PDA

View Full Version : Drop Shot Rod

Chris Rennert
October 6th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Hey all,

I just wanted to pose the question, what is your choice for a drop shot rod.
Action, Length, handle type. Currently I am using a 7'6" St Croix Premier
mod-fast. I like the extra length for handling fish with lighter line. I
am going to purchase a couple more over the winter, as well as a few more
baitcasting combos, I still have a few situations that I am not totally
prepared for.

Thanks for your opinions and input!

Chris

Thundercat
October 6th, 2004, 11:10 PM
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:30:42 -0500, "Chris Rennert"
> wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>I just wanted to pose the question, what is your choice for a drop shot rod.
>Action, Length, handle type. Currently I am using a 7'6" St Croix Premier
>mod-fast. I like the extra length for handling fish with lighter line. I
>am going to purchase a couple more over the winter, as well as a few more
>baitcasting combos, I still have a few situations that I am not totally
>prepared for.
>
>Thanks for your opinions and input!
>
>Chris

I use a St Croix Premier light / fast 6' spinning rod.

Harry J aka Thundercat
Brooklyn Bill's Tackle Shop Fishing Team
http://www.geocities.com/brooklynbill2003/products.html
Share the knowledge, compete on execution.

Chris S
October 6th, 2004, 11:33 PM
I am using Gloomis DSR822C 6' 10" Ex-Fast...Love it so far :)

--
---- Chris S ----

( replace com with net to E-mail)

"Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hey all,
>
> I just wanted to pose the question, what is your choice for a drop shot
> rod. Action, Length, handle type. Currently I am using a 7'6" St Croix
> Premier mod-fast. I like the extra length for handling fish with lighter
> line. I am going to purchase a couple more over the winter, as well as a
> few more baitcasting combos, I still have a few situations that I am not
> totally prepared for.
>
> Thanks for your opinions and input!
>
> Chris

Chris S
October 6th, 2004, 11:56 PM
oops... DSR822S Spinning not Baitcaster

--

"Chris S" > wrote in message
>I am using Gloomis DSR822C 6' 10" Ex-Fast...Love it so far :)
>

> --
> ---- Chris S ----
>
> ( replace com with net to E-mail)
>
> "Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I just wanted to pose the question, what is your choice for a drop shot
>> rod. Action, Length, handle type. Currently I am using a 7'6" St Croix
>> Premier mod-fast. I like the extra length for handling fish with lighter
>> line. I am going to purchase a couple more over the winter, as well as a
>> few more baitcasting combos, I still have a few situations that I am not
>> totally prepared for.
>>
>> Thanks for your opinions and input!
>>
>> Chris

Shawn
October 7th, 2004, 12:26 AM
My one and only drop shot rod I just purchased this spring is a St. Croix
Premier 7'0" medium-light-fast and I find it's a great rod. I just couldn't
afford a $150 to $200 rod, and this one seems to be working just fine. Just
started learning the technique this year, and I've taken some fish with it.
I've even started drop-shotting in 6-8 feet of water in thick milfoil
pockets with anything from small or large worms, lizards, flukes, you name
it. I find I catch more fish that way than I do pitching and flipping
weighted tubes or what-have-you. I find I can feel the pick-ups better.
Only problem after that is getting them out of the weeds with my 10-lb
flurocarbon !!!

Shawn

"Chris Rennert" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hey all,
>
> I just wanted to pose the question, what is your choice for a drop shot
rod.
> Action, Length, handle type. Currently I am using a 7'6" St Croix
Premier
> mod-fast. I like the extra length for handling fish with lighter line. I
> am going to purchase a couple more over the winter, as well as a few more
> baitcasting combos, I still have a few situations that I am not totally
> prepared for.
>
> Thanks for your opinions and input!
>
> Chris

RichZ
October 7th, 2004, 01:40 AM
Chris Rennert wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I just wanted to pose the question, what is your choice for a drop shot rod.
> Action, Length, handle type. Currently I am using a 7'6" St Croix Premier
> mod-fast. I like the extra length for handling fish with lighter line. I
> am going to purchase a couple more over the winter, as well as a few more
> baitcasting combos, I still have a few situations that I am not totally
> prepared for.
>
> Thanks for your opinions and input!
>
> Chris

Steve Huber built me the perfect light dropshot rod last year. It's 7-0,
light action with a moderately slow taper. Fuji concept guides and an
all cork, Tennessee handle complete the package. I've drop shotted for
years, and used dozens of different rods. I can honestly say that this
is the best drop shot rod for light dsrop shotting (4 to 6 lb line in
reasonably open water) that I've ever used. On the other hand, for Bubba
shot fishing (12 to 20 pound test and 1/2 to 1 oz weights in heavy
vegies) I like an Allstar SJ1 casting rod. It's got a little slower
taper than most rods in its class, is just long enough and meaty enough
to lean on a fish and get it's head pointed in the right direction.

Nikolay
October 7th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Dear Steve, please e-mail me the price of that rod:
nvozdols(at)ecs.umass.edu

TIA,
Nikolay