004, 05:08 AM
Good job Z.

WW;-)
--

"RichZ" > wrote in message
>I was doing the opposite this weekend. I fished a tourney, which I rarely
> do anymore. Team tourney, 6 fish limit. This is in a good late season lake
> where deep finesse fishing has always been productive. I expected it to
> take 16 pounds or so to win. We came in 3rd and just .02 pounds behind
> 2nd,
> with 5 that weighed 10.82 pounds. First was just over 13 pounds for the
> only 6 fish limit of the day.
>
> We caught one fish in the 1st 15 minutes, one fish in the last 15 minutes,
> and 3 fish in about 3 minutes at 10AM. I also dropped one in that flurry.
> All fish came drop shotting in 20 to 28 feet of water. The 2nd place team
> also drop shotted. The First place team deadsticked baby brush hogs in the
> same depth range. They caught 4 fish throughout the day, and each caught a
> fish on their last cast to make their limit.
>
> RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing

go-bassn
October 5th, 2004, 05:12 AM
I hear ya Ronnie. The tidal Delaware is like a big blender. The water
level rises & falls 8' twice a day. It had dozens of major tributaries.
It's extreme tidewater.

Saturday the visibility was always less than 1', less than 1" in places. If
you serch really hard you can find tiny areas of significantly clearer
water.

If you haven't fished tidal rivers it's hard to imagine. Ever fished one
Ronnie?

Warren
--

"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> >Exactly on the vis, it was less than 1'.
>
> Am I understanding right that the visibility was less than a foot but you
> are
> calling that real muddy? If I can see a bait 10 inches down here I call
> that a
> good stain - muddy is when the bait disappears as soon as it goes under
> the
> water, not unusual in the winter. Now that is tough fishing.
> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

Alwaysfishking
October 5th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Part of the bigger lake up here was like that recently, sombody bought a big
house on the lake and landscaped the hell out of it, when it rains that part
of the lake has no visibility. As soon as the lure hits the water it's
gone!!!!

"RGarri7470" > wrote in message
> >Exactly on the vis, it was less than 1'.
>
> Am I understanding right that the visibility was less than a foot but you
are
> calling that real muddy? If I can see a bait 10 inches down here I call
that a
> good stain - muddy is when the bait disappears as soon as it goes under
the
> water, not unusual in the winter. Now that is tough fishing.
> Ronnie
>
> http://fishing.about.com

Jim Laumann
October 6th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Warren

Sounds like it was a fun day.

Jim

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 22:52:37 -0400, "go-bassn"
> wrote:

>During Saturday's tournament I fished with a flippin stick for the first
>time ever on the Delaware. I
>followed all the basic muddy water guidelines. Big bulky lure (4" Mizmo Fat
>Boy Tube), noisy (inserted a Mizmo Rook's Thunder Rattle in the tube), heavy
>(pegged a 5/8 bullet sinker to the tube), shallow (all 5 fish came within
>inches of structure in less than 2 feet of water). The muddy water let me
>get close to the fish (all were nailed with simple flippin/pitchin
>technique, less than
>15' of line off my rodtip) & also let me get away with using whatever line I
>wanted (25# Big Game, normally 8-12# is standard for the Delaware). All the
>fish hit on the initial presentation, not on the retrieve. So much though,
>in fact, that by mid day I was dropping the tube in, jiggling it & pulling
>it right out. This backs my theory that the entry of a bait into the water
>in muddy conditions is a major element in drawing strikes. I tried to make
>each flip enter the water with a "plop" (but not a splash). I believe the
>plop makes it sound like an injured baitfish on the surface. I think that
>draws bass to the lure before it even gets to the bottom. The plop is
>made by thumbing the spool to a stop just before it contacts the water. I
>actually
>enjoyed fishing the chocolate milk this time. I'm starting to really dig
>the flippin stick too, I can rip any sized fish right into the boat...
>
>As for the tournament I came in 4th, but I did have one of the 2 limits.
>Sadly my fish were all typical Delaware River LM's (1.25-1.5# rats). I did
>drop a good one on a dropshot (that never happens), and I also think I
>missed a bass on the tube on my second pitch of the morning, but I'll never
>know. I pulled up at the marina breakwall with 4 keepers & 10 minutes to
>go, tossed my old reliable Zoom craw to the base of the riprap, and boated
>my 5th keeper.
>
>Sweet, love when that happens.
>
>Warren

Brad Coovert
October 6th, 2004, 03:35 AM
Way to go Warren!

Bang those tubes on that fish's head and he's gonna eat it for sure!

BTW - that 1' of visibilty ain't chocolate. That's just light coffee. I'd
take that and a shallow bite any day.

Heck, right now, I'd take any water and one fish.

Brad Coovert
2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
http://www.greenfieldbassmasters.com

RGarri7470
October 13th, 2004, 02:26 AM
>If you haven't fished tidal rivers it's hard to imagine. Ever fished one
>Ronnie?

A few - but not many. Don't fish them often here in middle Georgia.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com