PDA

View Full Version : Chesil

PhilG
October 4th, 2004, 12:36 PM
A few of us will be hopefully travelling down to Chesil Beach in the very
near future. Considering that the weather has not been all that brilliant
are there any dangers we should be aware of with regard to wind direction
and speed.

Also, what would we expect to catch at this time of the year!??

Derek.Moody
October 4th, 2004, 06:11 PM
In article >, PhilG
> wrote:
> A few of us will be hopefully travelling down to Chesil Beach in the very
> near future. Considering that the weather has not been all that brilliant
> are there any dangers we should be aware of with regard to wind direction
> and speed.

I took a look at the western end yesterday (not fishing) and it would just
about have been fishable though there was a great deal of weed on the
surface.

Any sw gale will put up a sea, it can come over the top of the beach when
things get really nasty so you are wise to check.

When you get to the top of the beach stop and watch for a while. The first
step in the shingle marks the level of the average waves on the last stand
of the tide. The line of jetsam marks the larger recent waves. After ten
minutes the biggest wave you have seen was probably 90% of the biggest
you'll see -if- the conditions do not change.

Local longshoreman say 'Dead men have wet feet' meaning that if a wave
reaches your ankles it will whip the shingle out from under your feet and
you will go in. There is always an undertow.

> Also, what would we expect to catch at this time of the year!??

Er, late mackerel, gar, triggers, pout, the odd bass and gurnard...

Cheerio,

--

Sandpiper
October 4th, 2004, 06:48 PM
If you've strong South Westerlys I would imagine that you'd get a fair
amount of spray in your face; as to fish I hope someone else can answer that
one ;}