PDA

View Full Version : Re: Rod eye repair?

Marty
October 11th, 2004, 06:10 AM
> Wouldn't know if you'd call it high quality or not..it's a BPS extreme.
> Think it's best if I let my local tackle shop take care of it?

Only you can answer that. But if I can replace a tip-top, anyone can. Like
others said, heat the tube, then pull it off with pliers. Remove old dried
glue from the rod tip, then apply hot melt glue (some guys recommend
5-minute epoxy and other adhesives) and slip the new tip-top over the rod
tip. On the other hand, if the tackle shop's price is reasonable and they
don't have to keep the rod too long, I'd consider that. Here, I'd have to
leave the rod for a minimum of one week, and probably longer, because they
contract it out, they don't do it in-house.

>I'd rather
> not deal with shipping it back to BPS and such as I'm sure this will take
> much longer than necessary.

I wouldn't even consider that except as a very last resort.

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
October 12th, 2004, 05:28 PM
"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> On high quality rods you can usually remove them by heating the metal tube
> and pulling the tip off the rod. On many cheap rods the tip of the rod
> melts when you try to get metal hot enough to get the tip off hte rod.

Any rod blank will melt if enough heat is applied, it doesn't matter what
the quality of the blank is. The trick is to apply a pulling/twisting
motion as the heat is applied. Then you can be assured that you haven't
heated the tip too much.

Chris, the insert in the guide is definitely needed and if you've been
fishing with the insert missing, you'd better check your line to make sure
that it hasn't been chewed up by the damaged tip.

You should be able to buy new tips at just about any sporting goods store,
and usually tip replacement can be done while you wait. DON'T fish the rod
until the repair is made.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Bob La Londe
October 12th, 2004, 11:53 PM
"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" > wrote in
message ...

> "Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> > On high quality rods you can usually remove them by heating the metal
tube
> > and pulling the tip off the rod. On many cheap rods the tip of the rod
> > melts when you try to get metal hot enough to get the tip off hte rod.
>
> Any rod blank will melt if enough heat is applied, it doesn't matter what
> the quality of the blank is.

You are correct of course. I have just noticed that some rods break down
before the glue does. Particularly some of the old hollow glass rods.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Christopher P. Cericola
October 13th, 2004, 12:41 AM
"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" > wrote in
message ...
< Chris, the insert in the guide is definitely needed and if you've been
fishing with the insert missing, you'd better check your line to make sure
that it hasn't been chewed up by the damaged tip. >

Already check that..it was only one cast but I'll probably still strip it
all off(especially since I seem low).

< You should be able to buy new tips at just about any sporting goods store,
and usually tip replacement can be done while you wait. DON'T fish the rod
until the repair is made. >

I haven't. :( It makes me sad.

Thank to you Steve and thank to everyone else who also chimed in with great
advice.

Christopher